Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Sindai posted:

I think since the buff fire breaker is better than S&P even if you have the DoT bug, so there's no reason to use it unfortunately. Needs another pass.
I decided to do a small test informally and I want to say that the S&P holds its range better than the incendiary? Felt like I had an easier time popping heads at further out with the S&P. Mind you I'll caveat this with 1) the testing was super informal, with me just dropping into a low difficulty exterminate and shooting bugs, 2) I was solo so I was still getting fire DoT damage, and 3) "holds its range" is relative because the S&P falls-off incredibly quickly, and the incendiary does more damage per shot so it's probably even closer than what I witnessed.

Incendiary is definitely better if your DoTs work though, no doubt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Even after its buff and the breakers nerf the SnP has never felt good to me. It's a breaker with double the ammo but it also requires at least double the shots to kill the same targets. Just use the breaker instead.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

they shouldn't have nerfed its mag size, its whole thing should just be never letting go of dat trigger

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I feel like the breaker nerf was a similar but much lesser version of the railgun nerf. The railgun came alongside with changing how some enemy armor worked so that two fold change really dumpstered it. The breaker is still entirely useable but nerfing it's range and it's mag size feels pretty bad. It doesn't even need to be brought back up to it's previous mag size but some sort of ammo buff while keeping the range nerf feels like the right move to me. As is it's still really good up close but you will run out of ammo using it as intended.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They really need to either walk back the railgun nerf or do something else to improve it, because in its current state literally nobody uses it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I use it sometimes in conjunction with the ballistic shield against bots.

I swear the discovery of how explosive resist light armor lets me survive an unsafe railgun detonation is entirely unrelated.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FunkyFjord posted:

I feel like the breaker nerf was a similar but much lesser version of the railgun nerf. The railgun came alongside with changing how some enemy armor worked so that two fold change really dumpstered it. The breaker is still entirely useable but nerfing it's range and it's mag size feels pretty bad. It doesn't even need to be brought back up to it's previous mag size but some sort of ammo buff while keeping the range nerf feels like the right move to me. As is it's still really good up close but you will run out of ammo using it as intended.
They didn't touch the Breaker's range though; it was the mag size and recoil

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd say just get rid of safe mode entirely and make unsafe the default but also get rid of the whole "overcharging makes the railgun explode" thing, sure that arguably makes it a more "boring" gun but the possibility of dying horribly from using it in order for it to have any effectiveness is more than anything the main reason I don't bother with it and I imagine a lot of people would agree with me on that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What the railgun should be imo, without being a major rework. Safe mode: kill a medium enemy or lower in a single shot. Unsafe mode: kill a heavy in 2, but maybe give it less ammo in reserve?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Make the railgun even more like an old timey musket and let it create a small smoke effect in front of you each time you shoot. The more you charge the bigger the smoke. Let's see the bots shoot me now.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The railgun was a primary weapon in the first game so it's confusing why they decided it should have been a support weapon in this one.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think conceptually the current railgun is just bad because it doesn't come with the teamplay complications that the other guns do. The quasar is more interesting because it has the "put it away and wait for it to cool down" mechanic, the AC is interesting for the explosions and the weird reload management, EATs is interesting because everyone can use it. The AMR forces you to ADS. With the railgun once you master the charge it's just a pinpoint accurate kill button with no downsides apart from pure stats. If the railgun is good, then it's boring good, so it being good directly harms the game. Every player that switches away from the quasar or the EATs to a railgun is reducing the dynamism and visual flair of the game. Boring-but-effective is actually worse for the game than "useless".

If they want to unnerf the railgun they need a pretty radical rethink. Like, I dunno, make it only strip armour without doing damage, so you need someone else to attack. Make it throw the shooter off their feet. Or make it the ammo hoggiest of ammo hogs. Stuff like that.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 20, 2024

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

There's a couple of weapons I don't understand why they're stratagems, one is the laser "cannon" the other is stalwart.

It seems like they've tried to make the stratagems weapons primarily tools to deal with armour or frustrating enemies. Stalwart is just a big liberator, and the laser is just a big laser. I really dont know why they're not primaries.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your support weapon doesn't have to be anti-heavy. Stalwart pairs decently with something like the eruptor, or the AC sentry, or if you want to run and gun and focus purely on dealing with hunters etc.

The laser cannon is a shoot-robots-in-the-eye tool.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Mordja posted:

What the railgun should be imo, without being a major rework. Safe mode: kill a medium enemy or lower in a single shot. Unsafe mode: kill a heavy in 2, but maybe give it less ammo in reserve?

Fangz posted:

If they want to unnerf the railgun they need a pretty radical rethink. Like, I dunno, make it only strip armour without doing damage, so you need someone else to attack. Make it throw the shooter off their feet. Or make it the ammo hoggiest of ammo hogs. Stuff like that.

