Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is kind of crazy consider the talent level of the LSU OL and WR corps.

e: beaten. Still nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Jayden has red flags that like I just do not like with his process, things that were covered up(like Justin's flaws, outside of Justin's long winded mechanics, I like Jayden's mechanics) by an elite OL and two top 20 WR's.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjaminSolak/status/1780678317042974861

Really hope Washington is able to protect Jayden like LSU could this past year.

same picture meme with Justin Fields and Jayden Daniels

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

Jayden has red flags that like I just do not like with his process, things that were covered up(like Justin's flaws, outside of Justin's long winded mechanics, I like Jayden's mechanics) by an elite OL and two top 20 WR's.

Yeah you really dislike Jayden.

That pie chart is kind of silly because two big pieces of the pie are basically “turn negative plays into positive plays, some of which are exceptionally positive plays”.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
imma need to see more bad pie charts from other qbs to have any point of reference, i also don't understand why running for a positive gain is somehow a bad thing when you have a dual threat qb

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Relentlessboredomm posted:

imma need to see more bad pie charts from other qbs to have any point of reference, i also don't understand why running for a positive gain is somehow a bad thing when you have a dual threat qb

Something something play the game the right way

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah you really dislike Jayden.

That pie chart is kind of silly because two big pieces of the pie are basically “turn negative plays into positive plays, some of which are exceptionally positive plays”.

I don't dislike him, in that like I think he's a First round QB, I think that if you can protect him he can be pretty good, but like quarterbacks who had a ton of success in college, and showed similar process as he does in college him did not do so well in the NFL.

I'm willing to admit I could be wrong and knowing my luck Jayden is going to be the best QB from this draft or some poo poo, as people smarter than me tend to like him, but man I just watch him play and look at his process metrics and I don't see what others do. Also I generally have a massive distrust of mediocre draftable 5 year starters who figure it out when there is just a massive increase in talent around them their last year where there is an insane jump in production).

Just posting my opinion, because man I see people say he's a creator outside of structure, and like he's calm and doesn't scramble unless he has to. Which is just laughable that when I look at the numbers he has an insanely high clean pocket scramble rate, and when he does leave the pocket he almost never loving throws it, he's just looking to run, and get hit by a Linebacker.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Jayden seems really skinny.

Is he really skinny or is it me

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Caleb's chart

Maye's chart

JJ's chart

Penix(God I love this man, none of this moving poo poo. Bout to just throw it and Odunze or Polk are out there somewhere)

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

The biggest issue with Daniels is that hits from edge rushers and interior lineman are just as dangerous as the shots he takes in the open field because of his frame. THEN there's the passing profile.

I don't know how anyone could look at him and see a long term starter.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Dexo posted:

Penix(God I love this man, none of this moving poo poo. Bout to just throw it and Odunze or Polk are out there somewhere)

Vindication for my "Penix isn't actually accurate; he just makes enough really pretty throws to trick you into thinking he is" stance

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Sataere posted:

I've already knocked you down a grade as a poster for this shameful admission

my great posts will prove you all wrong. all pro level

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Vindication for my "Penix isn't actually accurate; he just makes enough really pretty throws to trick you into thinking he is" stance

Yeah he's not but unlike most college QB's he's like 100% willing to try to put the ball into NFL windows. Which leads to the pretty throws. And why I do sorta like him as a prospect. The hardest thing is getting a college QB to train their brain to what NFL open means. And I think Penix has that in him already.

College accuracy is a touch and go thing, Like Mac Jones was insanely accurate as a college QB, but that's because his receivers and offensive line were loving comically good, so anytime he threw deep it was because his receivers were running wide rear end open, he never made a deep throw unless it was almost guaranteed to be a completion because the receiver had like 1-2 steps on a defender.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

a neat cape posted:

Jayden seems really skinny.

Is he really skinny or is it me

He is, and he takes unnecessary shots for no reason when he runs.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
are those charts career or from just last year?

also any chance they have the same charts for last years top qbs?

