Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
suikoden 1 and 2 are such that most of the frustrations to be had with them are also core to their design ethos and appeal and not like, glaring flaws that demand to be fixed so it makes sense they'd seek to maintain all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

suikoden 1 and 2 are such that most of the frustrations to be had with them are also core to their design ethos and appeal and not like, glaring flaws that demand to be fixed so it makes sense they'd seek to maintain all that

Yeah, and it's appreciated, genuinely. There's absolutely a world in which Eiyuden is a smoother and more frictionless experience and I don't blame anyone for wanting that, but at least for me this is specifically the exact thing I wanted. I'm hoping I continue to enjoy it/it doesn't crap the bed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How many characters can you miss because you didn't talk to a certain person in a five minute window?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

How many characters can you miss because you didn't talk to a certain person in a five minute window?

So far none but I wouldn't be surprised. That said the window for recruitments do seem fairly wide. I know I missed one on my first time through a town before the town got captured, but I was able to go back after it was captured and recruit the character anyway, they just had different dialogue.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

18 hours in on Eiyuden
slow start, but game is good

Discord says a patch is supposedly going up today by 5pm (unspecified timezone) for the digital deluxe edition 72hr early access

https://steamdb.info/app/1658280/depots/

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

I played every Suikoden with a gamefaqs guide by some psycho to get every star. I can't imagine what that's going to be like nowadays where people don't really do that anymore and if you google for help with a game you get 9001 copy pasted AI articles and half empty fan wikis. Maybe someone will make a good guide on Steam.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steam forums will always be there for you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh that is another thing that is funny about emerald and eiyuden releasing so close together too, both are often look to as "guide" games by

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh that is another thing that is funny about emerald and eiyuden releasing so close together too, both are often look to as "guide" games by

One of us is having a stroke, but I can't tell if it's me or you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Janissary Hop posted:

I played every Suikoden with a gamefaqs guide by some psycho to get every star. I can't imagine what that's going to be like nowadays where people don't really do that anymore and if you google for help with a game you get 9001 copy pasted AI articles and half empty fan wikis. Maybe someone will make a good guide on Steam.

The worst trend in my opinion is that most guides are now on Youtube. So you have to watch through a bunch of gameplay that isn't relevant, or skip around and try to find what you need for help. Unfortunately this is kinda the best way to make any sort of money from your labor/work on game guides, so I understand the appeal of using Youtube.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

I hope Eiyuden is not a game that you really need a guide to get through the main story at least. Suikoden 1 & 2 were games like that, but also I have big time skill issues. Someone I watch regularly on Twitch, played Suikoden 1 - 3 with no guide or looking up any information, and completed each game with getting all heroes. So it is possible.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Janissary Hop posted:

The person running the official Eiyuden wiki is a dear old friend of mine, she'll very likely be running on fumes for the next couple weeks filling it out and I'm like 99% certain she's not some kind of weird robot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Delsaber posted:

The person running the official Eiyuden wiki is a dear old friend of mine, she'll very likely be running on fumes for the next couple weeks filling it out and I'm like 99% certain she's not some kind of weird robot

That is good! I appreciate your friend helping add to the community. What the other poster meant is that there are now a lot of really bad gaming articles written in ChatGPT and then not edited or fact checked. They are just thrown up quickly because there is money to be made.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Annath posted:

One of us is having a stroke, but I can't tell if it's me or you.

i just forgot the word others at the end. that isn't a stroke post.

I said come in! posted:

I hope Eiyuden is not a game that you really need a guide to get through the main story at least. Suikoden 1 & 2 were games like that, but also I have big time skill issues. Someone I watch regularly on Twitch, played Suikoden 1 - 3 with no guide or looking up any information, and completed each game with getting all heroes. So it is possible.

i mean that is the thing about "guide" games, its always overblown.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I replayed Suikoden 5 recently and the requirements for a bunch of recruits is total horseshit and some of the guides aren't even 100% sure of some of the triggers.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

he worked on 3 he just quit like the week before it came out, so they removed his name from the credits. people keep saying he didnt work on 3 and it isnt true. im crying btw
oh wow that sucks. i don't remember where i read that tidbit about him only working on 1 and 2 but i'm sure it wasn't, like, twitter but an actual article about the games too

but thankfully this does mean i'm even more correct about the assist party slot not being new

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

I said come in! posted:

That is good! I appreciate your friend helping add to the community. What the other poster meant is that there are now a lot of really bad gaming articles written in ChatGPT and then not edited or fact checked. They are just thrown up quickly because there is money to be made.

Oh totally, that stuff is a plague. I just figured I'd shout out the only properly curated alternative that I'm aware of, at least before the Fandom people plagiarize the whole thing. Almost makes you look back fondly on the days of physical Prima guides.

I also have no idea if R&B/505 are really letting anyone know of their own official wiki's existence at all aside from maybe within the Eiyuden discord.

RubberLuffy posted:

I replayed Suikoden 5 recently and the requirements for a bunch of recruits is total horseshit and some of the guides aren't even 100% sure of some of the triggers.

I still remember trying to figure out some of those tighter recruitment windows with folks on various dead Suikoden forums days after the game launched. Cathari and Hazuki were nightmares.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 20, 2024

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

i just forgot the word others at the end. that isn't a stroke post.

