Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

dorium posted:

I think its more the inference that directors who have gone past that or have "blemished" their runs with bad movies arent perfect or arent smart enough to know when to get out. It would be more fair and more true to say its harder to get budgets, attention and time as an aging filmmaker than it is to say "this arbitrary line is perfection and I've achieved it".

I don’t think Tarantino is saying that at all, some of his most referenced favorite filmmakers are well beyond that line (Scorsese)- I think he just personally doesn’t want to push himself to make films as he gets older and more out of touch. It should be just as valid for filmmakers to make films till they croak as it is to call it quits and enjoy retirement, it’s their art.

I understand the guy is a bit much but this is like, one of the least egregious things he has done. And I love filmmakers with crazy up and down filmographies even if it means things like Argento making Dracula 3D but, I’m not gonna say how dare you if one of them says no I don’t think I want to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I lost it at this week's Chucky. gently caress Santa!!!!

Devon Sawa is having so much fun with this show. Can't wait to see who he plays next

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I say hack journeyman I’m talking about like the guy who made max payne and the omen remake. Brett ratner. Just the most boring directors ever who make slick crap that has no personality too it

Also with someone like Ridley he just likes to work. Which is fine. I don’t think any director should stop if they don’t want too but I do think a bad final output can put a damper on the career sometimes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean if you'd have told me before Argento's Dracula came out that he was making it, I would've been super hyped. It wouldn't have occurred to me that he would gently caress that up in the specific ways that he did, i.e. flat production design and lovely green-screening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bro come on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUK4p1Di6_U

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think most 70s italian directors would absolutely use lovely green screen and CGI if they could. That's half the charm of Giallos is imagining the director saying eh gently caress it on set 20 times a day

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doltos posted:

I think most 70s italian directors would absolutely use lovely green screen and CGI if they could. That's half the charm of Giallos is imagining the director saying eh gently caress it on set 20 times a day
:hmmyes:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Doltos posted:

yeah but the gently caress it let to all sorts of weird poo poo and analog half-measures thats the entire charm, if it led to lovely CGI it would elimimate the charm not create it.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

I mean if you'd have told me before Argento's Dracula came out that he was making it, I would've been super hyped. It wouldn't have occurred to me that he would gently caress that up in the specific ways that he did, i.e. flat production design and lovely green-screening.

Saw that in a theater when it was new when Argento was the guest of honour at RIFF. After the double feature of Suspiria and Inferno a day or two before Dracula 3D's badness hit hard because you had something so recently experienced to contrast it with.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kvlt! posted:

yeah but the gently caress it let to all sorts of weird poo poo and analog half-measures thats the entire charm, if it led to lovely CGI it would elimimate the charm not create it.

Absolutely, I just think they'd use it

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
i watched late night with the devil and i guess it was ok at best. did some reading and people are mad about it using ai? where does it even use ai?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the girl playing Abigail is scary good

i dont get why Joey didnt turn

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

von Braun posted:

i watched late night with the devil and i guess it was ok at best. did some reading and people are mad about it using ai? where does it even use ai?

interstitials and the show's graphics

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

von Braun posted:

I just finished it and I loved it. I'm a big fan of reading up on that era and things like Michelle Remembers, and I love James Randi so it's like it was tuned for my brain specifically.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I like auteur perfectionists but I also really admire the more blue collar directors in that John Ford tradition where you just keep pumping out movies and then you look at their filmography and it's like goddamn this guy made 100 films in 40 years!

Highly recommend at some point doing what I'm doing/in the middle of and still have right now and reading Walter Chaw's book A Walter Hill Film, an in-depth critical look at everything in Hill's filmography (has good stuff about the Alien films and The Warriors for example; just finished reading about Extreme Prejudice, an underrated gem of his imo). And I do mean everything; just got to page 300, still have 259 to go

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I didn't notice the AI at all for Late Night With the Devil and it's sad that movie has more discourse about that than how it was Pretty Good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Medullah posted:

I just finished it and I loved it. I'm a big fan of reading up on that era and things like Michelle Remembers, and I love James Randi so it's like it was tuned for my brain specifically.

Same here, I think it pays homage to those classic 70s inspirations like you said, while pushing those inspirations to absurd degrees. And the depiction of the actual demon - is this really a spoiler? was one of the coolest things I've seen in a while.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Basebf555 posted:

I like auteur perfectionists but I also really admire the more blue collar directors in that John Ford tradition where you just keep pumping out movies and then you look at their filmography and it's like goddamn this guy made 100 films in 40 years!

