Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Is Eneba safe to buy keys from? Is it a YMMV situation?

I bought baldurs gate there for like 18 dollars and it worked great. As someone said, use PayPal and not your actual card details to be safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

StoryTime posted:

But how do you make people pay $1000 / month for cards if they just get them from towns and quiz events and beating monsters???

Because they already have that. I don't think a theoretical MtG RPG would cannibalise sales from Arena. I think a lot of ppl playing arena would happily pay £60 or whatever for a single player mtg rpg as well

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Because they already have that. I don't think a theoretical MtG RPG would cannibalise sales from Arena. I think a lot of ppl playing arena would happily pay £60 or whatever for a single player mtg rpg as well

If it canabalizes a months attention from a whale, who is your most likely Shandalar 2 buyer, you're revenue negative with them for a month. Im not saying theres no potential upside here, but internally you'll have to overcome finance asking you why you're willing to risk upsetting the golden goose.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Barudak posted:

If it canabalizes a months attention from a whale, who is your most likely Shandalar 2 buyer, you're revenue negative with them for a month. Im not saying theres no potential upside here, but internally you'll have to overcome finance asking you why you're willing to risk upsetting the golden goose.

That would make sense if mtg arena was like any other gacha mobile game, but it's still inextricably linked to paper magic which means new sets only come out every three months or so and engagement is at its highest the first month of a set and trails off sharply toward the end of a format. Even the most diehard arena streamers seem to find other things to do after a format's gone stale (usually by playing vintage cube or something on mtg online (yes, there are two concurrently running mtg clients)) so I think there is more than enough space for a modern single player mtg experience like shandalar

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rinkles posted:

Is Eneba safe to buy keys from? Is it a YMMV situation?

Sometimes you get used cd keys from them and you're out of luck.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eej posted:

Sometimes you get used cd keys from them and you're out of luck.

Ooof, i've bough from them before and didn't have this thankfully, but going to avoid them now in the future.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
You could easily monetize a Shandalar 2. Enemies no longer drop cards but instead each win gives you a handful of colored Shards of Power, used to buy booster packs. Make sure you open your packs soon though because the good cards willl rotate out forever this Sunday! If you can't farm fast enough then take advantage of the special new user offer of 1299 shards for $17 (BEST VALUE!), or maximize your gaming with the $29.99 battle pass to get 1.5x shards and an exclusive in-game hat!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Like the caveat emptor of all grey market CD Key sites is that they're possibly just someone reselling a CD Key they never used but most likely it's people converting credit card fraud into real money by buying digital CD Keys before the card is canceled .

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
What's the best way to play GTA 3 on the PC these days? Did the definitive edition get patched up or I should I sail the 7 seas to try and find the original release. I'm itching to do a replay of all the gta's over the next year or so.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly, ps2 emulation.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honestly, ps2 emulation.

That's a good idea, I didn't even consider it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

slandergoose posted:

What's the best way to play GTA 3 on the PC these days?

Saints Row 2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah PS2 emulation is really the only way to play the PlayStation 2 era GTA games now. Rockstar hasnt fixed the remasters and doesn't intend to, and buried the original releases for PC and sued anyone who tried to restore them.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

I said come in! posted:

Yeah PS2 emulation is really the only way to play the PlayStation 2 era GTA games now. Rockstar hasnt fixed the remasters and doesn't intend to, and buried the original releases for PC and sued anyone who tried to restore them.

It is good to see that Rockstar is maintaining the spirit of the games.

True personal freedom in the face of the absurd and powerful lies within a life of crime.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, if you're going to play with a controller, play the PS2 versions.

If you really want mouse and keyboard controls, hunt down the original releases. The originals were always a little clunky that way but the DE release makes the experience worse.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Hwurmp posted:

Saints Row 2

Not a helpful answer, but the correct answer.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I thought the Remasters had been patched considerably since release into a pretty good state

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

mystes posted:

Please give me that

The action roguelike Astral Ascent sorrrttt of does this. Your special ability button cycles through like 4-5 spells you pick up on your run. You can swap the order around iirc.

Pretty fun game though. My main complaint is that runs last way too long.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

External Organs posted:

The action roguelike Astral Ascent sorrrttt of does this. Your special ability button cycles through like 4-5 spells you pick up on your run. You can swap the order around iirc.

Pretty fun game though. My main complaint is that runs last way too long.

it's like an hour for a full run, that's too long?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm going back through the Ori games while i wait for eiyuden chronicles, cleared the first in an afternoon. it really breezes by when you remember the world layout

what a joy it is to control this little dude. i still think these games have the best movement of any metroidvania i've ever played

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

victrix posted:

it's like an hour for a full run, that's too long?

Id probably have more fun if you were twice as powerful and runs lasted half an hour, yeah.

