Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

We got an early Cap 4 leak thanks to some toys intended for another country. I don't think this is a huge surprise if you know the comics, but I'm going to spoil it anyway-

A McDonald's ad for the movie in Brazil spoils the not super surprise that we are getting Red Hulk in the movie at some point.

https://www.ign.com/articles/captain-america-brave-new-world-mcdonalds-toys-thunderbolt-ross

I'm more intrested in who Ruth and Cascavel are. Going to assume the latter is Diamondback but i don't speak Portuguese. Except Shogun Portuguese, which is English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

twistedmentat posted:

I'm more intrested in who Ruth and Cascavel are. Going to assume the latter is Diamondback but i don't speak Portuguese. Except Shogun Portuguese, which is English.

Ruth is Sabra's real name because they're absolutely not going to call her Sabra

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Oh yeah, I also speak Shogun Portuguese.

“Bollocks!”

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Ruth is Sabra, the Israeli superhero that I'm sure will go over VERY well with audiences unless they made some last-minute rewrites. Yikes.

And yes, Cascavel is Diamondback. I thought the Serpent Society stuff was supposed to be cut from the film though? Did they make a member of the Serpent Society a central character to the movie and then cut out the rest of the Serpent Society?

Excited to see New Falcon is gonna be around though. Hope the movie doesn't suck.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Ruth is Sabra, the Israeli superhero that I'm sure will go over VERY well with audiences unless they made some last-minute rewrites. Yikes.

Cap: "Nice to have you on the team, (obvious ADR clips in here) RUTH!"

"Great to meet you Captain America..." *

RUTH's head is turned for a moment for a moment, she speaks very fast:

"I just wanted to mention Cap, that WHILE I AM FROM ISRAEL I DO NOT CONDONE ANY OF THE ACTIONS TAKEN IN THE REAL WORLD BY MY NATION"

*RUTH finally turns back to Cap, Cap never addresses this aside at all*

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
So maybe she starts off as just "Ruth", then becomes a powered hero and adopts the name Sabra. That would mean that Sabra is a... ruthless person.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Cool to hear about 'Cascavel' being in it. Much like Batroc, I always admired their moxy for being a normie with no powers or enhancements whatsoever who decides "yeah, I can gently caress up Captain America". Plus they usually have a killer look.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hulk Vermelho, my beloved most favourite character.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

omg chael crash posted:

Oh yeah, I also speak Shogun Portuguese.

“Bollocks!”

LOL this messed me up watching the show so much. It really took me way longer to realize what they were doing than it should have.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I would like very much for the Sam Cap movie to be good but I have no idea what in earthly gently caress they were thinking when they initially wrote Sabra into the film and I honestly think they would save themselves a lot of trouble if they just cut her entirely. The goodwill that they could conceivably lose from this is going to outweigh the severance check they could give to the actress instead.

Sgt. Rock
Jun 7, 2001

Look at me! I'm whacked outta my fuckin' Brain on Whiskey!
Hey man Rulk is alright in my book

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I would like very much for the Sam Cap movie to be good but I have no idea what in earthly gently caress they were thinking when they initially wrote Sabra into the film and I honestly think they would save themselves a lot of trouble if they just cut her entirely. The goodwill that they could conceivably lose from this is going to outweigh the severance check they could give to the actress instead.

I've mostly forgotten what the plot's supposed to be but I'm sure it was just supposed to be a pretty simple "look, there are superheroes all over the globe, isn't that neat?" team up and they definitely wrote it before the recent war. Frankly though I'd rather have a very awkward character in a more coherent movie rather than a project with big obvious changes like Falcon & the Winter Soldier had...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Leader is still the main villain but I'll be curious as to what his deal is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only thing we know about Ruth is that she's a US government agent so it's not even a heroes all over the world thing

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
They already said back in 2022 that "Ruth" is Sabra, she works for the U.S. government, and is Jewish/Israeli, but isn't involved with the Israeli government in any way.

Diamondback being a prominent enough character in the movie to get a toy is interesting given the reports that the Serpent Society stuff was cut.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They already said back in 2022 that "Ruth" is Sabra, she works for the U.S. government, and is Jewish/Israeli, but isn't involved with the Israeli government in any way.

Diamondback being a prominent enough character in the movie to get a toy is interesting given the reports that the Serpent Society stuff was cut.

