Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

twistedmentat posted:

and a two poo poo plasma pistol which isn't too bad either.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fallout lore question, mega spoilers for TV series:
i forget was it already canon that vault tec started the nuclear war? or was that new in the tv show? if it was from the games where was it introduced?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

pmchem posted:

i forget was it already canon that vault tec started the nuclear war? or was that new in the tv show? if it was from the games where was it introduced?

No, that’s new. the games have always left it vague when it comes up or had conflicting theories

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

pmchem posted:

I think Todd Howard clarified that Vault-Tec had a contingency to start the war themselves if needed but who actually shot first has yet to be confirmed.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

No, that’s new. the games have always left it vague when it comes up or had conflicting theories

ok, thought so. had to check my memory

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sort of getting bored of fallout 4 around the same place as I did last time, just after I got to diamond City. I'm only level ten so I'm still having to avoid lots of fights. Is there anything you recommend I do because it's very good or fun? I'm hoping it gets better later?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Play a better Fallout game. Perhaps New Vegas

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

SettingSun posted:

Play a better Fallout game. Perhaps New Vegas

I've finished one, three, new Vegas. I've played two a couple of times and always get stuck due to bugs. I wanted to try four again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Avoid the main quest, go back north and work your way east instead. Just go south to buy ammo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah just go explore. 4's like the best 3D Fallout for that.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

unpurposed posted:

I’m interested in playing fallout 2 - are there any crucial quality of life mods for playing on modern pcs with higher image quality / etc?

What platform do you have it on? The GOG version worked perfect for me out of the box, but iirc it also has some third party patches already applied. If you're playing on Steam you'll probably at least want a mod for widescreen support, unless that version's since been patched as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

redreader posted:

I'm sort of getting bored of fallout 4 around the same place as I did last time, just after I got to diamond City. I'm only level ten so I'm still having to avoid lots of fights. Is there anything you recommend I do because it's very good or fun? I'm hoping it gets better later?

clear out the entire northern edge of the map first.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
me personally I rescue the funny robo detective first and then grind out railroad quests with nick. Clockwork Detective ftw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I may be very dumb but how do I do power attacks in melee. I've tried holding down attack thinking that will be a power attack but it's the exact same. I've got a pair of brass knuckles for punching ghouls and I'm only throwing right hooks.

Also blocking is terrible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

hold down alt

oh yeah this also is the grenade button, enjoy

e: don't block, use the the doge roll mod (which also uses alt to dodge but you can remap it to spacebar)
e: (yes that's the jump key, it only does the dodge when you have a weapon drawn otherwise it jumps)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 21, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

putting melee power attack/gun bash/throw grenade all on the same key is just astounding tbh :allears:

I hope they do a joke on this in the show, Lucy is fighting some guy hand to hand with a lead pipe and she pulls out a grenade and drops it at their feet and blows them both up

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 21, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

redreader posted:

I've finished one, three, new Vegas. I've played two a couple of times and always get stuck due to bugs. I wanted to try four again.

another big item, if you are playing on Survival mode, get Survival options and fool around with some of the save/fast travel settings because ain't nobody got time for some of the bullshit Survival thinks is a good idea

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Flesh Forge posted:

putting melee power attack/gun bash/throw grenade all on the same key is just astounding tbh :allears:

I hope they do a joke on this in the show, Lucy is fighting some guy hand to hand with a lead pipe and she pulls out a grenade and drops it at their feet and blows them both up

its not proper fallout unless someone gets a bead on a target and then unloads their clip into a brick wall

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Flesh Forge posted:

another big item, if you are playing on Survival mode, get Survival options and fool around with some of the save/fast travel settings because ain't nobody got time for some of the bullshit Survival thinks is a good idea

100% for the saves. The game loves to crash every now and then and that's total B.S. for survival.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah that "one save only" idea is dumb as gently caress, practically every long game I've ever run eventually ran into some crash-on-load save corruption problem and required me to go back to an earlier save, if I hit that problem and lost a 100+ hour run I would just uninstall.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Wasteland 3 is 80% off atm on Steam. It was a bit undercooked when it released but by the time I played it it was in good condition and a very fun experience. (The DLCs are meh, though.)

I've said it once and I'll say it again: MS should ask Inxile to make Fallout Tactics 2 with W3's tech.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

Wasteland 3 is 80% off atm on Steam. It was a bit undercooked when it released but by the time I played it it was in good condition and a very fun experience. (The DLCs are meh, though.)

I've said it once and I'll say it again: MS should ask Inxile to make Fallout Tactics 2 with W3's tech.

