Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've heard plenty of people claim that Scots isn't a real language

Any real linguist would say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Any real linguist would say that.

Big words from a Swedish speaker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If a lone American teenager can prank the whole field for years, maybe there was nothing left to save.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Angry Salami posted:

Papua New Guinea gained independence from Australia in 1975, not the UK.

I assume it's supposed to be independence from the UK or British Commonwealth countries because most of the Pacific ones are not direct from UK.

Although in that case its missing Namibia.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

BonHair posted:

Big words from a Swedish speaker

Are you not Danish? If my memory happened to have failed me I apologise for this most gravest of insults.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kaldellis' latest book is full of great maps. This is one of them. Also if you don't believe the Eastern Roman Empire was genuinely Roman you can gently caress off and go straight to hell

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Kaldellis' latest book is full of great maps. This is one of them. Also if you don't believe the Eastern Roman Empire was genuinely Roman you can gently caress off and go straight to hell

the eastern roman empire wasn't genuinely roman because christ's immanentization is the culmination and perfection of creation and so any perceived history after the resurrection is merely the illusory web of the demiurge designed to keep us separated from the pleroma. therefore the eastern roman empire wasn't "genuinely" anything, except insofar as the "romans" are a generic term for the structures of control and suppression employed by yaldabaoth, in which case the byzantines but also richard nixon, the british empire, and all police officers everywhere, are likewise "romans."

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
also i kind of want to see that map as an animated gif or something, it's hard for the numbers to pop out for me

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

the eastern roman empire wasn't genuinely roman because christ's immanentization is the culmination and perfection of creation and so any perceived history after the resurrection is merely the illusory web of the demiurge designed to keep us separated from the pleroma. therefore the eastern roman empire wasn't "genuinely" anything, except insofar as the "romans" are a generic term for the structures of control and suppression employed by yaldabaoth, in which case the byzantines but also richard nixon, the british empire, and all police officers everywhere, are likewise "romans."

don't be a Dick

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Tree Goat posted:

All Romans Are Bastards

Wait uh oh

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Anthony Kaldellis posted:

The Greek literary tradition was another common patrimony over which these heirs of the ancient world contended. Arabic science and philosophy had shot ahead of their Roman counterparts, but continued to rely heavily on foundational ancient texts, which had to be translated from ancient Greek into Arabic, often via Syriac. This was an act of cultural appropriation, and the Muslim world imagined that its leading scholars were traveling to “Rum” in order to find manuscripts and teachers of Greek (though it is debatable whether they were actually doing so). The Arab essayist al-Jahiz (d. 869) polemicized against Romans who lay claim to the ancient Greek patrimony. Ancient texts, he says, were written by pagan Greeks, whereas the “Rum” were Christians and Romans. Some Muslim scholars claimed that contemporary Greek, which they called “the language of the Romans,” was a separate language from “Ionian,” which is what they called ancient Greek.101 On the papal side, pope Nicholas’ ghostwriter, Anastasius the Librarian, who knew Greek, translated a number of works into Latin, focusing on Christian literature. He saw this as an act of reclamation, of bringing Christian texts “back” into the Latin fold where they belonged, taking them away from the heretical and deceitful “Greeks” of the east.102 Thus, while the Arabs were appropriating Greek culture from the “Romans” (who were definitely not Greeks), Latins were appropriating Christian and Roman culture from “the Greeks” (who were definitely not Romans). That is what it looks like to be caught in the middle.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Placeholder posted:

Are you not Danish? If my memory happened to have failed me I apologise for this most gravest of insults.

It'd be flattering to mistake a Dane for somebody whose language has a written form.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

that's a lovely map

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Everyone who played Paradox games knows the Ottoman expansion by heart anyway so it's a pointless map

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

They did a passable job making a map that is suitable for printing back in the days before color printing was readily accessible.

For a modern map, it is... super lovely, and even for an older map it has a lot of unnecessary mess. Like why are all those tiny cities mentioned? Does anyone actually care that Naxos (population in 1450: probably like 10 guys + a goat) is labeled? Maybe it's relevant for the text but sweet chart clutter Jesus, split that map into multiple different graphics. That would go well as a textbook example of excessive labeling.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Also Candia is not on Crete, it's in the middle of Calorum, between the Dairy Isles and Ceresia :colbert:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Saladman posted:

They did a passable job making a map that is suitable for printing back in the days before color printing was readily accessible.

For a modern map, it is... super lovely, and even for an older map it has a lot of unnecessary mess. Like why are all those tiny cities mentioned? Does anyone actually care that Naxos (population in 1450: probably like 10 guys + a goat) is labeled? Maybe it's relevant for the text but sweet chart clutter Jesus, split that map into multiple different graphics. That would go well as a textbook example of excessive labeling.