I figure he's the Batroc/Crossbones of this one. Dealt with in a scene in the first 10 minutes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I've mostly forgotten what the plot's supposed to be but I'm sure it was just supposed to be a pretty simple "look, there are superheroes all over the globe, isn't that neat?" team up and they definitely wrote it before the recent war. Frankly though I'd rather have a very awkward character in a more coherent movie rather than a project with big obvious changes like Falcon & the Winter Soldier had...

Even without the most recent poo poo going on, Israel's reputation has been bad enough for long enough that it was never going to be a good idea to introduce her into the MCU. It was even an issue when Gal Gadot ended up being Wonder Woman, and that was 8 years ago.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

FlamingLiberal posted:

Leader is still the main villain but I'll be curious as to what his deal is

Leader and Red Hulk in the same movie means lowest common denominator is "Government wants their own super team, operation paperclips the Leader, it goes poorly"

Alternately they could do that thing where Ross flips and decides "If superheroes are gonna run the world, then I'll be a superhero and do a coup." I think that was part of the original Red Hulk storyline?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

It was even an issue when Gal Gadot ended up being Wonder Woman, and that was 8 years ago.

I mean, that's more about her personally than just being Israeli. Natalie Portman is Israeli too.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, that's more about her personally than just being Israeli. Natalie Portman is Israeli too.

Natalie Portman didn't serve in the Israeli army though.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Jamesman posted:

Not defending the IDF or Gadot here, but doesn’t everyone who lives there have to serve? Not a great practice imo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Eh, service is a requirement.

People dislike Gadot because she’s a propagandist. Not just because she’s Israeli.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joe Fisto posted:

Not defending the IDF or Gadot here, but doesn’t everyone who lives there have to serve? Not a great practice imo.

Aphrodite posted:

People dislike Gadot because she’s a propagandist. Not just because she’s Israeli.

Yeah, but the point still stands that there's a difference between the two.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if Sabra's like self-exiled or something that'd be acceptable.

Make her anti-zionist for good measure

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

Look, she saved the world singing Imagine so cut her some slack

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joe Fisto posted:

They can refuse service.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

They can refuse service.

A lot of ultra right religious people already do in Israel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

A lot of ultra right religious people already do in Israel.
I believe that the Orthodox are no longer able to avoid military service as of a recent court ruling

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mr Hootington posted:

They can refuse service.

That’s good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lol if you think they're going to acknowledge real world politics at all with Sabra, good or bad. Maybe an absolutely milquetoast "both sides" moral at best

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I believe that the Orthodox are no longer able to avoid military service as of a recent court ruling

Yup. It's been a hot-button issue for... pretty much the entire time the State of Israel existed, in some form or another, and court rulings struck it down under inequality laws years ago but kept granting extensions for various reasons. The last extension expired April 1 and the courts have been very firm on "we're not extending it further".

Not sure what's been happening in the weeks since then, though. The Haredim are part of the coalition of Israeli government that's keeping the whole thing from triggering elections, so there was a lot of yelling going on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bruceski posted:

The Haredim are part of the coalition of Israeli government that's keeping the whole thing from triggering elections, so there was a lot of yelling going on.
I believe that they are making noises about abandoning the current ruling coalition

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Joe Fisto posted:

It's a "requirement," but you can leave your dumb fake Apartheid state and go back to California or Florida or New York or wherever you're actually from. Or you can conscientiously object, and from what I've heard, objecting was like a 2 week jail stint and then you're free and clear. But also Gadot is a propagandist for it all and seemingly a pretty committed Zionist.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Do you think every Israeli is also American?

Avoiding service is definitely not easy for most people in Israel and it's definitely not something most people even think of when they're 17 and literally everyone you've ever known did it.

Not defending Gadot, she's definitely being a useful idiot for Israel even now. She also seems to be just a dumb person in general so I'm not surprised.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

kiminewt posted:

Do you think every Israeli is also American?

Or whichever country there actually from because Israel is fake and was invented after the microwave

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
God this is the most tedious kind of posting

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blockhouse posted:

God this is the most tedious kind of posting
It's also a stupid technical derail from the original point. It is a weird choice of character; the only idea I have after a cursory wiki search is that it's because she's associated with Hulk stories?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlimGoodbody posted:

Or whichever country there actually from because Israel is fake and was invented after the microwave

Interesting fact: people also exist who are younger than the microwave and may have been born in a place.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I looked it up and microwave ovens were invented and sold in the 1940s, so that applies to everyone who isn't Captain America

mycot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't recognize Newfoundland as part of Canada because gently caress that post-microwave bullshit.