Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

DJ Qualls finally snapped.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

No Apartment 3-G because I posted Sunday's yesterday.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

The new volume of Haraiso Days dropped the other day too. Sadly, we’ll have to wait a few chapters before we can see Japanese Siskel and Ebert getting into a fistfight, so look forward to that, but let’s get into it!

hell yes more Haraiso Days!!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

you couldn't even give me an old man breaking both his legs and you expect me to believe you have the balls to kill a dog rex morgan writer?

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Mark Trail is so bizarre, unfocused, and downright nonsensical. The data center itself may use a ton of electricity but it's not like it's affecting the proximal land directly. They could have gone with it using water to cool and causing thermal pollution or...nevermind. So dumb.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Everything emits carbon. There's so many reasons to disapprove of him building an AI data center besides "he built a carbon emitting building that displaces carbon emitting invasive horses." How about the time this dude published a book written with AI and almost killed a guy? Maybe that? Maybe write a story about that? How can you tell it's an AI data center just by looking at the outside?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/6-8/52

Archie 2/27 - 3/1/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/30 - 7/2/77

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mark Trail once again spending months of setup to reveal that the bad guy is doing literally nothing antagonistic. Immoral? Rude? Stupid? Sure. gently caress an AI data center. Still an absurdly terrible payoff. "So he uses the legal body responsible for animal control to clear land he legally owns to pursue a legal business venture that... is in poor taste and I personally dislike." I'm kind of amazed that the best Nu-Trail villain by a mile was the absurdly stupid tiger zoo dame. Jules has to be one of the most interesting cases of incompetence in the thread.

Dilbert went chud insane and was a zombie strip for decades, nothing more to it than a hugely inflated ego growing comfortably conservatively dumb over a lifetime of undeserved wealth, an 100 IQ man convincing himself he's a 200. 9CL is bizarre and offensive but ultimately boils down to a goofy creep being way too horny. Kevin and Kell and associated hellworlds are honestly just the product of a lifelong dad-joker who fires off his sensible chuckles and moves on, letting readers go insane for things he's never given a single thought to. I'm no fan of the usual gaggle of millennial authors baton passing legacy strips but they're all at least making earnest, misguided attempts.

Standing below them all Jules is like a competency blackhole, an alien fascinated by human story telling but unable to ever grasp and execute it.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

:laffo: ok Culinarian has really hit its stride now. :haw:

I'm guessing it's a ratio of ingredients for the beef stock that can only be developed by salty old cooks disregarding new-fangled sterile "best of the best" recipe learnin'.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/27 - 3/1/50

This is the greatest four-panel Archie gag ever and the simplest.

Also, I think we're coming up on a very sad date in Pogo history.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

Standing below them all Jules is like a competency blackhole, an alien fascinated by human story telling but unable to ever grasp and execute it.

The thing is, Jules CAN draw, and she also appeared to have some ideas for the characters back at the start. Here's one from her first couple of weeks doing the strip:

Mark Trail October 29, 2020

Quite the contrast. I have no idea what happened.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, it was good for a bit, emphasis on a bit. By the end of the first storyline it was already cracking with small plotholes but it had a meaningful conflict that got resolved. Mark's Dad was even unamibiguously in the wrong!

Then lol tech bros and its felt like nothing but a paycheck ever since. I don't even know how somebody could fail to pitch a few low stakes Captain Planet villain plots at this setting. The tiger zoo was really stupid in the end but there was a real conviction in the reader to see animal abuse and poaching be stopped and punished.

"Mark follows a story about a suspiciously large amount of wild horses being hunted and possibly abused on land owned by a shady character. He turns out to be doing <animal crime> or is employing <over the top animal crime villain> to do <direct, evil crime.> Mark interferes, exposes the illegal parts and punches a bad guy."

And yeesh, abandoning the talking to animals element. Talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Even weirder to keep Ralph, the magic snake that can talk to Mark Trails instead of Mark Trail, the subtle modern day druid.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm all for dunking on dumbass techbros, but Trail manages to make it so boring. And then there was the almost unhinged "bats with rabies could be inside your living room RIGHT NOW!" screed not too long ago.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 18, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (June 20 (because OOPS), 23-24, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (June 23, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 11-13, 1922; spoiler for stereotype background character)

One last Mutt and Jeff in the New Thought series. (published somewhere on September 11, 1922)

Dok's "Gentlemen, You Can't Fight In Here! This Is The War Room!" Duck (March 7, 1915)

Little Lefty (February 6-7, 1940 (no strip for the 5th))

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

It occurs to me that in this hellworld lions should be part of some bigamist fundamentalist religious sect.

