Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

DreamingofRoses posted:

AITA for celebrating the birth of my son in front of my sister?

This one's kind of sweet, in a way. I'm guessing the sister really didn't know how they'd react until it happened, and she didn't throw a tantrum or anything but removed herself from the situation as quickly as possible. OP empathizes and wants to do something to help. Nobody's demanded that the baby be kept out of her sight or anything. Hope they figure it out because oof that is tricky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Scathach posted:

No, I'm agreeing with the previously-posted fact that statistics have to be looked at more closely. As it was noted, a good portion of the people not using smartphones are people that don't want them, like the elderly. You can't just say 27 million US people don't have smartphones without looking at the reasons.

My mom got her first smartphone very late in life, only a few years before she died. By that point she had really bad crippling arthritis in basically every part of her body including her hands and fingers, and for a good while she couldn't use the touchscreen on it hardly at all because her fingers just couldn't work the buttons. Even after I tweaked the Accessibility options to make it easier for her to use, she still had to use Siri to make phone calls because she couldn't dial the numbers.

I mention this because I think when people talk about the subject of "Why don't more old people use smartphones?", the possibility of "Maybe because they physically CAN'T" gets ignored a lot more often than it should. Not every old person is like my mom, but I'd wager there's more of them who can't use smartphones due to some physical limitation than we realize.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

My mom got her first smartphone very late in life, only a few years before she died. By that point she had really bad crippling arthritis in basically every part of her body including her hands and fingers, and for a good while she couldn't use the touchscreen on it hardly at all because her fingers just couldn't work the buttons. Even after I tweaked the Accessibility options to make it easier for her to use, she still had to use Siri to make phone calls because she couldn't dial the numbers.

I mention this because I think when people talk about the subject of "Why don't more old people use smartphones?", the possibility of "Maybe because they physically CAN'T" gets ignored a lot more often than it should. Not every old person is like my mom, but I'd wager there's more of them who can't use smartphones due to some physical limitation than we realize.
Could she use a non-smartphone cellphone?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mentioning Mark Zuckerberg during sex warrants the death penalty.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mystes posted:

Could she use a non-smartphone cellphone?

No, not well.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I desperately need to know what worm music is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHliXVifhEM

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Mentioning Mark Zuckerberg during sex warrants the death penalty.

I'd build a guillotine for this, for sure. What a vibe-killer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

We have a word for this already and the word is "given." "Gifted" isn't shorter or easier to say. It makes it sound like the author never learned how to conjugate the verb. That's forgivable for the ESL posters, but it bugs me coming from the otherwise-fluent.

They're not synonymous. Compare:

"I was gifted a set of commemorative dishes."

"I was given Chlamydia."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Safety Dance posted:

"I was given Chlamydia."

Well thanks for spoiling my next white elephant exchange, I guess

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Safety Dance posted:

"I was given Chlamydia."

I was actually about to make this exact point.

Saying you've been gifted something specifies that what you received was a gift (or at least that you consider it as such). You can be given things that one would not consider a gift, like advice or gonorrhea.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

"I was given Chlamydia."

"I was gifted Chlamydia."

"I was given a set of commemorative dishes."

Yeah it's about the level of gratitude. I think.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Lieutenant Dan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtshsLOoMbM&t=1423s

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

feedmegin posted:

I'm sorry what? 8% of the US population is 26 million people, that's 'not a large amount' to you?! I'm pretty sure they aren't all living in the same holler in West Virginia.

22 million of them are under age 5 and have no business using a smartphone at a restaurant.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

CoffeeBoofer posted:

My husband won't let me take more than two showers a week. I told him I need him to stop or I'm moving out for a while.

This was a question years ago on Captain Awkward: #963: “My husband’s extreme environmental beliefs are a problem. How can I get him to give up this obsession?”

quote:

My husband has suffered depression for the past 15 years. It has taken many opportunities for a healthy and positive life from him in that time. He has gone back to school several times, trying to find his passion and came up dry every time. The last degree he got, he started at the age of 28 and as in mechanical engineering. He graduated at 31. He is from Europe and a culture which is very emotionally repressed. He moved to Canada to be with me. After a few months, he got a job using in engineering only to discover that it was not his passion either, despite being a natural problem solver and passionate about the workings of machines and systems.

