Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"philosophy" "specialized education" bwha? ofc at a certain level you need a special keyboard for symbols to just talk about poo poo, just to consider or think about anything that's not a toy example, ex:

yY, ∃!xX such that y = f(x)
For every function f, let X be a subset of the domain and Y a subset of the codomain. One has always X f−1(f(X)) and f(f−1(Y)) ⊆ Y, where f(X) is the image of X and f−1(Y) is the preimage of Y under f. If f is injective, then X = f−1(f(X)), and if f is surjective, then f(f−1(Y)) = Y.
For every function h : X → Y, one can define a surjection H : X → h(X) : x → h(x) and an injection I : h(X) → Y : y → y. It follows that h = I H. This decomposition as the composition of a surjection and an injection is unique up to an isomorphism, in the sense that, given such a decomposition, there is a unique bijection φ : h(X) → H(X) such that H(x) = φ(h(x)) and I(φ(h(x))) = h(x) for every xX.

:how: lol they have played us for fools! As an aside i think there's no reason this couldn't be standard knowledge at highschool level or something except the building a society without it is on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I guess for the sake of conversation I'd like to hear someone make the case for how these could be foreign drones and why the US would be reacting the way it is.

If they're foreign in origin would it require a more forceful response than the US wants to make right now? Are we not capable of safely taking down drones over domestic population centers? Etc.

This is a Russian tank in Ukraine with EW equipment haphazardly strapped to the top and it's good enough to stop any drones in the area by knocking out their communication. Anybody telling me the US military doesn't have the ability to easily knock out human made drones over it's most secure airspace is blowing smoke up my rear end.

Like I could maybe see them not want to shoot something down with missiles over that area, but there are lots of capabilities the military currently has that can handle the problem. Additionally, if they were human in origin they would pretty easily be able to track down their origin point considering it wasn't a single flyby and happened repeatedly for a month.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

SniperWoreConverse posted:

there's no reason this couldn't be standard knowledge at highschool level or something except the building a society without it is on purpose.

ding ding ding

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

math and philosophy suck

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

math and philosophy are just doing their best :saddumb:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

[To develop the ideal religion] the first of these critical movements is mystical. This mystical movement means that one is not satisfied with any of the concrete expressions of the Ultimate, of the Holy. One goes beyond them. Man goes to the one beyond any manifoldness. The Holy as the Ultimate lies beyond any of its embodiments. The embodiments are justified. They are accepted but they are secondary. One must go beyond them in order to reach the highest, the Ultimate itself. The particular is denied for the Ultimate One.

:hmmyes:

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Carp posted:

Physics is hungry for magic. When we quantized the atom, we affixed physics into math. Math became not just the language of physics, it became the rigid foundation of physics. Math is not inspiration, it is communication, it is descriptive. The ideas are described by math; we should not look for narratives to fit the math. We do now, we did then so we could progress at a critical time, but now, we need magic.

(I probably watch too much Sabine)

One idea I play with lately is that scientific materialism cannot properly interpret the quantum measurement problem for the same reason it cannot include consciousness, that really these are the same problem. It's okay, I am allowed to think heretical thoughts like this, I left the field.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

they have been thinking that forever. Bohr thought that. I think Feynman said it too

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

im_sorry posted:

About 20 years ago, we fostered a quaker who had plucked his chest bald. To this day, fully feathered quakers look weird.

We called him Randy, because we're horrible people.

edit: Also 1AM insomnia jam - sadly, no birds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmYzKWkBL18
I have a lot of posts to catch up on, but I wanted to pop in and say this is a great song really quick. Nice!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you don’t need to interpret QM tho I think. it still all works just by describing it

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

euphronius posted:

they have been thinking that forever. Bohr thought that. I think Feynman said it too

Feynman said "shut up and calculate!" and that has become the refrain

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

euphronius posted:

Von Neumann was the dude who really pushed this angle early on, iirc

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

D-Pad posted:

This is a Russian tank in Ukraine with EW equipment haphazardly strapped to the top and it's good enough to stop any drones in the area by knocking out their communication. Anybody telling me the US military doesn't have the ability to easily knock out human made drones over it's most secure airspace is blowing smoke up my rear end.

Like I could maybe see them not want to shoot something down with missiles over that area, but there are lots of capabilities the military currently has that can handle the problem. Additionally, if they were human in origin they would pretty easily be able to track down their origin point considering it wasn't a single flyby and happened repeatedly for a month.

