Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

But there was no war before Russia material supported and astroturfed a separatist movement, and invaded and took over Crimea and those regions; what value would such a cease fire have when the actor in question acted unilaterally in the first place? Isn't that just agreeing to give them a pause to reorganize their forces and strike again when Ukraine lets their guard down?

How do you think the war will end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Enjoy posted:

Very carefully.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Enjoy posted:

This doesn't address my post, I've explained how your scenario is fundamentally unworkable, the burden of proof is on you to either further substantiate your argument, or address and provide counter points to the specific points/arguments within my argument. The obvious answer however is that Russia unilaterally withdraws as a starting point for good faith negotiations, because yes, the war cannot come to an end that isn't either total Ukrainian occupation and surrender, or Russian withdrawal; while the fact remains that any middle ground given the current material circumstances is merely a fiction that enables further Russian aggression. You have not addressed this point.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Enjoy posted:

The things which will stop happening once the war ends

It's not a war, it's a special military operation. Ipso facto those things are not happening at all.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

the war cannot come to an end that isn't either total Ukrainian occupation and surrender, or Russian withdrawal

A bleak view of Ukraine's future.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Enjoy posted:

A bleak view of Ukraine's future.

War is very bleak, that is true, but to be clear you suggested that a ceasefire "then" would have saved Ukrainian lives, presumably because you felt it would've likely brought an end to the war going by your follow up post as context, do you now agree that your suggestion was and currently still is infeasible?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

War is very bleak, that is true, but to be clear you suggested that a ceasefire "then" would have saved Ukrainian lives, presumably because you felt it would've likely brought an end to the war going by your follow up post as context, do you now agree that your suggestion was and currently still is infeasible?

No, I think the war is most likely to end with a settlement that includes territorial transfer from Ukraine to Russia, and Ukrainian accession to western organisations like the EU or NATO

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What is there even to negotiate about? Russia wants all of Ukraine either annexed into itself or basically a vassal. Either way it would no longer exist as a independent state or society.
You cant negotiate when one side`s position is that they get everything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Baudolino posted:

You cant negotiate when one side`s position is that they get everything.

Right, which is why they are still fighting. But eventually, there will likely be some kind of negotiated settlement, unless Russia manages to be very very successful.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Enjoy posted:

No, I think the war is most likely to end with a settlement that includes territorial transfer from Ukraine to Russia, and Ukrainian accession to western organisations like the EU or NATO

Why would Russia agree to that? It's not my understanding that Russia was desperately short of land and thus had to invade Ukraine. All their reasons for invading Ukraine would remain under that peace, even more strongly than before.

With Ukraine in Nato or the EU, there is no way Russia can accomplish any of their goals.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

poor waif posted:

Why would Russia agree to that? It's not my understanding that Russia was desperately short of land and thus had to invade Ukraine. All their reasons for invading Ukraine would remain under that peace, even more strongly than before.

With Ukraine in Nato or the EU, there is no way Russia can accomplish any of their goals.

The reasons for invading Ukraine were to bolster the internal legitimacy of the Putin regime, secure Putin's historical legacy, and to play out Putin's ultranationalist fantasies. Taking the Russian-speaking Ukrainian territories and forcing the West to accept that would be achieving his aims.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enjoy posted:

The reasons for invading Ukraine were to bolster the internal legitimacy of the Putin regime, secure Putin's historical legacy, and to play out Putin's ultranationalist fantasies. Taking the Russian-speaking Ukrainian territories and forcing the West to accept that would be achieving his aims.

Putin's aims are the complete destruction and assimilation of all of Ukraine. He has stated this clearly multiple times. A ceasefire is just a chance for Russia to rearm before they continue the war.

That includes genociding all of the Ukrainians and replacing them with Russians.

Supporting Russia is supporting genocide.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Enjoy posted:

There are plenty of Russian-speaking areas left, including Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odessa. Why wouldn't he want to come back for those? They'd be forever lost if he lets Ukraine join NATO or the EU.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

I agree, but getting there is going to require a substantial amount of fighting to persuade Putin that this is the best he's going to do. There has been no point in the war where Russia was willing to settle along these lines and recently Putin explicitly stated that he has no interest in negotiating a ceasefire as long as he feels Russia can grind out more territory.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

poor waif posted:

There are plenty of Russian-speaking areas left, including Kyiv, Kharkiv and Odessa. Why wouldn't he want to come back for those? They'd be forever lost if he lets Ukraine join NATO or the EU.

