Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It makes me feel very dumb at times because I don't know why stuff is meaningful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's haunted by the spectre of his father. And its just sad that even in death he managed to be disappointed in his dad not making time to watch anything with him. He loved his dad but was still let down by him and is afraid of carrying on that legacy.

And cartooning is long boring work.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

he should watch the frozen planet with his daughter imo

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

It makes me feel very dumb at times because I don't know why stuff is meaningful

it helps when you realize a lot of the people are drawn like traditional japanese theatre characters

rikyu represents the ultra serious formalism of noh, sasuke is a goofy kyogen character, and now date is the prototype of a vulgar kabuki protagonist

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kennel posted:

So is reading comics.

That's why I skip them all.

Welcome to the thread Mr. President

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also the woman he is sleeping with when he gets the news is a different woman than the one minding what appears to be his daughter

which could be for a number of valid reasons, but my gut feeling is that drawing comics should not be the locus of his parenting anxiety

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm looking at that and assumed he's sleeping with his girlfriend, and travelling back from sydney with his sister, and they all go clean up with mom.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yes, drawing comics is like an alcohol problem

pretty lovely way to sum up "I am afraid of becoming my father despite my attempts not to"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I took the one surefire way to avoid becoming like my dad, HRT. Now I've become my mom.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I took the one surefire way to avoid becoming like my dad, HRT. Now I've become my mom.

:hmmyes: only way to be sure.

I didn't, but I like my dad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#498: Value Of Life - Gosh Dang It

#499: Value Of Life - Voom?

#500: Value Of Life - Take A Wild Guess

And you lose all your upgrades just in time for 500 comics! :toot:
#502: Filler - History Class

Now normally the Greatest Killer side-story would have been here, but I posted that already, so instead we'll skip it!

#584: Filler - Minor Delay

MS Paint Masterpieces
#586: Value Of Life - The Doctor Is In

#587: Value Of Life - I Can't WAIT To Be King

#588: Value Of Life - Last Leg Parts

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 45: Good Sake

Don't drink and drive, friends.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

... does Ootsuki have a cartoonist son? :ohdear:

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

If he did, the underground indentured servitude bit might be a greater concern than the drinking.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think he's overestimating the international demand for Japanese sake. I haven't really seen in in places which don't offer Japanese cuisine. Sometimes there's Japanese beer like Asahi on the menu, but sake is still relatively rare. And honestly, it doesn't really taste all that great. It's fermented rice water and tastes pretty much like the description.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the drunk guy who lives in a hole in the ground is probably being a bit too favourable to sake, yeah, but the clearly unbiased japansake.or.jp indicates a steady increase in sake export volume and value year on year

https://japansake.or.jp/sake/en/topic/news/consecutive-record-high-growth-in-sake-export-value-and-volume-in-2022/

value is going up faster than volume though. no supertankers of rice wine

definitely not as popular as like regular grape wine, and not something you'd see in non-japanese restaurants round here

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By their words, there is a increase of 118% year over year. That would be a drastic growth, so I guess Ootsuki is onto something there.

Always irks me a bit when people don't know the difference between "Increase of X% compared to the previous year" and "(100+X)% times the previous year."

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

Different Country Diary

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Nick & Lever

Episode 67: Cold Weather Tactics

Has THIS ever happened to YOU?

Episode 68: Ice Skating

I hate ice skating, I have no sense of balance.

How did they even get to the middle of the ice to begin with?

Episode 69: Dreaming of Steak

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Bless you Nick & Levar.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: Shadowcrawl!

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I think he's overestimating the international demand for Japanese sake. I haven't really seen in in places which don't offer Japanese cuisine. Sometimes there's Japanese beer like Asahi on the menu, but sake is still relatively rare. And honestly, it doesn't really taste all that great. It's fermented rice water and tastes pretty much like the description.

Fancy sake has become a collectors item like wines and other liquors, add in the fact that every city on earth now has a $200 omakase menu and yeah I can see it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

part of looking like a kabuki man symbolizes that he only seems threatening, but in reality he is comic relief

love how this manga works at multiple levels

Bro Dad posted:

it helps when you realize a lot of the people are drawn like traditional japanese theatre characters

rikyu represents the ultra serious formalism of noh, sasuke is a goofy kyogen character, and now date is the prototype of a vulgar kabuki protagonist

Hey, that's cool! Shout out if you spot more theatre references, I didn't notice those at all.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 73: My Song Is Your Song

Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was made of inferior clay~

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 37.2: Verification Office's Conquests

Even a manually operated rpg world needs npcs.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 73: My Song Is Your Song

Drove my chevy to the levee but the levee was made of inferior clay~

get ready for Flat Affect Sociopath VS The World's Most Emotional Clown

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmaoooo fuckin bandit maker

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Kennel posted:

Tiger, Tiger

Ludovica, we're trying to convince the doctors that you're sane, but you really need to stop talking... Ludovica, the cat obviously doesn't have a face on its belly, please put it down... No, Ludovica, you can't get an infinite amount of cakes if you keep cutting that piece into smaller pieces.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I want to say Ludovica is a character I really enjoy? I think it's easy to write a sheltered, kind of spoiled character in a way that either complete ignores their flaws to make them a better protagonist, or goes all in on making them a whiny caricature that's really annoying to the reader. Ludovica comes off as someone who makes mistakes and is sometimes shortsighted or selfish due to her lack of worldiness and privilege, but is also likeable and intelligent. She's easy to root for and also easy to cringe at sometimes. Love her.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

This rules

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

mycatscrimes posted:

I want to say Ludovica is a character I really enjoy? I think it's easy to write a sheltered, kind of spoiled character in a way that either complete ignores their flaws to make them a better protagonist, or goes all in on making them a whiny caricature that's really annoying to the reader. Ludovica comes off as someone who makes mistakes and is sometimes shortsighted or selfish due to her lack of worldiness and privilege, but is also likeable and intelligent. She's easy to root for and also easy to cringe at sometimes. Love her.

I agree, she's great :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow in the Dark

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Cricket Magazine, December 1973

Merry Christmas, thread!

The scarf-eating goes on to become a recurring part of the winter-month magazines

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Even if I don't read all the words I like looking at the pictures in insect comic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bless us everybuggy.

Surprise revelation that Ladybug is jewish.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Rexxed posted:

We moved back to the US in '89 but I remember those. Amazing!

Aw, that's unexpectedly rad. Did you have a favorite colour/flavour!?? (It's the same thing when you're a kid, really)

Carthag Tuek posted:

we had (have?) similar ones in denmark and they always cut the poo poo out of the corners of your mouth

Ah, I was worried it was just me who couldn't eat a fun summer snack without slicing my face in half

Bro Dad posted:

Okay, that makes sense. There's a lot going on here!
How do you interpret Nobunaga's anachronistic armour choices in this light?

mycatscrimes posted:

Yeah, she's a really thoughtfully constructed character. There's that tension between "L. has been handed a lot of great stuff in life" and "L.'s society expects her to be not much more than a decorative object," heightened by, f'r'instance, Arlesi's (nearly) unwavering support- the reader (and the other characters, and Ludovica herself) can view that as life handing her yet more Easy Mode bonuses, or another example of Ludovica's brilliance. Plus "sponge" is an inherently funny word

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I always figured that Nobunaga's weird armour and European clothes were to highlight his iconoclasm and willingness to break with the accepted way of doing things. It also accents Nobunaga's rough style with his subordinates - he's not a people pleaser, he stands apart from them.

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 45: Good Sake

Ever got so drunk you sat in the park and dissed the pigeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I never got drunk enough to imagine alcoholic drinks as women.
Am I missing out?