Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Quote is not edit

:synpa:

For content: No rest for the wicked is out in an hour. I don't usually like souls-like games but I guess I'll try this, because the alternative is Diablo 4 :negative:

Hopper fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

Yeah, Tale of Two Wastelands. One of the greatest mods ever made.

Just be aware that it takes about an hour to install.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whenever i switch to desktop mode it's a crap shoot and more often than not i'll be stuck with a black screen and have to forcefully reboot the system

i saw something about reimaging the system or something helping with this but that sounds scary and i have no idea what sort of stuff that would involve

anyone got any info on this, potential other fixes, how to do to etc.? it's such a bummer to have desktop mode be mostly unusable due to this

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Your Computer posted:

whenever i switch to desktop mode it's a crap shoot and more often than not i'll be stuck with a black screen and have to forcefully reboot the system

i saw something about reimaging the system or something helping with this but that sounds scary and i have no idea what sort of stuff that would involve

anyone got any info on this, potential other fixes, how to do to etc.? it's such a bummer to have desktop mode be mostly unusable due to this

When that happened to me, it was something to do with the display settings. I was able to solve it by plugging in an external monitor, which showed at least some part of the desktop, so I could get to the settings and make it normal again.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Is a Tale of Two Wastelands worth it? It's been a very long time but I seem to recall FO3 not being that good

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

a7m2 posted:

Is a Tale of Two Wastelands worth it? It's been a very long time but I seem to recall FO3 not being that good

FO3's fine. Not great, not terrible, has some fun poo poo. Most people at the time were really mad about the ending, but they patched that probably 15 years ago now.

It was also extremely overshadowed by NV within what, two years of coming out?

My only real issue with TTW is that by the mid-point of either game you're basically a god, striding across the wasteland and smiting all in your path. I can't imagine starting up FONV with a late game FO3 character and how badly you would just break poo poo over you knee.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shart Carbuncle posted:

When that happened to me, it was something to do with the display settings. I was able to solve it by plugging in an external monitor, which showed at least some part of the desktop, so I could get to the settings and make it normal again.

yea i've figured it must have something to do with the display because i can hear the fans spin up and even hear some ui sounds but the screen is black. i don't have a way to connect an external monitor though :negative:

this has also made me wonder if the steam input just breaking is something that could be fixed with reimaging or if it's just how the steam deck is... i'm still AGONIZING over the fact that there is no good way to play traditional roguelikes when all it would take is to just let radial menus get activated with a button

i've gone back periodically to try the various insane workarounds that came up in this thread but inevitably they all just end up crashing the steam input/making it unresponsive. if i could make this work all my dreams would become true :negative:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

a7m2 posted:

FO3 is fine, but more importantly it seems like each thing on the map is way more divorced from the rest of the things on the map, and there's really no "flow" like FNV. So when you play FO3 you're probably just going to randomly explore things that are entirely self-contained.

If you play/enjoy FNV, and then you play FO3 you'll have a better time, so TTW is really great.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Your Computer posted:

yea i've figured it must have something to do with the display because i can hear the fans spin up and even hear some ui sounds but the screen is black. i don't have a way to connect an external monitor though :negative:

All you need is one of these and access to a TV https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-Pixelbook-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07THJGZ9Z?th=1.

As for the radial menu stuff, I got nothin.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shart Carbuncle posted:

All you need is one of these and access to a TV https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Aluminum-Pixelbook-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07THJGZ9Z?th=1.

As for the radial menu stuff, I got nothin.

ah! i'll look for something like that next time i'm hardware shoppin'

and the radial stuff.... yeah..... still haven't found a solution after all this time. i kinda hoped that it would just fix itself but honestly i kinda wish i had (found out how to and then) petitioned valve in some way about this because it would be such a HUGE boon.

tldr the thing i was trying to do was map trad roguelike numpad controls (which includes diagonals) to a radial menu like this

which itself works flawlessly and proves that this concept could work. the problem is just that the only ways to trigger a radial menu is either by clicking the pad/stick or releasing it and neither of those are good options for a roguelike. frustratingly if you put this on, say, the left stick, set it to trigger on stick click, and then map a face button to also be left stick click... it won't work. it will only trigger upon clicking in the actual physical stick and that's too awkward to be of use.

