Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I've only ever seen the first four Scream movies and was thinking of watching five and six but somehow I've lost all interest.

they’re not good but they’re watchable. you’re probably fine to skip, especially now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

weekly font posted:

I completely, unironically think Quibi was ahead of its time

Yeah, it'll be the hottest thing with the youths just as soon as the Fenris-wolf eats the sun and plunges the world into Fimbulwinter.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah, it'll be the hottest thing with the youths just as soon as the Fenris-wolf eats the sun and plunges the world into Fimbulwinter.

Hey I still wouldn’t watch it and bite sized isn’t the format for serious stories but I think if they went for creepypasta stuff or animation it had a shot with the people who are growing up as ipad babies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Immaculate Was Okay

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JE-aDHGyes

new M. Night

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1780782836511035751

Scream cast solidarity

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
definitely seeing Abigail after I catch the new Alice Rohrwacher (loved Happy as Lazzaro). I mean what am I gonna do watch a new Guy Ritchie movie?? Civil War??? The loving Ghostbusters? Godzilla x Kong?? Yeah I'll take the vampire ballerina. Maybe one day she'll fight M3gan.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Punkin Spunkin posted:

definitely seeing Abigail after I catch the new Alice Rohrwacher (loved Happy as Lazzaro). I mean what am I gonna do watch a new Guy Ritchie movie?? Civil War??? The loving Ghostbusters? Godzilla x Kong?? Yeah I'll take the vampire ballerina. Maybe one day she'll fight M3gan.

ive already seen those other 4 (well I got tickets for the Guy Ritchie one on Friday) so I guess I'll go see Abigail.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dorium posted:

ive already seen those other 4 (well I got tickets for the Guy Ritchie one on Friday) so I guess I'll go see Abigail.
How is the League of Ungentlemanly Warring Gentlemen or whatever? I actually thought his Jake G Afghanistan movie was OK if incredibly bland, I just can't stand Comedy Ritchie anymore, thought that one with Matthew McConaughey selling weed was aggressively bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How is the League of Ungentlemanly Warring Gentlemen or whatever? I actually thought his Jake G Afghanistan movie was OK if incredibly bland, I just can't stand Comedy Ritchie anymore, thought that one with Matthew McConaughey selling weed was aggressively bad.

I'll know more on Friday, but honestly I havent been too impressed with him either lately. Even Wrath of Man while having some really cool action set pieces was bogged down by a flat script and too long of a runtime. This new one at least has a cast I like and Ritchie cooks when he has a band of chuckle heads throwing snappy dialogue at each other and is filled with over the top comic violence. So I've got some hope this new one will float my boat.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Saw Abigail last night at a critics screening and thought it was really fun. BUCKETS of blood and gore, some actually funny humor, and there's more to the plot than the trailer that seemingly spoiled it all. I don't think it was anything groundbreaking, but it was enjoyable, total B or B+ movie horror movie. I'll be interested to see some discussion in the future on if the studio hosed with the movie a little bit before release. There's just a couple things that screamed 'studio interference' to me (including a lot of the blood and gore being desaturated or color-shifted to brown-ish for some of the more ridiculous scenes) that make me think maybe the studio or the MPAA made them pull back a little bit. But it does still have some bitchin' gore, some really fun performances, a handful of funny moments, and a little girl ballerina vampire. It was a good time!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

this could be good but is not at all what I thought it'd be based on the synopsis; I'll spoiler it just in case there's a twist that makes that more accurate

"A man and his daughter attend a pop concert where they realize they’re at the center of a dark and sinister event."

based on this, I kinda thought the premise was that the pop star was evil and was going to sacrifice the audience during the concert as part of an occult ritual, or something to that effect

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry Convex posted:

this could be good but is not at all what I thought it'd be based on the synopsis; I'll spoiler it just in case there's a twist that makes that more accurate

"A man and his daughter attend a pop concert where they realize they’re at the center of a dark and sinister event."

