Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There's a hearing for the gag order violations on Monday I think that will result in like, five digits worth of fines lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's broken his gag order at least seven times and nobody wants to do anything about it but weakly complain, so it's pretty clear where this is going.

10 times. it was seven additional times since the judge signed the show cause order for the original three times he broke it.

he's got a hearing on that monday morning where the judge will fine him the statutory amount ($10k - $1k per violation) and threaten him with jailtime if he does it again. he will do it again, and then we see what the judge will do. probably will just fine him and yell at him again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fabricated posted:

There's a hearing for the gag order violations on Monday I think that will result in like, five digits worth of fines lol

$1k per violation is the statutory max.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fabricated posted:

so a few thousand more dollars that 60 year old guys with lovely facial hair and bad opinions will pay for him through RNC donations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
hellworld quad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
loving denied

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

so a few thousand more dollars that 60 year old guys with lovely facial hair and bad opinions will pay for him through RNC donations.

oh yeah he's not paying a penny of this fine personally.

Apr 7, 2003

It is absolutely stunning to me that he's somehow allowed to launder money through the RNC to pay his fines and legal costs and nobody is talking about how insane that is.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

hellworld quad

lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It is absolutely stunning to me that he's somehow allowed to launder money through the RNC to pay his fines and legal costs and nobody is talking about how insane that is.

i scream about it every chance i get. i can't see how this isn't an fec violation at the minimum.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Mr. Nice! posted:

the rusted stuff you're seeing there is damaged nonskid. it's a coating applied to the weatherdeck surfaces of ships. it's basically a thick spiky metal epoxy of sorts that will give you grip in any weather and destroy anything it comes in contact with like shoes or dropped cell phones.

you can paint nonskid to minimize rust by thinning paint and then applying it, but this reduces the actual grip of the nonskid and is not technically supposed to be done.

the deck itself isn't rusted, and neither is the hull of the ship visible on the superstructure. any ship from any nation that has spent 6+ months deployed is going to have rust in the nonskid on the deck and some rust in places all over because it's a big iron boat sitting in saltwater. the picture you posted is a ship that has been on deployment and has not had a yard availability to replace the non-skid. when they do go into a longer availability or a drydock, the nonskid will be replaced throughout the ship.

I'm a former BM and this is all very accurate. I can't see these imgur embeds but I will trll you the US will keep its' ships painted right up until we spend our very last dollar.

The paint is corporate welfare that drives GDP. Being a paint supplier for the Navy is like the US shitburg version of being landed nobility.

2nd the paint is applied by undesignated seamen and though it's frowned on to say so outloud keeping them busy and treating them like poo poo is a tradition that predates America.

When I was in we maintained surfaces 5 - 20x what was actually recommended by the manuals. There are spots of rust on ships that will spring up daily and they'll dangle some teenager out there with a coke bottle full of paint and a wad of cut up ropes wrapped in duct tape for a brush every single day if they have to. Hell I've seen guys blowing wet paint with a heat gun because it was too cold to dry and cure properly. They literally encourage wasting paint and supplies because it makes the right people rich.

Also Mr.Nice I don't know how you know about deckwashing but I got my eye on you fucker!

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

what'd I tell ya

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

what happened to his nose?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

akadajet posted:

what happened to his nose?

eaten by leopards

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i watched trump's gettysburg speech and it was like the narration on an episode of drunk history

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Internet Old One posted:

I'm a former BM and this is all very accurate. I can't see these imgur embeds but I will trll you the US will keep its' ships painted right up until we spend our very last dollar.

The paint is corporate welfare that drives GDP. Being a paint supplier for the Navy is like the US shitburg version of being landed nobility.

2nd the paint is applied by undesignated seamen and though it's frowned on to say so outloud keeping them busy and treating them like poo poo is a tradition that predates America.

When I was in we maintained surfaces 5 - 20x what was actually recommended by the manuals. There are spots of rust on ships that will spring up daily and they'll dangle some teenager out there with a coke bottle full of paint and a wad of cut up ropes wrapped in duct tape for a brush every single day if they have to. Hell I've seen guys blowing wet paint with a heat gun because it was too cold to dry and cure properly. They literally encourage wasting paint and supplies because it makes the right people rich.

