Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Clouseau posted:

I know Schrab directed season 12. The credits for Santa Claus Conquers the Martians credits a Rob Schrad - is it the same guy? Did they typo his name in the credits?

JethroMcB posted:

Old MST wasn't a union show, right? If he was already a WGA member at the time he might have gone with a one-letter-off credit to avoid breaking union rules.

Sorry, I was misspelling it just like it was in the credits! Yes, Rob Schrab was a guest writer and also co-director for season 12.
https://twitter.com/RobSchrab/status/675003707281424385
(The excerpt is from Scud #3 in 1994, I think the dirt on John K. wasn't quite as out there back then.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Wild! I never knew that.

Too bad they didn't take any of his jokes, but I think the season 12 segments looked a bit better than those in 11.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

"John K is my Jesus" :yikes:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Uncle Wemus posted:

it was a different time

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

it was a different time
Makes me think of the Racket Girls host segment.
"Who do you admire more as a father figure, Bill Cosby or Marvin Gay, Sr.?"

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Guns, huh?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

If you only knew about his cartoons and published comments, you’d have a very different idea of what John K was. His victims didn’t come forward until they were adults.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

If you only knew about his cartoons and published comments, you’d have a very different idea of what John K was. His victims didn’t come forward until they were adults.

The tagline of 'shackled genius' for John K. went with him for a long time. The worst thing people thought about him was how slow he was, again as far as people knew. Reference that bit from The Simpsons here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hogama posted:

Santa Claus vs. the Martians has 14 credited writers:

Huh, that's interesting. I wonder if they initially had a bigger writer pool and then trimmed back later on, or if they changed how they report writers, because for instance Final Sacrifice only has:

Michael J. Nelson ... (head writer) &
Paul Chaplin ... (writer) &
Bill Corbett ... (writer) &
Bridget Jones ... (writer) &
Kevin Murphy ... (writer) &
Mary Jo Pehl ... (writer)

E:

Dawgstar posted:

The tagline of 'shackled genius' for John K. went with him for a long time. The worst thing people thought about him was how slow he was, again as far as people knew. Reference that bit from The Simpsons here.

Yeah, I definitely cringed visibly when I saw that "John K. is my god" line, but then I remembered that in the 90s he was just largely viewed as a daring new outsider doing cool and weird animation stuff. In fact his reputation was probably at its highest point in the mid to late 90s because he'd been fired from Ren & Stimpy for being TOO REAL and hadn't yet done that loving awful revival show (which kinda showed that the firing had probably been for good reasons), or been revealed as a sexual predator and possible paedophile.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 19, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I put the. Beats in my own. Script and I'm sticking. With them!

E: holy poo poo, I thought one of the princess' bodyguards in Deathstalker looked familiar, and he's the teacher guy from Pumaman.

E2:

"I just heard an eagle meow!"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 19, 2024

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m a wood sprite. Tee hee.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I put the. Beats in my own. Script and I'm sticking. With them!

E: holy poo poo, I thought one of the princess' bodyguards in Deathstalker looked familiar, and he's the teacher guy from Pumaman.

E2:

"I just heard an eagle meow!"

Miguel Angel Fuentes was in quite a few movies. Also he passed away late last year.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

muscles like this! posted:

Miguel Angel Fuentes was in quite a few movies. Also he passed away late last year.

He's also in Rifftrax's classic The Bermuda Triangle which, if you haven't seen it, woof!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Man, I love A Day at the Fair

"Every year, the fairground becomes a place of activity."
"...and romance! And intrigue!"

"It's the GIRL CORPS! One hundred magnificently-trained GIRLS!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Women are excited by seeing the word 'member!'"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Hey, you're not my dad! You're Hitler!"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sometimes something is just so obscure I have to pause it to lol.

Tormented, the guy is looking through binoculars out into the ocean:
*distant voice* "Spalding! Spalding, old man!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They make a couple of Spalding Gray jokes over the course of the series.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

JethroMcB posted:

Man, I love A Day at the Fair

"Every year, the fairground becomes a place of activity."
"...and romance! And intrigue!"