based on this, I kinda thought the premise was that the pop star was evil and was going to sacrifice the audience during the concert as part of an occult ritual, or something to that effect

yeah that was a good swerve based on the trailer and even then the trailer I think is another swerve. I have a theory about what's actually going on in this movie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
We are truly blessed to be living in a time where we get to watch the televison Chucky series. Chorostecki has been such a vibe this season.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Rip Sawa, again, lol. I was hoping he stick around just a tad bit longer but I guess we'll see his ghost now with everything going full blown paranormal.

lmao they did me one better

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

They were really building something too with 5 and 6, which is what makes their decision even more baffling. It was totally in their self-interest to support Barrera, but they just really really wanted to step on that rake.

Yeah it’s pretty rare for a franchisee to be building up a whole new generation of the story with connections to the past. And I thought they were doing a decent job. The films felt like they were doing something instead of just being another cash grab repeat. But now they flushed it and I dunno. I’m still such a massive fan of Craven and the franchise that I’ll probably watch the new one but at best we’re back to square one of “what’s the point?” Plus with the baggage of bad real life poo poo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was going to say the twist is pretty obvious but then they went and did it in the trailer so that's a good sign. And hey, Josh Hartnet doing stuff, good for him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M Night never gives twists away early, let alone in trailers, so good on him for having a red herring there. And yeah the synopsis is very different/different enough from what's seen there that something's obviously up

Trailer looks great from the fake-twist on. Here's to hoping it's better than Old

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Good to see

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1781023682053407212

quote:

Several “Scream” actors, including Mason Gooding, David Arquette, Matthew Lillard and Skeet Ulrich, attended the Los Angeles premiere of Barrera’s new horror movie, “Abigail” Wednesday night. “Abigail” is helmed by “Scream” (2022) and “Scream 6” co-directors Matt Bettinelli-Olpin and Tyler Gillett, known collectively as Radio Silence.

“Even after the project is over, we still have our chat,” Barrera told me. “They were all invited here and a lot of them from ‘Scream’ came and I think it says a lot. It says a lot about how true the love is. No one can ever take that away from us.”

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Chris James 2 posted:

M Night never gives twists away early, let alone in trailers, so good on him for having a red herring there. And yeah the synopsis is very different/different enough from what's seen there that something's obviously up

Trailer looks great from the fake-twist on. Here's to hoping it's better than Old

I don't think there necessarily has to be any other major twist. It's a premise with enough to it to just be a tense thriller without needing much more complications and Shyamalan doesn't always have those massive premise recontextualizing twists nowadays.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I really enjoyed Late Night with the Devil. Loved the style and shooting it in different formats. The gross outs and scares were solid. It was pretty good fun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Doltos posted:

I really enjoyed Late Night with the Devil. Loved the style and shooting it in different formats. The gross outs and scares were solid. It was pretty good fun.

Just finished watching it, and I second all of this. David Dastmalchian owns.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If you aren't watching the Chucky TV show you really should be.

Chucky is manipulating the President's son by pretending to be the spirit of his dead baby brother. And why is he doing that? Because he's dying and, after a failed ritual sacrifice at the Amityville House, decided that the White House is actually the house with the most murders directly related to it.

It rules and this last episode REALLY upped the craziness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gently caress Santa!!!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/jonstewart/status/1781000465821401391

This cracked me up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Honestly I am actually interested in this. The trailer looks good.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I actually quite enjoy Shymalan's later career embrace of schlock. He had to stumble a few times (a few too many times probably) to disabuse himself of the notion he's a genius auteur, now he just makes fun nonsense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Abigail: a very fun little B-movie! Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a good time, very obviously Raimi-inspired.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shyamalan has always had Spielbergs eye for directing the hell out of a thing, he crafts suspense just with framing. The early-career comparisons were well-earned. The problem is he got high on his own supply for like a decade and once he started adapting the (much better) writing of others (Old, Knock at the Cabin) he finally flourished.