He was a kind of non-actor for much of his life and the entirety of our relationship. All responsibilities of a couple fell to me; money, friends, planning for the future. All of this should have been red flags, but I come from an abusive home where I had to take on caregiving for my parents and siblings, so it came naturally to me to overcompensate. He said at one point that he didn’t want to worry about the future because he couldn’t be bothered.

In the first year of our marriage, he decided he wanted to switch careers again and move us to a farm where we could pursue self-sufficiency and work for ourselves. Neither of us has a background in farming or self-sufficiency, so he took six months out of his career to intern on an organic farm 200 km away while I continued to work so that we would be able to bu a farm. The farm wasn’t the best; it was very disorganised, and he always complained when I visited that the work was too hard. When he got back to the city, he took a temporary job as a waiter. During this time, I continually confronted him about his depression and seeking help. See, he didn’t understand that he was barely functional as an adult. He didn’t clean up after himself, didn’t cook for himself, didn’t manage his appointments or health. Again, that was all left to me to do for him. He went days without bathing or getting up from the couch. We used to have a joke about him changing from his “night jammies” into his “day jammies” and then back into his “night jammies.” Haha, I know, but I’m just a wife, not a psychiatrist. When he did pursue his interests, he didn’t engage. All of it looked like depression to me.

I begged him to address these issues, and upon threat of leaving, he finally did. His psychiatrist said he was one of the most emotionally repressed people she’d ever met and that he should try and address depression with medication and therapy. To his credit he did. His family was very harsh, particularly with regards to expressing emotion. He also went to a prestigious boarding school, where alumni graduate to run prominent corporations or hold political office (that’s why parents send their sons there), so I think he may have been taught that he was being set up to measure up to unattainable standards. In the years since his diagnosis, he has gone off his meds a few times without the guidance of a therapist or doctor because “he feels better and doesn’t need them anymore.” I told him that not even psychiatrists on antidepressants could make that decision for themselves, and he certainly isn’t able to either. Especially when every time he does go off them, he reverts to his depressed and helpless self.

Something that has always been a thread through his depression is a concern with environmental destruction and climate change. That is certainly one of the motivating factors with wanting to be self-sufficient. He and I do all that we can and has been suggested to reduce our carbon footprint: we’re vegan, we recycle, we cycle when we can, we don’t buy a lot of new stuff and always try to buy second-hand. We live rurally, but even then our cars are old, used and fuel efficient models. Where we live is in a housing bubble right now, so we rent a small house, but we have plots in the community garden. We hope to build an Earthship/sustainable house when things cool down and are learning about that now.

However, he is obsessed with conserving even more, to the extent that it is affecting his mental health and mine. If I fill the kettle up too much, even by half a cup of water, he’ll scold me for wasting energy. He refuses to believe that running a dishwasher is more water and energy efficient than hand-washing dishes, even though our energy efficient washer is far more efficient, many times over. He refuses to throw anything out, even if it’s broken or hasn’t ever been used because “that’s wasteful.”

Moreover, his concern about climate change never manifested as any activism nor action of any sort. He never raised money for environmental causes, nor went to marches or demonstrations before he met me. We have attended a few animal rights, and pro-immigration demonstrations, but those were from my research and at my request and it even took a lot of convincing to get his to those. In fact, for this all-consuming concern about climate and the environment, he doesn’t do much, except stay at home and be depressed. Which to me implies that it’s more about the “being depressed” than it is about the issue.

I think he has chosen these issues as a “load bearing depression repository” for him. Climate change and environmental destruction are these huge, complex issues that may take many years, if not our entire lifetimes to be resolved, if ever. They will always be there to feel lovely about, so if he claims that he is depressed about them, then he doesn’t have to face how he feels about himself.

I’m not discounting the seriousness of these issues, nor that they could be a factor in his depression. We should all be concerned and it *is* loving depressing, but his depression hurts both of us, and I refuse to let it take more away from him than it already has. I confronted him about this again, because it is having a detrimental effect on my mental health, but he assured me that “he knows his depression better now” and it’s not about that (he has also gone off his meds again independently).

Last time I told him that I couldn’t live with him obsessing over the kettle or the dishwasher and letting such small things affect our relationship. He says he will never be able to do that; he will always be concerned with it. He implies that when I overfill the kettle or use the washing machine to preshrink fabric *for the clothes I make myself* I am not concerned about these issues, which is complete bullshit. He says I gave him an ultimatum, which I did. But I have tried, Lord have I tried, to reason with him.

