Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Annath posted:

I'd imagine you need to install the vanilla game on the Deck first, to make it create the necessary Proton prefix.

I would do this first. And anyone doing mod-poo poo for any game should download Protontricks so that you can run .exe's within that game's prefix and more easily jack with the files in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've got a modded to the gills version of Battletech running on my deck now.

Are you playing it with a KB+M or did you find a controller mod? Battletech is one of those games I thought I just couldn't play on the deck due to no controller support.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

boxen posted:

Are you playing it with a KB+M or did you find a controller mod? Battletech is one of those games I thought I just couldn't play on the deck due to no controller support.

It's got a pretty decent community profile. It has for a while - I played it pretty OK with a steam controller when it released if I wanted to kick back on the couch.

It's not perfect and it's got a touch of jank, but it works well enough if you're used to how the game plays. Standard caveats about probably starting your game on PC just to get through naming your dude etc. with a proper keyboard.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

boxen posted:

My friend download steam input controller schemes for the games, or make one if there's not one. EVERYTHING is playable on the deck. I'm playing Silent Hunter 3, a submarine sim from 200-fuckin-5 very successfully on this thing.

For Battletech, the Steam Controller scheme "WIP Battletech Layout" is extremely popular and feature complete.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Standard caveats about probably starting your game on PC just to get through naming your dude etc. with a proper keyboard.

Counter, the touchscreen keyboard works perfectly fine to type "Buttlord" in a single field.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Necrothatcher posted:

Echoing that my OLED screen (purchased two months ago) is pristine in dark scenes. If there ever was a problem it seems to have been solved.

I have a bunch of traveling to do this year so.. gently caress it. I bought the 1TB OLED. :toot: We'll see how it goes considering how picky I can be.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Take 2 on modding my fallout install, currently watching Konsole run through a pacman-key refresh-all because half the things I'm trying to install are giving bad trustdb checks.. didn't realize it was going to take this long to run haha

I also got hash check errors when I was using Winetricks to install the visual c++ redistributables, but it looks like they installed fine.. 🤞🏻

Still need to do some searching on my no haptics/rumble issue but I want to get FO3 working first :mad:

Also kinda wishing I had waited because of course they came out with an OLED deck later :argh: how much and how arduous is it to just upgrade the screen? :ohdear:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 19, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Boar It posted:

I have a bunch of traveling to do this year so.. gently caress it. I bought the 1TB OLED. :toot: We'll see how it goes considering how picky I can be.

There's no graininess whatsoever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tenkaris posted:

Take 2 on modding my fallout install, currently watching Konsole run through a pacman-key refresh-all because half the things I'm trying to install are giving bad trustdb checks.. didn't realize it was going to take this long to run haha

I also got hash check errors when I was using Winetricks to install the visual c++ redistributables, but it looks like they installed fine.. 🤞🏻

Still need to do some searching on my no haptics/rumble issue but I want to get FO3 working first :mad:

Also kinda wishing I had waited because of course they came out with an OLED deck later :argh: how much and how arduous is it to just upgrade the screen? :ohdear:

The screens aren’t interchangeable because they’ve rearranged the guts of the device along with the refresh, and even if they were they’re glued into the front half of the shell so it’s a loving pain in the rear end by any measure.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

The screens aren’t interchangeable because they’ve rearranged the guts of the device along with the refresh, and even if they were they’re glued into the front half of the shell so it’s a loving pain in the rear end by any measure.

:smith: Goddddd drat it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
So my x button just stopped working completely after a year and a half. How hosed am I?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So my x button just stopped working completely after a year and a half. How hosed am I?

Hard to say: doesn’t seem like you can buy a replacement board for that l from ifixit, but it’s probably worth cracking open and checking all the connections are secure, if the little rubber membrane is torn for the button pads (that you can get a replacement for, at least) etc.

So really depends on where the failure is. If all else fails you could open a ticket with Steam - sometimes you’ll get lucky and they’ll just warranty it anyway, or at least set up a repair.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I notice that for most games when playing with Steam decks screen resolution (1280x800) instead of showing more space on top and bottom than you would see in 16:9 ratio it instead zooms in and you see less space on left and right. Is this normal? Or is there an issue with my settings?