They should be, but everyone is usually predator/prey marriage and usually straight. I know there are a few gay couples, hush.

I remember ages ago, reading another furry comic called Urban Jungle? Something like that. Anyway it dealt less with predation and more with a lioness becoming a fashion model, but there was the Animal Has Characteristic when it came to families: lions did have multiple wives, tigers were single moms, etc.

WAR is hilarious with the toddler. My nephew figured out that you said Thank You after you were given something, so his idea made sense: grab what you want, as long as you say THANK YOU, you get to keep it!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(oCTOBER 19, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 19, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 19, 1913)Spoilered for, um, different times.

Gasoline Alley(December 10, 1919)

$25 in 1919 is $464.77 today. I've never had a speeding ticket because I'm a good driver, but is that a lot?

Us Boys(April 17, 1912)

The Gumps(May 16, 1917)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sexy bastard

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Sexy bastard.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 16, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Well......there it is.

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 18, 2024

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
:fireman:

Retail

Popcom

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

riderchop posted:

Well......there it is.

Yiiipyipyipyipyip... dead dog.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

Alright.The name of the place, "juottola" can have two different meanings.

"Juottaa" means "to make drink" or "to solder", and "juottola" is either "a place where people give you drinks" or "a place where you solder things". So naturally the boys were expecting a high class night club for some heavy drinking.

I have no idea why soldering is called the same as making someone drink, but my guess is that it derives from the idea that you're kinda making the soldered component drink some solder. That would make sense, but knowing Finnish it's probably some "oh they both derive from an ancient proto-Swedish word that meant 'have a nice Sunday'" thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Well......there it is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Do you have any idea what the gently caress you've just unleashed upon the world, DNA wizard

Kavak posted:

Yiiipyipyipyipyip... dead dog.
:laffo::laffo: god drat you for making me laugh so hard at something like that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

Alright.The name of the place, "juottola" can have two different meanings.

"Juottaa" means "to make drink" or "to solder", and "juottola" is either "a place where people give you drinks" or "a place where you solder things". So naturally the boys were expecting a high class night club for some heavy drinking.

I have no idea why soldering is called the same as making someone drink, but my guess is that it derives from the idea that you're kinda making the soldered component drink some solder. That would make sense, but knowing Finnish it's probably some "oh they both derive from an ancient proto-Swedish word that meant 'have a nice Sunday'" thing.
soldering itself means "making solid", referring to the metal hardening in place and form, so my guess is the finnish is coming at it from the opposite direction with a root of "making fluid" referring to the act of melting the metal in the first place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Do you have any idea what the gently caress you've just unleashed upon the world, DNA wizard

Something... wonderful.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:laffo::laffo: god drat you for making me laugh so hard at something like that.

DNA Wizard needs a visit from Leopold.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Please let it be a cartoon burglar sweeping the brownies into a bulging burlap sack (everything else in the house untouched)

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/27 - 3/1/50

Bit of an abrupt ending, but I really enjoyed Montana's Archie! Thanks for posting it!

Haifisch posted:

Computoon: Origins

lmao???

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

The thing is, Jules CAN draw, and she also appeared to have some ideas for the characters back at the start. Here's one from her first couple of weeks doing the strip:

Mark Trail October 29, 2020

Quite the contrast. I have no idea what happened.

My money's on the good strips being from the pitch, before the "you need to get one out every day" pressure hit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feels like she burned the gently caress out

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Feels like she burned the gently caress out
Or even spent more than a day's worth of work on each strip when preparing the pitch and/or buffer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Comic Strips 2024: Sexy Bastard

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 21, 1962)

edit:

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Oh boy

Also just a reminder that this strip was originally just about a day care, wild

edit2:

make me human sized, but not human, but also still give me human breasts

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 18, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is a clean kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Val Murder-Grin of Approval.