Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I very much enjoyed the murderers going to a different house and suffering a huge reversal of fate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hey listen I didn't watch the rest of the movie and don't know what's going on in this scene but I'm gonna say it just ain't good!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn't say the rest of the movie isn't good. At any point. That would be ridiculous. I said I didn't like the tone and execution of that one scene and therefore it turned me off to the rest of it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he hasn't made anything outright terrible but he also hasn't made anything that was holy-poo poo-great since Inglorious Basterds

Correct.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
Nah, that was the scene I was complaining about too. Part of the problem is the sound design: one of the Manson women gets injured right at the beginning of the scene, and she spends the next five minutes shrieking her head off, which is just physically unpleasant to listen to. The Manson killers are also not very satisfying as victims of hyper violence; unlike nazis or southern slaveowners, it's a lot easier to see them as brainwashed cult members (and thus not really culpable). The nazis and slave owners in their respective movies were also legitimate, serious threats to their protagonists, and in both cases they had scenes where the protagonists were captured and helpless before the tables got turned. Brad Pitt, in contrast, doesn't know who the Manson family is and he just kind of demolishes them without a second thought

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I guess someone that's supposed to be a Charles Manson copycat? It was a crazy bearded dude and two crazy women attacking Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt at their house and it had some of the worst slapstick violence I've ever seen.

Absolute weird. It’s one of the funniest most cathartic scene I’ve seen in years.

And it’s not Charles Manson.

This is where I’d say reading true crime poo poo actually is valuable because while we cannot change the past we can fictionally cathartically murder the people who did this terrible thing and laugh at their misery and pain. Like seeing Hitler’s face explode. It’s wonderful

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hot take, gently caress the Manson family

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn't say the rest of the movie isn't good. At any point. That would be ridiculous. I said I didn't like the tone and execution of that one scene and therefore it turned me off to the rest of it.

I mean alright I hate on scenes where I have no context for as well so just joshing. But Ill just say its a buildup from the movie as whole.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I enjoyed Hateful Eight but it also just made me want to watch The Thing again.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

Nah, that was the scene I was complaining about too. Part of the problem is the sound design: one of the Manson women gets injured right at the beginning of the scene, and she spends the next five minutes shrieking her head off, which is just physically unpleasant to listen to. The Manson killers are also not very satisfying as victims of hyper violence; unlike nazis or southern slaveowners, it's a lot easier to see them as brainwashed cult members (and thus not really culpable). The nazis and slave owners in their respective movies were also legitimate, serious threats to their protagonists, and in both cases they had scenes where the protagonists were captured and helpless before the tables got turned. Brad Pitt, in contrast, doesn't know who the Manson family is and he just kind of demolishes them without a second thought

He had a whole encounter with the Manson family and remembers Tex.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

live with fruit posted:

Sure but they're clearly no threat to him. Contrast with, like, Django, where Django has a strong motivation to hate the slaveowners, and there's a middle act where they almost capture and torture him before he escapes. An underdog story is a lot more engaging than "some psychos run into Godzilla and get instantly squished"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Aglet56 posted:

Sure but they're clearly no threat to him. Contrast with, like, Django, where Django has a strong motivation to hate the slaveowners, and there's a middle act where they almost capture and torture him before he escapes. An underdog story is a lot more engaging than "some psychos run into Godzilla and get instantly squished"

Hollywood isn't an action movie like Django. Given what the Manson family actually did in real life, there's enough implied threat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

live with fruit posted:

It’s all pretty well spelled out too.

quote:

Cliff Booth : [to the Manson Family] Oh... wait a minute. I know you. I know all three of you! Yeah, Spahn Ranch! Spahn Ranch, yeah! Woo!
[turns to Katie]
Cliff Booth : I don't know your name, but I remember that red hair.
[turns to Sadie]
Cliff Booth : And you're Sadie. I remember your white little face.
[turns to Tex]
Cliff Booth : And you were on a horsey! Yeah... you are?
Tex : I'm the Devil. And I'm here to do the Devil's business!
Cliff Booth : [after a short pause] Nah, it was dumber than that. Something like Rex.
Sadie : God, shoot him, Tex!
Cliff Booth : Tex!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aglet56 posted:

They showed up to Dalton’s house to murder them all.

It’s self defense. What should he have done say nah I’m not gonna fight you, you’re just poor brainwashed kids. I think you should come to your senses

Lmao

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're no threat to the Men's Adventure guy who beat the poo poo out of Bruce Lee and is hanging with the trained attack dog.

They are very much a threat to Sharon Tate and her manlet friends. That's kind of the point.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s all pretty well spelled out too.

Lol that Tex said the line Manson was famous for.

