Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sullat posted:

Yeah my kids get free lunch from an expanded Department of Agriculture program. It used to be that you had to apply for it but now (thanks Trump) if the overall income level at your school is low enough everyone there gets free lunch and breakfast.

Are you talking about this program? https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/h...viding%20meals.

Federal support for it ended under Biden. Now you might be in one of the minority of states that do have it, like NY and Colorado. But it depends on the state and afaik state support.

Thanks Biden!

E: ah my bad you said lunches. Yeah depending on your income you get it for free at participating schools through CEP depending on your income

quote:

Any student in a participating school can get an NSLP lunch. Students from households with incomes: At or below 130 percent of the Federal poverty line can receive a free lunch. Between 130 and 185 percent of the Federal poverty line can receive a reduced-price lunch

Pretty sure it wasn't means tested during the bump up during the Trump administration but I don't have a kid. Either way this sucks.

Shageletic has issued a correction as of 12:00 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was just at a conference where someone presented a paper on spiritual care in hospitals, and said he was surprised that the hospitals' policies adhere to the written doctrine of their faiths, the argument being that we have to take people just as seriously when they believe in idiosyncratic volkish woo woo because they had an incomplete catechesis, as opposed to providing care their faith proscribes.

My opinion was that if someone is an Anglican, and we're taking their spiritual care seriously, we have to adhere to the Anglican Church, and not someone who has confused their yoga practice with the actual doctrine of their faith. I don't like the Book of Concord, but if we're taking the metaphysical perspective that spiritual care matters, we need to be thorough in its administration. A physician does not prescribe what the patient thinks they need, he provides them with the correct medication, in consultation with a pharmacist. So, I said, cuius regio, eius religio. Whatever religion you claim to profess, will be taken seriously, and thoroughly, and you ought to receive the best, and that means most correct, as we've accepted the premise that your soul is on the line, spiritual care possible.

This led to a whole thing about respecting people's beliefs, but again, if people believe they are Anglican, and believe they are dying, or otherwise need to work through the spiritual care team, then to take their belief seriously, it needs to be engaged with as a serious ideology and practice, and correctly, so that they receive the unction of the sick - not (just) allowing their relatives to all hold hands in a circle or whatever, because that's Anglicanism as they understand it. Cuius regio, eius religio, the Ottomans figured this out with the Millet. To incorporate religious practice and the law, the state needs a system to work though.

My argument was, it's more respectful of their beliefs to take those beliefs more seriously, and administer care more correctly, than the patient themselves understands. The only rebuttal I got was, "well what about their feelings?", "Different people believe different things", "you have to agree to disagree" etc etc. I don't want you to think I was taking a stance "theology doesn't care about your feelings". I think I'm going out of the way to honour people's feelings here. I'm genuinely confused about why it's better to condescend to people by humouring them, rather than actually doing the best we can to engage with their belief system.

Okay, while apply that to discussing any political issue with a liberal. Am I supposed to care how they think or feel the economy works, or am I supposed to discuss the economy in material terms, which means rejecting their priors and anecdotes, and cutesy stories, and half understood talking points? If they want to discuss the economy, isn't it important to establish that we're thoroughly describing a real system of resources and labour, which is guided by political and ideological decisions rather than something that is just-so?

"Gosh, who can say how the economy works? I guess we each have our own perspectives." is useless to actually describing, and so discussing, the socioeconomic system of a nation. We can say, and what we say can be disputed. If we're treating these as descriptions of reality, or informed by reality, they need to be challenged. I realize in the context of dinner parties I've had to be more flexible. I don't like it, but my wife says being relentless is my "best and worst quality", which is awfully kind of her to say, but doesn't resolve the issue.

Um, I don't know. I would say I'm questioning. I was raised Catholic, like, did all the sacraments. Sebastian was actually my saint's name before it was my son's name. And then I sort of did the teen-questioning thing of everything. I had a great Eastern Religions class in high school. We had a great teacher, Irv Steinfink, who showed us Groundhog Day because he said this is the best example of a bodhisattva. This is a guy living life over and over again until he learns something, and he gets to go on to the next day. And I was like, "poo poo, I didn't know Groundhog Day was that deep." I don't go to church, but at the same time religion keeps popping up in my work. You know? I'm not religious, but Abuela Claudia in In the Heights is. I'm not religious, but Hamilton really leaned on religion during some of the trauma of his later years. So that's my answer. I don't consider myself religious, but at the same time it keeps popping up on me.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was just at a conference where someone presented a paper on spiritual care in hospitals, and said he was surprised that the hospitals' policies adhere to the written doctrine of their faiths, the argument being that we have to take people just as seriously when they believe in idiosyncratic volkish woo woo because they had an incomplete catechesis, as opposed to providing care their faith proscribes.

