Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Political posturing and grandstanding, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Madkal posted:

How many times can you say Soros. You know the first draft of the tweet was (((Manhattan DA))). I am so glad he got loving trounced by Trump in the primaries. What a loving Reek wannabe.

Got drat! That's a mean insult! If you had directed it towards a human, I'd be worried.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

The sheltering state could orchestrate a charge with a heavy sentence that includes years of community service (i.e. paid speeches at gatherings), and he'd never have to be extradited because he'd never finish out his sentence. :smugbert:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SpelledBackwards posted:

The sheltering state could orchestrate a charge with a heavy sentence that includes years of community service (i.e. paid speeches at gatherings), and he'd never have to be extradited because he'd never finish out his sentence. :smugbert:

tbh that sounds like an interesting legal question

house arrest, work release, community service

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
But what if the state Trump hides in just declines to arrest him for anything? That way, the governor could respond to the demand of the New York governor by saying "Sorry, we don't have Donald Trump; can't help you."

Edit: I see that the Supreme Court has said that states can be ordered by federal court to arrest and extradite. However, what if Florida just abolishes the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office and says "Complying with this order would be literally impossible; sorry."?

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 21, 2024

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hobologist posted:

But what if the state Trump hides in just declines to arrest him for anything? That way, the governor could respond to the demand of the New York governor by saying "Sorry, we don't have Donald Trump; can't help you."

If Texas rangers can cross state lines to compel texas house democrats to show up for sessions, I think new york can maybe figure something out.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Failboattootoot posted:

If Texas rangers can cross state lines to compel texas house democrats to show up for sessions, I think new york can maybe figure something out.

The NYPD is too afraid of being within 500 feet of fentanyl to even think about crossing state borders

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Failboattootoot posted:

But they can bring their bats and balls anywhere. The New York Rangers would be completely out of their element having to walk around everywhere instead of skating.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hobologist posted:

Edit: I see that the Supreme Court has said that states can be ordered by federal court to arrest and extradite. However, what if Florida just abolishes the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office and says "Complying with this order would be literally impossible; sorry."?
To be clear I don’t think this would happen, but it’s simpler than that. The SCOTUS has no enforcement arm so Florida would just say “no.”

At that point it would be up to Biden if he wants to send in the feds to collect him.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I want to agree but they are building a streak of actually doing the batshit things they say they will.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hobologist posted:

If a state argues in court that it simply does not have any law enforcement agency capable of arresting people within the state borders, then the judge is going to do the judge equivalent of laughing in their drat faces. Florida can say whatever dumb poo poo they want, but federal courts are not obliged to pretend that it's actually credible.

The only remotely realistic method of refusing to extradite would be to simply refuse to comply with the court order, and dare the federal government to do something about it. If Trump loses the presidency and gets convicted, then DeSantis will probably give in and extradite. But if Trump wins the presidency, it's unlikely that the federal government will be particularly interested compelling states to comply with the extradition.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Trump wins the election there is a very strong argument that federal supremacy means state criminal penalties could not be enforced against him, as unconstitutional interference with the operation of the federal government. Think about it: we don't want DeSantis convicting Biden of criminal liberalisms.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

So it doesn't matter that he's broken state laws and is being indicted/convicted during the election? The President cannot be touched?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

So it doesn't matter that he's broken state laws and is being indicted/convicted during the election? The President cannot be touched?

I mean, it's unsettled law, but it's an argument I have to admit has some weight. Otherwise south carolina charges Abraham Lincoln with illegal slave liberation and welp

And given the current Supreme court plus a good argument. . .i wouldn't rely on a conviction holding him in jail if he wins the presidency, no.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

To be clear I don’t think this would happen, but it’s simpler than that. The SCOTUS has no enforcement arm so Florida would just say “no.”

SCOTUS used the USMS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marshals_Service

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
snopes may say it's false, but

quote:

Trump Legal Troubles: Odor! Odor in the court!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zamujasa posted:

snopes may say it's false, but

It’s real good, but it’s not gonna beat “white power nap”.

Not even the same league.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My mom worked the burn ward at our local hospital, surviving horrific burns is torture; I won't go into the details other than to say recovery is its own hell and anyone you know that recovered from 3rd degree burns went through some poo poo.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

SpelledBackwards posted:

But they can bring their bats and balls anywhere. The New York Rangers would be completely out of their element having to walk around everywhere instead of skating.

:hmmyes:

This is a good post and is much appreciated

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

At that point it would be up to Biden if he wants to send in the feds to collect him.

I want to agree but they are building a streak of actually doing the batshit things they say they will.