I struggled with anxiety for many years myself, but the delightful “generalised” kind, now with added panic attacks. I know that I will never “know my anxiety” enough to think I have it licked. Indeed, anytime I’ve had that thought, I’ve realised it’s a red flag to check in with what is really going on because a mental illness’ “job” is to separate us from those who care about us and will use any method possible to get us alone with it.

How can I help him see and give up his obsessions, which are ruining both of our lives?

Thanks,
Can’t Get Any Greener (female pronouns)

quote:

Dear Can’t Get Any Greener:

For the entirety of your marriage you have cooked and cleaned and financially supported and cajoled and begged and emotionally labored and thrown your life into upheaval so that your husband could get to the bottom of his depression and “find his passion.”

And now you can’t even do the loving dishes or make a kettle of tea without him criticizing how you do it. Strange how he has made his concern for the environment line up 100% with monitoring and controlling you to the point that he begrudges you every drop of water you use in your house.

You have already said everything, and tried everything and ended up here. You already know what you need to know about your husband. Whatever his good qualities, he is kind of a passive dude, bad at taking care of himself, and he exerts himself only under extreme pressure from you or when he can offload the effort and costs onto you. If love and loyalty and trying hard were enough to fix this, it would have been fixed already. You can care about people but you can’t do their caring for them.

If I knew a way to make him a) stop his selfish behaviors at home and b) engage more proactively in his own life, I would tell you. There is nothing to say. What could we say? Not everyone gets to follow their passions in life 100% of the time? Sometimes you just have to go to work and do your best by your family even when you’re not feeling it? Depression sucks and requires long-term boring maintenance and treatment and sometimes it will be bad and sometimes it will be better?Depression isn’t excuse to treat the people in your life like crap? There is more environmental activism on heaven and earth than the kind that maximally inconveniences and annoys your spouse?

If I knew the words that would help you leave him forever – to bathe or not bathe, as it pleases him, to work or not work, as it pleases him, to follow his passions as it pleases him, to put only the exact true one correct amount of water in the kettle – I would say them to you now. If this were a fairy tale, I would write the secret inside an enchanted mushroom and wrap it in a magic handkerchief that you could carry with you through the tasks and trials ahead.

We have 900+ posts on the site and probably half of them contain some variation this question (Praise Sheelzebub!):

If nothing changed about your relationship, and you knew it would stay just like it is now, how long would you stay?

1 more year?

5 more years?

10 more years?

How many more years can you pour into this man who pours so little back into you, who thinks even the water you consume would be better saved for “The Earth?” (as if you are not of the Earth and on the Earth, as if you are undeserving of water, as if he gets to decide that.)

You’re worried that he won’t make it without you, but he will. If you leave him, he will suffer for a while and try to get you to come save him and then he will loving figure it out. He will get some kind of job, or make some friends, or “live off the land.” He will find a shelter or a food bank or move back in with his parents. He found you, didn’t he? He will find someone else, somewhere else, and he will survive.

If you’re not there yet, or ever, that’s okay. You are the boss of you!

In the meantime, it’s time for a therapist…for you. Unpack the ways your parents groomed you to put up with this man. Unpack ways to separate his choices and behaviors from his illness. Treat your own anxiety with the seriousness and care that it deserves. (If he wants to get therapy, great, but put the energy you’d spend cajoling him there into going yourself.)

In the meantime, it’s also time to push back hard at his policing behaviors. “When you do the dishes, you can decide how to do them. When I’m washing them, back off.” “You are not the boss of the kettle.” “I don’t want to hear it.” “Your constant harping on me makes me feel bad. Stop it.”

He’ll be like “BUT DON’T YOU CARE ABOUT THE EARTH?” and you can say “I do care about The Earth and hey, that’s not a stick to beat me with. It’s not a competition and nobody designated you Chief Earth Carer in our house. Back off.”

Interrupt him. Shut it the gently caress down. You do not have to just take this.

And don’t try to dig into to his depression when you push back at him. As you point out, you’re not his psychiatrist, you’re his wife. And you’re not just his wife, you’re a loving human being who gets to exist in her own house without being constantly monitored and picked at. Address the behaviors. If he has sad feelings because you are standing up for yourself, those are his job to deal with. He cannot save the planet by controlling you. That’s not how any of this works!

When you’re ready, if you’re ready, the time for threatening to leave will be over. You tried that already, he rallied just enough to get you to stay, and then reverted to form. If you decide to leave, skip to the part where you say “I’m leaving you” and then do it.

