Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey I got a question. Where the gently caress does Frito-Lay get off charging $5.99 United States Dollars for Tostitos? For loving 11 ounces of dried corn? That stuff the government pays farmers $2.2 billion dollars a year to grow out of the dirt? A bag was $3.50 in 2019. COVID doesn't infect maize last I checked.

AND they made the amount smaller!! https://www.reddit.com/r/shrinkflation/comments/oqdsjd/shrinkflation_tostitos_bags_have_shrunk_2_oz_but/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Hey I got a question. Where the gently caress does Frito-Lay get off charging $5.99 United States Dollars for Tostitos? For loving 11 ounces of dried corn? That stuff the government pays farmers $2.2 billion dollars a year to grow out of the dirt? A bag was $3.50 in 2019. COVID doesn't infect maize last I checked.

AND they made the amount smaller!! https://www.reddit.com/r/shrinkflation/comments/oqdsjd/shrinkflation_tostitos_bags_have_shrunk_2_oz_but/

2 words: bidenflation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My 23 year old nephew has already decided he's never having kids.

Zoomers know the bleak outlook of their future. It's pretty easy to see the stark degeneration from boomer to zoomer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My 23 year old nephew has already decided he's never having kids.

Zoomers know the bleak outlook of their future. It's pretty easy to see the stark degeneration from boomer to zoomer.

I decided earlier than that. Captain Planet made a good argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZtug7zNyk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zero VGS posted:

I decided earlier than that. Captain Planet made a good argument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMZtug7zNyk

:lol:

I used to love that show.

It got pretty loving depressing though growing into an adult and seeing republicans as straight up 100% real Captain Planet villains.

edit: and cops

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021
Heart!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Me in 1991: "No one is this comically and hilariously evil."

Me later: "Oh."

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

• More money for us.
  • gently caress you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zero VGS posted:

I'm going to repeat this for like the fourth time in this very topic, but a candy bar is $3, and that's hosed up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

All the name brand chips are exorbitantly priced. Same companies as name brand soda. They go on sale intermittently for half that. Bifurcated pricing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

chadbear posted:

1,700 a month for daycare jfc death to Amerikkka

Would you watch someone else's kid full time for 20k/yr? I sure fuckin wouldn't.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i think the implication isn't that daycare should charge more or workers paid less, but that the govt should intervene and pay some or all of the cost so that childcare isn't unnecessarily burdensome

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ivanka trump was right

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
We got all this surplus prison labor why not use it to subsidize childcare. bing bong crisis averted

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Kids sending kites across the floor to the other cell but it's a cootie catcher.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Kids would be learning life skills for sure

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Recess = an hour in “the yard”

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

All the name brand chips are exorbitantly priced. Same companies as name brand soda. They go on sale intermittently for half that. Bifurcated pricing.

The most hosed up part is that for 50 cents more, Costco sells a bag of Kirkland organic tortilla chips that's loving 40 oz instead of Tostitos 11 oz. But I can't eat that many chips before they go stale, or rather I'll feel like poo poo if I do.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Mortgage rates mean nothing when a company can just buy wholesale. It makes more financial sense to buy houses than it is to keep money in a bank. Housing is another stock market to grow imaginary numbers no matter the human suffering. Housing can't go down in price because it's a gigantic shell game for corporations like it was before the financial collapse a few financial collapses ago. That's a huge portion of the economy. Not to mention it is a great way to launder money. All the while there's arguments about making people live in smaller and smaller areas on top of one another in apartments (that are 2800 minimum a month. No parking included. Is extra. Outside. )

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Universal childcare was almost instated at the federal level in the 70s. The bill had popular support and was passed by congress but nixon vetoed it. This was thanks in large part to anti-feminist / anti-communist people like phyllis schlafly. If you feel like making yourself pissed off you can read the following article or listen to phyllis' behind the bastards episodes:

https://reprorights.substack.com/p/universal-daycare-is-it-something

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Houle posted:

Mortgage rates mean nothing when a company can just buy wholesale. It makes more financial sense to buy houses than it is to keep money in a bank. Housing is another stock market to grow imaginary numbers no matter the human suffering. Housing can't go down in price because it's a gigantic shell game for corporations like it was before the financial collapse a few financial collapses ago. That's a huge portion of the economy. Not to mention it is a great way to launder money. All the while there's arguments about making people live in smaller and smaller areas on top of one another in apartments (that are 2800 minimum a month. No parking included. Is extra. Outside. )

Eh, right off the bat if you own land you're stuck paying the property taxes and utilities, which are no joke these days. You can flat out lose money on renters too, it's just harder to do with the more renters you have as things average out.

Housing can make more money than the stock market, but the stock market is literally "number go up" with zero effort. Renting is a full-time job per every handful of apartments, if not for the property owner then for whoever they're paying to do it, and paying for that management and maintenance brings it back toward the stock market returns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A full time job ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

A full time job ?

