Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Caros
May 14, 2008

So this was bad. Like, really bad. I'm a weirdl who doesn't shut off films because it irks me to not know how something ends, but I was checked the gently caress out halfway in.

I could pick a thousand nits, but I'll just rant a few that really stood out for me.

Stop shooting the swords. These aren't Jedi with precognition and reflexes, they are random guys who keep blocking lasers with their swords. But if you look, it is because they are shooting the loving swords

The fight with nemisis is the worst for this. You see the lead goon and if you look at his shot he's shooting at her right sword which is entirely out of line with her body. If she were unarmed he'd just miss.

'Hey everyone, let's trauma dump before battle'

Wait, I'm suppose to like our plucky protagonist who was if not Okay with gunning a kid down in cold blood, at least willing to do it with a bit of shouting? That whole scene is so weird. Does the dude hate his daughter? Then why adopt her. Literally for a bizarre long con so that she can be the scape goat? Why her instead of literally anyone who wasn't your immediate family?

I mostly have to blame Netflix, but the 'solution' to get an all audience rating of 'just point at their feet' is bizarre. I counted four fairly impactful deaths that just don't work because they don't block it like normal. In a pg movie you get a look at their surprised face as they get stabbed, a gasp and they fall off screen. Boring, but it works cincematically. It does not work to have the bad guy go in for the killing blow and hard cut to the dude's feet at the moment of impact.

They gave you 166 million dollars. Do a second take with a headshot, don't just crop in on his loving feet like a mid range YouTuber trying to avoid getting age restricted.

So much loving grain.

'Bomb on the ship and I've been getting by just fine with guns. Better take a solid 15 seconds to grab this lightsaber in case I need a cinematic duel.

There is some good, the ceasar scene looked like dogshit, but the fact they had a hooded opera (who I guess they probably had to murk after) for pointless theatrical it got a snicker out of me.

What a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

JazzFlight posted:

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

I am only 21 minutes in and this already one of the dumbest things I have read. The grain is not plot important in part 2, the rebels only assume it is because they don't know Balisarius is alive and wants to capture Kora so that's the conclusion they come to which is perfectly logical. The harvest is however a good representation of people coming together, working towards a common goal and building trust through teamwork and communal labour.
Find a complaint that does not betray your inability to follow basic plot.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
movie wasn't as good as dune pt 2.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

we have to cultivate grain

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

teagone posted:

No pain, no grain. Or... no grain, no gain. Either works.

Thread title please

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think the R rated cut is going to make the 1st movie a lot better because that movie at least jumps around from place to place on their adventure to collect The Gang and there's some cool visuals and ideas, I don't think an extended R rated cut of this one is going to make it any better.

I know she's a conflicted ex-bad-guy-now-good-guy but it was pretty funny when Kora just killed a room full of medics that were trying to administer aid and then 5 minutes later dropped down on some guys that were just shoveling coal and killed them all too. Also when the King's Gaze is crashing all those ships fled it and I assumed they were lifepods and then the rebel fighters show up and call them fighters but also drop ships and then shoot them all down and I don't think a single Imperium ship fired a shot back so I think they were just lifeboats lol

Well now just gotta wait for the R rated cuts to start coming out then wait for part 3

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What a senseless waste of cinematography.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

movie wasn't as good as dune pt 2.
this should be the subtitle of CineD tbh

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

josh04 posted:

we have to cultivate grain

Grain power :hai:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

The main problem is that the action is a confusing boring mess, and that the movie is action for the 75% of its time.
Also lol at "and now, the night before the big battle, let's share our backstories!"

I have no idea how could there be an extended version because this one already felt 40 minutes too long.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 20, 2024

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Lots of fun, clear action and weird settings. Everything on the ship was fantastic. And most of the flashbacks were a cool watch also. No mercy to the fascists here.

Also lol at anyone who gets upset about grain.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

How on earth is the action confusing

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah seriously this action was very clearly presented.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Also, the first movie had many interesting worldbuilding idea. This one had a really, really dull setting.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's the same setting lol

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

It's the same setting lol

And where is the stuff like the puppeteer aliens, the spider women, the griffins, the giant gladiator arenas, the bizarre mental techno-connections?

The only interesting things was the giant woman head in the ship and Jimmy.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

YggdrasilTM posted:

The main problem is that the action is a confusing boring mess, and that the movie is action for the 75% of its time.
Also lol at "and now, the night before the big battle, let's share our backstories!"

I have no idea how could there be an extended version because this one already felt 40 minutes too long.

It’ll probably be a completely different movie. Netflix wanted their own Snydercut. ZSJL is so vastly different from the focus group cut of Justice
League, I imagine Rebel Moon Snyder Cuts will follow suit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Put this in the OP pls

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...f2ad0f41641cb2&

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...95bbe087266d0d&

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

all over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHIca20eg7o

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
How do I put these videos as my Letterboxd review.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

YggdrasilTM posted:

What a senseless waste of cinematography.

And at a time when supply is so low!

:bisonyes:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
On Veldt, we have grain power

And the imperium use coal power.

There's a metaphor there about the fight against pollution and industrial imperalists

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got u teagone

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 20, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm definitely going to carve out an afternoon for when the director's cut aka the real version of the film come out. I want to see the film in its full uninterrupted glory. That's the problem with having it being broken up into two parts with its release date so far apart: people think its a sequel when it's not. There will be sequels and maybe they'll be broken up into two parts too but they're not sequels to each other.