Really do feel like Helter Skelter is a good prequel. And this movie is about I don't know Cliff Booth's dog going back in time to save Sharon Tate

E: oh poo poo Tex actually said that to one of his victims

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i guess if you have no idea who the Manson family was or what they did i can see how you might be frustrated at the climax of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I think Zodiac could have been even better if a hammered Leonardo Dicaprio and a hosed up Brad Pitt accidentally flame broiled him

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Me walking out of theatre after watching once upon a time in hollywod: “what a weird night stalker movie.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Have people not figured out that Tarantino is an exploitation film director yet? His whole deal is making actual Hollywood movies that are bigger budget exploitation films that aren't quite as gross (with some exceptions like Pulp Fiction).

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Have people not figured out that Tarantino is an exploitation film director yet? His whole deal is making actual Hollywood movies that are bigger budget exploitation films that aren't quite as gross (with some exceptions like Pulp Fiction).

Makes you wonder what historical villain was going to die at the end of The Film Critic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

Makes you wonder what historical villain was going to die at the end of The Film Critic.
I mean obviously Roger Ebert

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

"I give this two thumbs....off!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean obviously Roger Ebert

Didn't Godzilla '96 beat him to it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't Godzilla '96 beat him to it

Godzilla '98. And no, and they even made fun of the movie for including them as characters and not have them get eaten.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Hey listen I didn't watch the rest of the movie and don't know what's going on in this scene but I'm gonna say it just ain't good!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To commiserate a little on opinions that aren't necessarily built on solid bedrock, I once complained on these forums that It Follows seemed pretty dumb after my room mate had it on in the living room while I was playing a PC game.

On the one hand I was rightly ridiculed; on the other hand I still don't like it :colbert:

it's like the ring but about teenagers loving and the impending doom is a physically manifesting but invisible force constantly approaching you at a walking speed??

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 18, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked that OUaTi...H had a Chekhov's Flamethrower

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i guess if you have no idea who the Manson family was or what they did i can see how you might be frustrated at the climax of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Yeah, genuinely it's a fair point that if you don't know anything about the murders or the Manson family then you aren't going to get much out of it. Something that his other movies don't suffer from. I think Tarantino said the same thing in some interview. It's just a "But what if it was a movie?" ending so if you've got no investment in the meta story it's not going to hit. Also it goes both ways that it's less embarrassing/"cringe" if you know that Tex and the rest of the family was supposedly that dumb/edge lordy and really did the "I'm the Devil, and I'm here to do the devil's work" line.

Overall it felt fine. Too long and forgettable but not something I regret seeing.

I read somewhere that there was an original ending that was about him teaming up with Bruce Lee to do a rescue at the Ranch, which sounded way better and would have had a cooler payoff. So even if it was bullshit it hurt it in my mind.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I liked that OUaTi...H had a Chekhov's Flamethrower

I remember the climactic scene better because when I saw it, right as she's getting flamed in the pool some old woman behind me timidly and very sincerely asked her friends "That isn't how it happened....right?" Which made it much better.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah and Tarantino just throwing shade at Polanski by having Booth being an absolute creep and still being like "having sex with a minor? No thanks, I'm not that loving gross"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FlamingLiberal posted:

he exploited me by not showing up to the screening appearance of True Romance because he had to go home and write (regard some feet pictures and jack off)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oh yeah and Tarantino just throwing shade at Polanski by having Booth being an absolute creep and still being like "having sex with a minor? No thanks, I'm not that loving gross"

Seemed like mostly he just didn't want to go to jail (which he must have been pretty paranoid to even worry about, considering)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s not the only shade thrown at Polanski. There’s also Steve McQueen explaining the backstory to Connie Stevens.

quote:

Jay loves Sharon. That's what's up. And he knows, as sure as God made little green apples, that one of these days that Polish prick's gonna gently caress things up and when he does, Jay's gonna be there.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hot take, gently caress the Manson family

Yeah I got annoyed when people were calling that movie reactionary because they were killing “hippies,” like I know that I know probably too much about this stuff but have a little bit of cultural context if you want to have an opinion. At least if you want to have that kind of an opinion anyway.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
who tf is saying that lmao

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan Smithee posted:

who tf is saying that lmao

Aglet56 posted:

The Manson killers are also not very satisfying as victims of hyper violence; unlike nazis or southern slaveowners, it's a lot easier to see them as brainwashed cult members (and thus not really culpable). The nazis and slave owners in their respective movies were also legitimate, serious threats to their protagonists, and in both cases they had scenes where the protagonists were captured and helpless before the tables got turned. Brad Pitt, in contrast, doesn't know who the Manson family is and he just kind of demolishes them without a second thought

Narrator: they were in fact culpable

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The Manson family were just following orders, your honor.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Imagining watching Inglorious Basterds without knowing who this Hitler person is

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

The Manson family were just following orders, your honor.

They were there to do the devils business

thos’t wished to live deliciously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mycot posted:

Imagining watching Inglorious Basterds without knowing who this Hitler person is

Hey, I don't watch reality tv, I don't know the names of all these c-list celebrities now days.