To my eye, you have done everything you can humanly do to make your marriage work, and it’s actually working perfectly…for him…as long as you are willing to comply with his ridiculous requests and subject yourself to his control the next time he wants to find a new “passion” and make you pay and pay and pay and pay for it. It must have worked for you sometimes on some level or you wouldn’t have stayed so long. That’s okay! That doesn’t make his bad behavior your fault! Just, there’s a reason you included the entire history of his behaviors in your letter. You sound exhausted. The costs are adding up, and you are not a selfish person if you want to get as much from your marriage as you give.

Or, to put it another way, your selflessness will never fill up his empty places, but his selfishness can drain you dry. You deserve a happy life that isn’t dominated by this guy’s needs. You deserve a garden of your own, and enough water to nourish it.

I hate to think it might be the same person seven years later but it might be.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA if I get angry on my husband because he woke me up from my sleep?

Hey toots, don't forget to cut the crust off my sandwich like mommy does

This is in violation of the Geneva Convention .

Invisible Clergy posted:

But she can't just pull the nail out of her head!

Why won't anyone help her with this nail in her head?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4ujpEGgQLw

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kenshin posted:

"I was gifted Chlamydia."

Praise Nurgle!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Lieutenant Dan posted:

mystes posted:

WTF is worm music?

That's exactly what all the squares say. but we dont care. crank the worm music!

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITAH for not agreeing to serve non-vegan food at a vegan wedding?

quote:

I own a venue and restaurant that is often used for weddings, and a vegan street food truck, along with a few other venues.

Because of the vegan food truck and the fact the restaurant has a reputation for good vegan, and vegetarian food, we were booked to host and cater for a very large and prestigious wedding. All of the bride's family are vegan, and so are most of the couple's guests, but the groom's family are not.

The wedding is in May and last week the couple sent out a menu choices email to all the guests with the vegan menu listing the dishes they have chosen. The whole menu is vegan including the cake which I am baking myself.

To make sure everything is both Kosher and vegan we are deep cleaning the kitchen the day before and will be doing a special vegan night at the restaurant so there is no chance of any cross-contamination

Since the menu email was sent I have been approached about 10 times form different guests who have asked for non-vegan food i.e they want meat. I have refused because it's not my wedding to plan and this is what the couple want. I and my staff have in each case said no, and please talk to the couple.

We spoke to the wedding party last night and they are happy we said no and sent out an email to everyone saying it's vegan or nothing.

The groom's parents have since exploded on the phone about an hour ago at us for 'dobbing them in' and ruining their wedding because they didn't want anyone to know that they and their children had asked for no vegan food.

Since the call we've had loads of comments on our review sites about how our vegan food is crap and not really vegan. I'm having them taken down but am I the rear end in a top hat for not just giving them the food and keeping the peace?

TLDR: The wedding party want vegan, groom's parents don't, they want me to do meat for them and I said no.

Menu on arrival • Chickpea falafels with hummus or beetroot dip • Cauliflower buffalo bites • Vegan “mozzarella” sticks • Veggie sticks with bean dip • “Grazing boards” filled with nuts, dried fruit, flatbreads, vegan cheeses, and seeds (think charcuterie boards, but without the meat and dairy) • Vegetable rolls in rice paper • Risotto balls • Sweet potato fries

First course: • Massaged kale salad with avocado and lime dressing • Heirloom tomato salad • Gazpacho • Thai coconut soup

Entrée: • Zucchini noodle pasta and lentil-mushroom “meatballs” • Eggplant parmesan (with nut-based cheese) • Stuffed acorn squash with cranberry sauce (great for fall or winter weddings) • Grilled veggie tacos with avocado, salsa, and vegan queso • Mushroom-quinoa burger with sweet potato fries

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I intend to go to my grave having never learned what worm music is.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

trickybiscuits posted:

This was a question years ago on Captain Awkward: #963: “My husband’s extreme environmental beliefs are a problem. How can I get him to give up this obsession?”

I hate to think it might be the same person seven years later but it might be.

nah that guy sounds like he’d be firmly in “showers are too wasteful, you can make do with a sponging once a week” territory

also lol that he insists an automatic dishwasher can’t be more efficient. he’s not actually worried about wasting water, he just wants to wallow in misery and drag everyone around him down too

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Not vegan but this family is crazy, chickpea falafels sound great. Like 90% of that menu sounds amazing.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pomme de Terror posted:

One time I was in the break room at work listening to one of my co-workers rant about how bad and stupid vegan food was, while eating an apple.

