Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also they had to pay Wizards of the Coast a bunch of money to use the license despite many people thinking it was the other way around. That scenario might have changed after how successful BG3 was, but why pay for a license you probably don't need. At this point I assume they can just release whatever they want like Fromsoft and people will just buy it anyways cause of the developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Would have loved an enhanced edition to polish up some parts of that game that need it, I get it though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

WaltherFeng posted:

Heck I would probably fall for this because the default heroine looks kinda uninspired unless you really are into bodysuits

There are supposedly 30 outfits unlockable with the base game alone before you even get to hypothetical downloads. And judging from the demo, there will definitely be looks that aren’t sci fi bodysuit, even if they’re still something you hope nobody walks in on you playing

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 19, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

SB will probably have all manner of spectacle and snazzy production accent, and getting the blessing of key people who influenced it is 100% part of the marketing strategy. after all, Automata sold 8 million copies on a shoestring budget to the audience Shift Up and Sony are courting here. however, comments from Taro should always be taken with a grain of salt, he's a writer and scenario developer first and foremost, and he often makes very calculated self-deprecating comments about his own projects, sometimes as marketing stunts. he has been very direct about how cynically he approaches the marketing apparatus side of the industry, so i think it's safe to say there will be Stellar Blade x NieR crossover DLC for $9.99 of whatever, and that remarks about this new game benefit him personally downstream. otoh we have next to no info on the scenario design of Stellar Blade and it would probably be presumptuous to think it will have the nuance or meta narrative flourish that Taro joints are known for. i suppose we'll know soon enough tho.

I just like love the IGN interview with Yoko Taro and Hyung-tae Kim because it is just two dudes who like action games and pretty ladies gassing each other up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flowing Thot posted:

Would have loved an enhanced edition to polish up some parts of that game that need it, I get it though.

I really doubt that's off the table since they have done that with all of their games. It's not really the same thing as a real expansion though.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

big nipples big life posted:

It has normal and story difficulty in the demo. Normal isn't very hard though, the parry window is so enormous you can just randomly press the button and look like an ace at sekiro.

e: the dodge is weird though, it barely moves and has a tiny window and you have 3 different ones that all have different timing and cues and 2 of them only work against particular telegraphs.

Parrying is probably so easy because of how much you have to use it. There’s still combo, dodge, teleport, rush, etc. mechanics stacked on top

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

padijun posted:

Parrying is probably so easy because of how much you have to use it. There’s still combo, dodge, teleport, rush, etc. mechanics stacked on top

I’m about to parry my cock into my non dominant hand to jerk off while I play Stellar Blade (tm)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How do you delete someone else’s post

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

SilkyP posted:

I’m about to parry my cock into my non dominant hand to jerk off while I play Stellar Blade (tm)

Chill

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Anti-Hero posted:

Is BG3 sort of like Witcher 3 where playing the previous games absolutely is not required?

lol no witcher 3 is not like that (its the final "fan" conclusion to 7 books and two prior games ) but bg3 is sure, you'll probably have a better experience cos bg1&2 npcs will show up and you wont piss your pants wondering if larian even bothered playing them before making bg3.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Having any inkling of the very existence of the wotcher franchise is in no way required to get max enjoyment out of witcher 3

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games and I'm pretty sure I will never play the first two

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You don't need to. The first game is honest-to-god pretty crap anyway. It's always surprising to see mega-hits spawn from mediocre first games. Street Fighter's another good example

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Tgent posted:

The Witcher 3 is one of my favourite games and I'm pretty sure I will never play the first two

I played the first game when it originally came out (2007). I loved it but I can admit that it was not a very good game. A bit of a chore to play.

Witcher 2 was a lot better but still fairly jank.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

ZeeBoi posted:

Are the Steelseries Arctis Nova 7p decent headphones? Specifically for use on the PS5.

As a PS5 player who bought the Astro A40's I kinda wish I'd kept my HyperX Cloud I headset or upgraded to the III. The Arctis Nova 7p does consistently rank top or high in online reviews though, but I never tried it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

After how cool the Echoes of the Fallen boss was I really did not expect The Rising Tide to just... recycle the Ultima fight for it's central bosses.

It's kind of the one real disappointment I have with the DLC. Everything else was cool. The new powers are fun, the new area has better level design and is prettier than anything in the base game, most of the quests involve unique combat encounters or cool unique boss fights, the Bloody Palace equivalent is very well thought out, and the combat tweaks make things much more fun. So overall I like it a lot, but it's weird that the Eikon fight would be where they wound up cutting corners. Especially since it's placed right before the actual Ultima fight in the story... so if you're playing through to the end you'll essentially repeat that fight almost back-to-back.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You don't need to. The first game is honest-to-god pretty crap anyway. It's always surprising to see mega-hits spawn from mediocre first games. Street Fighter's another good example

At the time, the og Witcher was a big deal in the PC gaming world. and was pretty darn good. :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

At the time, the og Witcher was a big deal in the PC gaming world. and was pretty darn good. :colbert:

after they spent a year fixing it

hmm that's kind of familiar

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Since like, October the only console games I played are FF16, spiderman 2, FF7 rebirth and I’m pretty glad I have a ps5. Tekken 8 also oops.

I have the ps+ extra tier and my gaming habits now are just,.. buy the one game I know I’m gonna like and play it for 3 months. I don’t have time anymore to discover a million different games unless we’re talking like $10 indie steam games

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I might play the new ff14 expansion too. Square enix on a roll

Octopath 2 also

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

That's not how I remember it. There was a lot of criticism of the stilted gameplay. Stalker, Crysis and Bioshock came out at the same time and they made it look pedestrian.

