Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

- Rome
- Outremer
- Dutch and British Trade Companies
- Congo Free State
- Continental Slavers (?)
- Third Reich
- Israel

You can say you don't like a thing without saying there's a commonality across entirely different modes of production and sociopolitical systems. Even as systems of empire, these were organized very differently.

I think theres a line to be drawn linking the way empire treats its colonial outposts, especially colonies established amongst those the imperial core has deemed subhuman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Face Guardians: Savers of the Face

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 43 minutes!

The Alchemist posted:

This theory is invented by american posters to save face

coming up with elaborate conspiracy theories to explain things in a way pleasing to our anxieties and egos when they have a more prosaic materialist explanation is simply part of our inscrutable occidental ways.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

wasn't there an indian wrestler in WWE that was huge? He was also a punjabi guy.

Jinder Mahal, was WWE champion, I mainly remember him for the 'roids scandal and having a gross back

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don’t find that explanation more or less ego soothing than the “israel just duffed an attack” explanation, but I do find it funnier

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao, watched a bit.

What's this thing?
Live Multi-terrorism, though

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t find that explanation more or less ego soothing than the “israel just duffed an attack” explanation, but I do find it funnier

in lieu of materialist analysis or meaningful ways to protest, this strategy is ftw

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Buschmaki posted:

manifest some pussy, my man

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Neurolimal posted:

Jinder Mahal, was WWE champion, I mainly remember him for the 'roids scandal and having a gross back

arghhhh why would you activate these memories

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

lmao
https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1781018503056630077

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

come nuke, m’lady

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
scuse me iran but is this nuclear armed vassal state of the most heavily nuclear armed country bothering you?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The difference between the Soviet Union and Russian Federation is pretty clearly demonstrated with that, because goddamn somebody give them some SAMs and MiG-23s already.

i'm sure i'm being dense but i don't follow what you mean

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Snip

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Tankbuster posted:

yes, there was a first/second generation rulebook kinda like early warhammer 40k with beaky marines and the well known marines. They flipped polarity on what races were martial though.

lol this is not far off.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Buschmaki posted:

madmatt112 posted:

manifest deez nuts

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

DeimosRising posted:

i'm sure i'm being dense but i don't follow what you mean

The Soviets were willing (to a point) to arm states that opposed the US and Israel, the Russian Federation has been very careful not to provide the Syrian Arab Army, and especially the Syrian Arab Air Force, anything that could be a threat to Israel.

You can liken this to the Russian-Turkish-Greek diplomatic crisis over selling SAMs to Cyprus that would have prevented Turkey from bombing at will.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mandel Brotset posted:

come nuke, m’lady

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Soviets were willing (to a point) to arm states that opposed the US and Israel, the Russian Federation has been very careful not to provide the Syrian Arab Army, and especially the Syrian Arab Air Force, anything that could be a threat to Israel.

You can liken this to the Russian-Turkish-Greek diplomatic crisis over selling SAMs to Cyprus that would have prevented Turkey from bombing at will.

i was being dense, i thought you meant iran and was like ???

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Buschmaki posted:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
No one needs to "manifest pussy", everything that poster said was correct and on topic

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Orbs posted:

No one needs to "manifest pussy", everything that poster said was correct and on topic

look at this poster bragging about not needin any pussy

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Orbs posted:

No one needs to "manifest pussy",

stfu

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the resistance rockets sderot and the negotiations have been completely stalled for the past 12 days

====

Resistance is bombing Sderot

Al-Jazeera correspondent reported that the sirens sounded in Sderot and several towns on the Gaza envelope.

Israel’s Channel 13 reported that the Iron Dome intercepted a rocket fired from Gaza towards Sderot.

While Hebrew media reported that the Hodeid dome failed to confront all the resistance missiles that were launched towards Sderot, where some rockets landed without being countered.

Israeli media: Negotiation reached a dead end

The Israeli Channel 12 stated that the War Council did not discuss the file of prisoners in the resistance in the Gaza Strip for 12 days and the negotiation reached a dead end and the war has spun in its place.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...31610;&%231577;

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Orbs posted:

No one needs to "manifest pussy"

what the gently caress

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Orbs posted:

what 0 pussy does to a mfer

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Truga posted:

yeah that's the point, make up a stupid "oh we lost" story for the west and move on lol

No I mean it would embolden Israel. Every humiliation is proof* of the superiority and capacity to win of the armed forces. It's basically the one KPI in Ukraine that got them more weapons.