He did not respond well to me pointing out that the apple he was eating was technically vegan food.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Since Dr. Worm was already posted, the only other thing worm music calls to mind for me.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ArchRanger posted:

Not vegan but this family is crazy, chickpea falafels sound great. Like 90% of that menu sounds amazing.

One time, my wife and I took her mother out to a relatively nice Italian restaurant in the city - since she's from rural Alabama and has hardly tried anything.

MIL (to my wife): What are you getting?
Wife: The gnocchi. It's filled with spinach and ricotta.
MIL: Okay I'll get that too.

Food arrives. Wife and I are enjoying food. MIL makes a dissatisfied face. "There's no meat in this?!"

Some people cannot fathom having a meal without meat.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Moon Slayer posted:

I intend to go to my grave having never learned what worm music is.

Ironic, it's my life's work to make you listen to it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Biplane posted:

Ironic, it's my life's work to make you listen to it.

Now, now Moon Slayer, screaming will get you nowhere. This is a scientific book, and in science we must be very specific. I'm now going to raise the worm music volume to two, and I want you to be very honest as to your experiences.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ArchRanger posted:

Yeah, it looks like a good variety of dishes and there should be something for everyone, except people who insist that they can't go a single meal without meat. I've never eaten most of the stuff on that list and would probably try all of except the mushroom stuff.

Odds the groom's family will try to sneak in McDonald's?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most of those people don't actually have any real taste, it's all just performative bullshit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I swear we got closure on that one. It wasn’t anything memorable, not anything to do with actual worms and a theremin or anything. Maybe music that made the guy want to lounge on the sofa like a worm?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8&t=120s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cloacamazing! posted:

You do risk an endless line of relatives and acquaintances trying to sell you this all-natural supplement that totally worked for their cousin's best friend's aunt who thought she was infertile and now she has octuplets

That's when you say, "Thanks, but we'll stick with using cum."

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Safety Dance posted:

"I was given Chlamydia."

i have fallen chlamydia'd

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People get loving weird about vegan food.

I had an employee who was leaving because he had to move and he was vegan, customarily when someone is leaving on good terms I buy lunch for the entire team. For him I bought lunch from a vegan restaurant. He and 2 other people on the team are Hindu and vegan. Another guy is Muslim and often eats vegan because it is easier to get food that meets halal standards. But I had like three or four people complaining to me that they couldn't eat vegan food. I'm like "Look at the menu! This is French fries! This is green beans! This is a chocolate chip cookie! This is roast cauliflower with seasoning!" Like there was so much stuff on there they literally eat all the time but they refuse because it is labeled vegan.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Also in the case of that story they could be serving the worst began slop in the world and they still wouldn't be the rear end in a top hat, literally all they're doing is what the person paying them to do wanted.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

French Fries exist in a superposition of vegan/not vegan, depending if they're served with "real food" (meat) or on their own (snack), or alongside other vegan food (woke).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kurieg posted:

another goodie from the last thread
AITA for not opening a Christmas Present?

This gift giver is a straight up monster.

He intentionally makes his gifts dangerous, and dangerous enough to cause injury. And has done so repeatedly over many years.

That is bad enough, but he does so in specific, elaborate ways to gently caress with a disabled person based specifically on their specific disability.

And the "you have to pay us back for the gift we gave you" cousin is just as bad or worse.

Husbands suggestion of going NC doesn't go far enough. This fuckwit needs to be bear-trapped.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bobstar posted:

French Fries exist in a superposition of vegan/not vegan, depending if they're served with "real food" (meat) or on their own (snack), or alongside other vegan food (woke).

Also what fat they are fried in.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also what fat they are fried in.

Yeah, my ex was vegan and I remember it was a huuuuge deal when McDonald's changed their fries because it meant she could actually eat the fries there

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hey fuckos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuQhkMdYGhw

remembertorelax
Aug 16, 2023

trickybiscuits posted:

Anytime a story touches on ridiculous expectations on how to do things, I feel like I have to spend a lot of extra time thinking through whether their complaints make sense. In my life, it's been so much more common to see people build a case about how their partner is controlling when the partner just has reasonable expectations for adulting, like "we should probably put trash in the trash can" or "if you make a mess in a shared space, you should clean it up".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

"Hey hon, uh, if you're up for it, uh, there's something I wanna try in the bedroom tonight. Nothing gross, I promise!"