Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like the only weak link in this show is maybe the stunt work and action directing. The way the armors move around looks like robot cosplay instead of convincing powered suits

because they used actual practical stuff with the same caveats. It feels like an actual suit with limited mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm watching it a second time to see things I missed the first time. The first time I watched, I missed Norm playing that missile command pip boy game while Lucy and Hank were trying to do a book club. But anyway, it seems weird that Hank doesn't notice Moldaver at all when the Vault 32 people show up. Knowing what I know from the rest of the show, that bit doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless he's just so flippant about anything that doesn't involve him that he completely forgot her.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Did he ever meet her prewar?

He was just an assistant to his wife last we saw I thought

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hank the Overseer knows Of Moldaver. It's just when she captures him specifically that he remembers who she is. As far as he knew, she was just the bitch ex-wife's new partner.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 19, 2024

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Considering how much exposition they built up, they really tied up a lot in the final episode without feeling like an info dump.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I'm watching it a second time to see things I missed the first time. The first time I watched, I missed Norm playing that missile command pip boy game while Lucy and Hank were trying to do a book club. But anyway, it seems weird that Hank doesn't notice Moldaver at all when the Vault 32 people show up. Knowing what I know from the rest of the show, that bit doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless he's just so flippant about anything that doesn't involve him that he completely forgot her.

From Hank's side I think it's just about plausible enough that he's never directly encountered her, but Moldaver confidently and correctly assuming that Hank (or any other Vault-Tec operatives who for all she knows are down there too) couldn't possibly recognise either her name or face is a definite 'we need this to happen so the audience can be introduced to the antagonist' moment.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
hank used to pick up barb howard's dry cleaning prior to the war, muldaver was privately financing cold fusion development so there's a very real chance they never interacted professionally. bud's buds were probably chosen for loyalty, since social and business connections would become sorta moot.

there's also a blink and you'll miss it shot in the ending credits of the last episode where a billboard for private cryo chambers is shown. maybe they'll have something to do with house to make him a bit more of a presence in the show, but I think it'll tie in with muldaver and the 'flame mother' nickname.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I feel like the only weak link in this show is maybe the stunt work and action directing. The way the armors move around looks like robot cosplay instead of convincing powered suits

The fight between the knight and the bear early on made me think of Ray Harryhausen, but in a fun way.

The worst "action shot" was definitely the scientist evading that turret. They couldn't even get him to jog away briskly.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Capilarean posted:

The fight between the knight and the bear early on made me think of Ray Harryhausen, but in a fun way.

The worst "action shot" was definitely the scientist evading that turret. They couldn't even get him to jog away briskly.

The turret thing made my wife and I legitimately laugh out loud, I just said the scientist had a high luck Stat lmao

The funniest criticism I have seen from the typical basement dwellers is that Fallout is "woke now" because the show is anti-capitalist.

...Like bro for real? You just figured out that this 20+ years franchise about the horrors of the post apocalypse brought on by mega corporations schemes and extreme fascist American jingoism, to the point that those things still actively hurt the lives of those in the wastes 200 years later, is anti-capitalist?

This poo poo is more obvious than Star Trek, how are people this loving dense?

I imagine that kind of person unironically has a poster of House in their room though.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 19, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I think we can all agree that Dogmeat was the real star of the show

grobbo
May 29, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

The funniest criticism I have seen from the typical basement dwellers is that Fallout is "woke now" because the show is anti-capitalist.

There was an anecdote circulating a couple of months back claiming that Elon Musk randomly showed up onset trying to score himself a cameo and they had to politely tell him no, after which he then showed up again at the premiere...

which becomes funnier in retrospect, given that 1) the show's overarching villains are portrayed specifically as spineless tech nerds and corporation owners with a messiah complex who brag about how they alone can secure humanity's future, while also gushing over pop culture icons who utterly despise them, and 2) the show makes a decent, surprising effort to be trans-inclusive.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

grobbo posted:

There was an anecdote circulating a couple of months back claiming that Elon Musk randomly showed up onset trying to score himself a cameo and they had to politely tell him no, after which he then showed up again at the premiere...

I thought that was cyberpunk? Or did he do it to both? Cos if so that's hilarious.

He definitely showed up to the fallout premier, though. Such great awkward photos.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
No, he apparently tried his luck with Fallout too, if a random internet user is to be trusted:

https://twitter.com/gremlish/status/1766167406819618928

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

grobbo posted:

No, he apparently tried his luck with Fallout too, if a random internet user is to be trusted:

Lmao

Even Todd Howard has a look of disgust, just lmao

Why does this idiot think he would be in the show at all?

Is it because "HE'S A GAMER BRO?!" and also thinks he's just entitled to be in all media

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I am curious to see how Fallout 4's aesthetic looks in New Vegas, as they are noticeably different what with being on different console generations.

Closest you're gonna get until Season 2 is the Fallout 4 New Vegas total conversion mod trailers. Because lol if the mod itself is ever going to release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JanHMbRjNJ8

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Hey, speaking of those faults, if The Ghoul knew about the chest plate fault, and could exploit it so easily, why didn't he waste Maximus easily in Philly, and was just firing like crazy against him?

I know the answer is "main character syndrome", but still.

edit: Maybe he had different bullets in his gun at the time that couldn't pierce that spot. He clearly has different kinds of rounds. Never mind, good enough for me.

