Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

MTG doesn't know poo poo about space or ballistic missiles or lasers or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

redshirt posted:

I know why it's happening - Russian actions - but it's sad to see much of the world re-arm after so long, much of Europe and Asia was disarmed for the most part after WW2, and seemed to like it. I wonder if this represents some of the reluctance of Europe to respond to Russian actions now, that it was a good period of time and they don't want to see it go away.

But sadly, I don't think we have much choice.

The European NATO countries were quite heavily armed until 1990, unfortunately they got cocky and signed the Conventional Forces Europe treaty according to which Russia could move stuff to Siberia to avoid having to destroy it and the European nations could not.
In theory, they could have moved their tanks and howitzers to places like the Falklands, Guyana and the Antilles to also get them out of the treaty area but they decided to play it fair.

All those massive tank and artillery storage sites now being watched to count how much is left are from way back then.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

MTG doesn't know poo poo about anything

FTFY

The lady is so nuts that she was kicked out of the "Freedom Caucus" (the coalition consisting of the other Putin rimjobbers/Trump worshipers/"build the wall" types) for being too crazy.

Although, it was funny when some of these "leftist" groups who "just want peace" had to start furiously backpedaling when they realized that their positions were aligned with, and publicly supported by, the far right nutjob lady.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 18, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tai posted:

Yeah this was always a weird thing. Ukraine aid was popular among the GOP and most GOP voters seemed pro or ambivalent about it. It was Johnson stopping it from being voted on and a handful of under developed people like MTG or Gaetz making noise about it.

depends on the conservatives. I know plenty even trump liking ones who are fine with backing ukraine or think biden isnt doing enough and we should article 5 already. that being said a big section which are either hardline trumpers or weird religious nuts or ultra nationalists run full isolationist or believe russias bullshit for various reasons.

The_Franz posted:

FTFY

The lady is so nuts that she was kicked out of the "Freedom Caucus" (the coalition consisting of the other Putin rimjobbers/Trump worshipers/"build the wall" types) for being too crazy.

this. most of them are true believer idiots or oppertunists, maybe like 20 years ago, the GOP had enough brain boyz to keep them in line. lol now.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

CeeJee posted:

The European NATO countries were quite heavily armed until 1990, unfortunately they got cocky and signed the Conventional Forces Europe treaty according to which Russia could move stuff to Siberia to avoid having to destroy it and the European nations could not.
In theory, they could have moved their tanks and howitzers to places like the Falklands, Guyana and the Antilles to also get them out of the treaty area but they decided to play it fair.

All those massive tank and artillery storage sites now being watched to count how much is left are from way back then.

Yeah, the European NATO members were pulling their weight in the cold war.

Take as an example the Netherlands, a small, not particularly warlike country with a population of 15 million people at the time. In 1990, we had :

2889 infantry fighting vehicles. Down to 766 now.
913 main battle tanks. Down to 18 now.
418 units of artillery. Down to 116 now.
211 fighter jets (F16). Down to 42 now.
14 navy destroyers. Down to 6 now.

After a lot of hand wringing, and a lot of political and logistical maneuvering, the UK, US, and western europe between them finally managed to send 90 or so tanks to Ukraine. The Netherlands of 1990 could fill that order by itself , and not really break a sweat doing so.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe like 20 years ago, the GOP had enough brain boyz to keep them in line. lol now.

'Ere, modz! Dat's not okay ta call republicans orkz :orks:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Philonius posted:

Yeah, the European NATO members were pulling their weight in the cold war.

Take as an example the Netherlands, a small, not particularly warlike country with a population of 15 million people at the time. In 1990, we had :

2889 infantry fighting vehicles. Down to 766 now.
913 main battle tanks. Down to 18 now.
418 units of artillery. Down to 116 now.
211 fighter jets (F16). Down to 42 now.
14 navy destroyers. Down to 6 now.

After a lot of hand wringing, and a lot of political and logistical maneuvering, the UK, US, and western europe between them finally managed to send 90 or so tanks to Ukraine. The Netherlands of 1990 could fill that order by itself , and not really break a sweat doing so.

Jesus.

E: can you even fit 913 mbts inside your borders?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

The_Franz posted:

Although, it was funny when some of these "leftist" groups who "just want peace" had to start furiously backpedaling when they realized that their positions were aligned with, and publicly supported by, the far right nutjob lady.

Lol what. You're claiming that some tankies actually reflected on something and changed their position? Did they somehow manage to arrive at "actually Putin is quite bad"? I find that hard to believe

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

The_Franz posted:

FTFY

When you look around the room and you're in the corner with Alex Jones, MTG, Gaetz, Hinkle and Tucker. And some still double down on the conspiracy talk.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Tai posted:

Yeah this was always a weird thing. Ukraine aid was popular among the GOP and most GOP voters seemed pro or ambivalent about it. It was Johnson stopping it from being voted on and a handful of under developed people like MTG or Gaetz making noise about it.
I have trouble believing mtg isn't a more direct Russian asset, above and beyond the usual influence Russia has had on the far right.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

I have trouble believing mtg isn't a more direct Russian asset, above and beyond the usual influence Russia has had on the far right.

