Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

you are like a poet, who is being tortured, by me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fighting Elegy posted:

i watched American Beauty last night and that was kind of a hard complicated watch. Which is what i expected, since this movie won best picture but no one wants to talk about it ever again. I definitely enjoyed it because its incredibly well shot and the dialogue is frequently witty but I can't get a read on it.

The movie seems to want you to like and identify with Lester's search for an "authentic life" even though he's terrible and is played by Kevin Spacey (who wasn't ever likable, even when we liked him!).

I guess it was worth watching, but I will never recommend it to anyone.
i have a soft spot for AB even though it's definitely up it's own rear end but I also think its get a little too overly panned by the... "movie smart" internet critic these days.

I think Lester is supposed to be complicated, and obviously the movie does not expect you to identify pedophilic (sorry, ephebophillic)-tendency guy as The Good Guy. a lot of adults are rather trying to infantlize themselves though, or rather, a second chance at their youth. I don't think he so much was craving to bone down on a 17 year old so much as it being a desire to start young, anew. much of the movie is about desire. from the kids desiring to be respected adults, to the adults desiring a second start from the beginning/youth

the plastic bag poo poo was dumb though

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taylor fart.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Nichael posted:

Taylor fart.

HOW DARE YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taylor fart. (Nichael's version)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i am going to kill everyone in this thread (actionable threat)

mad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xaris posted:

i have a soft spot for AB even though it's definitely up it's own rear end but I also think its get a little too overly panned by the... "movie smart" internet critic these days.

I think Lester is supposed to be complicated, and obviously the movie does not expect you to identify pedophilic (sorry, ephebophillic)-tendency guy as The Good Guy. a lot of adults are rather trying to infantlize themselves though, or rather, a second chance at their youth. I don't think he so much was craving to bone down on a 17 year old so much as it being a desire to start young, anew. much of the movie is about desire. from the kids desiring to be respected adults, to the adults desiring a second start from the beginning/youth

the plastic bag poo poo was dumb though

I think it gets poo poo mostly because the whole 90s suburban upper middle class ennui thing is just way too on the nose and American Beauty makes perfect poster child for it.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i am going to kill everyone in this thread (actionable threat)

I don't believe you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Taylor slow

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it gets poo poo mostly because the whole 90s suburban upper middle class ennui thing is just way too on the nose and American Beauty makes perfect poster child for it.

things were different back when we were living in the end of history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i snuck into american beauty when i was 14 and loved it but also i was 14

took me awhile to catch on to the age difference theme since they were all adults to me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also I mentally replace Kevin Spacey with Bill Murray for some reason

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DaysBefore posted:

Actually it's a chud dogwhistle to.signal her love of the Indian Removal Act

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

obvious from the first five minutes of the album that the typewriter/poet poo poo is being mocked, peanut gallery stay losing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

josh04 posted:

obvious from the first five minutes of the album that the typewriter/poet poo poo is being mocked, peanut gallery stay losing

not my problem

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

WELL IT SHOULD BE

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I watched the first episode of Conan's new show on MAX and it was pretty funny, if you like his schtick.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I watched the first episode of Conan's new show on MAX and it was pretty funny, if you like his schtick.

yeah I like a muscleman barbarian/thief/king who goes around having cool Hyperborean adventures a lot, I’ll check it out thanks for the recommendation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

yeah I like a muscleman barbarian/thief/king who goes around having cool Hyperborean adventures a lot, I’ll check it out thanks for the recommendation

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
There's a part where he's interviewing two Salmon Farmers on a boat that is extremely funny. The main salmon farmer he's interviewing is like extremely abrasive and unfriendly not just by American standards but even by the standards of Norway that we've come to expect in the episode up to that point. But then by the end of the segment you end up liking him because of how thoroughly he owns the other guy on the boat.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Also the title reminds me of the Assad meme so that's funny

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Oh yeah the trailer for that looked neat. I'll crime up some Conan and check it out

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

quick get the quantum leap remake back on the air so I can pitch an episode of him leaping into one of the 9/11 hijackers.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

but also I have no idea how we ended up watching that movie because it doesn't seem to be by anyone or star anyone we'd heard of before

This situation is about as good as it gets

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

There's a part where he's interviewing two Salmon Farmers on a boat that is extremely funny. The main salmon farmer he's interviewing is like extremely abrasive and unfriendly not just by American standards but even by the standards of Norway that we've come to expect in the episode up to that point. But then by the end of the segment you end up liking him because of how thoroughly he owns the other guy on the boat.

I cried laughing during the Thailand episode because of that adorable extremely weird mom

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

the milk machine posted:

my wife and I have been bingeing Ripley and it fuckin rocks

I love how stark it is compared to the hazy, glitzy colorful version from 99. Both are totally valid art direction styles, it's fun to watch them back to back

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Taylor slow

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

indigi posted:

Taylor slow

Woah

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

Taylor slow

brutally trolled online

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It does feel we're at a nadir of something that one celebrity takes up so much cultural landscape. We used to have a dozen Taylor Swifts fighting for cross generational relevancy at a time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

It does feel we're at a nadir of something that one celebrity takes up so much cultural landscape. We used to have a dozen Taylor Swifts fighting for cross generational relevancy at a time.

Nah, Michael Jackson was the King of Pop for a like the decades that mattered. Elvis Presley held down the psyches of his fans for their whole life.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

No you are wrong nothing has ever been as good as it is now and everything is going UP UP UP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

KirbyKhan posted:

Nah, Michael Jackson was the King of Pop for a like the decades that mattered. Elvis Presley held down the psyches of his fans for their whole life.
a lot of this is filtered through time. I do think that the most 2000s-decade was largely devoid of megacelebs, like yes there was Kanye and such but

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

elvis was the king for a reason....

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

elvis was the king for a reason....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5Tg_-LDyfg

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I blame Tarantino. The Beatles or Elvis argument is nonsense. I can enjoy lovely music regardless.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Xaris posted:

a lot of this is filtered through time. I do think that the most 2000s-decade was largely devoid of megacelebs, like yes there was Kanye and such but

tom cruise, brad pitt/jennifer aniston/angelina jolie, britney spears, paris hilton?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I mostly just listen to jazz, old school funk, and quiet atmospheric stuff that spotify keeps throwing at me

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the milk machine posted:

tom cruise, brad pitt/jennifer aniston/angelina jolie, britney spears, paris hilton?

george clooney was ascendant during that time (2000-2010ish)

Popy has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Apr 21, 2024