Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah, they're great if you want to fart iSCSI at a VMware cluster or whatever and also don't want to be allowed to set it up, janitor it, keep it up to date, install security patches, or troubleshoot it yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kazinsal posted:

yeah, they're great if you want to fart iSCSI at a VMware cluster or whatever and also don't want to be allowed to set it up, janitor it, keep it up to date, install security patches, or troubleshoot it yourself

you say not allowed, i say don’t have to

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

that sounds ideal, op

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

we got a bunch of purestorage along with a cluster at work. seems neat/fast, but wasn't what we ordered. asked for vast/weka/pnfs, got network block storage. thankfully bizdev rammed the deal though before anyone could object, so i guess i get to build a solution on top of purestorage now

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

outhole surfer posted:

we got a bunch of purestorage along with a cluster at work. seems neat/fast, but wasn't what we ordered. asked for vast/weka/pnfs, got network block storage. thankfully bizdev rammed the deal though before anyone could object, so i guess i get to build a solution on top of purestorage now

yeah i used pure storage for yeeting iscsi at vmware and it was great

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

yeah i used pure storage for yeeting iscsi at vmware and it was great

nice

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

well i definitely just got trolled into looking up whether that's real or not

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

shackleford posted:

well i definitely just got trolled into looking up whether that's real or not

so did I, but it's true

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i believe if you use vvols it supports storage level snapshot for veeam but i never got that enabled, vvols are cool though

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cidrick posted:

so did I, but it's true

each day we stray further from g-d's light

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Cidrick posted:

so did I, but it's true

quote:

For the people who built it, for the people who release it, and for the furries who keep all of our clusters online, we present to you Kubernetes v1.30: Uwubernetes, the cutest release to date.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

weren't there a bunch of high profile site outages coinciding with some furry con a few months ago

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
evergreen tweet

https://twitter.com/mmsword/status/1200147947331043328

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

weren't there a bunch of high profile site outages coinciding with some furry con a few months ago

So, like, a weekend?

https://furrycons.com/calendar/

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

:wow:

separately in networking news i moved the dhcp serving for the home router off of systemd-networkd just because its so goddamn barebones. specifically it doesnt retain the client ids at all, so if you check the list of leases (itself a bizarre encoded blob buried in a dbus entry) it's just got macs paired with their assigned IPs. not very useful if you want a client list that any router from the last 25 years would provide. separately and more generally, it feels like networkd specifically has fallen into the sendmail trap of adding functionality/fixes that everyone would want/need but leaving everything disabled by default.

now running isc-kea in docker with postgres backend (why not - the router has 32GB mem after all) and its working pretty good so far, modulo the isc-provided docker image lacking preinstalled tools needed for db-init - gave up automating that and just wrote down the manual steps if I ever need to do it again:
code:
$ docker run -it debian /bin/bash
# apt-get update && apt-get install -y curl && curl -1sLf 'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/isc/kea-2-5/setup.deb.sh' | bash
# apt-get install -y isc-kea-admin postgresql-client
# kea-admin db-init pgsql --name kea --host <postgres_ip> --user <user> --password
<then discard the container>
i'd like to assemble some kind of periodic sync for fetching the leases from kea-agent's http api and putting them into /etc/hosts or thereabouts so that they show up on local dns provided by adguard home. the kea-stork thing looks interesting in terms of being able to extract prom metrics but no rush on that, could also diy an exporter against kea-agent APIs pretty trivially

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 28, 2024

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

separately in networking news i moved the dhcp serving for the home router off of systemd-networkd just because its so goddamn barebones. specifically it doesnt retain the client ids at all, so if you check the list of leases (itself a bizarre encoded blob buried in a dbus entry) it's just got macs paired with their assigned IPs. not very useful if you want a client list that any router from the last 25 years would provide. separately and more generally, it feels like networkd specifically has fallen into the sendmail trap of adding functionality/fixes that everyone would want/need but leaving everything disabled by default.

now running isc-kea in docker with postgres backend (why not - the router has 32GB mem after all) and its working pretty good so far, modulo the isc-provided docker image lacking preinstalled tools needed for db-init - gave up automating that and just wrote down the manual steps if I ever need to do it again:
code:
# apt-get update && apt-get install -y curl && curl -1sLf 'https://dl.cloudsmith.io/public/isc/kea-2-5/setup.deb.sh' | bash
# kea-admin db-init pgsql --name kea --host <postgres_ip> --user <user> --password
i'd like to assemble some kind of periodic sync for fetching the leases from kea-agent's http api and putting them into /etc/hosts or thereabouts so that they show up on local dns provided by adguard home. the kea-stork thing looks interesting in terms of being able to extract prom metrics but no rush on that, could also diy an exporter against kea-agent APIs pretty trivially

what's wrong with apt-get install dnsmasq and something like

code:
grepcidr 0.0.0.0/0 /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases | awk '{print$3,$4}' | egrep -v ' \*$'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

code:

i just use wifi in my bed connected to a mikrotik router

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

shackleford posted:

what's wrong with apt-get install dnsmasq and something like

code:
grepcidr 0.0.0.0/0 /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases | awk '{print$3,$4}' | egrep -v ' \*$'

pretty much except with different tools

code:
curl --data '{"service":["dhcp4"],"command":"lease4-get-all"}' -H "Content-Type: application/json" http://dhcp.internal \
 | jq -r '.[0].arguments.leases[] | .["ip-address"] + " " + .hostname'

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a sane way to provide name resolution of the whatever. local addresses to a device without real mdns/avahi implementation. Including ones where it is an unreliable mess, like Android.