I dunno. If I'm paying off some people, MTG isn't it. She's too loving stupid to keep her mouth shut and would probably gloat about it thinking she's made it or some poo poo.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tai posted:

I dunno. If I'm paying off some people, MTG isn't it. She's too loving stupid to keep her mouth shut and would probably gloat about it thinking she's made it or some poo poo.

I've seen the two loony Irish MEPs speaking in the EU Parliament... sometimes you really don't have to pay for that level of stupid. :facepalm: :suicide:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am entirely ok with Russia launching a full scale air land and sea invasion of Ireland just to see out of sheer curiosity how “Road Bowls”would be weaponized against the invaders. To see the stuffed turkey in a track suit figure of the mighty Pa Flood off the TickTalk doing big underarm stone lobs against some sea air rust etched T14s and watching them fast bowled stones punch big holes in the armour. It would be grand.

naem
May 29, 2011

I get that there was an angry vocal a-hole demographic who felt under-represented that america’s current right wing tapped into for votes,

I don’t understand trying to drive us all off a cliff?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

I am entirely ok with Russia launching a full scale air land and sea invasion of Ireland just to see out of sheer curiosity how “Road Bowls”would be weaponized against the invaders. To see the stuffed turkey in a track suit figure of the mighty Pa Flood off the TickTalk doing big underarm stone lobs against some sea air rust etched T14s and watching them fast bowled stones punch big holes in the armour. It would be grand.

Given the state of the Irish Defence Forces; we let them conquer us, then spend the next 800 years annoying the gently caress out of them till they go away. :shrug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1780975035949232140
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1780993337517920296

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lmao perfidious Anglo-Saxons at it again.

Yeah, and the loving bastard's been hiding in the Kremlin for the last 24 years.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jaete posted:

Lol what. You're claiming that some tankies actually reflected on something and changed their position? Did they somehow manage to arrive at "actually Putin is quite bad"? I find that hard to believe

No, they just slightly altered their posturing to try and not appear as though they were in league with a right wing whacko, even though they all want the same outcome in this case.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

What if they're managed by Jutes or Picts instead?

Burns
May 10, 2008

I wonder if this will push up Russia's timetable for their new offensive?

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
The eyebrow will surely be raised

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780945360170402065
There's the final tally for the ATACMS hit last night. What appears to be an entire S-400 battery, along with surveillance equipment and an air defense control post.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1780945360170402065
There's the final tally for the ATACMS hit last night. What appears to be an entire S-400 battery, along with surveillance equipment and an air defense control post.

Russian air defense seems to be pretty good at stopping air attacks. Maybe not quite in the way the designers intended, but the warheads were destroyed at the air defense (not by the air defense).

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The_Franz posted:

FTFY

They are literally cheering and stanning even this latest MTG bullshit.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

No no air defence shot those down. It was the burning rubble and a couple of unrelated smoking accidents again.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
More like err defence :dadjoke:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

The ATACMs exploded with air defence, not from air defence.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

mtg is stupid enough to be russia's mouthpiece for free

matt gaetz on the other hand is definitely on the take

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

HKR posted:

mtg is stupid enough to be russia's mouthpiece for free

matt gaetz on the other hand is definitely on the take

Wonder how many of his "girlfriends" had Russian accents. Might not even be on the take, just blackmailed.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Just Another Lurker posted:

Given the state of the Irish Defence Forces; we let them conquer us, then spend the next 800 years annoying the gently caress out of them till they go away. :shrug:

Ah, don't worry, we have a plan for that... :v:

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the real plan would be "surrender instantly and hope that the UK isn't willing to share a land border with Russia and eventually decides to do something about it, and also hope that 'something' isn't 'sell Northern Ireland to Putin...'"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Commodore_64 posted:

Wonder how many of his "girlfriends" had Russian accents. Might not even be on the take, just blackmailed.

Considering the age of his partners(allegedly)....

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Scarodactyl posted:

nah, she is a dumb piece poo poo who believes awful politics and either believes the russian lies OR believes russia are the magic good guys.

My guess is johnson saw a more comprehensive more dire version of this. https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/politics/cia-director-ukraine-russia-warning/index.html

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Russia is dumb, but are they dumb enough to hire MTG? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/blyskavka_ua/status/1780983762039312582

quote:

⚡️A russian agent who offered to assassinate Volodymyr Zelenskyy to russian special services was exposed in Poland, – the SSU said.

The offender’s plan was to collect and transmit information to the aggressor country about the security of Rzeszów-Jasionka Airport.

"Thanks to successful actions and prompt exchange of information between the countries, the recruited agent of the russian special services was identified and detained in Poland", – the SSU press service writes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Russia is dumb, but are they dumb enough to hire MTG? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

A bit like a tankie, it's not overly effective but it's free.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

dennyk posted:

Ah, don't worry, we have a plan for that... :v:

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure the real plan would be "surrender instantly and hope that the UK isn't willing to share a land border with Russia and eventually decides to do something about it, and also hope that 'something' isn't 'sell Northern Ireland to Putin...'"

I unironically think the Irish Americans in the US would not stand for it and would successfully pressure the US gov to intervene

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I like that we have forum cicadas now.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
In a way I'm disappointed it wasn't a 100,001 hour ban this time.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

A Tu-22M3 fell out of the sky today. Ukraine claims to have shot it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

zone posted:

A Tu-22M3 fell out of the sky today. Ukraine claims to have shot it down.
Bring back the Spongebob meme from the Moskva sinking.