What about China though? And aren't we currently getting our asses kicked by Houthi drones? I'm not disagreeing, but you wanted conversation lol

I'm so far of the opinion that they are more anomalous than simple drones (if they are manmade drones then they are either of a caliber that hasn't been made public or our military is more incompetent that I realized), but I am curious to know how we can rule out the mundane explanations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i can also imagine that the military may not think that the drones are anything besides a nuisance at the moment (versus actually stealing secrets or whatever) and don't necessarily want to show off all the countermeasures (and/or don't want to deploy them in a comparatively heavily populated area).

i'd want to see more proof of this anomalous behaviour before i'd think they were anything but standard drones

Carp
May 29, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nYjZk7FkQ

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mediaphage posted:

i can also imagine that the military may not think that the drones are anything besides a nuisance at the moment (versus actually stealing secrets or whatever) and don't necessarily want to show off all the countermeasures (and/or don't want to deploy them in a comparatively heavily populated area).

i'd want to see more proof of this anomalous behaviour before i'd think they were anything but standard drones

They look incredibly weak letting these things fly over our domestic bases though, and they're apparently moving equipment around to avoid them. But like you say it may be strategically even worse to reveal countermeasures, like everyone is saying for the current Iran/Israel situation.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

D-Pad posted:

if it’s a state actor committing fancy new drones to loiter over sensitive facilities there’s no way they’d send in something that lands when it’s jammed

re: looking weak good I’m glad they’re choosing to look weak for once instead of flying off the goddamned handle over something relatively minor

WEH has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Apr 18, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Saucer Hovers posted:

math and philosophy suck

i love that our layer of reality is so shoddy its literally is full of holes

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What about China though? And aren't we currently getting our asses kicked by Houthi drones? I'm not disagreeing, but you wanted conversation lol

I'm so far of the opinion that they are more anomalous than simple drones (if they are manmade drones then they are either of a caliber that hasn't been made public or our military is more incompetent that I realized), but I am curious to know how we can rule out the mundane explanations.

Not sure what you mean by "what about China". China doesn't have drones immune to every form of countermeasure. Being able to counter EW would require way more power than anything but the largest drones could carry and that type of drone would require major infrastructure to launch that would be easy to detect. It's not like China has a destroyer parked off our coast without us knowing or built an airbase down the road from DC. There are other anti-drone systems besides EW as well.

The Houthi drones aren't kicking our asses in a way applicable to this situation. 95% of them are being shot down, they are also not the type of drones that would loiter over a base and are more akin to a guided missile. The ones that are occasionally getting through are either because they are out of range of any ships/planes in the area or part of a very large group and one manages to get through. They are kicking our rear end in the sense we are using $3 million missiles to shoot down $20k drones and having to deploy multiple ships to cover the area that cost millions a day to operate. We are also destroying their launch sites every time they pop up because it isn't hard for the military to track where drones are launched from!

As far as a mundane explanation being ruled out let's do a thought experiment. You are China and against all good sense decide you want to carry out a mission on the other side of the world in some of the most secure airspace in the world. You want to use multiple different sizes/configurations of drones and you want to use them to loiter right over an airbase that has America's most advanced fighters repeatedly over a month. Absolute stealth is required to not get caught, any hint you are behind it will set off an international incident and could be considered an act of war. How many people would be required for that? Launching, operating, recovering, maintenance, intel, support staff, etc would all be required. If you want to be land based how do you get all that into the US and hide it? If you want ship launched how do you not get detected being right outside of one of the biggest naval bases on the east coast? Sure, the US military could be caught with their pants down at first, but you are giving them a whole month to get their poo poo together. They even bring in a specialty plane from NASA, how do you hide from that? If China wanted to fly a single drone over the base once it would still be risky, but they could probably pull it off, but repeatedly over a month? Just not happening imo.

mediaphage posted:

I don't buy the line of reasoning that the military just saw them as a nuisance. They had to relocate an entire fighter wing, the wing that protects the capital airspace and is on alert 24/7. That costs major money and degrades their response ability. If you think this wouldn't kick the hornets nest in a big way you are crazy. And again, if they were standard drones, they would have been stopped easily. Even if they didn't want to shoot them down they can use non-lethal countermeasures and even if they didn't want to do that they could easily track their origin point and would absolutely do something about a nest of Chinese spies/military conducting military operations on American soil with impunity.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

vnv nation slaps, they did an orchestral remix of that song iirc that, unsurprisingly, also slaps

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Al! posted:

i love that our layer of reality is so shoddy its literally is full of holes
I love it honestly a bit unironically myself. Like, it can be frustrating to feel like you don't know something, but at the same time, the fact that there are holes is hopeful. It has value on its own as part of the fabric of our lives, and also it means that there is potentially even more to be discovered in the future, which makes at least my own brain go pretty :sickos:

I spent some time meditating on a couple Zen/Zen-like koans recently (as presented in my trusty battered copy of the Little Zen Companion of course). One of which I believe I've posted before, but I believe they relate to questions like this.

Hasan Basri posted:

Another time I saw a child coming toward me holding a lighted torch in his hand. "Where have you brought the light from?" I asked him. He immediately blew it out, and said to me, "O Hasan, tell me where it is gone, and I will tell you whence I fetched it."

Bertolt Brecht posted:

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Ty I think I confused him with Feynman

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Apparently that shitbird Greenewald got fed a bunch of documents from AARO about Grusch, some particularly weird stuff in there, e.g. that Grusch at one point was actually scheduled to meet with Kirkpatrick but ghosted him at the meeting.