It's not a huge complaint though! It's a great game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

I said come in! posted:

Even if the old pc versions aren't available legally, surely you can still :filez: them just like you can with the ps2 games?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The PS2 version of San Andreas is probably more playable on PC than the original PC version at this point. I have it on Steam and found it basically unplayable. High resolution does not suit that game at all, and there's no real controller support being so old. It also uses the old "only save when you actually go to a save location" model so being able to save state would be very useful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Volte posted:

The PS2 version of San Andreas is probably more playable on PC than the original PC version at this point. I have it on Steam and found it basically unplayable. High resolution does not suit that game at all, and there's no real controller support being so old. It also uses the old "only save when you actually go to a save location" model so being able to save state would be very useful.

I had to play the pc version with a zero damage cheat because otherwise my cars would blow up way too easily, and fights were way too hard with a controller (without the console lock on).

E: you’d still die from fall damage, because technically I think the cheat just gave you infinite armor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Acquired a copy of MS Saga, the Weird PS2 Gundam JRPG and the main theme is extremely We Have Final Fantasy At Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q6ycJWY738

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
There's a lull in the chat thread, so I'm going to spout some opinions about games I played in 2024.

- The Making of Karateka - Loved the documentary (where you could play all of the beta builds and early influences for context), still hate actual Karateka.

- Slay the Princess - Wonderful and strange VN, haven't played since the big update. Looking forward to it.

- Cyberpunk 2077 w/Phantom Liberty and the 2.11 update - Preem! Has its faults, but well worth it. The amount of care and detail put into the DLC is astonishing. It could have been its own game. I liked the performances of Keanu Reeves and Idris Elba, gently caress you those are my opinions.

- Shin Megami Tensei Persona 5 Royal - You always want to play the "best" version of a game, but I wish I'd played Persona 5 instead of Persona 5 Royal. Ask if you'd like more detail.

- Robocop: Rogue City - Interesting that they decided to play it straight instead of the dark comedy that was the movie (and to some degree, the second one). If you look at all of the components of the game, it's mid as poo poo. But I had fun, and fun ain't mid.

- Final Fantasy 6 - A JPRG "classic". It's mechanically the early-1990s 16-bit JRPG I expected. I like that style. The core conceit of the game, though, is that it constantly reshuffles your party. Constantly. I hate this. I enjoyed the game, but only because I played it in an era with easily-accessible guides. If I'd played this in 1994, I would have hated it. It would have been competing with Phantasy Star 4 and Earthbound that year. And Elder Scrolls: Arena. And Marathon. And Super Metroid. And SimCity 2000. And Xcom: UFO Defense. And Earthworm Jim. And Doom 2. And TIE Fighter. And King's Field. And Master of Magic. And Tekken. And Warcraft. And Need For Speed. And Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And Wing Commander 3. And System Shock.
While I enjoyed it well enough in 2024, it's my second-least favorite Final Fantasy game.

- House Flipper 2 - Just a full improvement on the original and cozy as poo poo. NEEDS DLC, though. Waiting for it and looking forward to it.

- Balatro - gently caress. It got me pretty good.

e: italisizing "fun ain't mid"
e2: spacing to make the post more dramatic

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 21, 2024

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ff6 is not a good game, especially when sandwiched between, two of the greatest jrpgs of all time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its also kind of hard to undersell just how ding dang good Phantasy Star IV is and I really wish its manga/comic book panel style had been used in more games of the following generation.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
:wrong:

FF6 is good. Most FF games are good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it barely has mechanics, its annoyingly structured, the plot gives up on half the characters part way through. its not on the same level as the FFs that are, actually bad (3, mystic quest) but theres not really anything notable about it 30 years later when you could play 7 other ffs that are incredible

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

xoFcitcrA posted:

I wish I'd played Persona 5 instead of Persona 5 Royal. Ask if you'd like more detail.

well I can't let that hot take pass

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

homeless snail posted:

its not on the same level as the FFs that are, actually bad (3, mystic quest)

how dare you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

to be clear the 7 incredible ffs are: 2, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, and 14. actually make it 8 and add 11

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

it barely has mechanics, its annoyingly structured, the plot gives up on half the characters part way through. its not on the same level as the FFs that are, actually bad (3, mystic quest) but theres not really anything notable about it 30 years later when you could play 7 other ffs that are incredible

I found myself wishing while playing it that Celes was the main character given she was the only of the many characters that were in any way interesting.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oxxidation posted:

how dare you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that would be good if only it meant, celes got more plot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
FF9 ftw.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

:wrong:

FF6 is good. Most FF games are good.

I've been playing FF games since the 80s and always enjoyed them for what they are. But I've never thought they were "good" more than "pretty".
JRPGs have a bad habit of being cliched and forgettable, and the FFs have only ever held above "forgettable" because of style.
IMO. (My JRPG opinions are not the most popular on the SA forums)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

things i like about ff6:
the sprite work is nice
good mode 7
magitek is cool

things i like about ff9:
its gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
What is this "activity" poo poo on the Play Station 5 console. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one