Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I don't know if it's new in the dangerous mines or new in the mini content patch, but the green ghosts in forest levels are the most dangerous bastards: they shut down your ability to chug life potions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Goatse James Bond posted:

I don't know if it's new in the dangerous mines or new in the mini content patch, but the green ghosts in forest levels are the most dangerous bastards: they shut down your ability to chug life potions

Ginger Ale can help settle an upset tummy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TurnipFritter posted:

Ginger Ale can help settle an upset tummy.

...goddamn

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The odds of this are around 1 in 20, so if 30 people play the game there's roughly an 80% chance that one of them will get that result.

Assuming a 50/50 chance, the odds of guessing correctly 10 times in a row are 1 to 1024.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The odds of this are around 1 in 20, so if 30 people play the game there's roughly an 80% chance that one of them will get that result.

Maybe I’m misremembering statistics, but (.5^10) * 100 = .09765% or 1 out of 1024.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If Penny were that lucky, she wouldn't have her terrible home life. Maybe that's her curse: having to live with Pam (unless/until your farmer marries her).

All of her luck is max/min'd into games of chance at the expense of Big Life Stuff.

Maguoob posted:

Maybe I’m misremembering statistics, but (.5^10) * 100 = .09765% or 1 out of 1024.

With max luck it's 80-85% for green to win IIRC, which would put the probability of 10 Greens in a row around 15-20%

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dragonwagon posted:

Assuming a 50/50 chance, the odds of guessing correctly 10 times in a row are 1 to 1024.

It's not a 50/50 chance though, it's weighted 75% in favor of green. 0.75^10 is a 5.6% chance.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a fifty- fifty chance. Either you win or you lose, simple.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's also the option to not play, so really it's a 33/33/33 chance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bet it all on red, lost it all and never tried again

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
pam rules

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Goatse James Bond posted:

That was in 1.5 before. gently caress those bastards along with the hordes of jumping spiders too.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a fifty- fifty chance. Either you win or you lose, simple.

That's right.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

I wish the prismatic slime had some clues or at least a range beyond "one slime in the mine is now the prismatic slime."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Edna Mode posted:

I wish the prismatic slime had some clues or at least a range beyond "one slime in the mine is now the prismatic slime."

It’s a percentage chance to spawn each floor. Each normal slime that spawns has a 1.2% chance to convert to the prismatic slime. Luck affects the formula too.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 21, 2024

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Edna Mode posted:

it's ambiguous in your favor here though. any slime COULD be the prismatic slime, not any slime MIGHT be the prismatic slime

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t be afraid to check the golden scythe cave by the quarry, lots of slimes there too. You can run through to the end and warp out if it’s not there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t be afraid to check the golden scythe cave by the quarry, lots of slimes there too. You can run through to the end and warp out if it’s not there.

Faster in in-game to elevator hop the _5 floors, quick look at any slimes, hop to the next.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Always be min maxin

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't like that she can tell me to drive myself to the desert, but also can't just do that myself when I want to go early.

The one woman union of Pam is too powerful.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Cartoon Man posted:

That was in 1.5 before. gently caress those bastards along with the hordes of jumping spiders too.

At least in 1.6 you can get the fairy trinket and heal through the debuff that way.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cartoon Man posted:

Always be min maxin

I came to the valley for a simpler life. To escape the grind of only worrying about my paycheck and reconnect with nature and the community

1 year later: GROWING BLUEBERRIES IS 3000 LESS GOLD A DAY THAN CRANBERRIES EVERY PUBLIC SPACE IS FILLED WITH MY KEGS THE CHILDREN CAN PLAY INDOORS WHERE THEY BELONG.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Playing for the first time in awhile and decided to try mods for the first time so I downloaded this collection of 400 of 'em and wow, it's surprising how significant the changes are. So many new characters, so much more everything, and I haven't even explored the added major areas yet.

The biggest surprise is everything just works. No crashes, no errors, the only real issue is the significant loading times between days from dealing with 400 mods but that's an understandable price to pay. Considering how many hours I've sunk modding Bethesda games, everything working as it's supposed to really is a breath of fresh air.

No drat clue how I'll ever get around to seeing everything but hey.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I came to the valley for a simpler life. To escape the grind of only worrying about my paycheck and reconnect with nature and the community

1 year later: GROWING BLUEBERRIES IS 3000 LESS GOLD A DAY THAN CRANBERRIES EVERY PUBLIC SPACE IS FILLED WITH MY KEGS THE CHILDREN CAN PLAY INDOORS WHERE THEY BELONG.