Don't love that he wrote this, it is very clear that the dad being a killer is NOT the twist, just like The Village there's gonna be a dumb second twist

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Abigail: a very fun little B-movie! Nothing groundbreaking, but it's a good time, very obviously Raimi-inspired.

Raimicore??? I’m loving in

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It seemed to me like Shyamalan freaked out after the failure of Lady in the Water and The Happening, and made his situation worse by going for more traditional blockbusters(Last Airbender, After Earth) in response. He was like ok my personal brand has taken a hit, let me sign on to direct some big movies based on established commodities so I can get myself back on the horse again. And it backfired so then he was really at rock bottom.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Basebf555 posted:

It seemed to me like Shyamalan freaked out after the failure of Lady in the Water and The Happening, and made his situation worse by going for more traditional blockbusters(Last Airbender, After Earth) in response. He was like ok my personal brand has taken a hit, let me sign on to direct some big movies based on established commodities so I can get myself back on the horse again. And it backfired so then he was really at rock bottom.

and directors need that sometimes.

Tarantino could really use a knocking down.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nah. Tarantino rocks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

nah. Tarantino rocks.

he can kick rocks. i really hate this stupid 10 movie thing I hope this creative crippling teaches him a lesson of humility. the movies are great, but the man is a bag of turd.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

he can kick rocks. i really hate this stupid 10 movie thing I hope this creative crippling teaches him a lesson of humility. the movies are great, but the man is a bag of turd.

I mean sure but if someone wants to be done making movies I don’t begrudge them. I don’t think I’ll be looking back at his films and think, oh man what a waste of potential.

Whereas M. Night was definitely heading that way but I feel like he has really found a nice later career groove

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shrecknet posted:

Shyamalan has always had Spielbergs eye for directing the hell out of a thing, he crafts suspense just with framing. The early-career comparisons were well-earned.

Yeah, like the dumbest Shyamalan flicks still look and are shot gorgeously. Knock at the Cabin was fantastic for what was practically a bottle show.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

WeaponX posted:

I mean sure but if someone wants to be done making movies I don’t begrudge them. I don’t think I’ll be looking back at his films and think, oh man what a waste of potential.

Whereas M. Night was definitely heading that way but I feel like he has really found a nice later career groove
I think its more the inference that directors who have gone past that or have "blemished" their runs with bad movies arent perfect or arent smart enough to know when to get out. It would be more fair and more true to say its harder to get budgets, attention and time as an aging filmmaker than it is to say "this arbitrary line is perfection and I've achieved it".

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also his whole thing about "I'll only ever direct 10 movies" is predicated on how he maintains Kill Bill 1 and 2 aren't seperate movies, and I refuse to dignify that stupidity by going along with it. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Doesn’t matter to me one bit

Also who cares if he only makes 10 movies. He’s right a lot of classic directors start turning in garbage movies late in their career. So it’s fine. He’ll make tv shows and books and that’ll be cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spielberg wants to make movies but I don’t think it’s unfair to say his output has been bad to mid as of late. Even tho I did love the fablemans.

Ready Player One felt like a film by some hack journeyman than a film from one of cinemas greats

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, like the dumbest Shyamalan flicks still look and are shot gorgeously. Knock at the Cabin was fantastic for what was practically a bottle show.

I know he's trying to avoid the twist stereotype but that movie just explained what was happening, it happened, and then it was over. There should have been at least a little doubt that Batista and his group was lying about the apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I like auteur perfectionists but I also really admire the more blue collar directors in that John Ford tradition where you just keep pumping out movies and then you look at their filmography and it's like goddamn this guy made 100 films in 40 years!

So that's why I don't begrudge someone like Ridley Scott for continuing to make movies that maybe aren't always great. It feels like a connection to a past era in Hollywood that probably goes extinct once Ridley's generation is done, which is mostly already the case because Ridley is one of the last left.