Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Other cool things about ff9 include: the music that plays in the black mage village, and Steiner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Even if the old pc versions aren't available legally, surely you can still :filez: them just like you can with the ps2 games?

I’ve absolutely seen them on abandonware sites yeah, though they’re still going to have the same issues as those PC ports always had.

You could try emulating the Xbox versions too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think I mentioned steiner

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://i.imgur.com/YnrWeWM.mp4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lol

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Final Fantasy is the best JRPG franchise there is, in this Gamer's opinion.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

george is right about 13

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I should do ff8 again at some point but it does have the best final boss music in the entire series which is a very big point in it's favor

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wizard2 posted:

Final Fantasy is the best JRPG franchise there is, in this Gamer's opinion.

Ehhhh, I'd say the Mario+Luigi RPG franchise has you beat there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should be playing a downgrade PC version of the GTA Trilogy or a cracked version. With SA especially there are a ton of little changes that add to the experience beyond just the obvious custom tracks and draw distance even if you miss out on some sign textures, atmosphere or parked cars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA1rjd91p0
My man Vadim has the details.

The PS2 still has the only official multiplayer in the trilogy that isn't modded in however with it's co-op rampages.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Quackles posted:

well I can't let that hot take pass

You aren't given a choice whether or not you begin with overpowered stuff that trivializes the game. You have to look up which parts of your inventory / personas are DLC and ACTIVELY AVOID THEM in order to play the game with challenge. Also, after 150 hours of playing the game the last 4-6 left a sour taste in my mouth. You have one of the worst "puzzles" in videogame history not made by Owlcat, pointless multi-stage boss battles (SOME OF WHICH ARE SCRIPTED WHETHER YOU WIN OR LOSE), and an hour to hour-and-a-half of just time spent (including unskippable credits) getting between winning the game and being allowed to save.

e: good game that leaves you with a sour taste

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 21, 2024

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haha

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

Its also kind of hard to undersell just how ding dang good Phantasy Star IV is and I really wish its manga/comic book panel style had been used in more games of the following generation.

PSIV had such a good space fantasy aesthetic that i dearly miss, and the setting being a mad max 1-esque "civilization is slowly and inexorably going to poo poo due to neglect" deal was and is pretty unique as far as RPG worldbuilding goes

i'm glad it's at least alive as a series and not consigned to the grave like breath of fire is, but PSO2 just ain't motavia, man

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

xoFcitcrA posted:

You aren't given a choice whether or not you begin with overpowered stuff that trivializes the game. You have to look up which parts of your inventory / personas are DLC and ACTIVELY AVOID THEM in order to play the game with challenge. Also, after 150 hours of playing the game the last 4-6 left a sour taste in my mouth. You have one of the worst "puzzles" in videogame history not made by Owlcat, pointless multi-stage boss battles (SOME OF WHICH ARE SCRIPTED WHETHER YOU WIN OR LOSE), and an hour to hour-and-a-half of just time spent (including unskippable credits) getting between winning the game and being allowed to save.

i genuinely don't even know what most of this is about

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quackles posted:

Ehhhh, I'd say the Mario+Luigi RPG franchise has you beat there.

It does not! but there's room here enough for everyone's JRPG favs, except Arc the Lad. :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy VI has one of the greatest soundtracks of the franchise.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Alundra also is a disallowed fav :nono:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

xoFcitcrA posted:

I admit I didn't open the DLC chest in your room. You can choose to not do that, thankfully.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What is this "activity" poo poo on the Play Station 5 console. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one

It lets you launch a game into a different part of it than the main menu. Some games have a card that’s just a shortcut to Continue and it saves you a button press or two

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

It lets you launch a game into a different part of it than the main menu. Some games have a card that’s just a shortcut to Continue and it saves you a button press or two

Why does it sometimes show up and sometimes doesn't show up based on whether the game feels like it or something

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wizard2 posted:

Alundra also is a disallowed fav :nono:
laundry is the best zelda game

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Quackles posted:

I admit I didn't open the DLC chest in your room. You can choose to not do that, thankfully.

Ah. When I played, I didn't know NOT to do that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vermain posted:

PSIV had such a good space fantasy aesthetic that i dearly miss, and the setting being a mad max 1-esque "civilization is slowly and inexorably going to poo poo due to neglect" deal was and is pretty unique as far as RPG worldbuilding goes

i'm glad it's at least alive as a series and not consigned to the grave like breath of fire is, but PSO2 just ain't motavia, man

I wish that Phantasy Star Online's success meant we got some more single player games, but thats not how things work in the world of media.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

What is this "activity" poo poo on the Play Station 5 console. Who are the ad wizards who came up with this one

Its an attempt to kludge in the superior Quick Resume to hardware/software that can't support it. In a world where Quick Resume didn't exist it'd be awesome, so instead its just a nice little feature that doesn't work as well or often as it should.

Or are you talking about how for accounts based in the US (not physically located, I get this garbage in Japan) the boot up screen for PS5 is the wall of ads screen that doesn't exist for any other market?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Honestly as cool as quick resume is, I don't use it too often because I'm one of those psychos who likes the startup screens/main menu. It's like skipping the 21st Century Fox music or something

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Zokari posted:

i genuinely don't even know what most of this is about

With Royal, you get to smooch the teacher a bit more but did you never click the un-unclickable cheat box that was labelled "stuff from your old house" or whatever?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Barudak posted:

Its an attempt to kludge in the superior Quick Resume to hardware/software that can't support it. In a world where Quick Resume didn't exist it'd be awesome, so instead its just a nice little feature that doesn't work as well or often as it should.

i don't think it has anything to do with quick resume, since i'm pretty sure it was shown before the console launched

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i don't think it has anything to do with quick resume, since i'm pretty sure it was shown before the console launched

Xbox introduced the paused game feature on Bone, then playstation added that to PS4, then they both took there stuff to the next level. They're both evolutions, and you're right and I'm wrong, quick resume specifically is Xbox Series, so parallel development based on some basic idea but not able to implement same way because Xbox's architecture is different starting with the Bone.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 21, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who keeps voting 1 for these threads? It’s not me

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

probably someone who reads our posts

e: "s" I missed one. An "s", that is.

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 21, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i always assume that it's people like me with big clumsy hands who keep accidentally hitting the 1 or 2 vote when trying to return to the forum index on their phones

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Mods and IKs can check

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

i always assume that it's people like me with big clumsy hands who keep accidentally hitting the 1 or 2 vote when trying to return to the forum index on their phones

haha does anyone else do the thing where they assume the post is coming from the person's avatar?
Like, i know they're not a cat but i can only picture this as a typing cat's opinion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Definitely not op.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Definitely not op.

ok, labrador retriever.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's true, I am actually 80s turnip dealer Reese.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

It's true, I am actually 80s turnip dealer Reese.

well yeah. we knew that

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I turn avatars off, out of respect for the newbies with stupid newbie avatars.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They suck. The whole PS5 home screen is bad. Folders died for this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Paying2Lurk posted:

They suck. The whole PS5 home screen is bad. Folders died for this.

YOu have to have a freaking degree from MIT to figure out this god drat UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually like some of sony's hosed up UI experiments like the XMB and whatever the gently caress was going on with the Vita's UI but the "activities" poo poo and the PS5 UI in general, is insanely bad.