He tried and he failed

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Enjoy posted:

Russia isn't fighting this war for small territorial gains. The entire conflict is about denying Ukraine the ability to join Western organizations like the ones you said. The Near Abroad represents the traditional Russian zone of influence since Catharine the Great and Putin was unwilling to let it fall on his watch. Any peace treaty will explicitly deny Ukraine, even if it is left as a rump state, the ability to join those organizations.

The potential outcomes look increasingly divergent from each other. Either Ukraine will fold under pressure, either being territorially conquered or through exhaustion, and Kyiv will once again firmly be under Russian control; or the Russian state will be unable to sustain Putin's ambition and they are powerless to stop the Ukrainians from regaining the majority of their land and begin integration into the west.

There possibly was a time before 2022 when Ukraine could have found a middle path but everyone has invested too much for that outcome.

Enjoy posted:

He tried and he failed

The war isn't over?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Enjoy posted:

He tried and he failed

Ah, just like Russia tried and failed to secure the entirety of the Donbas after 2014, so they froze the conflict forever and wrote off further attempts at conquest.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Enjoy posted:

He tried and he failed

So why not keep trying, as he is doing at he moment? As long as the war keeps going, he has a chance of taking them. If he stops, and Ukraine manages to join the EU and NATO, he has lost them forever.

A lasting peace can't be predicated on the assumption that Putin will be forever content to take some bombed out shells of former Ukrainian cities. This is the third time he has sent troops into Ukraine in a decade. Giving him whatever he's wanted in negotiations hasn't worked yet.

He has no reason to agree to a peace that means Ukraine joins NATO or the EU, there's much more incentive for him to simply keep the war going, if that's going to happen. He has also shown that if Ukraine isn't given any kind of security guarantees, he'll just come back once he has rebuilt his military.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Right, which is why they are still fighting. But eventually, there will likely be some kind of negotiated settlement, unless Russia manages to be very very successful.

If the Ukrainian front collapses due to an end of western weapons/ammo deliveries and manpower shortages(like the Russian front did in fall of 2022), why would Russia stop advancing instead of taking the whole thing? I don't understand that logic at all. They have clearly demonstrated that they are willing to destroy entire cities to conquer them. They have artillery tactics that allow them to take strongholds with relatively little losses(once Ukraine has no longer access to HIMARS anymore). They have demonstrated the will to keep this war going for many years and waste hundreds of thousands of Russian lives on Putin's dream. Why would they stop at the gates of Kyiv and leave the job half finished instead of taking a year or two more to finish it completely?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In your example of complete collapse of all Ukrainian governmental resistance, you've discovered the point of my clause "unless Russia manages to be very very successful"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

In your example of complete collapse of all Ukrainian governmental resistance, you've discovered the point of my clause "unless Russia manages to be very very successful"

Isn't a collapse of the front inevitable, if western aid stops? Like, how much artillery ammunition can Ukraine produce domestically once they have zero access to Western air defense technology anymore? Is your case of "Russia manages to be very very successful" just Trump/Republicans win the election and Europe also shifts right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Enjoy posted:

You're dodging the question with a non-sequitor, because you stated originally that you believed a ceasefire in 2022 would have saved Ukrainian lives and this isn't true.

Enjoy posted:

He tried and he failed

You aware of who else tried to invade Eastern Europe and failed in their operational goals but still kept going anyways? Why is this situation any different?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

GABA ghoul posted:

Isn't a collapse of the front inevitable, if

“Thing is inevitable, IF” is where I think you’re getting twisted on my meaning.

I don’t think total collapse is inevitable. It’s possible.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Its increasingly unlikely Ukraine recovers most of its lost territory militarily, but at this stage the best outcome now is probably bleeding Russia enough that a peace that gives up the occupied territory in exchange for Ukraine's entry into NATO is acceptable to Russia. Because otherwise any peace treaty will just be a frozen conflict will be restarted in 3 or 5 or 8 years to finish the job, as Russia has form in..

But for for Russia to accept that they'll have to be in a relatively desperate-for-peace state, which they're far from yet.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

You all feeding the trolls again?

That $$$$ get voted through the American place yet?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Enjoy posted:

Russia's aim was to actually conquer all of Ukraine. The goalposts have moved so much due to Russia's humiliating failures that now their various schills are talking about merely holding onto the territory that they did gain.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-60562240

quote:

A Russian news agency has published and then deleted an article prematurely praising Russia's success in invading Ukraine.