Above all else, I think the release strategy netflix has adopted for this project is awful. Just let the man cook and release his uncut Heavy Metal inspired stuff first and foremost, then release the cut for the prudes after the fact. I don't think releasing it in two parts was the issue since Dune did that and people understood what was going on. There weren't any moron critics mistaking Dune Part 2 as Dune Messiah, regardless of what they thought of the quality of the film was. Basically, they need to adopt the reverse of a director's cut. You get that version first then the cut-for-TV version as a bonus.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jimbot posted:

I'm definitely going to carve out an afternoon for when the director's cut aka the real version of the film come out. I want to see the film in its full uninterrupted glory. That's the problem with having it being broken up into two parts with its release date so far apart: people think its a sequel when it's not. There will be sequels and maybe they'll be broken up into two parts too but they're not sequels to each other.

Above all else, I think the release strategy netflix has adopted for this project is awful. Just let the man cook and release his uncut Heavy Metal inspired stuff first and foremost, then release the cut for the prudes after the fact. I don't think releasing it in two parts was the issue since Dune did that and people understood what was going on. There weren't any moron critics mistaking Dune Part 2 as Dune Messiah, regardless of what they thought of the quality of the film was. Basically, they need to adopt the reverse of a director's cut. You get that version first then the cut-for-TV version as a bonus.

Yeah I didn't HATE part 1 but like, I'm not even bothering watching this one until both real versions are out.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Miching Mallecho posted:

On Veldt, we have grain power

And the imperium use coal power.

There's a metaphor there about the fight against pollution and industrial imperalists

Yeah I like how much black smoke the imperium vehicles exhaust

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jimbot posted:

Above all else, I think the release strategy netflix has adopted for this project is awful. Just let the man cook and release

He is cooking. This is what he wants.

Idk it’s kind of soured me on his work overall because I feel like he can’t deliver a decent “hacked” cut any more. He knows that if he does X it won’t be as marketable or whatever but he still does X but then he also tries to cut it out anyway which ruins it.

He knew going into this that Netflix wanted a pg-13 version for Christmas (which makes no sense because Bright was rated R, released on Christmas and was a huge hit for them) and made the edited versions just so unsatisfying.

I just don’t get it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He did deliver decent versions but they're not the best versions. Runtime cuts are one thing but there's only so much you can do to cut around the violence without shooting the movie twice. It has the same issues any TV edited versions of films have. Snyder is just more open about the behind-the-scenes wheeling and dealing than most directors and is upfront that he has to put out one version to get out another.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Love how goons defending the last movie were all “listen, the impracticality of the stupid grain doesn’t matter, it’s just a power play by the empire to mess with them” when this movie spends so much time showing that the grain actually was very important. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes showing them harvest the wheat by hand in future sci-fi world with floating wagon tech.

This movie was absolute garbage.

Tbf this is a bit of a conflation. There were many different rebuttals to the "grain problem" - a criticism (being generous here) itself that was stated in many different forms: it was unrealistic for a battleship to rely on a single village, the fictional ground didn't look good for space grain, that imperial soldiers wouldn't treat subject farmers like that, that it's unclear who owns the land, Kora is plowing a road not a field, and so on.

The Resource, and how the soldiers & farmers feel about it, is not only very practical but the most realistic element of the movie! It makes sense that it matters to them; they don't know that they're fictional characters in a story and thus have no need for sustenance or profit. But it's not important to us, because we understand the story is about Kora & her gang and the proper response to oppression.

It's one thing to not like a given story and think it's bad, but the hyper focus on grain comes with a desperate 'i need to reject this movie somehow' energy.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
There is a brief shot of the whole Goddess that they use to fold space at 1:38:10 ish, netflix won't let me screenshot it but it is pretty Heavy Metal indeed

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

During the watchalong last night I did notice that's where they cut some extra bits for time. You can tell they're going to have a sequence there where Kora and the entity have a conversation or something similar.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

He is cooking. This is what he wants.

Idk it’s kind of soured me on his work overall because I feel like he can’t deliver a decent “hacked” cut any more. He knows that if he does X it won’t be as marketable or whatever but he still does X but then he also tries to cut it out anyway which ruins it.

He knew going into this that Netflix wanted a pg-13 version for Christmas (which makes no sense because Bright was rated R, released on Christmas and was a huge hit for them) and made the edited versions just so unsatisfying.

I just don’t get it.

Not quite - he wanted the long hard R cut that hasn't been released yet. This cut to the bone tween version was the deal he made to get that. Somewhat similar to his Beavis situation, or Ridley Scott's Napoleon.

Who can understand the mind of a studio executive? In a twisted way they are quite creative "Wow I love this pitch! We'll totally finance you making it . . On the condition you let us put out a vastly inferior sabotaged version first! Aha yes yes, this is the way to do things"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
U keep calling it the tween version and it makes me irrationally angry lol

Tweens like rated r films!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I think the dialog was bad too. I really shouldn't have watched dune before this.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This summer, Zack Snyder drops another hard R

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Dune is a lot more literary than this, even ignoring the source text. Beyond all the grain nonsense this really is just a fun time with explosions and guns. It's not Ibsen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

what's this early apogee platformer font

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Schwarzwald posted:

what's this early apogee platformer font

Oh, it's Ecco the Dolphin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Add time traveling magic dolphins to the r rated cut.