Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Yikes all heavy hitters. Think Rum Fire would be a good substitute?

can confirm it is

have also done it with this unaged Jamaican stuff i have literally just called "The Funk" and it's awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cincinnati area $77 state controlled price, had about ten bottles of green and six bottles of yellow.

First time trying it... I like it. Probably will never buy another bottle if it cost $97 though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Human Tornada posted:

Cincinnati area $77 state controlled price, had about ten bottles of green and six bottles of yellow.

First time trying it... I like it. Probably will never buy another bottle if it cost $97 though.

You uh, got a location on that? Jungle Jim's perchance?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
The Wine List in West Chester. You can use the Ohio liquor control website ohlq.com to check availability for any store/bottle in the state.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Human Tornada posted:

The Wine List in West Chester. You can use the Ohio liquor control website ohlq.com to check availability for any store/bottle in the state.

Thanks. I've found the ohlq site to be frequently wrong so I prefer asking.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I bought a bottle for $60 last week. Guess I should have bought the other two they had too

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
8 days waiting time for Élixir Végétal, but the other two are out of stock for mystery amounts of time. Worth getting or tough it out? I’ve heard it’s intense which is fine, but apparently kinda bleh for mixing with?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's interesting it's going up in price retail because they swore it wouldn't see a price jump for on premise wholesale

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I should go see if the italian deli/cheese shop by me still has those 4-5 dusty bottles sitting on a bottom-corner shelf for $59.99/ea

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Michigan’s Chartreuse state minimum went from $65 to $84 this month.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

can confirm it is

have also done it with this unaged Jamaican stuff i have literally just called "The Funk" and it's awesome

Sweet. I will make this tonight.

My local store was selling the funk for supercheap. They were selling a 750 mL bottle for $10. I looked it up again and it looks like the store probably got it on clearance because they were changing the bottle shape.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Corb3t posted:

Michigan’s Chartreuse state minimum went from $65 to $84 this month.

I have yet to see chartreuse available in my area over the last year.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Was loving around with leftover stuff in my fridge and bar and find a nice combination - umeshu, gin, and averna with a splash of soda water.

Apparently averna and umeshu with rye is a "Geisha Manhattan"? Although that sounds more like a Japanese Boulevardier, maybe a "Tokyo Drift"?

Alucard fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 19, 2024

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

obi_ant posted:

Sweet. I will make this tonight.

My local store was selling the funk for supercheap. They were selling a 750 mL bottle for $10. I looked it up again and it looks like the store probably got it on clearance because they were changing the bottle shape.

lol that's what happened to me but it was like a year ago, I think it was $12.99 or something crazy

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

1 oz Wray & Nephew
.75 oz Green Chartreuse
.25 oz Velvet Falernum
.75 oz lime

Shake. Surprisingly pleasant and complex for rocket fuel.

Good poo poo :tipshat: Don't think I'm going to be able to nurse my bottle of green for very long after this

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lol that's what happened to me but it was like a year ago, I think it was $12.99 or something crazy

K&L?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

nah some place in upstate NY where my wife's family lives

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just made the Nuclear Daiquiri. Very good. I would probably up the Chartreuse by 1/4 or 1/2.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Just made the Nuclear Daiquiri. Very good. I would probably up the Chartreuse by 1/4 or 1/2.

Enough of that talk and you find yourself just drinking chartreuse straight!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Yeah like any daiquiri you gotta tweak the ratio until you find yours. Think it might be worth trying with an agricole instead of the Wray & Nephew too.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Carillon posted:

Both green and yellow are great on an ice cube after dinner.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm gonna give the "guy surrounded by swords" meme opinion, I made a nuke tonight too and I felt the Chartreuse almost entirely overpowered both the falernum and the rum funk

gonna try tomorrow with maybe 2/3oz instead of 3/4 of the green stuff

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

I primarily drink it neat as that is how it was introduced to me. Nowadays I tend to lean towards drinking it with a small cube of ice, it’s simply too hot. The VEP 100% needs one small cube.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

first time I drank chartreuse straight was also the only time I've ever blacked out so it's tough to give that another shot lol (in its defense there was also copious amounts of arak going around)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The telltale gurk-gurk-gurk of the first pour coming out of a Chartreuse bottle is some new luxury-style ASMR

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey for once the OHLQ didn't lie to me and I found a Chartreuse locally. Score.

There were two bottles, I only bought one because I am saintly and generous of spirit. Giving to my fellow man. Everyone should be super impressed with my selflessness.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I’ve found if you reverse the lemon and orange specs in the original Fogg Cutter it’s actually a good drink. Other fine tuning of adding 1/4oz simple and swapping the brandy for Pisco pretty much make this a polished recipe, kind of like a clear spirit version of a Mai Tai but with lemon instead of lime and orange juice instead of orange liqueur.