The terrain features don't help either.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Naxos was an independent duchy so it makes sense to include it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

nah

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:wrong:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Groda posted:

It'd be flattering to mistake a Dane for somebody whose language has a written form.

its more accurate to say we have two languages, but not in the manner of norway where there is some correspondence between the two, instead they are wholly incompatible. theres spoken danish, ie the infamous meaningless guttural sounds, and written danish, a sort of quaint throwback to how nerds thought we should speak centuries ago

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

its more accurate to say we have two languages, but not in the manner of norway where there is some correspondence between the two, instead they are wholly incompatible. theres spoken danish, ie the infamous meaningless guttural sounds, and written danish, a sort of quaint throwback to how nerds thought we should speak centuries ago

Doesn't French have something equivalent, or is it just fiction that French teachers use to make you think you may have had to memorize even more verb forms?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

So like English, kinda

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

OddObserver posted:

Doesn't French have something equivalent, or is it just fiction that French teachers use to make you think you may have had to memorize even more verb forms?

French has a fetishistic attraction to the past participle, yes. In its most formal written uses you’ll still occasionally find other forms used, but even in everyday writing you won’t see the actual past tense.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

OddObserver posted:

Danish is definitely the French of the Germanic languages. Swedish and Norwegian are Spanish and Portuguese. English is Romanian, the weird joke no one wants to deal with

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Ras Het posted:

English is Romanian, the weird joke no one wants to deal with

I've always been interested as to why English is one of the most commonly spoken second languages.

Is it just that the US (and to a lesser extent the UK/Canada/Australia) are wealthy nations so business is often conducted in English?

edit: heres a reference from wikipedia. the top langauges are unsurprising, but the breakdown between 1st/2nd languages is interesting

drk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 19, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think you can probably blame the british empire for that one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

drk posted:

I've always been interested as to why English is one of the most commonly spoken second languages.

Is it just that the US (and to a lesser extent the UK/Canada/Australia) are wealthy nations so business is often conducted in English?

edit: heres a reference from wikipedia. the top langauges are unsurprising, but the breakdown between 1st/2nd languages is interesting

originally UK colonialism, now US cultural hegemony

drk
Jan 16, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Sure, but that doesnt explain why so many western europeans speak English. I doubt it is out of their great love for the UK or US

edit: ah perhaps its their great love for terrible american TV

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

US cultural hegemony

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ras Het posted:

Danish is definitely the French of the Germanic languages. Swedish and Norwegian are Spanish and Portuguese. English is Romanian, the weird joke no one wants to deal with

ya this is pretty accurate

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

yeah sure, but its a second order effect.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

OwlFancier posted:

they had a revolution, they can take the blame themselves :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drk posted:

Sure, but that doesnt explain why so many western europeans speak English. I doubt it is out of their great love for the UK or US

You don't have to love it to live in a world where shitloads of people speak it (because the brits occupied a shitload of the world and set up schools to teach the children of the local bigwigs how to speak english so they could better function in the colonial administration, which then post-independence still translates to significant institutional knowledge and use of the colonial language and it can remain a sort of prestige language because not necessarily everyone is a dyed in the wool anticolonialist to the point of deliberately rejecting all the cultural affectations of the colonisers)

Also like, TV exists. Radio. A lot of prestige media in the 20th century was produced in english because of hollywood and the general US media industry, TV, movies, music, broadcast around the world in english.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

OwlFancier posted:

It's both. The British Empire paved the way to US cultural domination, and british culture has a presence, but it's the culture of the US that you see first and foremost entrenched everywhere.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Also technical stuff is often in English because of early US (and UK) successes in computing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And German failures in diplomacy.

German would probably be the default language of chemistry and electrical engineering if if weren't for that period where a lot of international goodwill was burned, most of the 1880s-1920s stuff is compiled in that language.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

drk posted:

edit: ah perhaps its their great love for terrible american TV

If you don't live in a country that dubs media then 60%+ of all the movies and TV you see are going to be in English.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Guavanaut posted:

And German failures in diplomacy.

German would probably be the default language of chemistry and electrical engineering if if weren't for that period where a lot of international goodwill was burned, most of the 1880s-1920s stuff is compiled in that language.

That and they expelled or killed all the scientists and intellectuals for being either leftist or Jewish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It's also useful in areas with a lot of different languages for everybody to learn the same second language. Who's going to take the effort to learn Dutch just to talk to Dutch people? Better to learn English and talk to people from all across Europe who have done the same, even if English isn't anyone's first language.

I recently visited Croatia and almost everyone I interacted with spoke very good English, even though most of the tourists appeared to be Swiss.

So while the root cause is the British Empire, I imagine the huge number of speakers is as much because English has achieved a critical mass and it's useful to everyone now as an international language.