This seems like a prelude to something.

https://www.theblackvault.com/documentarchive/foia-documents-reveal-aaros-authorized-and-repeated-attempts-to-engage-with-david-grusch/

Perhaps more importantly there are texts between Melon and Kirkpatrick that are catty as hell but also show Grusch is 100% part of Lue crew

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The closest comparison I guess is the Chinese balloon, which we openly obliterated. And the Chinese owned up to it immediately and apologetically (not sincerely I'm sure). But it went through the expected theatrics. None of this fits my understanding of how this would play out if it were a foreign operation.

It's not like there's no precedent for UFOs monitoring military bases. And we've had major, visible flaps over important places before. I forget the characteristics of the DC flap, but that might be worth looking at for comparison.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

actually the Mellon texts make it kinda clear he also thinks AARO was a catch and kill program, and that the IC IG and DOJ are running counter to them by not sharing the stuff Grusch submitted to them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Tapping out on the mathmatical images for now.

Posted before, maybe in this thread, but I once had a computer with all those mystery symbols on it, and periodically I get a hair up my rear end and try to figure out what the deal was supposed to be with that thing and how all that poo poo was supposed to work. I don't have a book on it or anything, but apparently a bijective function is invertible so idk like multiply and divide by the same amount would get you back to the same location. But then it goes on to say this composition of two bijections is also a bijection, but this means the first function must be injective, and the second surjective. (Obviously :v:) I can almost feel old brain circuits trying to wake up and am arbitrarily guessing this is somehow related to how you can have /0 problems in arithmetic or something, like you can try to "uninsert" when that's not possible, or create information from nothing, or there is just some in-general relationship where you can use this mumbo jumbo to analyze the normal intuitive math rules we all had to learn. Which even then wasn't very intuitive now that I think about it. I had to drill it until it became intuitive.

There isn't much that's "naturally" logical or "naturally" anything about humans, imo. Some basics maybe. I'm gonna have to just accept I'm gonna be mystified on this, and in the meantime get better at time budgeting. I only spent an hour on this but if I end up going down a rabbit hole now then I won't get anything else I want to do actually done. One thing I do like about it is that all the explanatory diagrams and stuff at first glance look highly suspicious and almost occult, lol gonna go ahead and keep that in the notes if I ever get around to making some of these projects.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Apparently that shitbird Greenewald got fed a bunch of documents from AARO about Grusch, some particularly weird stuff in there, e.g. that Grusch at one point was actually scheduled to meet with Kirkpatrick but ghosted him at the meeting.

This seems like a prelude to something.

https://www.theblackvault.com/documentarchive/foia-documents-reveal-aaros-authorized-and-repeated-attempts-to-engage-with-david-grusch/

Perhaps more importantly there are texts between Melon and Kirkpatrick that are catty as hell but also show Grusch is 100% part of Lue crew

so June 8 2023 is the first date cited here, which is 3 days after The Debrief published the article that introduced Big Dave to the world, which is the same day Coulthart interviewed him

iirc Grusch said he tried to contact AARO several times before going public and was never acknowledged. looks like AARO only started paying attention after he went public lol what nonsense.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I love VNV Nation too. I was just jamming to this while meditating, then looking at Hades 2 art. I had a great time with the original game, and I am really hype for 2 based on what I've seen of it.

Listening to this particular song then seeing this Selene excerpt really hit:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i believe that there are both ufos and an unbelievable amount of trash in the upper atmosphere, and if forced to pick one the government will ultimately pick ufos to cover up the sky trash rather than vice versa so i will never trust "disclosure"

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Al! posted:

i believe that there are both ufos and an unbelievable amount of trash in the upper atmosphere, and if forced to pick one the government will ultimately pick ufos to cover up the sky trash rather than vice versa so i will never trust "disclosure"

the UFOs put the trash there. they're space hooligans throwing beer cans out the window while they knock over our mailboxes

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

I think he rejected it because it seems to lead to solipsism in the Wigner's friend experiment (but perhaps not if you believe all minds are one... At least that was my conclusion the last time I tried to think on the subject)

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

hell, wheeler thought there was just one electron. haha why not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there is only one electron

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

so June 8 2023 is the first date cited here, which is 3 days after The Debrief published the article that introduced Big Dave to the world, which is the same day Coulthart interviewed him

iirc Grusch said he tried to contact AARO several times before going public and was never acknowledged. looks like AARO only started paying attention after he went public lol what nonsense.

Honestly I don't blame Grusch for ghosting them anyway. They are very obviously a catch and kill operation and that would be obvious to him being a career intelligence guy. He gave his testimony under oath to the IG, it might be different if he had only gone public and refused to talk to anybody at all.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In those Mellon-Kirkpatrick texts, Mellon says Grusch was reluctant to talk to AARO in part because he didn't know if Kirkpatrick was a target of the criminal investigation.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It would be very appropriate for Kirkpatrick to be one of the people who threatened Grusch with reprisal in a former role before becoming the AARO head

would explain the "bad blood" too

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

euphronius posted:

there is only one electron

it is also the positron

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
wait a minute, if antimatter has normal gravity, then how can it have true time reversal?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

captainbananas posted:

hell, wheeler thought there was just one electron. haha why not

of all the cool and true things in this thread, this is definitely truest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kirkpatrick is the sorta guy who would smirk and say "nothing personal" right before he did something extremely lovely and personal to you