Maybe it's more endemic to Greater Boston Area homes all being built in the 1910's and the crime rates, but yeah there's a thousand things breaking in a thousand ways at all times. I just had to spend over $5000 because someone broke a lease sneaking a dog into an apartment, bathed it in the tub constantly, and the fur managed to clog what is known as a "drum trap", which is an obsolete kind of trap that is prone to clogging, which hosed up apartments under them, and the renter didn't want to get in trouble so they hid the dog and said the tub drained perfectly fine when it was totally backed up, which multiplied the damage because it took much longer for the plumbers to go through all the different apartments to track down.

I just spent my last week serving as an ad-hoc social worker and cleaning up human feces for another renter, then going back each day to run an ozone generator to try to curb the smell, and tracking down their actual social worker who dipped without notice due to a family emergency. I'll leave it at that due to HIPAA.

I've had renters in gun battles and put bullets in my neighbor's houses. Chalk that one up to, you never know if your kids will decide to join a gang, apparently. I could probably fill 200 pages of posts with all my wacky adventures.

So yeah, a loving full time job.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
39.75 hours a week thinking about how much to raise rent next year

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ah, a landlord

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Look I'm not up for getting dogpiled by communists, I'm just letting this goon know that if they think housing is Stock Market EZ-Mode, guess again. It's the Dark Souls of investments. I gotta put up with so much misery and I gotta do it all by the book because there's nothing more these fuckers would love than to make up a sob story for a judge and redistribute my wealth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My fiend I understand you think you have a hard time but maybe reserve the “job” noun for people who work for wages/salary

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Look I'm not up for getting dogpiled by communists, I'm just letting this goon know that if they think housing is Stock Market EZ-Mode, guess again. It's the Dark Souls of investments. I gotta put up with so much misery and I gotta do it all by the book because there's nothing more these fuckers would love than to make up a sob story for a judge and redistribute my wealth.

for sure. it's def not a full time job tho

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I haven't used reddit much since they canned all the APIs. But recently I thought 'hey why not post there!' Christ what a mistake. I have no idea when it got so bad, but every single interaction I've had in the past week or two has been weird, sad snark. The interactions don't feel organic at all either; they feel like a facsimile of a response like an AI would write. It kills any desire to respond because I do not feel like I'm talking to real people.

Oh, and housing. Man housing sucks in 2024.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Motherfucking fr fr red scare rear end motherfuckers in this thread.

Fr fr

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the commies want to take my full time job...

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Laborious rear end motherfuckers

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

My fiend I understand you think you have a hard time but maybe reserve the “job” noun for people who work for wages/salary

That's what I was doing the last 20 years. Now I'm laid off and this is my "retirement" plan. And just like everything else it is shittier, because the cost of repairs and materials are through the roof, and labor is so expensive that I have to do all the handiwork that doesn't need a licensed pro myself, or it wouldn't be profitable. I easily do 40 hours each week painting, cleaning, listing, doing showings, background checks, huge amount of Section 8 paperwork, lugging appliances up/down stairs, repairing stairs, showing up in person to help tenants, bringing my paint to Home Depot and having them shake it back up for me and add grit to it so I can paint the stairs so they're grippy for the winter and someone doesn't trip and sue me, I had to cut my time with my boyfriend short and drive back early because the police kicked the door in half during a wellness check, so I mended the door myself and installed a keypad deadbolt so they have a way in next time.

for sure. it's def not a full time job tho

For 1 or 2 apartments I agree, when you're around 10 and they're all in different locations so you have no economy of scale (different parts, different paints, different window blind lengths, different faucet fixtures and different washer/dryer hookups and voltages) and you're from a poor area with a lot of tenants who are high-maintenance, it's easily more work than full time. Quite a bit more because I came from COVID quiet-quitting IT stuff to ramping this up. Plus I'm not getting any younger.

I wish. For all the commie bitching about how easy I have it, I can't get any of them to do what I do for $30/hr cash. If you know anyone send them my way.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 20, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Background checks lol

Edit

That was rude go ahead and vent I am listening (it’s still not a job)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Am I here for a magic moment? Is this one of those things where someone gets a big pulsing vein on their head???

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I'm absolutely floored that someone would come into a thread about complaining about capitalism and then talk about being a landlord as if that's perfectly normal

Zero VGS posted:

Look I'm not up for getting dogpiled by communists,

i don't wanna victim-blame but you're kinda asking for it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Am I here for a magic moment? Is this one of those things where someone gets a big pulsing vein on their head???

feeling yuor moderator senses tingling or>?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

feeling yuor moderator senses tingling or>?

just losing my chains you see they were the only thing I had left to lose.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Zero VGS posted:

the police kicked the door in half [...] installed a keypad deadbolt so they have a way in next time.

Lmao psychotic behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
if i had kids id probably start going to a church for daycare but like some cool hippie church not like the ones i grew up in. church definitely saved my parents a lot of childcare costs which is part of the appeal.