Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Highbrow Slick posted:

There’s a planet earth kill screen coming up if anyone wants to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I thought Syria was shooting down the Iranian drones that were heading toward Israel? Why the gently caress is Israel attacking them

Attacking Iran-housing bases in Syria from the looks of it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

Israel really trying hard to make itself a complete rogue state like NK at this point huh?

They have been for decades, its amazing what you can get away with if America supports you no matter what you do.

I wonder how trunts sanity is going to go today?
is it another day of being told to his face that reality is not his best m8?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Because it's full of Americans and it once elected Donald Trump as president. There's other reasons but need I go on?

Yeah I'm pretty neutral about Harlem, although they did come up with that stupid internet trend back in the 10s and their basketball team are famously huge cheaters.

that wasn't from harlem. in fact there already was a previous harlem shake. APPROPRIATION!!!!

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Frank Frank posted:

Fallout 3 was set in DC and as Bethesda is/was located in Bethesda, the geography is pretty accurate. Anyway, when I found the red line metro I followed it to the end and got off. Lo and behold I was able to find the town I live in. It was completely overrun with super mutants so I have that to look forward to I guess

It’s also the first game that gave me anxiety. I played through it in 2016 and playing through the part with the school and all the charred kids while my kids were super small (1&3) while trump was provoking North Korea. Had to take a break.

Glad that kind of threat in the world is o… what now? Oh ffs.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lollin' that Iran is the Calm Cool Collected Head in all this, unironically.
israel is a loving rogue state and Iran's responses have been measured and, if anything, remarkably restrained.

Bibi is almost as dumb as trump, and hates democracy just as much1!!!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SRQ posted:

lollin' that Iran is the Calm Cool Collected Head in all this, unironically.
israel is a loving rogue state and Iran's responses have been measured and, if anything, remarkably restrained.

Bibi is almost as dumb as trump, and hates democracy just as much1!!!

Eh, I wouldn't say that about Iran, considering their planned face-saving counterattack involved routing their attacks through territory they did not own and did not appreciate it. It even made Iran look bad because they screamed "DON'T YOU DARE SHOOT DOWN OUR ATTACK" and then everyone shot down the missiles and drones.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm not sure how Iran would attack Israel without passing through non-sovereign airspace

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not sure how Iran would attack Israel without passing through non-sovereign airspace

Do you mean sovereign airspace? That's kinda my point, yes.

But even more so because at least two of the territories in the way are either close allies or close enough and that would have gotten them into Israel. Hell, they launched attacks FROM countries directly surrounding Israel with no one else in the way. But they still apparently decided to go through Jordan and Saudi Arabia anyways.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sorry, I meant either "non-Iranian" or "sovereign" and smushed the two together but yeah you get what I mean.

Well, now Iran knows that Saudi won't co-operate with letting the US into their airspace during such attacks, at least for the time being. Seems like the major goal of the Iranian attack was evaluating the level of support/involvement from Israel allies and notionally-unaligned actors in the area. I really struggle to understand how it could be seen as anything but a success for Iran

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I thought Syria was shooting down the Iranian drones that were heading toward Israel? Why the gently caress is Israel attacking them

Where did you read that? BBC and AP report the opposite.

quote:

At least nine countries were involved in the military escalation - with projectiles fired from Iran, Iraq, Syria and Yemen and downed by Israel, the US, the UK and Jordan.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-68811273

quote:

Britain-based war monitor the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported that Syrian air defenses tried to shoot down Israeli attempts to intercept Iranian missiles.

https://apnews.com/article/strait-of-hormuz-vessel-33fcffde2d867380e98c89403776a8ac

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drones were destroyed over Syria, but not by Syria, so I could see the confusion.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sorry, I meant either "non-Iranian" or "sovereign" and smushed the two together but yeah you get what I mean.

Well, now Iran knows that Saudi won't co-operate with letting the US into their airspace during such attacks, at least for the time being. Seems like the major goal of the Iranian attack was evaluating the level of support/involvement from Israel allies and notionally-unaligned actors in the area. I really struggle to understand how it could be seen as anything but a success for Iran

How was it a success? Saudi Arabia and Jordan cooperated with shooting down the drones and missiles. Iraq publicly made angry noises that Iran was launching attacks from (not over, from) Iraqi territory. At best they got was Saudi Arabia trying to go "We shot it down but it was automatically with our super-good AA. We didn't send Saudi fighters, like people said they saw".

Unless you mean discovering that everyone they didn't own in the area was actually willing to side with Israel of all people over them was a success. Or that people were willing to disregard their DON't YOU SHOOT DOWN OUR ATTACKS AS THEY FLY OVER YOU warning.