Hear me out: space musket with very high/infinite pierce. It's a railgun, so keep the damage and ammo profile similar to what it is, but make it reward positioning so you can take out lines of medium/small units due to piercing shots. Wont give its back its pure anti armor snipe like it had before (but we have lots of options for that now between RR/EAT/Spear/Quasar as well as AC and AMR), but make it occupy a different niche other than the either pure sniper or high explosive options?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The laser cannon is very much a support weapon. It has the same medium+ armor pen as the AC, AMR, and HMG and is for the most part useful in the same situations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Fangz posted:

Your support weapon doesn't have to be anti-heavy. Stalwart pairs decently with something like the eruptor, or the AC sentry, or if you want to run and gun and focus purely on dealing with hunters etc.

The laser cannon is a shoot-robots-in-the-eye tool.

The problem is on bugs you really need either the quasar, EAT, or recoilless to take out chargers and BTs, there's nothing else that can do it fast and reliably with more or less constant uptime. It limits your options a lot, I can just never see being able to take something like the stalwart unless I had as primary that could take out heavy armour. Same with bots in that the AC is just head and shoulders the most efficient unless you really need a backpack.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sindai posted:

The laser cannon is very much a support weapon. It has the same medium+ armor pen as the AC, AMR, and HMG and is for the most part useful in the same situations.

Wait what? It has armour pen? I genuinely didn't know this. It's always seemed kind of lacklustre but thinking about it that's probably because I was using it against bugs where the medium armour pen isnt as important.

Agreed on the stalwart and other machine guns, they're good. But the lack of primary options to offset it kinda sucks. Erupter is probably the best choice, slugger is... Okay, scorcher isn't bad but relies on its splash and the DMRs are.... DMRs...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The problem is on bugs you really need either the quasar, EAT, or recoilless to take out chargers and BTs, there's nothing else that can do it fast and reliably with more or less constant uptime. It limits your options a lot, I can just never see being able to take something like the stalwart unless I had as primary that could take out heavy armour. Same with bots in that the AC is just head and shoulders the most efficient unless you really need a backpack.

You have the rest of your squad.

You don't need *everyone* on anti-heavy. That's a recipe for a buttfucking by hunters, berserkers, or jetpack assault raiders. If you have a stalwart you can always grab an EATs dropped by someone else, anyway.

Also if I am going off on my own to stealth an objective, heavy enemies are usually less of a threat than light enemies that can keep up with me.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 20, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Yeah Chargers are the main sticking point against doing a build that doesn't include a heavy anti-armor support weapon* when doing Bugs, with Bots it's less of an issue since their heavies are pretty much all either slow enough to use an Eagle or Orbital to handle or have weakspots that a medium penetration weapon can handle

Basically Chargers are a lot easier to deal with than they used to be but they're still honestly kind of a badly designed enemy when it comes to encouraging build variety for players, they would probably need to like make the butt a lot more squishy or something to fix that but that brings its own problems

*well or the Flamethrower

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Wait what? It has armour pen? I genuinely didn't know this. It's always seemed kind of lacklustre but thinking about it that's probably because I was using it against bugs where the medium armour pen isnt as important.

Agreed on the stalwart and other machine guns, they're good. But the lack of primary options to offset it kinda sucks. Erupter is probably the best choice, slugger is... Okay, scorcher isn't bad but relies on its splash and the DMRs are.... DMRs...

The shoulder mounted murder beam has enough armor pen to kill Goliaths from the front. It takes a bit of work because you have to hold it on the mailslot of their faceplate for 2-3 seconds but it can be done.

I recommend crouching or going prone if you have the time and space to do so: it reduces the sway considerably. If the beam isn't bouncing off, you're hitting it right.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Insert name here posted:

They didn't touch the Breaker's range though; it was the mag size and recoil

Huh, I remember thinking that it's range also got nerfed at the same time. Maybe it really is just the much smaller magazine that put me off from using it. I'll have to go back to it. I finally got around to playing with the Incendiary Breaker and I like it but tbh I think I still prefer the Slugger and Punisher against both bots and bugs.

Anyway. I feel like if the Stalwart were a primary it would instantly be one of the better primaries in the game. All of the machine guns pair really really well with primaries that don't serve as quick and steady bullet hoses that clear out trash. I run Stalwart and the default MG with the Eruptor all the time and they're great for when things get too close like hunters and every small bug or a sudden swarm of berserkers. You really want orbital railcannon or EATs to run along with this though because without them you are pretty much relying on your team mates for titans and walking factories, and you have to position to do good work against hulks and chargers. If you could run Stalwart alongside any of the other support weapons that would be pretty drat strong.

As for the Railgun I still don't know. They could give it infinite punch through and revert it back to single shotting a lot of the heavies and massively dump it's total ammo. But even at three or five total shots that makes it a really good alterantive to the RR or Spear and would EATs the only other more attractive option because you can reliably get more shots out of them when needed without having to find ammo, not that that is much of a problem. Maybe instead of all of that they could make it so shooting a small or medium enemy causes them to explode backward so violently that they become a conical explosion that damages any other enemies behind them. It's in a weird spot because it for sure needs a buff but if it just does the same thing as all of our rockets but better then we're back to why it needed a nerf in the first place.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make railgun weaken armor like thermites supposedly do

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Heat rounds for the liberator (high explosive anti terminid)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone else here who hasn't had a Brasch Tactics video play on their ship in like at least a month?