He used all his AP in the fight before maximus arrived

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know I wonder if Cooper did go to Bakersfield like he'd suggested to Barb and then he somehow got admitted into Vault 12, making that the reason he's become a ghoul.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

grobbo posted:

It's like having an even less competent Vault-Tec rep showing up.

Much like everything else in this world, Elmo missed the part where the whole theme of the series is about how lovely people like him are.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favourite joke is Dallas Goldworth going "I was playing a generic indian" and Walton goggins interrupting "Your character had depht! He could talk to animals!"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also any line by Matt Berry's characters (human and Mr. Handy). He had some great lines, but even if he didn't, dude could make reading a tax return funny.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Also any line by Matt berry's character. He had some great lines, but even if he didn't, dude could make reading a tax return funny.

He's hilarious as Snip-Snip

What a fantastic casting choice

His joke about "Oh yeah I voiced the robot for housewives and perverts, then they gave me one for some reason!" Was pretty great

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TulliusCicero posted:

Lmao

Even Todd Howard has a look of disgust, just lmao

Why does this idiot think he would be in the show at all?

Is it because "HE'S A GAMER BRO?!" and also thinks he's just entitled to be in all media

More or less. For a brief period, people thought of Musk as a real-life Tony Stark. (He was even in Iron Man 2 in a bit which did not age well.) HE SHOT A CAR TO MARS WHOOO and so on and Elon bought into it hard. Then all his shuttles kept exploding, he proved on Twitter why in all his previous partnerships people ditched him as soon as possible and he made a car to rival that of Homer Simpson's own design.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

grobbo posted:

Would be hard to top the Michael Rappoport role
Maybe a poo poo farmer

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

fatherboxx posted:

Would be hard to top the Michael Rappoport role
Maybe a poo poo farmer

Lmao put Musk in just to have his character get owned in the most dumb embarrassing way possible

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

TulliusCicero posted:

The turret thing made my wife and I legitimately laugh out loud, I just said the scientist had a high luck Stat lmao

The only way that made any sense was the turret was supposed to scare eggheads back into the basement or some poo poo, that was ridiculous

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Tunnelsnakefool/status/1781132376531476504?t=q-KSN9w17D7kyok88deYlQ&s=19

Cool project someone is doing syncing up the maps from FO1,2 and Vegas.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

BrotherJayne posted:

The only way that made any sense was the turret was supposed to scare eggheads back into the basement or some poo poo, that was ridiculous

Honestly it would be perfectly on brand in Fallout for the Enclave to have to use "budget" turrets at this point

"Attention all higher ranking Enclave personnel: due to budget cuts, your anti-personnel turrets designed to stop escapes will no longer fire any live rounds, they will however, swivel and look very intimidating"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see Todd also took Small Frame

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bFBLAbwMA0

Tim Cain talks about the show. Spoilers: he likes it and wants more.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Fallout 1 + 2 + Tactics is $5 on steam right now

This will be my first foray into Fallout games

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Season 2 should have some Ska for the credits

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favourite joke is Dallas Goldtoothworth going "I was playing a generic indian" and Walton goggins interrupting "Your character had depht! He could talk to animals!"

That guy is absolutely great in Reservation Dogs, I was happy to see him show up in this too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I don’t think Fallout does anything new or innovative but they lean on tricks and tropes that I love and will never get tired of

the people you always looked up to turned out to be the real bad guys and the person you thought was the bad guy turned out to be right! Oh no your worldview is shattered!

(Me clapping in the audience) yes, amazing

(Happy song plays over scenes of misery and violence)

Me: amazing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When you play the originals you're going to see a lot of stuff Fallout was either the first game to do or at least the first successful game to do. It's one of those games like Deus Ex that influenced every game of its type afterward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Seinfeld of games.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

I don’t think Fallout does anything new or innovative but they lean on tricks and tropes that I love and will never get tired of

the people you always looked up to turned out to be the real bad guys and the person you thought was the bad guy turned out to be right! Oh no your worldview is shattered!

(Me clapping in the audience) yes, amazing

(Happy song plays over scenes of misery and violence)

Me: amazing

Episode 8: I Don't Want to See Tomorrow is not much of a happy song, its in an album thats a lot of blue and sentimental Nat King Cole material called I Don't Want To Be Hurt Anymore and I think as a thematic pair to the longing for a place of belonging each character is seeking is very appropriate. Everybody's journey and arc is pretty inspired by that search and it goes well with the moment of all the characters reaching their goal and having it slip from their grasp.

Just a little thing about the song choice.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

Half of Tim's happiness stems from the fact they actually made a good show based on one of his properties.

The rest was about trying to find all the easter eggs referencing said property that weren't immediately apparent.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I got a friend who almost always sides with House when he replays New Vegas, because he believes it makes logical sense and is the best option for the future of the Wasteland.

Can you tell he works in tech?

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 19, 2024

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Edit: Oh, yeah, I got a friend who almost always sides with House when he replays New Vegas, because he believes it makes logical sense and is the best option for the future of the Wasteland.

Can you tell he works in tech?

:sever:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
me I just wanted to shake mr house's hand but I sneezed on him and he died. Mr Burns rear end character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Never watched Tim Cain talk about anything before but he seems like an absolutely swell dude.