I’ve been playing most games at 16:9 ratio because of it

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 19, 2024

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

To illustrate how great Steam Input can be for old, controller-less games (and because I'm proud of it), here's my final binding scheme for Silent Hunter 3:

Mapping long-presses and double-presses effectively triples the number of inputs without even thinking about more complex poo poo like Action Layers or Button Chords. Then it was a matter of playing the game, experimenting with command groupings, and trying to make it feel "natural."

Up/down/level and hard left/hard right/straighten out made sense on the d-pad since they're directions and Left trackpad's about speed, so I've got all movement boxed in the blue. Anything related to the cameras and periscopes went on the sticks in teal/green. Attack-related stuff that you do while looking through a scope fit together on the face buttons, in red. Switching between menus and game screens, in yellow. Time compression controls are right at hand on the back buttons, since you spend a lot of game time moving around the Atlantic ocean (orange.) Ctrl and shift get used a lot to speed or slow the camera, so those are also at hand.

When I was missing double-presses on the sticks since they're big slow buttons to hit twice in rapid succession, I lengthened the amount of time a double-press was accepted. I kept accidentally launching torpedoes while firing the deck gun, so I stretched that long-press into a full second hold. The circular shape of a submarine's speed control made it a good fit for a radial touch menu, I put everything speed-related on the left trackpad. Since speed=noise, a center-press on the trackpad made sense for rigging silent running. I got tired of tapping the L1/R1s multiple times to zoom in, so they have 'turbo' enabled and repeats every 200ms. Same with the time compression buttons - you'll be cruising along, the time compression drops to 1x because somebody spots a fishing boat, and pressing it 10 times to jump back up to 1024x for cruising over 20 hours of play was giving me a no-poo poo repetitive motion injury.

---

I love it. The flexibility you have to correct, change, and improve controls for your own use is hands-down my favorite feature of Steam (since this isn't just a Deck thing). It doesn't have to be this complex - hell, if you hate stick-clicking, even something as simple as moving L3/R3 to the buttons on the back is a QoL improvement that they make so easy to do. But making your own scheme isn't hard - these are all just keyboard and mouse buttons. And if you're willing to go further by labeling the inputs, giving a sensible description, and sharing the scheme with the community, you're doing the lord's work.

bunnyofdoom posted:

The R1 bumper on my LED Deck broke at like 14 months - I contacted Steam Support, and they did a "good-will" extension of the limited warranty for me. I can't say if they'd do the same here, but it's absolutely worth asking.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 20, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:stare:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really got annoyed with, I think it was Pete Hines, who was talking about Baldur's Gate 3 and how he doesn't think the approach of "cutting off areas of the game due to player choices" is a way to get players to see everything, because he personally wouldn't play through a game a few times.

Big ol :lol: as every BG3 player I know personally is in their umpteenth playthrough. That's exactly HOW you get people to put more ours into it.

My dude.... Larian trounced everyone when BG3 got compared to literally every game, especially Starfield, because choices that matter are actually what most players want.

I still hate how I can do EVERYTHING in Skyrim, no matter what. I legit, no lie, appreciated being kicked out of a temple in Daggerfall because of my social standing or allegiances or whatever. It made my experience more difficult, but more meaningful.

My first dark souls play through I killed all the NPCs.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rolo posted:

My first dark souls play through I killed all the NPCs.

My first dark souls playthrough I killed the PC. Many times.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Squiggle posted:

- hell, if you hate stick-clicking, even something as simple as moving L3/R3 to the buttons on the back is a QoL improvement that they make so easy to do.

God yes. I do this on all my games and it’s gotten to the point that I get annoyed as gently caress when I remember I can’t do it on the PS.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Well I found out the tweak available in New Vegas that allows you to use keyboard and mouse and controller simultaneously doesn't play so nice with FO3, so it's not available, but apparently you can get it working if you set up TTW.

So I've scrubbed everything and I'm just going to do the install and set up The Twin Wastelands on my PC save then just copy the files over method because man even with a keyboard and mouse futzing around with Linux in desktop mode is draining.

I told my PC to get to downloading both games so I can get to work in the morning :D

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really got annoyed with, I think it was Pete Hines, who was talking about Baldur's Gate 3 and how he doesn't think the approach of "cutting off areas of the game due to player choices" is a way to get players to see everything, because he personally wouldn't play through a game a few times.