I played this last year and thought it was excellent.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Flesh Forge posted:

I use the Autosave Every Five Minutes mod. I don't mind being unable to fast travel, but my current Survival character has had three game-breaking bugs or crashes to desktop in twelve hours of gameplay.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I f5 like crazy. There is a reason my F04 save games were like 6gigs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Crashing and dumb physics deaths are a real concern, but for me the limited save options were essential to the tension of survival. It meant having to worry about what lurked beyond every corner, and taught you to pick your fights. You really do approach the world very differently when you’re no longer effectively immortal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I f5 like crazy. There is a reason my F04 save games were like 6gigs.

I love that my game saves get backed up to google drive and fill it up every few hours :thumbsup:

I'd exclude them if it was even possible

Rinkles posted:

Crashing and dumb physics deaths are a real concern, but for me the limited save options were essential to the tension of survival. It meant having to worry about what lurked beyond every corner, and taught you to pick your fights. You really do approach the world very differently when you’re no longer effectively immortal.

lol nobody got time for that bullshit

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flesh Forge posted:

lol nobody got time for that bullshit

...Then why are you playing an RPG

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

my time on this planet is finite and I'd rather spend it doing stuff I enjoy (picking flowers, setting things on fire, eating human flesh) and not so much on things I don't (backtracking 30 minutes because I walked over a nuke mine)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I am so conflicted about FO76 because underneath all the live service nonsense and compromises as well as baffling tech issues is a decent Fallout game. All the events popping up along with constant season pass progress pop-us take me right out of it and remind me it’s ultimately just going to be never ending treadmill designed to suck money out of my pocket’s.

It’s not New Vegas or even 4, but could’ve been a fun single player survival spinoff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Those are basically my feelings on it, though I get why some can get more out of it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

what really cripples FO76 is the bottom tier internet service they run the game servers on, that's why they don't expose latency to the player and why desync is so aggravating and common.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

...Then why are you playing an RPG

I wasn’t aware that “one save only permadeath hard mode” was a definitive RPG feature, feels like a lot of games that claim to be RPGs actually aren’t and someone should look into these many decades of false advertising

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I wasn’t aware that “one save only permadeath hard mode” was a definitive RPG feature, feels like a lot of games that claim to be RPGs actually aren’t and someone should look into these many decades of false advertising

i did find survival's "hours" more dense and meaningful, so to speak, than the regular playthrough's. so the fact that it was slower didn't make it wasteful. i won't pretend there weren't times it felt like a chore, but on the whole it was a much more fulfilling experience.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh for sure if you like it by all means go nuts, it’s just loving wild that someone would respond to “I don’t enjoy this type of play” with “well why do you even play (genre that isn’t even remotely defined by this type of play) :smuggo:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If you don't like survival mode then why play survival mode

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I agree, survival mode makes Fallout 4 a completely different experience. After years of normal runs where you quicksave and kick rear end with little effort, my first survival attempt was such a fun disaster. Everything went awfully wrong from the beginning and I got so anxious about diseases, stronger enemies, nearby insects and rads that my first try never even killed the Concord deathclaw or made it to Diamond City.
He just became a simple farmer, living in the northwest of the map. Growing crops in Sanctuary Hills, building a small home with no other human survivors, while fending off attacks with a couple of turrets, Codsworth and whatever limited ammo could be scrounged up from the area. I quit playing when I realised that the food and water situation was barely adequate for surviving inside my little settlement, but he was fated to eventually die from rads because I couldn't get my hand on radaway or reach a doctor.

Somehow I turned my character into the average Fallout NPC, a trash farmer with bad special-stats who eats gourds and lives in a shack.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Missionary Positron posted:

I am so conflicted about FO76 because underneath all the live service nonsense and compromises as well as baffling tech issues is a decent Fallout game. All the events popping up along with constant season pass progress pop-us take me right out of it and remind me it’s ultimately just going to be never ending treadmill designed to suck money out of my pocket’s.

It’s not New Vegas or even 4, but could’ve been a fun single player survival spinoff.

Yeah I'm enjoying the Overseer campaign in it so far, and the game word is gorgeous. I'm still in the mindset that they should just have an offline mode and open it up to a multiplayer-averse audience. I get immersed in the game world, then suddenly I'm taken out of it when I see "fAzE_88" storm by me at level 91 and gently caress up whatever dungeon I'm trying to do on my own. I know there is Fallout 1st but there's no way I'm paying a monthly fee for a singleplayer experience.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love roguelikes, so I play Survival Mode with permadeath. I have to be very careful and avoid tough fights, just like a real Fallout character would.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Aztec Galactus posted:

If you don't like survival mode then why play survival mode

I like parts of survival mode (cooking, eating and drinking, the generally higher combat difficulty, more meaningful consumables) and don't enjoy the dumb as hell parts of survival mode (go find a specific category of bed to save your game, no fast travel allowed etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Oh for sure if you like it by all means go nuts, it’s just loving wild that someone would respond to “I don’t enjoy this type of play” with “well why do you even play (genre that isn’t even remotely defined by this type of play) :smuggo:

I think "lol nobody got time for this bullshit" is a pretty wild and authoritative reply as well tbh