Me neither! I assumed they only play at low levels or something?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, that has no effect on it. It's just that other stuff like the news has been playing in recent patches.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Does anyone else have a consistent issue with being randomly taken out of zoomed in view with pretty much every weapon? I can't seem to hold the zoomed in view without the game randomly forcing me back into 3rd person mode, sometimes spastically.

Part of me thinks maybe my right mouse button is giving out but I've only ever noticed it in this game.

Do you have some doubled-up inputs? The game does not warn you in the controls if you assign a button to more than one thing.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Fangz posted:

You don't need *everyone* on anti-heavy. That's a recipe for a buttfucking by hunters, berserkers, or jetpack assault raiders. If you have a stalwart you can always grab an EATs dropped by someone else, anyway.

Also if I am going off on my own to stealth an objective, heavy enemies are usually less of a threat than light enemies that can keep up with me.

Laser dog, redeemer, and eruptor handle any trash just fine. Even when I'm playing with friends and not randos I don't ever want to be in a situation where I have to run away from a bile titan with no way to kill it. On 8s and above it's much better if everyone can handle anything. Bots I can take autocannon so I barely have to use my airstrikes, but bugs I just can't justify not taking the quasar.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Flamethrowers take out chargers and chaff, and if at least 2 teammates have a 500 or orbital rail cannon plus a quasar/spear/whatever you can handle bile titans. Embrace the god of fire and call down incendiary mines followed by a napalm strike followed by incendiary grenades then start laughing maniacally as you empty your flamethrower.

Just remember to dive if you get singed!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

The laserdog can honestly handle most trash nearly by itself, especially with an Eruptor.

Eruptor/redeemer/stuns + Quasar/laserdog/orbital rail/500kgs has been doing me very well against bugs. Definitely more of my deaths are from friendly fire (including the drone) than anything else. The main loadout can handle anything up to chargers pretty handily if you're willing to give ground and the call-ins let you easily take on several chargers or bile titans. If you needed a way to take on more groups or were more consistent with 500s against titans than i am, you could swap the orbital rail for something like airburst and then you wouldn't even need to give ground against swarms if you didn't want to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The autocannon is too efficient against bile spewers and other medium bugs for me to justify keeping it on the Super Destroyer. I use an orbital railcannon to delete/cripple Bile Titans/Chargers, and Eagle Airstrikes and/or my AC turret to wear them down while the railcannon is on cooldown and my teammates are otherwise occupied.

The recoilless rifle is pretty necessary on defence missions, though, where Chargers and Titans are both numerous and extremely dangerous, and static defences like turrets and minefields can handle the light/medium hordes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A railcannon to me really needs to sell its power. Like yeah, it was cool in Eraser when Schwarzenegger was dual-wielding them for a scene but in Helldivers it should go through anything but it should come with locked down movement. Perhaps it would have a Quasar-like charge-up but you also have to kneel to fire it (and to get a target reticule), lest you ragdoll backwards after the shot.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I’m so incredibly bad at placing the Autocannon turret. But I bought the level 3 upgrade with lubricant and it’s a murder machine.

60% of the time I bounce the ball somewhere stupid, or a charger immediately deletes the turret, or it does nothing except shoot my teammates and they kill it.

But 40% of the time it deletes entire bug breaches, multiple bile titans, multiple chargers.

I love it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Ever since they nerfed stun nades vs. titans it feels like the trick for 500s is to bait out animations or aggro. I’ve had the most luck basically playing rodeo with them almost like you would with a charger. Run right up to it, if it starts to spit drop it a bit in front and run back the way you came, otherwise drop it right underneath and run through it’s legs and hope you bait out a stomp attack. If it’s in the distance pathing in to your team you need to lead it and hope it doesn’t change aggro and need to give it s bit more of a lead than you think.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
lol c'mon

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I like how the supply lines were quietly updated so that the bots can threaten to take back Malevelon Creek while we're bogged down defending other planets.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hogama posted:

I like how the supply lines were quietly updated so that the bots can threaten to take back Malevelon Creek while we're bogged down defending other planets.

Why isn’t this info available in game? This is more rhetorical. But they also have that thing like Discord info from regarding the taking of Martale.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The Martale thing feels like it could be delivered as part of an in-game announcement but the supply lines thing feels like it'll be added eventually and is a facet of how much bigger this game is than they originally thought.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Do you have some doubled-up inputs? The game does not warn you in the controls if you assign a button to more than one thing.

As in, is right mouse button bound to do anything else as well? Hmm, I will double check but I don't think so.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

i'm still waiting for the ability to unbind inputs on ps5 lol. as it is I have left d pad set to push to talk, so I try to be quiet while I'm inputting strategems