Them: we don't want to provide material care to people because that has real costs associated with it, but we found this really neat way to get them to be happy about not receiving material care!

You: Wait, but that isn't how you provide proper spiritual care to people.

Them: ???

You: ???

The issue is that you think they are trying to achieve one end (helping people) while they are actually trying to achieve another end (saving money by not helping people and getting away with it). The goal is for the patient to go away and not come back, with the lowest cost possible, not to help them become less ill.

Did they say anything about how AI can provide spiritual care for a fraction of the cost of a traditional spiritual practicianer? Because I'd bet good money they have that proposal written up whether they shared it with you or not.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Lin Manuel-Turtle posted:

Um, I don't know. I would say I'm questioning. I was raised Catholic, like, did all the sacraments. Sebastian was actually my saint's name before it was my son's name. And then I sort of did the teen-questioning thing of everything. I had a great Eastern Religions class in high school. We had a great teacher, Irv Steinfink, who showed us Groundhog Day because he said this is the best example of a bodhisattva. This is a guy living life over and over again until he learns something, and he gets to go on to the next day. And I was like, "poo poo, I didn't know Groundhog Day was that deep." I don't go to church, but at the same time religion keeps popping up in my work. You know? I'm not religious, but Abuela Claudia in In the Heights is. I'm not religious, but Hamilton really leaned on religion during some of the trauma of his later years. So that's my answer. I don't consider myself religious, but at the same time it keeps popping up on me.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

HazCat posted:

Them: we don't want to provide material care to people because that has real costs associated with it, but we found this really neat way to get them to be happy about not receiving material care!

You: Wait, but that isn't how you provide proper spiritual care to people.

Them: ???

You: ???

The issue is that you think they are trying to achieve one end (helping people) while they are actually trying to achieve another end (saving money by not helping people and getting away with it). The goal is for the patient to go away and not come back, with the lowest cost possible, not to help them become less ill.

Did they say anything about how AI can provide spiritual care for a fraction of the cost of a traditional spiritual practicianer? Because I'd bet good money they have that proposal written up whether they shared it with you or not.

That's uncanny, because at the reception they were talking about this being a great way to meet mental health needs of patients. A sort of work around of the waitlists for mental health in the province, which I pointed out had destroyed the military chaplaincy when they tried that trick during Afghanistan. They had hoped that they could send soldiers to the padre instead of mental health because then they wouldn't have to go on medical category, and related, because visits to the padre have confidentiality, there's no stats. Only, it burned through the chaplaincy who could not possibly be asked to take on the mental heath crisis going on with no support, and without the ability to provide clinical care or prescribe medication, it was like 20 minute talk therapy using a modality that, unlike CBT or whatever, requires a belief system to operate through - and still is not a way to treat OSIs.

This was somehow interpreted backwards as the CAF needed to "secularize" the chaplaincy so they don't talk about God (never mind the other religions represented), which on top of being the formless woo woo typical of Canadian liberalism, is pretty obviously just a way to keep doing what they're doing in finding a cheap, unrecorded way to not deal with mental health issues, but without getting angry phone calls from Anglican and Catholic bishops when word gets out.

When I pointed out that the recent language of the military investigating being more open minded and respecting traditions outside the established religions, really they were trying to find candidates without the required Masters of Divinity, and without a religious body to complain to, he said he was trying to encourage the same thing, though again he framed it in terms of the structures of organized religions not respecting the diversity of views, and someone shouldn't need a masters of divinity. If they don't have a masters of divinity it's easy enough to get them certified in what they need to work in the hospital system (whatever that means).

and when I told this story, it's like I made the opposite impression from what I intended, so...

e: I should mention, I didn't follow-up, in the slides it talked about how the spiritual health care team, with the pompous educations in theology and bound to these stuffy rules, have been slowing down the process of rationing, since they're consulted on that, and cases where MAiD is being considered, and apparently either have, or there's a fear of, talked patients who had otherwise agreed to the hospital's treatment plans out of them.