if this could be solved, i.e. just let a radial menu get triggered by a face button then an entire world of traditional roguelikes would be playable with a controller and i want this so bad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just treat TTW as a way to play Fallout 3 in a better engine. I have zero interest in actually moving between the two games with my character because they’re not balanced for that and there’s very little mod content that gives you a reason to ever go back to Fallout 3 once you’ve beaten it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Your Computer posted:

and the radial stuff.... yeah..... still haven't found a solution after all this time. i kinda hoped that it would just fix itself but honestly i kinda wish i had (found out how to and then) petitioned valve in some way about this because it would be such a HUGE boon.

tldr the thing i was trying to do was map trad roguelike numpad controls (which includes diagonals) to a radial menu like this

which itself works flawlessly and proves that this concept could work. the problem is just that the only ways to trigger a radial menu is either by clicking the pad/stick or releasing it and neither of those are good options for a roguelike. frustratingly if you put this on, say, the left stick, set it to trigger on stick click, and then map a face button to also be left stick click... it won't work. it will only trigger upon clicking in the actual physical stick and that's too awkward to be of use.

if this could be solved, i.e. just let a radial menu get triggered by a face button then an entire world of traditional roguelikes would be playable with a controller and i want this so bad.

I assume you're copying this concept from Caves of Qud's controller scheme - push the stick in a direction, then a button click to make the move. I'm guessing that's a part of Qud itself, not some controller scheme wizardry on their part. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

I assume you're copying this concept from Caves of Qud's controller scheme - push the stick in a direction, then a button click to make the move. I'm guessing that's a part of Qud itself, not some controller scheme wizardry on their part. :(

i'm actually copying it from tangledeep* (who i believe did it first?) but yeah it's the perfect solution to mapping a control stick to trad roguelike movement. it would just be so nice to be able to do it in Steam Input since that would in turn make it possible to apply to it every old roguelike without controller support (i.e. all of them) without having to somehow hack in controller support in the source code. perhaps i should ask the qud devs just to be sure if it's controller scheme wizardry or not

*https://i.imgur.com/6yhQ27V.mp4

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I am Steam Input's greatest champion and when I run into something like this it makes me irrationally mad because it feels like they thought of so many situations that when something FEELS like it should work a certain way but doesn't it really stands out.

My current nemesis is Button Chords (a phrase I hate, mode shift forever) don't work if your chosen chord button is already assigned a command of its own.

I have a binding for a game that has Ctrl on L5 and Enter on X.
I want L5+X to trigger, say, Space instead.
I figured even if Ctrl were firing at the same time, it wouldn't matter, since Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Space don't do anything special.
But L5+X doesn't trigger Space unless I remove the Ctrl binding from L5.

:mad:

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 18, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Your Computer posted:

What if you just did it by stick direction, not radial menu?

MOstly I'm thinking of this because I'm playing another game right now where left stick is assigned to a bunch of keyboard commands that on desktop are bound to letters, and as a result if you are in a text field (say naming a save game) and hit the stick it will input a ton of gibberish really fast.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Heyyy...it'll be bullshit work to set up, but this might be the answer: A button chord each of eight directions, where Direction + Chord Button is the actual Numpad number trigger.

This might, given my last complaint, mean you can't use that Chord Button for anything else. But maybe that's okay?

EDIT: Nope, poo poo - there's no Directional Pad option for Joystick behavior that lets you map all 8 separately. Only the cardinal directions.
EDIT 2: But... maybe a Radial Menu on the stick with button chords at each command in the radial.... gently caress nope, button chords don't work on radial menus apparently even though you can assign them

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 18, 2024

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

MOstly I'm thinking of this because I'm playing another game right now where left stick is assigned to a bunch of keyboard commands that on desktop are bound to letters, and as a result if you are in a text field (say naming a save game) and hit the stick it will input a ton of gibberish really fast.
this last part here is the problem and why i need a separate button for "confirming" the movement. it's fully possible to just map the directions to the stick but since inputting a single move command takes up your entire turn in a trad roguelike you really can't afford for that to be anything other than controlled. stick input is just far too liable to cause wrong or additional inputs that you don't want, which is where the idea of a "confirm button" comes in

Squiggle posted:

Heyyy...it'll be bullshit work to set up, but this might be the answer: A button chord each of eight directions, where Direction + Chord Button is the actual Numpad number trigger.

This might, given my last complaint, mean you can't use that Chord Button for anything else. But maybe that's okay?