I’m just going to opine that if your argument is based on the complete collapse of Constitution Article III authority then maybe there’s other issues to address than extradition and you’ve gone far, far, afield.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Raenir Salazar posted:

in TYOL 2024 Republican posturing is indistinguishable from dogwhistle antisemitism

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can see how you earned your PFP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yea uh, "Soros-backed". Yikes, I knew that Santis was a shithead, but I honestly had no idea he was an antisemitic shithead.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth, soros has been a boogeyman on the right long enough that you don't necessarily have to read hardcore anti-semitism into it. This is by no means saying that DeSantis is not an anti-semite.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can see how you earned your PFP.

Do you have an argument?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

For what it's worth, soros has been a boogeyman on the right long enough that you don't necessarily have to read hardcore anti-semitism into it. This is by no means saying that DeSantis is not an anti-semite.

Yeah, that loving Soros guy really gets around.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Maybe but "the antisemitic trope is so widespread it's no longer considered antisemitic" sure is a step backwards.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Political posturing to me would be your boilerplate "blue state sham trial, donate to Dipshit PAC" not "Jew billionaire funded witch hunt, I'd hella ignore the law!". Even if it is all empty rhetoric, a sitting governor still said it out loud and these people are always probing for cracks to push norms further into the shitter.

And separately stop being charitable to right wing bullshit, Soros conspiracy theory is founded on a solid bedrock of straight up antisemitism.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
There’s a reason Soros is the rich leftish boogie man and not Warren Buffet

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

99pct of germs posted:

Political posturing to me would be your boilerplate "blue state sham trial, donate to Dipshit PAC" not "Jew billionaire funded witch hunt, I'd hella ignore the law!". Even if it is all empty rhetoric, a sitting governor still said it out loud and these people are always probing for cracks to push norms further into the shitter.

And separately stop being charitable to right wing bullshit, Soros conspiracy theory is founded on a solid bedrock of straight up antisemitism.

That's still posturing when the question was "Would Santos refuse to extradite Trump?" the specific tropes being uttered aren't super relevant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do you have an argument?

embarrassing. pathetic, even

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that loving Soros guy really gets around.

And it's particularly funny because if I recall correctly Soros is relatively uninvolved in politics, no?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

And it's particularly funny because if I recall correctly Soros is relatively uninvolved in politics, no?

He supports some charities and causes that could be framed as being socially conscious i.e. he's a left-wing loony

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

cr0y posted:

Soros is not involved directly in politics (i.e. he doesn't support candidates afaik) but his open society initiatives are/were up being very influential in policy, and are generally understood as operating under a theoretical basis opposed to autocracies. The Russian government hates him because his groups promote democratic government, usually with a major soupcon of supporting the civil rights/economic policies that are needed to support it.

Soros was a grad student of Karl Popper and was heavily influenced by his political and epistemological philosophy; he credits it as the source of the investment approach that made him his billions.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 21, 2024

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
There's also my stacks of Soros checks for D votes and every left-leaning post/comment I make online.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Soros definitely hates Nazis. He was anti-Bush, anti-Trump for being authoritarians, but I don't think he was strong against McCain or Romney.

He doesn't give speeches or anything but he does get involved.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The whole point of bigoted dog whistles is that you have plausible deniability of being a bigot for using one, so it doesn’t matter whether or not DeSenatis knows it’s an anti-Semitic trope to bring up Soros for it to be lovely.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cr0y posted:

I honestly have no loving idea. But to hear the other side of the aisle tell it, he's sending me 5 figure checks not to work and go harass and protest cops or something. I'm not sure what he does, exactly, but my conservative friends seem to think he's a giant tentacled mind flayer that controls absolutely everything. You'd think someone like me would be more in touch.

He doesn't even send me emails.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

That's because the deep state will track your communications through whatever replaced the Carnivore system (going by Deus Ex terms, I'll just call it echelon).

The previous R leaders were valiantly enacting environmental policies which were aimed at exterminating Soros' subversive messenger bees, but once Biden took power, his evil machinations led to a bounce back of the bee population in America as you may have heard recently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SpelledBackwards posted:

That's because the deep state will track your communications through whatever replaced the Carnivore system (going by Deus Ex terms, I'll just call it echelon).

Echelon is very real and still in operation today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

On the eve of judgement trump flees to Florida where an emergency session passes a parity law with new York and dc. the same night he is tried and "convicted" of whatever charges hes about to be convicted of in other states and sentenced to supervised (by his daughter or staff) release for the remainder of his life. Bing bong one secret move prosecutors hate this

When the prosecutor objects that its an ex post facto law, and thus he cannot be convicted under it