EDIT: Nm, i found the article

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/?position=qb&viewDepth=detailed

It's from just last year. Yea the biggest red flag there for Daniels is he's somehow the one with the highest sack percentage when under pressure. that does scare me a bit. The accuracy beyond first read being below 50% is also rough. Yea I could see liking Maye over him, still like Daniels way more than McCarthy.

We haven't talked about it much but Caleb is so loving good and if the Bears don't magic up a way to ruin him they might actually be a good team

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 17, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Please read what this PFF mock draft has the Patriots doing with the third pick: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024...rade-into-top-5

I'm going to spend the next week willing that sequence of events into reality

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

are those charts career or from just last year?

also any chance they have the same charts for last years top qbs?

EDIT: Nm, i found the article

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/?position=qb&viewDepth=detailed

It's from just last year. Yea the biggest red flag there for Daniels is he's somehow the one with the highest sack percentage when under pressure. that does scare me a bit. The accuracy beyond first read being below 50% is also rough. Yea I could see liking Maye over him, still like Daniels way more than McCarthy.

We haven't talked about it much but Caleb is so loving good and if the Bears don't magic up a way to ruin him they might actually be a good team

It's why I have Maye higher, I like Maye's process as a QB, With him it's just a matter of making his mechanics consistent, to eliminate the 'welp' throws that show up too often.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

wandler20 posted:

Now that I'm done with the trolling, I was looking at McCarthy's stats from last year. He had 4 INTs. 3 were in one game against.....Bowling Green. A game he finished 8 for 13. What the hell? Also lol at his 7/8 for 60 yard performance against Penn State. What weird year he had.

He also had an incredibly lovely game against Maryland I think it was. I watched all of the important plays from him in that game and maybe one deserved a positive grade. I think he threw about three passes that should've been intercepted before one finally was. It was pretty brutal and slightly shook my faith that he could end up being a decent QB.

Dexo posted:

Stand and Deliver is exactly what I want my QB to do. I think his extraordinary frequency of doing that allows you to excuse the lower pinpoint % to some extent, since at the end of the day he isn't taking sacks and he isn't throwing interceptable balls. He's getting the goddamn ball out like you're supposed to.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/BrettKollmann/status/1780712987533496366

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

kidcoelacanth posted:

my great posts will prove you all wrong. all pro level

I'm rooting for you

Play
Apr 25, 2006

well the man was asked for a hot take and he certainly delivered

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Penix really is left handed Philip Rivers with that 44.3% pinpoint accuracy

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Please read what this PFF mock draft has the Patriots doing with the third pick: https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024...rade-into-top-5

I'm going to spend the next week willing that sequence of events into reality

*Nodding along, ok it's a trade back scenario but they didn't go down that far and stockpiled a shitload of picks, this seems reasonable*

"Then they use the number 9 to draft Bo Nix"

*record scratch*

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

xbilkis posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/benjaminsolak/status/1780676350312935824?s=46

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Penix's accuracy is way better than that charts saying, I'd be curious to see the methodology on those stats because he really places the ball well in positions where only his receivers can catch it. I wonder if they link it up to yards after catch which would be a bit unfair considering Washington's offense created matchup challenges rather than having guys break wide open.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

My favorite part of scouting is how we can all see different things looking at the same guy. I'm with Solak. Penix benefits greatly from the best receiver room in college.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i love seeing Charts and Graphs, they're my favorite part of watching Sports

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's not like his receivers are gonna get worse in the NFL, sounds like he has acceptable receiver catch radius accuracy

*not a penix stan
*zero film
*posting for no reason

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alaois posted:

i love seeing Charts and Graphs, they're my favorite part of watching Sports

I dunno what you are doing in a draft thread then.

Considering all draft scouting is is watching tape and putting together nerdy rear end spreadsheets and charts.

But fine.