Big ol :lol: as every BG3 player I know personally is in their umpteenth playthrough. That's exactly HOW you get people to put more ours into it.

My dude.... Larian trounced everyone when BG3 got compared to literally every game, especially Starfield, because choices that matter are actually what most players want.

I still hate how I can do EVERYTHING in Skyrim, no matter what. I legit, no lie, appreciated being kicked out of a temple in Daggerfall because of my social standing or allegiances or whatever. It made my experience more difficult, but more meaningful.

This has been a big debate since, like, at least the original Deus Ex. A ton of designers started writing a ton of very thinky think pieces about how it's bad to gate any part of a game and every playthrough should be a 100% playthrough and that's pretty much the approach that won that argument for most AAA games.

And anyway now a ton of developers are whining because a game didn't do that and it was still successful.

edit- To be clear, this was always a financial argument couched in design terms. If you prevent players from seeing content on a single playthrough, you're potentially spending money to create content that some portion of your playerbase will never see. There's annoyance from certain circles with BG3 because BG3's approach is clearly harder and more expensive and reigniting this debate can shift player expectations for AAA games.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 20, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's just the money people being in charge of big game companies. Games are a unique medium in all kinds of ways we're still discovering. Money people want lowest risk and highest margin.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

For anyone else who was interested in No Rest for the Wicked, the devs claim that it would run day one on Deck was only true in the most technical sense. It does boot up, but at the lowest settings with 50% resolution scaling it's still a pretty choppy experience. It can sometimes get into the 30-40fps range, but it more frequently drops to low 20s and occasionally hangs out in the low teens. Looks like a potato with those settings too.

I imagine they'll optimize it better down the line, but the twitter statement was very misleading. Best to wait if you'll only play on Deck.

I read the reviews and held off for now. Doesn't seem to be in an all that great state. Plus some weird gameplay decisions, item durability being one of the big issues.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

SynchThing. I just set it up myself and it's finally a way of doing this that is simple enough for a moron like me. Install the client on your PC, point it to your game directory as a folder to sync, set it up on your deck in desktop mode, point the two computers at each other, and set the deck's install directory as a folder to sync. Set the PC version to be the master so that the deck one gets overwritten and you're good. I've got a modded to the gills version of Battletech running on my deck now.

Thank you for this.

I haven't finished modding it quite yet, but it seems like I might be soon.

Hopefully I will be able to do this if the VNV continues to go smoothly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

This has been a big debate since, like, at least the original Deus Ex. A ton of designers started writing a ton of very thinky think pieces about how it's bad to gate any part of a game and every playthrough should be a 100% playthrough and that's pretty much the approach that won that argument for most AAA games.

And anyway now a ton of developers are whining because a game didn't do that and it was still successful.

See also that incredible meltdown when Elden Ring came out and certain developers went "what do you mean people don't want a bland paste of objective markers? Yes they do!".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

See also that incredible meltdown when Elden Ring came out and certain developers went "what do you mean people don't want a bland paste of objective markers? Yes they do!".

Wasn't there that one grumpy Horizon Forbidden West dev complaining that Elden Ring getting rave reviews across the board proves that critics don't understand Game UX and quest design?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 20, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dunno

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Wasn't there that one grumpy Horizon Forbidden West dev complaining that Elden Ring getting rave reviews across the board proves that critics don't understand Game UX and quest design?

Yeah, that's the one. Just absolutely mystified that this style of gameplay that dominated gaming discourse for a full decade might be appealing to some people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like how I can do everything in Skyrim tbh. My choices mattering in a video game is pretty low on my priorities tbh. My choices matter in reality, it's nice to just be able to play through every quest line sometimes without having to keep track of multiple saves and playthroughs even if it doesn't make that much sense.

Witcher 3 I think is a decent balance. I feel like choices you made there did have effects on the plot but also didn't really lock you out of any gameplay opportunities.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I really liked Josh Sawyer's presentation on Choice & Consequence, its from 2017

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4OxNfzTvU

one thing I like in Baldur's Gate 3 is while you can merc important plot characters early, locking you out of Content™, it's never presented as a terrible thing. there's always an extremely weird enthusiasm throughout the entire game, even when you're bringing about the apocalypse.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a way to force Steam to not update Fallout 4 when that update is released?

I thought there was supposed to be a "do not update this game" option under "properties>updates", but I only see "always keep up to date", "update only when launched" and "update immediately".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Annath posted:

Is there a way to force Steam to not update Fallout 4 when that update is released?

I thought there was supposed to be a "do not update this game" option under "properties>updates", but I only see "always keep up to date", "update only when launched" and "update immediately".

Not any more, which is annoying as gently caress.

That said a lot of games offer you the ability to specifically set the version number. Check under betas, you may be able to select the previous version as an opt in beta.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've got to admit, as much as I loved Elden Ring yeah, I would have loving loved at least a basic quest log. If you don't want to give me markers, whatever, but it's a huge sprawling world and I only have time to play it for an hour or two a day. There is a very real risk that I'm going to forget that someone told me eight gameplay hours ago and five real life days ago that I needed to get the mcguffin out of the tower to do whatever the gently caress they wanted.

When I find myself playing your game with some nerd's website open in a secondary monitor yeah, there's some room for improvement.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not any more, which is annoying as gently caress.

That said a lot of games offer you the ability to specifically set the version number. Check under betas, you may be able to select the previous version as an opt in beta.

The update hasn't released yet, but there are no previous versions listed there so I doubt they'll let you do that.

I'm assuming all the changes are going to break all the mods, so it'd really be nice if I could just not apply it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Basically no.

There are a handful of fiddly workarounds you can use to try and avoid steam ever updating the game by staying in offline mode to try and run the game without it ever seeing that there’s an update possible, but as a general rule the whole system is designed to keep your games up to date under the assumption that updates are always better.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Here's what it looks like if it exists. Right click the title, select properties:

Paradox is really good about this, they seem to understand how important mods are and try their best to support their mod community with things like this. Bethesda, hilariously enough, seems to not give a gently caress about breaking mods all the drat time which is annoying as poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Paradoxish posted:

edit- To be clear, this was always a financial argument couched in design terms. If you prevent players from seeing content on a single playthrough, you're potentially spending money to create content that some portion of your playerbase will never see. There's annoyance from certain circles with BG3 because BG3's approach is clearly harder and more expensive and reigniting this debate can shift player expectations for AAA games.

I think it's a dumb argument because a significant amount of players (often less than 50 or even 20-30%) don't even finish their games. So what's the arguement there?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

I think it's a dumb argument because a significant amount of players (often less than 50 or even 20-30%) don't even finish their games. So what's the arguement there?

The issue here is that there are different kinds of people who play games. If you break down the completion rates more gradually you can often see this. Progression milestone cheevos are a good way to illustrate this. There's frequently a massive drop off within the first quarter or half of a game, but after that you have people that keep on trucking and finish. A pretty typical curve you see is like:

Tutorial Cheevo: 97%
Act 1 cheevo: 89%
Act 2 cheevo: 75%
Act 3 cheevo: 55%
Act 4 cheevo: 49%
Act 5 cheevo: 47%

So on the one hand, the publishers want to get as many casual people in the door as they can, because someone who plays 10% of the game and then puts it down is still a sale. On the other hand you have people who want to create an engaging experience, whether for art or because they want to have engagement metrics to drive a sequel.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Squiggle posted:

There's no graininess whatsoever.

Good to hear. Now I just gotta hope it shows up before my work trip that may happen on the 29th or so. :f5:

Edit:

By the way is it possible to stream your pc to your deck when outside of the same network? I would suspect it is but question is how awful it is. I used to play shooters and whatnot no problem via Geforce Now for years while I had a mediocre gaming laptop. Obviously not expecting it to be as good as that but still curious. I might just buy a day pass of GFN as needed if I am on a short work trip or similar.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Considering picking up a refurbished Steam Deck and can’t decide on 64gb vs 256gb. Is there any speed advantage to going with the larger built in storage vs buying the 64gb and adding a big as card?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Do you live near a Micro Center? You can get a 1tb ssd from them and swap out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

frogbs posted:

Considering picking up a refurbished Steam Deck and can’t decide on 64gb vs 256gb. Is there any speed advantage to going with the larger built in storage vs buying the 64gb and adding a big as card?

The 64GB has a slower internal drive