So that's why I don't begrudge someone like Ridley Scott for continuing to make movies that maybe aren't always great. It feels like a connection to a past era in Hollywood that probably goes extinct once Ridley's generation is done, which is mostly already the case because Ridley is one of the last left.

Scott has been consistently directing since the early 90's. While his movies might not always be "great".....he rarely delivers a clunker. A high floor.....and most of what he does is at least good.....with the occasional great movie. I thought 'The Last Duel' was pretty drat good. Not what I had expected....but in a good way.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Doltos posted:

I didn't notice the AI at all for Late Night With the Devil and it's sad that movie has more discourse about that than how it was Pretty Good

It's a hot button issue right now and it seems like a lot of people didn't get the memo that the Hollywood strikes put something in writing about it's usage now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was before the strikes

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CelticPredator posted:

It was before the strikes

OK, true, but there's something now to prevent it's over usage in the future now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Lilly actress was absolutely incredible

Between this and the child actors of Imaginary it’s really amazing how talented these kids are

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 20, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Lilly actress was absolutely incredible

Between this and the child actors of Imaginary it’s really amazing how talented these kids are

I have not stopped thinking about Imaginary since I watched it. It is so impressively awful, but also has some of the best acting tied to horrific writing, especially the kid. I was blown away by her. But then the same movie has another actress who's sole responsibility is to espouse exposition to make sure you understand what just happened.

I think a film student could do their thesis on that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin Godscock posted:

OK, true, but there's something now to prevent it's over usage in the future now.

Yeah it doesn’t have much use now honestly. I was originally under the impression that adobes generative fill was fairly moral because they used their own resources but apparently not. So yea.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

I have not stopped thinking about Imaginary since I watched it. It is so impressively awful, but also has some of the best acting tied to horrific writing, especially the kid. I was blown away by her. But then the same movie has another actress who's sole responsibility is to espouse exposition to make sure you understand what just happened.

I think a film student could do their thesis on that movie.

I saw Night Swim and Imaginary on the same weekend last month and I'm still surprised at/thinking about the amount of lore each had, way more than the plot or quality of either deserved

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

I saw Night Swim and Imaginary on the same weekend last month and I'm still surprised at/thinking about the amount of lore each had, way more than the plot or quality of either deserved

Night Swim struck me as

Writer - "I have a really good idea for a 10 minute short!"

Executive - "Great, we need a new script for a 2 hour feature film"

Writer - "...but"

Executive - "2. Hours."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

Night Swim struck me as

Writer - "I have a really good idea for a 10 minute short!"

Executive - "Great, we need a new script for a 2 hour feature film"

Writer - "...but"

Executive - "2. Hours."

The director made a 5 minute short of it (in Michelle Branch's backyard) a decade ago!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

chucky was right about dead silence

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

The director made a 5 minute short of it (in Michelle Branch's backyard) a decade ago!

Whoops yeah I knew that. Some scary shorts do not need to be made into full movies. See also The Cellar.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Medullah posted:

Whoops yeah I knew that. Some scary shorts do not need to be made into full movies. See also The Cellar Skinamarink

Ftfy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skinamarink’s short was too loving long to be a short

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

skinmarink is an overindulgent indie film and thats why its good, bitch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh I have no hate. I don’t like it but I respect it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

chucky was right about dead silence

I’ll go to bat for that movie, it knows it’s ridiculous which is why it can try something so over the top like two back to back eyeball reflection transitions in a row.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Oh I have no hate

Ive got enough for both of us

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Late Night with the Devil is great.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Dare was never going to be a good movie, it was always destined to be a DTV SAW ripoff. But the depths to just how loving stupid it is, is honestly a little shocking and I'm kind of impressed no one called out the Writer/Director on any of the stupidity in play.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Last night I did a double feature of Assault on Precinct 13 and Cemetery Man and let me tell you that was a drat good way to spend my evening. I was surprised at how nuanced Assault on Precinct 13 was, and how lean and tightly-paced was too. For a movie clearly paying tribute to Night Of The Living Dead it still felt fresh and I think a lot of that has to do with how hopeful it is (though it did NOT gently caress around with the deaths). Awesome stuff.

Cemetery Man was beautifully-directed and I'm amazed no one's tried to make a TV show based on it. I'd watch the poo poo out of something like that. Amazing concept that would make for some killer longform viewing.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Cemetery Man was beautifully-directed and I'm amazed no one's tried to make a TV show based on it. I'd watch the poo poo out of something like that. Amazing concept that would make for some killer longform viewing.

That movie was on bravo all the time in the late 90s early 2000s. Loved it then, but haven't seen it since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

Same. There's a good documentary about him called An Honest Liar that you should check out if you haven't seen it.