Also Mr.Nice I don't know how you know about deckwashing but I got my eye on you fucker!

i was a deck sn before i got commissioned. we definitely never deckwashed our ship.

i got a nam for my prep of the paint locker for insurv. when awarding it, the xo didn't read the actual block of text on the award, he just said "to sn nice for un...screwing the paint locker." he almost said unfucking but stopped himself because we were topside in homeport.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
fun fact if you spill enough paint on top of already spilled but not dried paint and keep spilling paint over and over for years, you'll eventually have a multi inch thick not quite solid not quite liquid and very sticky mess.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

nobody asked about your keyboard :barf:

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1781066693239836785

Gosh, if only the courts had a way to deal with a criminal organization that threatens jurors and witnesses

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Defense ran out of juror strikes and someone who openly expressed disdain for Trump got seated, so godspeed to them not getting killed by a twice divorced mechanic who drove from 3 states away to do it

Apr 7, 2003

After 1/20/2025 this Merchan character is probably going to end up in a deep hole somewhere

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Gosh, if only the courts had a way to deal with a criminal organization that threatens jurors and witnesses

the whole thing is a total sham designed to mentally exhaust people out of caring about it so the real criminals can continue to operate unnoticed and undeterred

Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

the whole thing is a total sham designed to mentally exhaust people out of caring about it so the real criminals can continue to operate unnoticed and undeterred

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This juror apparently got seated, how long before she gets tracked down

quote:

Juror 11: She was seated on the jury after Judge Juan Merchan denied the Trump team's challenge for cause. The former president's lawyers argued she should be dismissed because she said she does not like his “persona.”

During voir dire, she said:

"He just seems very selfish and self-serving so I don’t really appreciate that in any public servant, so I don’t know him as a person; so I don’t’ know how he is in terms of his integrity. It's just not my cup of tea."

The juror works for a multinational apparel company. She’s not a native New Yorker, not married and doesn’t have kids. She said she doesn’t really follow the news but occasionally follows headlines and reads industry-specific publications.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

:decorum:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

yeah I can’t think why the political class would want to avoid setting a precedent for looking too closely at this sort of thing. imagine how impolite it would be.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

10 times. it was seven additional times since the judge signed the show cause order for the original three times he broke it.

he's got a hearing on that monday morning where the judge will fine him the statutory amount ($10k - $1k per violation) and threaten him with jailtime if he does it again. he will do it again, and then we see what the judge will do. probably will just fine him and yell at him again.

sounds like an uphill battle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lots of people are talking about how insane it is. surprisingly congress doesn't want to do anything about this "free money for politicians" thing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Old One posted:

I'm a former BM … Navy … ships

lol

i bet you spent a lot of time on the — heh — poop deck

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

After 1/20/2025 this Merchan character is probably going to end up in a deep hole somewhere

i do think this is a valid concern, don't forget engoron too

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

lots of people are talking about how insane it is.

such as

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i do think this is a valid concern, don't forget engoron too

Honestly they deserve the holes they end up in

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

idk the daily beast has a ton of articles about it, cnn has some whenever some campaign finance statement is released, i've seen articles from nbc and abc about it, even NYT occasionally has pieces about it. it doesn't really come up unless there's new information though, being news and all

then theres more local things like this thread or the trum thread in cspam etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

*raises paw*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

*raises paw*

fart simpson also talks about it, now

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

idk the daily beast has a ton of articles about it, cnn has some whenever some campaign finance statement is released, i've seen articles from nbc and abc about it, even NYT occasionally has pieces about it. it doesn't really come up unless there's new information though, being news and all

then theres more local things like this thread or the trum thread in cspam etc

So nothing meaningful

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

So nothing meaningful

what would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

what would be

What passes for a modern Tom Brokaw announcing before an audience of the mass of middle America at 6 PM that the presumptive next president is defrauding his campaign.