* In the west

Leandros has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Apr 19, 2024

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

coming up with elaborate conspiracy theories to explain things in a way pleasing to our anxieties and egos when they have a more prosaic materialist explanation is simply part of our inscrutable occidental ways.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Orbs posted:

sounds like you should join the pussy queue

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Owlbear Camus posted:

e: Meanwhile the great western literary tradition,

Even written material, as far as writing had then evolved, can’t have made composition exactly easy. Single written sheets were combined into rolls, effectively scrolls, of up to thirty-five feet. That made long texts hard to manage: “When one had to hold the roll in the right hand and re-roll it with the left, reading column after column of text, the inconvenience of very long rolls is very apparent.” (The word processor now has us “scrolling” back and forth again, but at least it moves fast and has the short cut of a Find function.) Add to this the arrangement of text on a sheet with no break between words (“scriptio continua”), all capitals, with hexameter-length lines possibly running alternately from left to right and back—known as “boustrophedon,” that is, in the manner of an ox turning to plough the return furrow:

RAGEGODESSSINGTHERAGEOFPELEUSSONACHILLES
LOSSESCOUNTLESSACHAEANSTHECOSTTHATDOOMEDMURDEROUS
HURLINGDOWNTOTHEHOUSEOFDEATHMANYSTURDYSOULS

And those are just the opening lines of the Iliad. The further you went into a scroll, the harder it must have been to work at the detail of comparing, conflating, compiling, while still keeping an overview of the whole. The day of the codex, the early form of the book, lay far in the future.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 21:33 on Apr 19, 2024

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Truga posted:

what are these people doing

they should just say "oh wow that was some giant bombs half our country is a crater, you totally won bibi"

Truga posted:

yeah that's the point, make up a stupid "oh we lost" story for the west and move on lol

which would defeat the whole point of iran maintaining credibility for hitting back after any *serious* attack. what are u doing

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Ham posted:

sounds like you should join the pussy queue

Excuse me could you point me to the pussy queue?

Edit: Also I hope Israel just coughs and turns into dust and all the Zionists leaves and the remaining non-poo poo Jewish people, Christians and the Palestinians have a banging rear end banquet to celebrate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

thechosenone posted:

Excuse me could you point me to the pussy queue?

Edit: Also I hope Israel just coughs and turns into dust and all the Zionists leaves and the remaining non-poo poo Jewish people, Christians and the Palestinians have a banging rear end banquet to celebrate.

BYOP

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
more like womanifest

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Israel must be stopped!

hahaha

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

russias interest in syria is keeping its big military bases running and they probably like assad having to depend on their presence as a deterrent instead of giving him the ability to take out the iaf and have damascus revenge bombed or whatever heinous poo poo israel would do that might gently caress up russias ability to run thekr bases

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://aje.io/i6sqvz?update=2847840

quote:

Strikes on Iran could be part of Israel’s strategic signalling

Omar Ashour, a professor of security and military studies at the Doha Institute for Graduate Studies, has spoken to Al Jazeera about what we know so far about Israel’s reported strike on Iran and what it may have wanted to demonstrate.

Here is a short summary:

There was a suppression of Syrian air defences in the south, mainly to allow space for the Israeli air force to launch what seems to be Sparrow air-launched ballistic missiles from Iraq.
We know this because the Iraqis have shown part of a Blue Sparrow booster, which is an old missile designed to be a target for Israeli defence system training.
The Blue Sparrow replicates Shahed 2 and 3 munitions that the Israelis could practice shooting at.
We see now that it was used as an attack weapon. So there’s a bit of a question mark about whether there was, in fact, a payload.
According to some of the reports, there were three missiles launched, and they hit an air defence system near one of the nuclear facilities near Isfahan.
This is part of Israel’s strategic signalling that it has sophisticated capabilities. Its military suppressed Syrian air defences, went through Iraqi air defences unscathed and managed to reach an air defence system very close to an Iranian nuclear establishment.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

israel calling no warheadsies. no strikes back.

bombings dont count if you use training target missiles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted: