Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ah well nevertheless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/FrankLuntz/status/1781010153451729355

https://x.com/OutFrontCNN/status/1781474416230072614

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh no!

Anyway.....

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Frank Luntz Zionist arc

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

vaxxed?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/jewstein3000/status/1780590066978468134

I think about “Havana Syndrome” a lot and maybe that’s because of my experiences. I was immediately made sick from the air around Ground Zero and told it was safe and to return to work. I never recovered. 1/

Since then I have had such severe chemical sensitivity that I’ve had to move constantly and I’ve been gaslit every single time I’ve pointed out gas leaks, mold, pesticide (and where I could, I’ve always been proven right). 2/

I was exposed to the Dominguez Channel chemical spill in 2021 and knew right away the government was lying about it being caused by natural phenomena (and was proven right). 3/

I’ve been exposed to people feeling the need to downplay environmental exposures my whole life, even before 9/11, as a sensitive person.

With Havana Syndrome, we had people reporting similar symptoms in one building then other buildings. They had in common their employment. 4/

The CIA minimized and denied their claims. That was expected. They did the same with Agent Orange.

Yet for some reason, there is a large group of people overly focused on denying these patients who seem to think it’s a CIA-backed story. 5/

And there are people obsessed with denying the claims of people who experienced so-called “Havana Syndrome,” even though it’s a small group of people, not supported by the govt, not really affecting anyone’s lives, 6/

The point I should have led with is this: The people obsessed with denying Havana Syndrome will hide behind politics, claiming that it’s racist, that it’s a CIA story, etc.

But ultimately I think it’s just about the pleasure people get from disease denial 7/

There are whole Reddit communities around calling people fakers who say they are sick.

Tweets that claim disabled people are lying or exaggerating are almost always popular. It’s sport!! 8/

I think it comes from the internalized ableism that is at the heart of all ableism: denying disease or illness or physical weakness or sensitivities etc is a way to convince yourself that you have control over your body.

Control you don’t have! Sorry. 9/

It’s connected to the Door Dash discourse: leftists claimed they cared so much about workers they had to deny the experience of disabled people who said they needed their food delivered.

But that was a cover.

These same labor activists had nothing to say about consuming produce from exploited farm workers, admitted to eating in restaurants where workers disproportionately died of Covid, etc.

The discourse became almost entirely about how the disabled people had to be lying.

And not surprisingly some of the Doordash folks also think it’s fun to mock Havana Syndrome.

This is why political allegiance is meaningless to most marginalized groups. We see how you use the rhetoric of politics to play your favorite game: punching down.

I also think it’s fallen out of favor on the left to deny Long Covid (though people like Natalie Shure still do) because it’s so widespread and there’s no political cover for it. They can’t claim it’s a fiction by the govt.

So that’s where Havana Syndrome stepped in.

But it’s still popular on the left to deny chronic Lyme, despite major institutions like Johns Hopkins establishing centers to investigate and treat it. And other rare illnesses.

At best, the deniers will hide behind “Big Pharma” to create a political cover story for ableism.

FYI dunno for sure the cause of “Havana Syndrome,” but the US has been developing microwave radiation technology since at least the Cold War and there were examples of known tests of it in the year before Havana Syndrome was named.

It's fake hth

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

TBH isn't this just most of us? We only get news from mainstream media to aggregate it here (usually for the purpose of making fun of it), and we neither love Trump like his supporters or buy into the end of democracy narrative of the democrats.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
we love turmp like his supporters

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Do you think it's more likely that juror 4 doesn't get news from anywhere at all and doesn't give a poo poo about any of this, or that he was just annoyed at being asked all these questions and refused to give real answers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I would just have the kids smoke their first joint together to find their way out of the sewer since that would also be an activity they could all do together that would also be kind of a "coming of age" activity rather than... What happens lol

steven king did a bunch of coke, horny on maine, and thought hmm what activity symbolically represents adulthood and being beyond childish fears and then he wrote about an all middleschooler gangbang in a sewage tunnel.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

loquacius posted:

Do you think it's more likely that juror 4 doesn't get news from anywhere at all and doesn't give a poo poo about any of this, or that he was just annoyed at being asked all these questions and refused to give real answers

I think it depends on how you answer the question "get news from". Like if you're talking about "have you gotten any news at all from these sources" then I mean basically everyone should be checking almost all the boxes because most people have probably at least seen something shared from basically every source imaginable, otoh if the question is intended to be "do you actively seek out this source when trying to learn news on a current event" then I'm kind of surprised there's not more people who basically have nothing checked outside of maybe social media or whatever aggregator page pops up when you open a browser if you haven't switched it's default yet.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

How the gently caress can anyone listen to Biden speak and think this is OK? It doesn't matter what he's talking about, just listen to his voice. He is too old. How are people denying that?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ram dass in hell posted:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress can anyone listen to Biden speak and think this is OK? It doesn't matter what he's talking about, just listen to his voice. He is too old. How are people denying that?

If we don't let this corpse rule over us for another 4 years then we might lose our precious democracy :ohdear:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i can barely understand what that old genocidal bitch even says

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

ram dass in hell posted:

:haibrower:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Gripweed posted:

That's what I love about American Presidents! They keep getting older and I feel the same rage

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Gripweed posted:

they think it for a moment and then tell themselves it is a forbidden chud thought and it goes away. It’s very similar to what happens when they hear Israel just murdered some people, that Ukraine did badly in a battle, they notice how much they paid for food, or they notice that you’re just supposed to get covid over and over now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Vim Fuego posted:

That's what I love about American Presidents! They keep getting older and I feel the same rage

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Gripweed posted:

liberals secretly wish for an old benevolent king

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Beached Whale posted:

yeah this trial is already over

I respect a guy who understands there's 3 sides to every truth. People who work for Donald Trump, people who used to work for Donald Trump, and Donald Trump.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

because biden is just an empty suit they project all their hopes and dreams onto, it doesn't matter what he actually says

also if biden's too old that means i'm wrong, thought discarded

e: this is coincidentally the exact same thing trump's supporters do

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Apr 20, 2024

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Yinlock posted:

because biden is just an empty suit they project all their hopes and dreams onto, it doesn't matter what he actually says

also if biden's too old that means i'm wrong, thought discarded

Obamailures were shameful scum. Bidailures are debased freaks.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden is going to lose overwhelmingly and the only cope the libs have is that “certain” people shouldn’t be allowed to vote.

They’re finished.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mags posted:

liberals secretly wish for an old benevolent king

and two out of three ain't bad

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Joe Biden is going to lose and the immediate response from his supporters will be to blame leftists and/or anybody who has ever criticized joe biden for any reason. But I wonder how long it will take for the tell-all books and interviews where it shockingly turns out things were actually dumb and incompetent behind the scenes this whole time, and he surprisingly was a bad candidate unfit for office

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Andorra posted:

Joe Biden is going to lose and the immediate response from his supporters will be to blame leftists and/or anybody who has ever criticized joe biden for any reason.

This I don't mind, because they are infinitely more distraught with Trump being the actual president. I'd simply reply "Not My Problem"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

West Virginia is going to elect a fiercely anti-woke governor, the libs are already scared

mags
May 30, 2008

sullat posted:

and two out of three ain't bad

shoot for the moon, land among the stars

mags
May 30, 2008

America got rid of royalty only to try and make up a dumber version of it

mags
May 30, 2008

what if we elect our rich inbred pedophiles instead of having them drop in from God*

mags
May 30, 2008

I’ve never heard much about it but I assume Reagan was a sex pest

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

mags posted:

I’ve never heard much about it but I assume Reagan was a sex pest

good assumption since it seems 90% of male actors are sex pests

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nancys rep tho

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

nancys rep tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Andorra posted:

Joe Biden is going to lose and the immediate response from his supporters will be to blame leftists and/or anybody who has ever criticized joe biden for any reason. But I wonder how long it will take for the tell-all books and interviews where it shockingly turns out things were actually dumb and incompetent behind the scenes this whole time, and he surprisingly was a bad candidate unfit for office

It probably won't be in the tell all books for years but I'm calling it now.

All of those meetings with foreign dignitaries and press conferences where Biden is surrounded by aides on all sides that randomly devolved into an aide suddenly bursting into "THANK YOU. THANK YOU. THANK YOU." as they urgently clear the room didn't get any coverage in the media but I think those aides were his poop handlers placed there to smell when his poo poo his pants. The oval office had at least one meeting where a dignitary was cut off mid sentence when the person standing behind Biden just started yelling at everyone and the room was immediately cleared.

Whichever poop handler saw him make the toddler poopy face or smelled the drop would jump into action to hide this by dramatically clearing the room. Once one poop handler signals that the eagle has landed all of them join in unison to literally force everyone out of the room before the smell can spread. It happened like 4 times and there was never an explanation for it.