EDIT: Nope, poo poo - there's no Directional Pad option for Joystick behavior that lets you map all 8 separately. Only the cardinal directions.
if you look back in my post history we also tried a bunch of other things like making the radial menu switch mappings so that for example the A button would be "down" in one mapping and "up" in another mapping, controlled by radial menu. which also ALMOST worked but it turns out if you swap input mappings too fast steam input just crashes. a similar thing happened with changing between two radial menus where again, if it happens too quickly steam input just crashes and stops taking input entirely :negative:

e: by far the most frustrating part about this is that if steam input was just consistent then this would be EASILY solved. radial menu is activated on left stick click. a button is mapped to left stick click. this should work but it doesn't

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Your Computer posted:

e: by far the most frustrating part about this is that if steam input was just consistent then this would be EASILY solved. radial menu is activated on left stick click. a button is mapped to left stick click. this should work but it doesn't

I think I understand why it's working like this: the activate-on-left-stick-click is "pressing this physical input," rather than the Steam Input "a Left Stick click command." I can't begin to guess at problems it might cause to change it, though.

I figured something out with the Button Chords and Radial Menus, though! Button Chords+Direction DOES work, but you have to press the chord button FIRST before you touch the stick. Which is the opposite of how it works in Qud, and what you want - to be able to freely wheel the stick around, but only trigger the step with the chord.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 18, 2024

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Has anyone had an issue where in-game menus quit working?
When I go into a game (I've tried DRG Survivors, Hades, and Halls of Torment so far), I get to the main menu and it's like the controller doesn't work. Audio cues still work like I'm selecting different menu items, but nothing on the actual menu screens change and I can't get to any other part of the game - the only way to exit the game is to hit B and close it from the Library menu. The same thing happens with an external (PS4) controller.

I haven't played the deck for a bit (mostly because of this) but a week or two ago I did have it hooked up to my TV and was using a PS4 controller and everything seemed to work fine.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

boxen posted:

Has anyone had an issue where in-game menus quit working?
When I go into a game (I've tried DRG Survivors, Hades, and Halls of Torment so far), I get to the main menu and it's like the controller doesn't work. Audio cues still work like I'm selecting different menu items, but nothing on the actual menu screens change and I can't get to any other part of the game - the only way to exit the game is to hit B and close it from the Library menu. The same thing happens with an external (PS4) controller.

I haven't played the deck for a bit (mostly because of this) but a week or two ago I did have it hooked up to my TV and was using a PS4 controller and everything seemed to work fine.
Could be you have to reorder controllers if you've been messing with external ones. Bring up the Steam menu (left button) and the top area of the input customization screen and maybe swap the order around.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Annath posted:

I just tried to start up Skyrim and got some (mod related) error. Since I haven't changed any mods since last time I played, I'm assuming an update to Skyrim hosed something.

I know there was some bit in the setup guide about having to like re-deploy mods in certain situations, but I can remember the specifics.

I think it was something about using Mod Organizer, so it'd probably also apply to New Vegas, or any other game using Mod Organizer.

I never did understand the reason why Mod Organizer using symlinks or whatever was "better" than just putting the mods into the actual folder. You're going to have to make a new game if you change your mods anyway, so having an "easier" time uninstalling them doesn't seem as useful to me (since I typically set up the mods I want and then don't change them again).
Having used both NMM and MO2, the latter having symlinks makes having different mod profiles a LOT easier, also you're extremely unlikely to ever gently caress up so bad you need to reinstall Skyrim completely.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
For any horror fans, I've been playing Life Eater. A game where you have to hunt your neighbors in order to covertly kidnap them and sacrifice them to a dark (and maybe imagined) god.

Nothing on protondb or google just yet, but it runs well! 60 fps so far, though I haven't played a ton yet.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

jokes posted:

The touchpad doesn't work wirelessly on Linux nor Windows (and also not the adaptive triggers) without jank-rear end third party software.

Uh, yes it does, I use it all the time with 0 setup lol. It worked on my Thinkpad T495 out of the box in Ubuntu (it actually recognized it as a bona fide touchpad too without steam input lol), it works out of the box on the steam deck (I use steam input for everything tho)

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 18, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

On the DualSense? I never had that experience

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

It did take a hot minute back in '22 to get steam input to recognize it as a Dualsense, but it's basically worked flawlessly since i got that rigged up.