Jayden Daniels go zoom in sec.
Caleb Williams, paints nails, has pink phone and cries to mommy is he draftable at all?
Is Marvin Harrison Jr Him?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

kiimo posted:

It's not like his receivers are gonna get worse in the NFL, sounds like he has acceptable receiver catch radius accuracy

*not a penix stan
*zero film
*posting for no reason

They might, Odunze and Polk are top 50-75 and even the other guy who's name I don't remember is really good

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kiimo posted:

It's not like his receivers are gonna get worse in the NFL

I see you don’t have him mocked to the Patriots

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I see you don’t have him mocked to the Patriots

Lmao if this Caleb thing does work I I will never forget the sacrifices that the last two bears QBs put up with

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 18, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I often disagree with Benjamin Solak's takes and find myself not trusting anything he says because he's said some stupid rear end poo poo before. Unfortunately, 'pinpoint' is something that isn't possible to quantify 100% precisely. At the end of the day that is a subjective measurement, whether a pass is 'pinpoint' or not. And I'm not sure I trust Solak to accurately make that distinction.

Still, I like the overall idea of those charts. There should be some legit takeaways in there somewhere.

It's true, we haven't talked about him much at all. I assume that's because everyone agrees that he has the best chance to be really really good and is the obvious first overall pick for the Bears. There's not as much intrigue as there is with someone like Penix, who we've probably discussed more than anyone else just because he's so polarizing. Makes for more interesting discussion.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The thing is I'm pretty sure Penix by normal completion percentage(warts with that number and all) was the least accurate QB of the 5-6 QBs people care about.

The way people see Drake Maye as far as inconsistent with bouts of brilliance is how I see Michael Penix when I watch him

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 18, 2024

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dexo posted:

The thing is I'm pretty sure Penix by normal completion percentage(warts with that number and all) was the least accurate QB of the 5-6 QBs people care about.

The way people see Drake Maye as far as inconsistent with bouts of brilliance is how I see Michael Penix when I watch him

He also threw the ball away when pressured more than double the frequency of Drake Maye. And like 9 times more than JJ, lol.

So a standard completion percentage deficit could be explained away by him refusing to take sacks, either by throwing it away or throwing up a prayer ball that has very little chance of being completed (but at least won't be intercepted). That being said I don't believe he's a super duper incredibly accurate quarterback. He misses plenty of throws, and a lot of times he just throws it up there and hopes someone will get to it. His mechanics are consistent overall but not totally so. The low percentage of interceptable passes is more important in itself, that means he is accurate enough and makes good decisions.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

I often disagree with Benjamin Solak's takes and find myself not trusting anything he says because he's said some stupid rear end poo poo before. Unfortunately, 'pinpoint' is something that isn't possible to quantify 100% precisely. At the end of the day that is a subjective measurement, whether a pass is 'pinpoint' or not. And I'm not sure I trust Solak to accurately make that distinction.

There was a play I was watching with Penix against ASU where he delivers an out in the path of a defender instead of further towards the sidelines or to the right of the defender. I thought that it was a result of his form being open body but on replay I saw a hospital ball forming if he delivered it on the numbers to the right of the defender. He also read that his player couldn't make a play to the left of the defender because he planted his feet and opened inside to the line so it was the only spot he could place the ball to realistically make the play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dume1PRF7AY&t=2827s

It's a play that'll go down as an incompletion or a non pinpoint pass but I don't know a lot of college QBs that can be smart enough to make that play.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

*not a penix stan
*zero film
*posting for no reason

There are definitely pro WR rooms worse than the 2023 Washington Huskies

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dexo posted:

I dunno what you are doing in a draft thread then.

Considering all draft scouting is is watching tape and putting together nerdy rear end spreadsheets and charts.

But fine.

Jayden Daniels go zoom in sec.
Caleb Williams, paints nails, has pink phone and cries to mommy is he draftable at all?
Is Marvin Harrison Jr Him?

all three of these assessments are genuinely more useful than anything The Scouts And Geniuses said about Bryce Young last year during the draft cycle

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I just think it's stupid to downplay all of his positives and then put so much shine/spin on the other guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Alaois posted:

all three of these assessments are genuinely more useful than anything The Scouts And Geniuses said about Bryce Young last year during the draft cycle

Maybe you should have listened to the charts and spreadsheet guys who didn't have Bryce Young as their QB1