Edit: This was meant to be in response to the guy asking for high octane drinks that don’t suck due to it having 3.5oz of spirits and a sherry float. I forgot to quote him though because I’ve been drinking Foggy Cutters

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 20, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just made a double Jungle Bird and it's delightful. Might want to knock the demerara syrup down to .75 to be honest. Funk shines, but is not overpowering. Some weird chocolate notes at the end too. *Super* fruit forward and sweet. Would not mind drinking this on a beach.

2oz Appleton 15
2oz Smith & Cross
1.5oz St. Agrestis Inferno Bitter
3oz Pineapple juice
.50oz Fresh lime juice
.50oz Leopold Sour Lime Cordial
1oz demerara syrup

I think going forward, I'm going to split the lime juice and the lime cordial 50/50.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tonedef131 posted:

I’ve found if you reverse the lemon and orange specs in the original Fogg Cutter it’s actually a good drink. Other fine tuning of adding 1/4oz simple and swapping the brandy for Pisco pretty much make this a polished recipe, kind of like a clear spirit version of a Mai Tai but with lemon instead of lime and orange juice instead of orange liqueur.

Edit: This was meant to be in response to the guy asking for high octane drinks that don’t suck due to it having 3.5oz of spirits and a sherry float. I forgot to quote him though because I’ve been drinking Foggy Cutters

I actually like the fogg cutter just the way it is. Still am yet to make a Fog Cutter, though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey for once the OHLQ didn't lie to me and I found a Chartreuse locally. Score.

There were two bottles, I only bought one because I am saintly and generous of spirit. Giving to my fellow man. Everyone should be super impressed with my selflessness.

We are going to get away from Thunder for a night (because we moved next door to the local general aviation field) to Cinci, so if you want to drop where you found that one my fiancée would be appreciative.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

We are going to get away from Thunder for a night (because we moved next door to the local general aviation field) to Cinci, so if you want to drop where you found that one my fiancée would be appreciative.

The Wine List in West Chester was the Cincinnati-area one confirmed to have some, I didn't go there. OHLQ has a few other places in Cincinnati that claim to have supply. I got mine at Centerville Liquor and Wine.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looking at margarita recipes and a lot of them call for agave nectar. What kind of sugar syrup should I sub there? Is a double syrup the same sugar level as agave nectar?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Agave nectar is sweeter than 1:1 simple.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

If you have agave and want to make a Tommy's marg, great - but why sub for agave when you could make a traditional marg with orange liqueur?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Looking at margarita recipes and a lot of them call for agave nectar. What kind of sugar syrup should I sub there? Is a double syrup the same sugar level as agave nectar?

A traditional margarita does not use agave nectar. I make mine 2 oz tequila, 3/4 dry curacao, 3/4 lime, pinch of salt in the shaker. Sometimes I add just a touch of simple syrup (like a barspoon). Tommy's margarita is pretty different, it's more of a tequila daiquiri and you'll need agave nectar for that.

If I were substituting I'd use honey instead of simple, it's a lot closer to the agave nectar flavor.

A lot of margarita recipes are very sweet because standard restaurant cocktails tend to be way unbalanced in the sweet direction. It sounds like you haven't made margaritas at home before, so my suggestion is make it the traditional way and then adjust to your preference. If you like a sweet-rear end margarita go for it but don't start there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wanted to try this and don’t like sweet drinks so I’m not buying agave syrup to put 1/4oz in a drink. Honey’s an interesting idea, I just don’t want to swap something in and have it be over sweet.

https://punchdrink.com/recipes/christine-wisemans-margarita/

TengenNewsEditor posted:

If you have agave and want to make a Tommy's marg, great - but why sub for agave when you could make a traditional marg with orange liqueur?

Tommy’s is my normal go to, although normally in the 4:2:1 spec I go a little lighter on the sweetener.

Despite having cointreau, gran marnier, dry curaçao and numerous other cheaper orange liqueurs I’ve never made a margarita at home with them that I liked.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 23, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Alternately, sub out the tequila with rum and make something yummy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Despite having cointreau, gran marnier, dry curaçao and numerous other cheaper orange liqueurs I’ve never made a margarita at home with them that I liked.

Have you tried a toreador? I've been into those a bit lately, uses apricot liqueur instead of orange.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Waltzing Along posted:

Alternately, sub out the tequila with rum and make something yummy.
I think Greg's advice that anyone who likes Margaritas will probably enjoy a Paloma even more is pretty spot on for me at least.

Speaking of Greg his Perk-a-Cola episode inspired me to buy some Everclear to make Ginger Extra and solve my Ginger Syrup problems forever, but I only need 8oz for it. What other cool things can I do with Everclear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
See how fast you can get blackout drunk.