Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Hit Man is fantastic, saw it with 2200 other people at the London Film Festival last October and everybody was into it - at a certain climatic point the audience broke into spontaneous applause. Definitely one to see in the cinema if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Carpet posted:

Trailer for M Night Shyamalan's new film, Trap, starring Josh Hartnett. The trailer didn't seem that interesting until the big reveal half way through, I wish I'd not watched it as I would have gone and seen it anyway based on the strength of Knock at the Cabin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJiPAJKjUVg

So the twist is gonna be that the real killer is the guy he has chained up in the basement, right?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The real killer is social media and celebrity culture

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mordja posted:

So the twist is gonna be that the real killer is the guy he has chained up in the basement, right?

He's in Hell, the concert is his punishment, and his daughter is the Devil.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mordja posted:

Who cares just see the loving movie if it looks interesting to you. Stop caring about what you perceive as “twists.”

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

No. If Shyamalan makes a movie it is mandatory to make jokes about the twist. Straight up unethical not to.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Who cares just see the loving movie if it looks interesting to you. Stop caring about what you perceive as “twists.”

Bro. Chill.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Trap will be the 2nd stealth sequel to Unbreakable.

... or gently caress, it's named Trap, it's a stealth Saw reboot.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mordja posted:

Bro. Chill.

It’s the same hacky twist jokes for 20 years at this point

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The twist is that M Night was in this thread the whole time

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Conrad_Birdie posted:

It’s the same hacky twist jokes for 20 years at this point

Lol I wasn't even thinking in terms of Shamalan, bro.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
When was the last Shyamalan movie with an actual "twist" and not just, like, dramatic irony.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Shyamalan is good at Very Weird Dads so looking forward to that.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AngryBooch posted:

Trap will be the 2nd stealth sequel to Unbreakable.

... or gently caress, it's named Trap, it's a stealth Saw reboot.

It’s a stealth sequel to Stealth, the real serial killer is an evil plane hidden in the arena

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the twist in Knock at the Cabin is that he completely destroyed and undercut the book's ending

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

When was the last Shyamalan movie with an actual "twist" and not just, like, dramatic irony.

The beach that makes you age

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I don't think the premise can be considered a twist.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
*channeling shymalan thought processes* the dad is a serial killer, but not the serial killer the cops are looking for

that said, i want to see it, which is more than i can say for that god awful transformers trailer

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The daughter is the butcher.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The pop star they've gone to see is the killer. The trap is for her.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The trap is for audiences who see the movie in theaters, and there will be an interactive William Castle gimmick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The man in the chair is his husband, it's just a weird sex thing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mulva posted:

The man in the chair is his husband, it's just a weird sex thing.

Re: The Trailer Thread Reboot: it’s just a weird sex thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Josh Hartnett is Bane. The trap is all the cops now live under the stadium.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its a prequel to the black mirror ep with josh hartnett

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Imagine if that concession stand worker hadn't told Josh Hartnett all that stuff he definitely shouldn't have told some random guy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

live with fruit posted:

Imagine if that concession stand worker hadn't told Josh Hartnett all that stuff he definitely shouldn't have told some random guy.

Didn't they say each other's names? I figured they know each other.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

davidspackage posted:

Didn't they say each other's names? I figured they know each other.
LOL, what? No, they’re strangers that just introduced themselves by name before talking.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

JazzFlight posted:

LOL, what? No, they’re strangers that just introduced themselves by name before talking.

yeah its this

the concession guy does that with all new customers. its kindof his thing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Hey stranger, don't tell anyone but there's a serial killer in the building and the police are using you and everyone else as bait. Now, what can I get you?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ah, well. It wouldn't be Shyamalan without an interaction with a service worker that is bizarre and unrealistic.

Can't wait to see it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

davidspackage posted:

Ah, well. It wouldn't be Shyamalan without an interaction with a service worker that is bizarre and unrealistic.

Can't wait to see it.

in the director's cut, he's the guy

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I don't think the premise can be considered a twist.

The twist was that the beach was being abused by a pharmaceutical company to speed-run drug trials

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

thrawn527 posted:

That is a drat good trailer, and I'm in.

Looks good, but it has me wondering what the cops actual plan is.

Like, there must be something that will stop Hartnett just leaving with his daughter at the end of the concert right? They can't detain EVERY dude at the concert right? Even if they search him, what could they find?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

garycoleisgod posted:

Looks good, but it has me wondering what the cops actual plan is.

Like, there must be something that will stop Hartnett just leaving with his daughter at the end of the concert right? They can't detain EVERY dude at the concert right? Even if they search him, what could they find?

Or for that matter, how is it that the cops know the serial killer is a massive fan of this musician and wouldn’t miss their concert, they don’t know who he is but know his Spotify faves? And if it’s a top secret mission, forget that the concessions guy blabs, why does he know literally anything about it to begin with? I mean, it can be a fun movie no matter how little sense it makes, but as a premise it’s a real head scratcher.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

The titular trap is not referring to the cops trapping The Stabber, it’s The Stabber trapping everyone else. So he can stab them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Colonel Whitey posted:

The titular trap is not referring to the cops trapping The Stabber, it’s The Stabber trapping everyone else. So he can stab them.
the twist is that all of the cops are the Butcher

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Carthag Tuek posted:

the twist in Knock at the Cabin is that he completely destroyed and undercut the book's ending

I’ve still never forgiven him for the twist in The Village.

I wanted real monsters goddammit. :colbert:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zadok Allen posted:

It turns out the world is actually really loving boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zadok Allen posted:

i never saw that, but i like a bunch of his movies

its just, the cabin at the end of the world book was really good. the movie takes that it flips it over and ruins everything

e: tagged spoilers here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3631122&pagenumber=1464&perpage=40#post530061465

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 20, 2024