The answer is me, then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Annath posted:

The answer is me, then.

oh no... :'(

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i hope tales of rebirth gives me better recipes soon. feel like of the 2000s era tales games its experimentation with how healing mechanics work make it the hardest one to keep hp up in, since you lose dedicated healers in favor of artes providing passive healing and gels are especially pricey with a lot of shops not offering apple gels at all

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Like a Dragon Infinite Weath's Deluxe Edition is on sale for 63.74$ instead of 85$ till the 25th for anyone interested.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Finally giving "Caves of Lore" a shot this afternoon after getting it during the Spring Sale. Thoughts/suggestions from those who've played it?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Snooze Cruise posted:

i mean that is the thing about "guide" games, its always overblown.

Some people aren't as competent at navigating games as others. Hell, I recall there were people who didn't know how to leave the house in Pokemon Red/Blue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FireWorksWell posted:

Some people aren't as competent at navigating games as others. Hell, I recall there were people who didn't know how to leave the house in Pokemon Red/Blue.
I suppose that's why the GBA games added that arrow when you got near a door.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

I suppose that's why the GBA games added that arrow when you got near a door.

That reminds me there's also a tab for it in the in-game FAQ

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

RubberLuffy posted:

For all the things Suikoden 5 got right, its recruitment is probably the worst in the series.

Eiyuden seems pretty organic so far? But time will tell I suppose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm just going back to every town between events, which is paying off surprisingly well. The starter town just randomly had a dude who unlocked an entire fuckin' CCG in it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I should really finish Final Profit before Emerald jeez...

Final Profit is good btw.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just going back to every town between events, which is paying off surprisingly well. The starter town just randomly had a dude who unlocked an entire fuckin' CCG in it.

Is there fast travel?

I'll be honest I pre-ordered mostly off of the trailer on the PS Store page so I don't know too much about what to expect other than some obtuseness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Is there fast travel?

I'll be honest I pre-ordered mostly off of the trailer on the PS Store page so I don't know too much about what to expect other than some obtuseness.

I have not unlocked it yet but considering how Suikoden it is I expect I'll encounter a ditzy mage who will give me the ability teleport relatively soon.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I have not unlocked it yet but considering how Suikoden it is I expect I'll encounter a ditzy mage who will give me the ability teleport relatively soon.

This game just sounds better and better.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yeah, there's fast travel.
Takes some time to unlock, though.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Fast travel doesn't unlock until early midgame and getting it -early- is kind of obtuse. There's a point in the main story where you have to recruit the teleporter though

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I wish all fast travel in video games worked like Viki in the Suikodens. 75% of the time you get where you wanted to go, 20% chance she sneezes and sends you someplace random, 5% you end up on the closed top floor of an inn with a chest containing, I dunno, an old book or a window pane or whatever

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Professor Moriarty posted:

Finally giving "Caves of Lore" a shot this afternoon after getting it during the Spring Sale. Thoughts/suggestions from those who've played it?

A few tips.
1. You permanently learn spells off of spellbooks if you use them enough. Stats do matter, but many people can be trained into generalist mages over time. Once you've learned everything you need off a book, why not pass it to one of your buddies?
2. Many options will open up to you if you poke around the hub zone a bit after you get to it. You can leave people to train skills away from the party, you can generate unlimited refights with monsters you have previously encountered for grinding characters/magic/monster lore. A few other neat things.
3. That bonus XP you earn can be saved up to spend as you run into stuff that requires it, or until you feel like you know what skills are good.
4. Some skills, you only really need 1 person, other skills you benefit from having everyone with some ranks. The menu may be clunky, but there is usually a button you can press to get extra info on how a skill or ability works.
5. Summoning magic is REALLY good. You get the book in the library of the main hub, northwestish I think? early on, and the lowest-level Summon Vermin spell puts more bodies on the field with higher skill. You can easily train to the point that you are summoning a rat plus a grab bag of slimes, spiders, and other more useful monsters that consistently take enemies more than one round to kill. I have not finished the game, but my summoner is consistently MVP.
6. Most of the heavy duty warrior gear is too heavy for NPCs that join your party until later on.
7. If you spend a bit rerolling for good stats at the beginning, that will make you more powerful, but there are ways to re-assign your attributes later.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Delsaber posted:

I wish all fast travel in video games worked like Viki in the Suikodens. 75% of the time you get where you wanted to go, 20% chance she sneezes and sends you someplace random, 5% you end up on the closed top floor of an inn with a chest containing, I dunno, an old book or a window pane or whatever

metal max games usually have a location that you can only reach for the first time by random teleporter accident

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Janissary Hop posted:

I find that there are usually guides up on gamefaqs still, and unlike the old days they're all fancy and html-formatted now. There are a couple other major websites that also produce legitimate guides and usually show up high in Google results.

I'm currently playing Trails into Daybreak 2, and it has a full English guide up, despite not having a Western release yet (it's not the sort of game that really needs a guide, though - I just use it to double-check that I haven't missed anything).

You're 100% correct about most game-related questions being dogshit in Google, though. You can ask "where to get Doodad" and get like 20 AI sites saying "Doodad is an armor in the game SomeRPG, and can be acquired by playing the game. As armor, it reduces incoming damage."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I didn't realize that increasing my herbalism skill in KCD would also increase the yield so I kept wondering why I would all of a sudden get overloaded while herb gathering. Turns out I have about 100 pounds of herbs in my inventory in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

lets hang out posted:

metal max games usually have a location that you can only reach for the first time by random teleporter accident

The early Wild Arms games as well, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's how you access the bonus dungeon in wild arms 1 and 2 yeah