Witcher 2 fared a lot better and is what made the series reach the big time imo, especially the excellent 360 port

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That's not how I remember it. There was a lot of criticism of the stilted gameplay. Stalker, Crysis and Bioshock came out at the same time and they made it look pedestrian.

Witcher 2 fared a lot better and is what made the series reach the big time imo, especially the excellent 360 port

Yeah it definitely had its fans but it was hardly a darling of the genre. Witcher 2 got more traction - although even then people mostly just talked about what a graphical powerhouse it was.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I might play the new ff14 expansion too. Square enix on a roll

Octopath 2 also

New SaGa and Mana games out this year too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tgent posted:

I may be wrong but, weren't they doing a remaster of the first game? Because I got the collector's edition when it came out, I loved it but nowadays is really rough to play it even with mods.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The Witcher 3 also took a while for them to fix. At launch if I sprinted around Novigrad I would… outrun the world? Just end up in a grey void because the geometry couldn’t load fast enough. After they fixed that, it would still take several seconds for NPCs to load in after a sprint. Lotsa weird jank like dying by “falling to death” from somehow lethal two foot drops too.

I think a lot of people missed the jank of launch because the game took some time to build up to the level of mass popularity it eventually achieved. People there on day 1 just expected some jank.

Shipping games and fixing them later has just been CDPR’s thing. But then Cyberpunk both had mass attention at launch and was far worse than their previous launches. Don’t think they’ll be able to repeat that going forward.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's been a really long time since I've played it but I vaguely remember Witcher 2 being one of few games that had a choice where it made the next act play out completely differently based on that. How accurate is my memory?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

lordfrikk posted:

It's been a really long time since I've played it but I vaguely remember Witcher 2 being one of few games that had a choice where it made the next act play out completely differently based on that. How accurate is my memory?

Completely. Act 2 starts you in a different region and gives you different quests depending on who you ally with.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Its how it was, youre memory is muddled. 360 port sucks too. Witcher 1 at the time was great dispite tech poo poo. Story is funny now after youve read the books and realize its a mashup best of vol1 tho lol

They basically reteil the entire book series in some shape or form in the 3 games just to have fan ending that somehow is better than the books

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Completely. Act 2 starts you in a different region and gives you different quests depending on who you ally with.

Yeah it ruled but lmao if you sided with the elf.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lordfrikk posted:

It did, yeah. It was kind of like the end of New Vegas where the two versions of the second act took place on the same map, just from the opposite direction.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Guillermus posted:

I may be wrong but, weren't they doing a remaster of the first game? Because I got the collector's edition when it came out, I loved it but nowadays is really rough to play it even with mods.

Thery remaking it, as open world. Which is gonna be interesting cos the only way to do that with that game without it being a completely different thing is if they made vizima the size of night city :letsgo:

Different team i think and I think witcher 4 is coming out first

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

Thery remaking it, as open world. Which is gonna be interesting cos the only way to do that with that game without it being a completely different thing is if they made vizima the size of night city :letsgo:

Different team i think and I think witcher 4 is coming out first

TW1 was kinda contained so yeah, if they touch it more than gfx/combat it'll end being a different game and I don't mind that because it's easy enough to play the original on a toaster.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elden Ring is so fun. I'm pretty sure I mentioned before how I was dreading starting a new character from scratch for the dlc but man I am having a blast. Knowing exactly how everything works and where everything is turns the entire game into a Souls theme park. I've opened up the Rune Farm spot and spent 15 minutes power leveling myself and now I'm Completely Sicknasty

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't know if anyone's told you guys, but this "Symphony of the Night" game is preeeeeeetty cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Many call that game "Metroidvania", due to its similarities with the game "Super Metroid".

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
OK PS5 thread I need your advice. I rarely have more than an hour or two a week to play video games but I have a two-week window of bachelorhood coming up that will provide me a precious opportunity to go full goon poopsock mode. I won't get this again for a while so I want to make the most of it by delving into a substantial single player RPG/action/open world game.

I generally like expansive games but I dislike story-heavy stuff. I'm also not a huge fan of anime games but I did play FF7-9 when I was young and with all the good FFs that've come out over the last few years I've been jonesing to return to that series.

Here are my choices:

FF16 - the idea of a really solid old-school FF is appealing.
FF7 Remake Intergrade and FF7 Rebirth - I'd love to revisit FF7, but I'm not sure if I should start with Intergrade or go right into Rebirth?
BG3 - I've heard so much praise about this game, but I'm not sure if I'll like it given how story focused it is (I'm not into D&D); I'm also hesitant because the PS5 controls sound fiddly.
Dragon's Dogma 2 - the generic open fantasy world is right up my alley and the gameplay looks really fun.
Cyberpunk 2077 - looks really cool and I've heard a lot of good stuff about it after all the updates, but not sure how it ranks up against the other options currently.

What should I go for???

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Integrade takes like 3 hours at the most. Bg3 controls are just fine, I spent like 80 hours in that game with no problems. 2077 is fantastic, the dlc is even better in terms of content though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Rebirth imo but have you played remake?

Unless you mean remake intergrade as remake + Yuffie, then yes.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

JBP posted:

Rebirth imo but have you played remake?

Unless you mean remake intergrade as remake + Yuffie, then yes.

I haven’t played a FF game since the mid 2000s, so no. All the different FF7 remake titles confuse me.

If I go FF7, do I need to play Remake first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

All of those except DD2 are pretty story heavy, although the FF games you could skip through the cutscenes if you really wanted to.

And FF16 is great but I wouldn't call it an old school FF per se.

MeinPanzer posted:

If I go FF7, do I need to play Remake first?

Remake Integrade is just the version of Remake that comes with the DLC so play that.