Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Preoptopus posted:

Requesting Pic of that bad rear end special forces dude holding an adult rifle while wearing a white button up shirt and tie.

I'm not sure if you're thinking of the same guy, but that sounds like Mike Vining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Preoptopus posted:

Requesting Pic of that bad rear end special forces dude holding an adult rifle while wearing a white button up shirt and tie.

"adult rifle" as in hes not himself an adult, but a child? check america.com/pictures

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not sure if you're thinking of the same guy, but that sounds like Mike Vining.

That dude is often mistaken for Mike Vining but it's not him in that one pic

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carthag Tuek posted:

"adult rifle" as in hes not himself an adult, but a child? check america.com/pictures

I'm assuming that was a typo/auto-correct and they meant "assault rifle"

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

falling down prequel lookin good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm assuming that was a typo/auto-correct and they meant "assault rifle"

ahaha ok yeah that makes more sense, sorry

ive seen that pic before, i think hes supposed to be the inspiration for the rear end in a top hat with the glasses in Sicario (dont remember his name)

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

So here is a bit of background on this guy

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah that guy, thx for the link

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Louis Tully the next time someone brought a dog to his party

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

ahaha ok yeah that makes more sense, sorry

ive seen that pic before, i think hes supposed to be the inspiration for the rear end in a top hat with the glasses in Sicario (dont remember his name)

https://youtu.be/pKXkls2djVA?si=I3IZuoP-un73ahoH

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Adult rifle as in it's got dick and ball out or adult rifle as opposed to rifles for children?

A rifle that is at least twenty years old.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

OwlFancier posted:

Adult rifle as in it's got dick and ball out or adult rifle as opposed to rifles for children?

This is the US. All rifles are for children.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ot92xs0Hl01uvv5gh.mp4

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Coolest dogs.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
And after that they all got laid

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

His Wikipedia page has a funny picture of him too:

That’s the glasses and expression of an accountant, not a Delta Force commando.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I don’t know man, it does kind of also seem like a “go ahead and try it” face

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's a gently caress around and find out face if I've ever seen one

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

that is definitely the face of the guy in the bar that one would feel safe to gently caress with. probably the last guy one would gently caress with tho.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lol, Ned Flanders over there armed with tactical spreadsheetFLGNSSSSsssss *brains forcefully ejected through back of skull*

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If they’d made a movie about that guy in the early-mid 90s, he’d have been played by Rick Moranis.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mike Vining comes across as a person who did his job at the time and isn't particularly interested in talking about it in the aftermath, so not a blowhard windbag.
His Wikipedia page has a quote from him to that effect
"Commenting on the trend, Vining said “I do not know how any of the memes got started. One of my grandchildren saw that someone even did a Pokémon card on me."
My own grandfather was an officer in the Irish War of Independence and the subsequent Civil War, but he basically never spoke about it at all.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

fartknocker posted:

My dad was a career Special Forces soldier, very few of them look like action stars. Most of them just look like everyday dudes.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I've seen loads of Special Forces guys and they all look blurry. I think they must deliberately recruit all the guys who look like that because you never see them in photos of regular forces.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah my dad was in the army and saw heavy combat in Vietnam, he's just an old guy with a mustache but he hosed poo poo up back in the day.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

fartknocker posted:

Nah B, he's got a bit of a thousand-yard stare. He's (obviously) been in some engagements.

Pookah posted:

Mike Vining comes across as a person who did his job at the time and isn't particularly interested in talking about it in the aftermath, so not a blowhard windbag.

100%, he's the platonic ideal of what an actual super-secret-squirrel spec-ops guy should be. I understand those types are increasingly rare; apparently since the beginning of the GWOT and surge in popularity of tactical shooters, more and more people who end up SEALs or whatever are loudmouth meatheads.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

freeedr posted:

I don’t know man, it does kind of also seem like a “go ahead and try it” face

It's the look of someone who says "what, me worry?"

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

When I think of bravery at war I always think of this guy

He's Desmond Doss. He was a conscientious objector in World War 2 and refused to carry a weapon, he volunteered to do to World War 2 despite not having to because of his work. So he became a medic. He got 2 Bronze stars in the Philippines for bravery under fire and then at the Battle of Okinawa. Something had gone disastrously wrong at Hacksaw Ridge and hundereds of soldiers were wounded on the top of a ridge, he kept going back up the ridge and rescuing me one at a time, somewhere between 50-100 men. Here's his citation

quote:

Medal of Honor
Rank and organization: Private First Class, United States Army, Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division.

Place and date: Near Urasoe Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, April 29, 1945 – May 21, 1945.

Entered service at: Lynchburg, Virginia

Birth: Lynchburg, Virginia

G.O. No.: 97, November 1, 1945.

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of The Congress the MEDAL OF HONOR to

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS DESMOND T. DOSS
UNITED STATES ARMY

for service as set forth in the following

Citation: Private First Class Desmond T. Doss, United States Army, Medical Detachment, 307th Infantry, 77th Infantry Division. Near Urasoe-Mura, Okinawa, Ryukyu Islands, 29 April – 21 May 1945. He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Private First Class Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying them one by one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On 2 May, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and two days later he treated four men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within eight yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making four separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On 5 May, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small-arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Private First Class Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On 21 May, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited five hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Private First Class Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of one arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Private First Class Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty

He wasn't in a kill or be killed situation, he wasn't just doing what he trained for etc. He just did what he believed was the right thing to do.

I've never seen the film, Hacksaw Ridge, so no idea if it was good or not.

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

Aramoro posted:

it really, really sucks.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Aramoro posted:

When I think of bravery at war I always think of this guy

You can’t fool me. That’s Andrew Garfield

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

Aramoro posted:

spechtie posted:

it really, really sucks.

It really, really, really, sucks.

I felt like I was watching "Simple Jack", the joke movie in "Tropic Thunder".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mel Gibson, lol

spechtie
Feb 24, 2024

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_scbauvzMde1s1ddrj_720.mp4

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Wanted the dude to get tail slapped in the face so bad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inceltown posted:

Wanted the dude to get tail slapped in the face so bad.

You're not alone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That fish has one hell of a story to tell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hackers film 1995 posted:

falling down prequel lookin good
"Stumbling a little bit and quickly looking around to see if anybody noticed"

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Rasmus posted:

It really, really, really, sucks.

I felt like I was watching "Simple Jack", the joke movie in "Tropic Thunder".

It has a >8 average rating on IMDB. My assumption is its chief flaw is reflecting Gibson's politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It has a >8 average rating on IMDB. My assumption is its chief flaw is reflecting Gibson's politics.

I didn't get any of that from the movie, but it felt almost like a parody of war movies but apparently it was meant to be a serious work.