Yeah this is correct. Syria took part in the attacks and tried to help stop the interception.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 19, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Strong Sauce posted:

that wasn't from harlem. in fact there already was a previous harlem shake. APPROPRIATION!!!!

yes it was also the Indy rock band the world should have embraced in 2009 but only I seemed to know or care about them

https://youtu.be/VHZIGUJwYik?si=tzenmh1NcS2TuBNG

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

also big lol that the rules committee is working to push the aid bill through
the gop is hilariously weak to enact their agenda lol

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
From the sound of it, the region came together to stop the Iran attack, through passing along intel and aiding directly. Iran had sent info on the attack to countries that they would be passing through so as to let them know not to shoot down the missiles, and they sent this info to the US and Jordan and Saudi Arabia shot down the missiles themselves.

It makes me not quite buy that this was purely a face-saving move with no intention of doing anything, because they seem intent on getting it through, everyone just worked against it and made it come off as a nothing attack.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kchama posted:

How was it a success? Saudi Arabia and Jordan cooperated with shooting down the drones and missiles. Iraq publicly made angry noises that Iran was launching attacks from (not over, from) Iraqi territory. At best they got was Saudi Arabia trying to go "We shot it down but it was automatically with our super-good AA. We didn't send Saudi fighters, like people said they saw".

Unless you mean discovering that everyone they didn't own in the area was actually willing to side with Israel of all people over them was a success.

Pretty much, yeah.

Iran used up a couple of hundred pieces of ordnance, much of which was relatively inexpensive, and announced their intentions far enough in advance that every other actor in the region could respond with premeditation.

The result is Iran now has a clear map of how everyone in the area will be responding to a much larger attack, and the precise composition of the various overlapping missile defense systems. It's wargaming with real world evidence, and reminds everyone nearby that they are willing and able to engage directly as well as through their proxies.

Fair enough if you don't agree any of that is worthwhile, but it seems pretty clearly to be the way they're thinking.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Iran used up a couple of hundred pieces of ordnance, much of which was relatively inexpensive, and announced their intentions far enough in advance that every other actor in the region could respond with premeditation.

The result is Iran now has a clear map of how everyone in the area will be responding to a much larger attack, and the precise composition of the various overlapping missile defense systems. It's wargaming with real world evidence, and reminds everyone nearby that they are willing and able to engage directly as well as through their proxies.

Fair enough if you don't agree any of that is worthwhile, but it seems pretty clearly to be the way they're thinking.

That uh, definitely sounds like "victory wine" after finding out that everyone hates you more than Israel of all people, even people you thought you owned like Iraq. Doesn't seem like a wise, restrained move to piss everyone off to the point that they collaborated with Israel and the US to stop you.

Like it was definitely not intended that everyone would get together to shoot down the missiles. And that was not an insignificant amount of their munitions stocks, either. It's more than the vast majority of missile and drone launches Russia unleashes on Ukraine and they're actually at war! And 99% of it was shot down.

I guess finding out that your position isn't nearly as good as you thought it was and your missiles and drones are going to need to be launched in much larger numbers is a huge success.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kchama posted:

That uh, definitely sounds like "victory wine" after finding out that everyone hates you more than Israel of all people, even people you thought you owned like Iraq. Doesn't seem like a wise, restrained move to piss everyone off to the point that they collaborated with Israel and the US to stop you.

Like it was definitely not intended that everyone would get together to shoot down the missiles. And that was not an insignificant amount of their munitions stocks, either. It's more than the vast majority of missile and drone launches Russia unleashes on Ukraine and they're actually at war! And 99% of it was shot down.

I guess finding out that your position isn't nearly as good as you thought it was and your missiles and drones are going to need to be launched in much larger numbers is a huge success.

Israel has the iron dome and allies operating in the area, not to mention the distance drones have to traverse. None of these things would have been surprises. My feeling is that they probably did want to cause more damage, but still understood that the vast majority of attacks would fail.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

Israel has the iron dome and allies operating in the area, not to mention the distance drones have to traverse. None of these things would have been surprises. My feeling is that they probably did want to cause more damage, but still understood that the vast majority of attacks would fail.

Yeah but I was talking about the people who WEREN'T Israel's allies stopping the a lot of the missiles before they even got to Israel despite Iran thinking them friendly enough to send all of their plans to them (who promptly passed them to Israel).

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

“Unrest in the Middle East” has never been “breaking news”.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Disco Pope posted:

I'm still hoping that they deliberatly had small scale attack they knew would fail. They have gotten "revenge" for the Israeli bombing of their diplomats. Israel responds with an even less dangerous attack on Iran where they still can say they got "revenge" while not being of a scale that Iran feels it needs to respond back

Biden being very opposed to a retaliation and escalation I think has tempered the war hawks in the Israeli government for a little while at least

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kchama posted:

What does the bolded mean? They shot down a higher percentage of Iranian munitions than Ukraine does Russian attacks? Or that more munitions were fired by Iran in an afternoon than by Russia over the course of their war?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Anders posted:

I'm still hoping that they deliberatly had small scale attack they knew would fail. They have gotten "revenge" for the Israeli bombing of their diplomats. Israel responds with an even less dangerous attack on Iran where they still can say they got "revenge" while not being of a scale that Iran feels it needs to respond back

Biden being very opposed to a retaliation and escalation I think has tempered the war hawks in the Israeli government for a little while at least

Agreed, and this could be copium on my part (and the position a lot of analysts seem to be taking, so far) but both attacks seem to be face-saving demonstrations of what each could do, with Israels most recent response seeming to say "nice nuclear facility, shame if something happened to it" - my concern is pressure from both hawks inside the IRGC and Israel that could escalate things further and also that this is an attempt to bury some heinous poo poo that's about to go down in Raffah.