"It's the GIRL CORPS! One hundred magnificently-trained GIRLS!"

Admiral Halsey joins the fun!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Sash! posted:

Admiral Halsey joins the fun!

THE FAMILY OF SHAME

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Wonder what it would be like to fly it?"
Over Cambodia, secretly maintaining plausible deniability!

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

zoux posted:

They make a couple of Spalding Gray jokes over the course of the series.

Do tell! I used to watch Monster in a Box and Terrors of Pleasure over and over again as a kid, but I don't remember catching any references in MST3K.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Freemason Rush Week posted:

Do tell! I used to watch Monster in a Box and Terrors of Pleasure over and over again as a kid, but I don't remember catching any references in MST3K.

One's in The Castle of Fu Manchu and went right over my head for years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The cheating short has so many great riffs in it.

By the way, have you seen my ribcage?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I get why they would want to do The Phantom Creeps but the film quality is so bad that it is basically unwatchable. Also really bizarre that one of the Radar Men shorts just ends suddenly with a "film broke" screen.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Village of the Giants feels incredibly sleezy in some way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I get why they would want to do The Phantom Creeps but the film quality is so bad that it is basically unwatchable. Also really bizarre that one of the Radar Men shorts just ends suddenly with a "film broke" screen.

Essentially they got tired of doing the Radar Men serials, realizing that so much of it was them saying the same riffs over and over, so they went with the rest of it "breaking" as a way out. It's also why other riffs of serials only went two or three episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Angry_Ed posted:

Essentially they got tired of doing the Radar Men serials, realizing that so much of it was them saying the same riffs over and over, so they went with the rest of it "breaking" as a way out. It's also why other riffs of serials only went two or three episodes.

I assumed it was just an actual dud master, but that doesn't surprise me. The Twitch channel marathoned just the Radar Men shorts back-to-back a bit back, and you could tell they were done by the last one.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How many more Radar Man shorts were there after the point MST3K stopped covering them?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

How many more Radar Man shorts were there after the point MST3K stopped covering them?
The rest of the one that "broke" and then three more, though the one that directly followed was a recap chapter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Village of the Giants feels incredibly sleezy in some way.

Right? There are much greasier and nastier movies on MST3K but Giants feels really gross in a way I can't quite pin down. Maybe because it feels like a kids' movie but is weirdly horny.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Rifftrax did the full-length movie edit of the Phantom Creeps serial and the only things you're missing out on is some old-timey "dark heart of Africa" racism and different male characters being sexist towards the female reporter. Even Rifftrax can't save it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Larryb posted:

There were 12 total. I remember seeing a DVD of the whole series way back in the early days of DVDs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HopperUK posted:

Right? There are much greasier and nastier movies on MST3K but Giants feels really gross in a way I can't quite pin down. Maybe because it feels like a kids' movie but is weirdly horny.

Ol' Bert didn't really get the 60's. It is up there as one of the most horniest movies they ever did and no doubt awakened something in somebody.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hogama posted:

The rest of the one that "broke" and then three more, though the one that directly followed was a recap chapter.

I feel like seeing that the next one being a recap was what finally made them baulk at the idea and said no to more Commander Cody.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like seeing that the next one being a recap was what finally made them baulk at the idea and said no to more Commander Cody.

Also the rest of the movies were long enough to not need a short to pad the running time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

HopperUK posted:

Yeah, I don't know what it is. Like you say, objectively for its content it shouldn't be probably even in the top 10 of MST3K sleaze but something about the movie is just ... uughhh.

Hey, it's Prince of Space!

"A ruffaru, a baowhawao"
"AFTER THAT DOG!"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Village of the Giants is a teen exploitation movie. Of course it's going to be horny.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Jose Oquendo posted:

Village of the Giants is a teen exploitation movie. Of course it's going to be horny.

Being horny does not automatically mean being sleazy and creepy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Twitch Channel got struck again. Apparently the best guess to why is a short had a bare baby's butt and got reported.