It applauds Russian President Vladimir Putin for solving the Ukraine "problem", saying that "Ukraine has returned to Russia" through military action. It suggests the author anticipated a rapid victory and the piece was published prematurely.

The article, published by the state-owned RIA-Novosti news agency on Saturday (26 February) and described by Christo Grozev of fact-checkers Bellingcat as "extremely shocking, even for Kremlin standards", was quickly deleted from its website.

Other Twitter users called it Russia's "victory celebration".

However, it still remains visible on the Internet Archive website, and at the time of writing it's also visible on a regional page of Russia's government-owned Sputnik news site.

A syndicated version in English entitled "The New World Order" can also be seen on the website of Pakistan's Frontier Post.

Given how wrong you are, are you willing to concede that Russia will not stop at the "Republics" without being forced to stop and will very obviously not respect any treaties?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

That $$$$ get voted through the American place yet?

Not yet.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just Another Lurker posted:

You all feeding the trolls again?

I thought the rules explicitly stated that we have to assume everyone is posting earnestly and with total honesty and not in bad faith, so as I understand it feeding the trolls is mandatory.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought the rules explicitly stated that we have to assume everyone is posting earnestly and with total honesty and not in bad faith, so as I understand it feeding the trolls is mandatory.

People could just ignore them instead of endlessly posting at them, although I agree with you that the rules give off strong Elon at X "I am a very smart master of free speech" energy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Blut posted:

Its increasingly unlikely Ukraine recovers most of its lost territory militarily, but at this stage the best outcome now is probably bleeding Russia enough that a peace that gives up the occupied territory in exchange for Ukraine's entry into NATO is acceptable to Russia. Because otherwise any peace treaty will just be a frozen conflict will be restarted in 3 or 5 or 8 years to finish the job, as Russia has form in..

But for for Russia to accept that they'll have to be in a relatively desperate-for-peace state, which they're far from yet.

The best outcome at this point is Ukraine continues to bleed Russia dry until Putin's death, whenever that occurs.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

It did now, 311-112

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

beer_war posted:

It did now, 311-112

Yep, indeed: https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/house-vote-ukraine-israel-taiwan-aid-04-20-24/index.html

"The House passed the Ukraine Security Supplemental Appropriations Act with a vote of 311-112. One member – GOP Rep Dan Meuser – voted present." - 6 minutes ago

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

60.8 billion

Let's goooo

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Quixzlizx posted:

People could just ignore them instead of endlessly posting at them, although I agree with you that the rules give off strong Elon at X "I am a very smart master of free speech" energy.

Failure to respond to a rebuttal is a punishable offense. The rule system depends on the notion that the mods will remove trolls. They don't, so...

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

beer_war posted:

It did now, 311-112
All 210 Democrats present voted for it. All 112 votes against it came from Republicans.

Israel aid and Taiwan funding also passed.

Border stuff didn’t.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm glad that US politicians have finally realized what a farce this has been, and what the cost was. From now on I'm sure they will behave like adults and never let this happen again

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The GOP could have had the toughest border bill since, idk, the Mexican war? but they pissed it all away because orange man didn't want a biden win

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
This is hilarious. Yet again, because of their own intransigence and stupidity, the GOP loses something they wanted, and the Dems get what they were angling for all along. Sucks it cost Ukrainian lives in the meantime, I hope this aid can help turn the tide.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So we have any idea what Ukraine is gonna get in terms of weapons from this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cr0y posted:

So we have any idea what Ukraine is gonna get in terms of weapons from this?
Here is something
Money To Support Ukraine May Be Coming To Your Hometown – U.S.-Ukraine Foundation

usukraine.org posted:

Of the nearly $61 billion for Ukraine expected to get through Congress, approximately $48 billion would go to the Pentagon to finance arming Ukraine, replenish weapons, and pay for military operations in Europe.

The bill says $23.2 billion for the military to replenish stocks of weapons and equipment provided to Ukraine. Another $13.8 billion would go toward the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative for the Pentagon to purchase new weapons for Ukraine.

And $11.3 billion would finance intensified troops operations in Europe.

The legislation reauthorizes the Pentagon to send up to $7.8 billion worth of existing weapons from military inventories to Ukraine, which would then be replaced by the added funding in the package.