:thunk:

ee: I suppose this is more agreeable, but it was pointed out that Hasidic rabbis get in the way of organ donations by informing patients that have otherwise agreed that organ donation falls under some obscure (to me) Hasidic rules and is forbidden. Similarly, everybody knows about Jehovah's Witnesses and Christian Scientists refusing care, and donations, it makes the newspaper every now and then. I agree in principle that it would be good for the province if we had more donors, but, it's hardly a representative of their religion "getting in the way" of a healthy lung or kidney if they inform the patient that their faith forbids it right? Their responsibility is the spirit of the patient, not the organ?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 12:49 on Apr 18, 2024

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lmao how bad do the internal numbers look?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Yeah there's a bunch of health policy papers about this,

Organ Donation and the Ars Moriendi

"Organ donation is rightly understood as a gift that is a genuine act of love. Organ donation as an act of love requires it to be an act of freedom that honors the integrity of the human person who is in the process of dying. However, the process of organ donation, by necessity, inserts a third party of interest whose primary aim is to assist someone other than the dying person. Caregivers can become “organ focused” instead of “patient focused.” The procurement of organs potentially results in the commodification of the potential organ donor. Furthermore, death is not a momentary event but rather an ontological change in the person where the union of body and soul becomes divided. This Catholic understanding of death is important to assess the impact of organ donation on the process of dying. Family members of organ donors often have traumatic memories associated with the organ donation process, potentially overshadowing the ars moriendi—the art of dying."

My eyebrow is raised because this shouldn't be a problem, the Church doesn't just support, it encourages organ donation. So, it seems like it's not the spiritual care getting in the way at all (with this specific denomination), but as you say,

"The issue is that you think they are trying to achieve one end (helping people) while they are actually trying to achieve another end (saving money by not helping people and getting away with it). The goal is for the patient to go away and not come back, with the lowest cost possible, not to help them become less ill."

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/PowerofBallot/status/1780634477678489826

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

give yourself Havana Syndrome by getting angry online

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I do think Harris could win the election if Biden died by the end of May.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gripweed posted:

I don't

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If God is real, there's no way He said "ok I'm going to make this one family of horrible inbred Germans my supreme governors on Earth", so Anglicanism is one of the very few religions out there we can know for certain is fake.

Therfore I don't see why what any random patient thinks Anglicanism is is any worse than what King Charles Saxe-Coburg-Gotha III thinks. You're already doing what the patient wants anyway, might as well just do it then rather than insisting they're supposed to want whatever Henry Tudor said to get some snatch.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

I can't believe how excited Gripweed is about the Biden-Harris campaign!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

It would turn the age thing from Biden's biggest weakness to Trump's. But it has to be early enough that Harris feels like the candidate by the election. If Biden dies too late she'll still feel like the replacement in November

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

VitalSigns posted:

If God is real, there's no way He said "ok I'm going to make this one family of horrible inbred Germans my supreme governors on Earth", so Anglicanism is one of the very few religions out there we can know for certain is fake.

Therfore I don't see why what any random patient thinks Anglicanism is is any worse than what King Charles Saxe-Coburg-Gotha III thinks. You're already doing what the patient wants anyway, might as well just do it then rather than insisting they're supposed to want whatever Henry Tudor said to get some snatch.

lol saving this

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A loving tour de force of democrat propaganda. If you like Beyonce, you have to like Kamala.

quote:

Although the vice president wasn't far behind the superstar when it comes to favorability, there were twice as many voters who held an unfavorable opinion of Harris, 52 percent to 26 percent.

:lol:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Am I having a stroke?

"The vice president is almost as popular as Beyonce, but one is far more unpopular than the other"

Are they treating popularity and unpopularity as two totally unrelated things?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Am I having a stroke?

"The vice president is almost as popular as Beyonce, but one is far more unpopular than the other"

Are they treating popularity and unpopularity as two totally unrelated things?

yes

and yes

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
in high school I was one of the most popular students if you polled my 5 friends who liked me

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

This sounds like one of those logic puzzles. "The vice president is almost as popular as Beyonce, but one is far more unpopular than the other. Which is more popular?".