Anyway, has Trump had any Diet Coke shits yet today?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

What does the bolded mean? They shot down a higher percentage of Iranian munitions than Ukraine does Russian attacks? Or that more munitions were fired by Iran in an afternoon than by Russia over the course of their war?

Sorry, to clarify, Russia regularly sends out waves of missiles and drones (a lot of the drones being the exact same kind that Iran uses) at Ukraine's cities because they're at war. The waves are much smaller than the attack Iran coordinated with multiple countries to unleash at Israel. Like ~50 missiles and drones is pretty typical. Iran sent 300+ missiles and drones.

In both the case of Russia's waves and Iran's attack, the vast majority of the missiles were shot down. 90% is pretty standard for Russia's missiles getting shot down when they try to attack Kyiv. That last 1% always causes a lot of damage, unfortunately.

Disco Pope posted:

Agreed, and this could be copium on my part (and the position a lot of analysts seem to be taking, so far) but both attacks seem to be face-saving demonstrations of what each could do, with Israels most recent response seeming to say "nice nuclear facility, shame if something happened to it" - my concern is pressure from both hawks inside the IRGC and Israel that could escalate things further and also that this is an attempt to bury some heinous poo poo that's about to go down in Raffah.

Anyway, has Trump had any Diet Coke shits yet today?

Iran's response to Israel's counter-counter-counter-counter attack is to go "it was actually internal saboteurs and not Israel, so there's no need for any more attacks from us."

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 19, 2024

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cocaine Bear posted:

It's fairly implausible theorycrafting and basically was speculation.

They're saying they launched more than was launched in Ukraine. This is the same region of Iran that gets blown up whenever it starts trying to do nuclear poo poo.

This needs it's own thread like Ukraine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I notice he’s not late night or early morning Truthing anymore. Did his lawyers finally convince him to shut the gently caress up ahead of this upcoming hearing on the gag order?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

turmp

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

who the gently caress is scraeming "SHUT THE gently caress UP" at my house. show yourself, lawyer. i will never shut up

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's fairly implausible theorycrafting and basically was speculation.

They're saying they launched more than was launched in Ukraine. This is the same region of Iran that gets blown up whenever it starts trying to do nuclear poo poo.

This needs it's own thread like Ukraine.

It was reported that they launched 1% of their total drone stocks at Israel, which is a pretty decent amount in a single attack. Not something you wanna see involved in a 99% interception. I'd assume they have a lot more drones than Russia, but I haven't seen a breakdown of amount of drones vs missiles in the attack. It is why I didn't want to put a specific number on what exactly was used beyond the "they fired 300 things".

Cartoon Man posted:

I notice he’s not late night or early morning Truthing anymore. Did his lawyers finally convince him to shut the gently caress up ahead of this upcoming hearing on the gag order?

I think he got gagged on basically everyone he could scream about related to the trials finally. He was always careful to only go after people not directly covered, at least until now.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Ok well Iran said this wasn't the work of Israel and it was inside infiltrators so it doesn't appear they're looking to retaliate over this

Let's move on and see what lols we get today

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

He's gonna do some rallies this weekend and I guarantee he won't be able to resist

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just sitting here cackling into my covfefe over the previous page where as the bombs are confirmed incoming to US airspace the thread immediately leaps for each other's throats in a Heathcliff style fight cloud over louder/crowder

IT DOESN'T END LIKE THIS YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

an AOL chatroom posted:

Can I just say how funny it is that they are giving Trump a stack of emotional support papers to keep him busy, like how you give a toddler a placemat with a maze and a word search when you go out to a diner.

Also great that for literal generations now, no Trump has figured out how to look busy other than dressing up and sitting at a desk with papers.

What I enjoy is the idea that Trumpworld's inner circle has for decades featured a well-funded, impeccably engineered, carefully constructed team and set of efficient processes dedicated to the all-important goal of "keeping Donald Trump from getting mad"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:perfect:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TremorX posted:

I'm trying to piece together what's going on in the courtroom based on the sketches

LOL very good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Maybe he's actually sleeping....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

redshirt posted:

Maybe he's actually sleeping....?

wonder how frequently he completely crashes into a drooling mess, perhaps could be plotted based on his posting