My DNS resolution is already being filtered through a GLinet router for ad blocking. So it should be possible. Can't find a guide though.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

this is insane

just use raw dnsmasq, or if you want a real easy prebaked solution, openwrt in a vm

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

this is insane

just use raw dnsmasq, or if you want a real easy prebaked solution, openwrt in a vm

that wouldn't have been nearly as good an istp, and it's all set now anyway

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
After a network upgrade yesterday, my ISP's IPv6 transport ceased entirely. I think I sussed it out, but the system has won: the prospect of trying to get past level 1 support when the internet still halfway works is :smithicide:

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

After a network upgrade yesterday, my ISP's IPv6 transport ceased entirely. I think I sussed it out, but the system has won: the prospect of trying to get past level 1 support when the internet still halfway works is :smithicide:

do they also announce the (same or different) MTU via the DHCPv4 option?

i wonder what windows and OS X do if they get such a large MTU advertisement. arguably jumbo frames are not IEEE standard Ethernet and you'd be justified in clamping it unless the sysadmin enabled some "enable jumbo frames" tunable

heck i wonder what their gateways do. if their gateways get the bad advertisement from the WAN but hardcode or clamp to 1500 on the LAN that would mask the issue for like 99% of their customers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my condolences on the comcast exposure

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

shackleford posted:

do they also announce the (same or different) MTU via the DHCPv4 option?

Picked through some packets, I don't see anything about MTU in any of the DHCPv4 release, discover, offer, request, or ack packets.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cidrick posted:

so did I, but it's true

your application is a person who is sexually attracted to sonic the hedgehog

a docker container is a fursuit

kubernetes is a hotel room upstairs at furcon

congratulations, you now understand containerization, clusters and high availability

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Clark Nova posted:

congratulations, you now understand containerization, clusters and high availability

the hotel room is a pod, and brother let me tell you, you can run a lot of containers in a pod

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
infra/networking thread: a docker container is a fursuit

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Clark Nova posted:

in this analogy, what's the novel form of chlamydia going around the rotating cast of orgy members?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yaml :downsrim:

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Kazinsal posted:

in this analogy, what's the novel form of chlamydia going around the rotating cast of orgy members?

pod security policies

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I figured it out, and I was wrong. While I do think that Comcast has something misconfigured and is now erroneously leaking jumbo declared router advertisements, which is making radvd very unhappy and filling my log with error messages, I do not think it was the true cause of my loss of IPv6 transit.

What actually happened is that the DHCPv6 server is now on a global address instead of a local, which as far as I can tell is perfectly kosher, while the default firewall configuration expects the DHCPv6 packet to come from the link-local unicast address, not to it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pouring one out for a real G

quote:

According to the indictment [PDF], Aksoy began plotting the scam around August 2013, and the operation ran until at least April 2022. Aksoy used at least 19 companies and about 15 Amazon storefronts, 10 eBay ones, and direct sales—known collectively as Pro Network Entities—to sell tens of thousands of computer networking devices. He imported the products from China and Hong Kong and used fake Cisco packaging, labels, and documents to sell them as new and real. Legitimate versions of the products would've sold for over $1 billion, per the indictment.

The DOJ's announcement this week said the devices had an estimated retail value of "hundreds of millions of dollars" and that Aksoy personally received millions of dollars.

quote:

The indictment said that some fraudulent devices were real Cisco products that were "typically older, lower-model, or less expensive Cisco products, some of which had been sold or discarded" but were modified to appear newer or like a higher-grade model. Tactics included pirated software and modding the hardware with "unauthorized, low-quality, and unreliable components," including ones meant to circumnavigate methods for checking for software license compliance in order to authenticate the device.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"According to the indictment," would be a good way to start an obituary

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

There's another company out there that's been selling dodgy, inferior Cisco products for the last decade.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
heyo

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

abigserve posted:

There's another company out there that's been selling dodgy, inferior Cisco products for the last decade.

:eyepop:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abigserve posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back of the Bus
Aug 15, 2004

Pimpin' ain't easy when yo ride's full of schoolchildren.
Is that why there's a neverending supply of 2960Gs and 3750Gs saturating the Internet for like 50 bucks a pop?