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
FF is right, the results imply there are people out there with both a favorable and unfavorable opinion of Harris. :psypop:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYy1qMeKrtE

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So Biden clearly can't do debates at this point. But is he even campaigning to open audiences? This time in the cycle for 2020 he was challenging people at these events to push up contests like every other day.

I guess they actually (pretended) to have a primary last time.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/POTUS/status/1780743053130527004

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Sean posted:

So Biden clearly can't do debates at this point. But is he even campaigning to open audiences? This time in the cycle for 2020 he was challenging people at these events to push up contests like every other day.

can't do open audiences because there's too many Palestine protesters and chanting 'four more years' at people saying 'stop the genocide' looks unfathomably bad to squishy liberals

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The one who made that Tweet blames Barthes (and to be fair to the Ukraine-and-Taiwan-flag-haver "death of the author" is some very annoying poo poo to always have to wade through):

https://twitter.com/RadCentrism/status/1731784634902384656?t=r28lukKFEfdpaMIjOIHTjA&s=19

https://twitter.com/RadCentrism/status/1361013688728125441?t=M8_nR8EzZqzO65kY1eObjQ&s=19

what this nerd bitch talking about

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

can't do open audiences because there's too many Palestine protesters and chanting 'four more years' at people saying 'stop the genocide' looks unfathomably bad to squishy liberals

Lol good point

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Dumb Shits of America

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I crunched the numbers so yall don’t have to. here is computer simulation of Biden aging during his next term 2024-2028

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
computer gave up a 99% probability he would crumble into dust while groping an intern

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

There is definitely some magic sweet spot of post-death sympathy votes and pre-exposure Harris hatred, that results in Democratic victory. That said, I think May is too much Harris exposure.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nothus posted:

FF is right, the results imply there are people out there with both a favorable and unfavorable opinion of Harris. :psypop:

I think she's loving hilarious (favorable) but would gnaw my own leg off rather than vote for her (unfavorable) and I really think her being on the Supreme Court would be good (favorable) for nihilistic comedy (unfavorable)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

ahhh Konichiwa

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Nichael posted:

There is definitely some magic sweet spot of post-death sympathy votes and pre-exposure Harris hatred, that results in Democratic victory. That said, I think May is too much Harris exposure.

My guess is Canuck Thanksgiving

You get her boost from the mourning and funeral, October surprise is already to fire for a corpse and useless, and Harris can avoid a lot with 2 of the four weeks in funeral stuff.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ok but seriously, I don't see how you can respect everyone's religious beliefs, implicitly accepting that their religion is a personal belief and not an objective truth that controls where their souls end up, but then also insist that you're a better judge of their beliefs than they are and you have to override their beliefs and do it "right" to save their soul.

That just makes no sense to me. It seems like you should either:

Pick the religion you think is the objective truth and treat everyone with that to save their very real souls regardless of what they want. Sorry, Islam is fake, and your soul is on the line so here's the last rights in God's native language: English

OR

Respect their beliefs by actually respecting their beliefs whatever they are.

This third thing where you respect their beliefs, unless you think they're doing their religion wrong, then you stop respecting what they want and do what you think they're supposed to believe instead, and justify this by saying only this specific Anglican ritual will save their soul (but you'd do a different ritual if they say they're Catholic or Jewish) is not very logical imo.

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Apr 18, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Sean posted:

No.

Also, nope the push-up contests stopped and he went into basement isolation in March 2020.

StealthArcher posted:

My guess is Canuck Thanksgiving

You get her boost from the mourning and funeral, October surprise is already to fire for a corpse and useless, and Harris can avoid a lot with 2 of the four weeks in funeral stuff.

Yes, I think it's roughly four or five weeks at most.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mags posted:

I crunched the numbers so yall don’t have to. here is computer simulation of Biden aging during his next term 2024-2028

mfw when someone tells me to vote for Biden

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think you can sort of do the third thing if you get an official from the religion they claim they are following involved. but for the hospital itself to take the role in making any kind of religious decision is pretty sketchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the alternative to joe biden dying sympathy votes is him using his Sacrificial Lamb ability to get political capital from a targeted family member