(It worked fine before without that setup, but I really wanted to set the colour lol)

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

alexandriao posted:

Uh, yes it does, I use it all the time with 0 setup lol. It worked on my Thinkpad T495 out of the box in Ubuntu (it actually recognized it as a bona fide touchpad too without steam input lol), it works out of the box on the steam deck (I use steam input for everything tho)

I too have a Thinkpad, an older T430 and Ubuntu works flawlessly.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh thinking about it, ok so: to get the controller pad to work in desktop mode you have to override the desktop controller configuration. downside of this is that this can also gently caress with games. steam disables the dualsense touchpad in desktop mode on the steam deck by default IIRC

its under steam's own settings somewhere

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Skyrim wanted a new version of SKSE, so I put that in the directory.

Now it's complaining some other file is missing.

It's more frustrating trying to troubleshoot issues working only on the Deck itself than you'd think.

Especially from a hotel room.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://gist.github.com/richardgaywood/40f9bdfeffc04b999996cb702ec3c415

This unfortunately named chap has been working on a Windows to Deck guide for MO2, we managed to get it to work yesterday. He had better luck than I, I assume I made a mis-step though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

FireWorksWell posted:

https://gist.github.com/richardgaywood/40f9bdfeffc04b999996cb702ec3c415

This unfortunately named chap has been working on a Windows to Deck guide for MO2, we managed to get it to work yesterday. He had better luck than I, I assume I made a mis-step though.

Thanks! I'll have to check it out when I get home!

Hopefully I don't need to completely start over. I spent forever getting this working the first time, and really don't want to do the whole thing over again.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I wasted 3 hours trying to get Tale of Two Wastelands working on the deck thru legitimate means. I recommend going the :filez: pathway because someone else has already packaged everything up. You still need a small amount of mod organizer know how but it's way easier and faster than the legitimate way. You'll need to switch to proton experimental to run MO2. If you want to launch the game directly without going thru MO2, add the following to the launch arguments

quote:

"moshortcut://:Tale of Two Wastelands" %command%

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Downloading a mod off the Nexus site, dropping it in the MO2 folder, and checking it in MO2 isn’t any trouble at all on the Deck. Being able to run Vortex in handheld mode would be pretty awesome, though.

My Fallout 3 TTW playthrough used around 120 mods and only crashed twice in ~100 hrs so I can attest to the stability of this setup on the Steam Deck.

Might have to try this. Like stalker anomaly in scope.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I just realized today that my haptics and rumble don't work anymore. The trackpads give haptic feedback when the deck is booting up but once steam OS is loaded up, they just stop doing anything. :confused:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Downloading a mod off the Nexus site, dropping it in the MO2 folder, and checking it in MO2 isn’t any trouble at all on the Deck. Being able to run Vortex in handheld mode would be pretty awesome, though.

My Fallout 3 TTW playthrough used around 120 mods and only crashed twice in ~100 hrs so I can attest to the stability of this setup on the Steam Deck.

Dang, I was just looking at modding FO3 today and one of the things I was going to install (Fallout Script Extender) wanted me to change the game to load from their loader.exe instead of the game .exe and I thought that sounded annoying to figure out and decided to rain check.

I was really just trying to enable quick saving and loading so I could save scum mid-conversation, not go mod crazy in general.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 19, 2024

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
So, if I was to set up Viva New Vegas on my PC, how do you transfer that to the Steamdeck?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

For anyone else who was interested in No Rest for the Wicked, the devs claim that it would run day one on Deck was only true in the most technical sense. It does boot up, but at the lowest settings with 50% resolution scaling it's still a pretty choppy experience. It can sometimes get into the 30-40fps range, but it more frequently drops to low 20s and occasionally hangs out in the low teens. Looks like a potato with those settings too.

I imagine they'll optimize it better down the line, but the twitter statement was very misleading. Best to wait if you'll only play on Deck.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I'm selling my Switch today at last (Bought in 2018) and I'm thinking of a Steam Deck Oled again. Even though I probably shouldn't. I do have an upcoming work trip and all that so that is why I am tempted again. I'm just wondering how bad the "mura" effect is on the oled. It seems very odd that the oled screen can't seem to handle dark scenes without going super grainy? Was it just early units or still a thing?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does fallout 3/nv on steam have controller support?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does fallout 3/nv on steam have controller support?

Yeah

If you don’t already own them lmk I have spare codes for 3 and NV GOTY/Ultimate editions that I’m doing gently caress all with since I already have them. 4 too actually.

Offer open to anyone ITT if you don’t need them!

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 19, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah

If you don’t already own them lmk I have spare codes for 3 and NV GOTY/Ultimate editions that I’m doing gently caress all with since I already have them. 4 too actually.

Offer open to anyone ITT if you don’t need them!

I'd love them please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'd love them please!

PM sent