The player character is always such an oddity in these games. Even when an HM / SoS game has a wealthy npc, they're usually like a stuffy aristocratic sort of old money. I want a legit rival

Give me a villager who holds a mirror up to my psychopathy. Have their house look like a hoarder on adderall. they can't hold a conversation because they're calculating the gold per day if they switch from sweet potatoes to carrots next fall.

They hold every record for fishing and they just booked Clint for a full week of tool upgrades

I must destroy him

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I don't think you're going to get much gold by planting carrots in fall.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The player character is always such an oddity in these games. Even when an HM / SoS game has a wealthy npc, they're usually like a stuffy aristocratic sort of old money. I want a legit rival

Give me a villager who holds a mirror up to my psychopathy. Have their house look like a hoarder on adderall. they can't hold a conversation because they're calculating the gold per day if they switch from sweet potatoes to carrots next fall.

They hold every record for fishing and they just booked Clint for a full week of tool upgrades

I must destroy him

lmao

but also Yes

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I save all carrots, broccoli, squash, and powder melons for health restoration in the mines.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can feed the carrots to your horse to make them go faster

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It’s kind of odd that it’s just penny. Emily and Evelyn are both canonically vegetarians who hate being gifted fish (since meat doesn’t exist in Stardew in-game really) but are totally cool with getting rabbits feet. Although the rabbit seems to just shed them like a lizards tail in-universe so I guess that’s fine? Emily’s also so superstitious that it probably overrides her vegetarianism

Is it really superstition when the world actually has magic and monsters?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

You can feed the carrots to your horse to make them go faster

if you aren't maxxing speed, what are you even doing? mad dash to the ice levels to get that coffee bean because the odds of it being in the cart's regular inventory are so low now. Waiting till year two to feed my addiction is not an option.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mega64 posted:

There's also the option to not play, so really it's a 33/33/33 chance.

I’m the one remaking percent that gets it every time :getin:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... can't decide on who my farmer should date. Leah is obviously a better life long match and would mean a happy marriage but Abigail is fun, into sword swinging adventures and her 4 heart event is one of my favorites (with my favorite music track). Is there a working polygamy mod? :cripes:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

If Penny were that lucky, she wouldn't have her terrible home life. Maybe that's her curse: having to live with Pam (unless/until your farmer marries her).
Having someone build her and Pam a brand new house for free is pretty lucky to me. :v:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Is there a working polygamy mod? :cripes:

Haven't tried it but seems updated for 1.6 at least https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/20599

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Poil posted:

I... can't decide on who my farmer should date. Leah is obviously a better life long match and would mean a happy marriage but Abigail is fun, into sword swinging adventures and her 4 heart event is one of my favorites (with my favorite music track). Is there a working polygamy mod? :cripes:

Having someone build her and Pam a brand new house for free is pretty lucky to me. :v:

Sounds like you oughta marry Leah and be best friends with Abi

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was originally my plan but given Abby's 8 heart event it'd make her very sad. That is of course life and she will get over it eventually.

Avalerion posted:

Haven't tried it but seems updated for 1.6 at least https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/20599
Thank you.

It feels a bit... wrong... in a way? Is that something any marriable villager would actually be willing to do? Is it even something my farmer would be willing to do? But maybe the endless feast of greens, wines, quartz and pumpkins makes up for it.
The ethics and dilemmas of games and modding. :v:

Poil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 21, 2024

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Poil posted:

All marriages are basically the same: no choice is more "practical" than any other. Whom would you most like to have in your house and say lovey-dovey things to you? Whose spouse room or outdoor decoration makes you smile? That's who you choose.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm doing the Ginger Island content for the first time. I am not the best dungeon crawler in this game so how am I supposed to get to the 10th level? Please advise :cry:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Doc Fission posted:

I'm doing the Ginger Island content for the first time. I am not the best dungeon crawler in this game so how am I supposed to get to the 10th level? Please advise :cry:

The https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Crabshell_Ring you get for killing crabs for the adventurer's guild makes you take significantly less damage from most things.

Either the Iridium ring or the thorns rings are good pairings if you're struggling with combat. Both are craftable with enough ranks in the combat skill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doc Fission posted:

Drop Megabombs and run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Eating ginger itself also cures nausea, though without the accompanying luck buff.