Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

biglads posted:

Aren't you worried at all about the hordes of woke albanian trans-activists arriving on dinghies that are hiding just out of sight?

I'm perpetually worried about Albanians coming over here & stealing out trains
20th April 1961 - D+3 of the Bay of Pigs Invasion, also the last day. The final 24-30 invaders are evacuated by the US Navy in what has gone down as an utter fiasco for the CIA

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Been watching some economics vids on the tubes since Gary Stevenson was posted in this thread... and now YouTube has decided to recommend the loving Institute for Economic Affairs youtube channel to me.

It's a vid explaining why Tesco isn't profiteering despite doubling its profits.

The pre-vid clips show some econ prick saying that "it's exactly those kind of price increases and the increase in profit associated with it that we need to correct the imbalance between supply and demand that's caused the problem in the first place", and "every single example of rent controls has backfired in one way or another".

gently caress you YouTube and gently caress you IEA.

It's probably because Gary was one on of their videos, I assume in an attempt to co opt him. He absolutely dicks on them in the video though. There's a moment when that smug German guy from the iea who is wrong about everything asks him something absolutely inane like, "can you say something nice about capitalism" and Gary effectively completely ignores him and keeps on message about inequality. He is a good egg.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I voted green for my plod, green plod.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I voted One Leicester for police commissioner mostly on the basis of them being made of the council members kicked out by Labour for spurious reasons.

They won't win, because it's all FPTP now, but they might split the Labour vote enough to send a message about how ill regarded they are, because it's all FPTP now.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

My main thing is to encourage enough people to vote Green if they are on the left to hopefully influence them like UKIP did the Tories in 2015.

It annoys the hell out of the “Labour or you let Tories in” lot, screw tactical voting this time around.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I'll probably vote Green at the general, it was just very considerate of Labour to arrange for a specific 'gently caress labour expulsions' option on the ballot, and OL's candidate talks a lot about promoting diversity and tackling hate in their pledge, so it's a targeted 'boil Tory and Starmerite piss vote' that should hopefully indicate that enough people are sick of their culture wars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also eagle eyed history goons may notice something amusing about Fizza Askari's PCC pledge for One Leicester:

quote:

As your next Police & Crime Commissioner I pledge to:

1. Have more police officers on the beat to help make our streets safe again
2. Rebuild community relations with the police based on mutual respect and understanding
3. Fight for more resources for crime prevention and increase Neighbourhood Watch schemes
4. Advocate for diverse representation within our police force
5. Improve transparency and accountability of policing in Leicestershire

All the pledges are directly based on Sir Robert Peel's Principles of Policing which exactly the sort of troll I'd try to bait people into saying that they were 'woke nonsense' :discourse:

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Anybody know how to disable the EU mandated volume limiter on an Android phone? Thinking mainly for headphones. I'd quite like my top volume to be a bit louder than "EV passing".

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Reminds me of Lovecraft writing about how he went to new york once and he describes a normal street the same way he does coming face to face with an elder god or something.

The titular "Horror at Red Hook" turned out to be... ooo, muticulturalism. Fuckin' terrifying!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

franco posted:

Anybody know how to disable the EU mandated volume limiter on an Android phone? Thinking mainly for headphones. I'd quite like my top volume to be a bit louder than "EV passing".

https://medium.com/@gostart/how-to-remove-volume-limit-on-android-3fe8f8116b1e

Does that work?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umbra Dubium posted:

The titular "Horror at Red Hook" turned out to be... ooo, muticulturalism. Fuckin' terrifying!
30% of the country seems to agree with this for reasons.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

As noted though it does seem like that would work better on people who don't actually live there. But there are certainly people who can exist in a place for some time while still holding the belief that everywhere outside their field of vision is writhing with densely packed criminal immigrants.

Reminds me of Lovecraft writing about how he went to new york once and he describes a normal street the same way he does coming face to face with an elder god or something.

for sure. in ontario the tories consistently get the toronto suburbs based mostly on lies about toronto

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was that map for people complaining about the london mayor and ULEZ stuff and it was all people living outside the catchment area for being able to elect the london mayor, lol.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

killerwhat posted:

I got a booklet in the post about the London mayoral candidates. Mostly people who love cops, and hate ULEZ and graphic design. My "favourite" was this message from Britain First's candidate:

:supaburn:

BF Mayoral Candidate that lives in I don't know, High Wycombe who's entire experience of London is Wembley for Rugby/M&Ms World.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally the biggest problem with our current voting system is that we allow so many senile racists who live in a village of 40 people max to somehow actually determine the political outcome of a nation of 80+ million people.

First Past the Post is so cool.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

There was that map for people complaining about the london mayor and ULEZ stuff and it was all people living outside the catchment area for being able to elect the london mayor, lol.

lmao perf

Tesseraction posted:

Generally the biggest problem with our current voting system is that we allow so many senile racists who live in a village of 40 people max to somehow actually determine the political outcome of a nation of 80+ million people.

First Past the Post is so cool.

my city here implemented ranked choice voting (not great but way better than fptp) and the first thing the tory premier did was ban anything but fptp across the province because they’d never see power again

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that's why they've done it for the police commissioner vote here.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Sadly not. The options it describes don't exist. Impressive bit of AI padding though!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

franco posted:

Sadly not. The options it describes don't exist. Impressive bit of AI padding though!

I haven’t hosed with android for a while but I think if you get into the hidden developer menu there’s a setting in there for it.

From memory, I think the initial steps are you go into settings - system - about device and at the bottom where it mentions the build number just spam on that repeatedly until it starts counting you down, enough taps (6 or 7 I think) will enable the extra menu for poo poo they don’t want people playing with by accident.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just played around with mine and yeah if you enable that it's system>developer options and then halfway down or so there's an option for "disable absolute volume" which seems to let me cause hearing damage without warning? Take that unelected eurocrats. Looks like the earlier instructions might be for an older version of android.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WaffleACAB posted:

The anti-woke SDP woman is something else. I thought the SDP were meant to be like the Lib Dems? She was just a few rhetorical rungs below the Britain First oval office.

In about 1985 maybe. The non-Dem Liberals also exist and are weird iirc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the non-Dem Liberals have a strong Classical Liberal streak and are mostly Austrian Libertarian types. So I guess the SDP people are the opposite in an also bad way.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I do love the large amount of weird and wonderful parties we have even though naturally FPTP navigates towards 2 parties. We yearn for PR, coalitions, etc.

The argument that a party can have a broad church of opinions is pretty much over given the 2019 purge of Tories and 2021-4 purge of Labour members against the leadership and whatever the Lib Dems are nowadays.

Anyway, I will vote in person as I mucked up my postal vote envelope thing and got nothing really planned that day

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Every time I think about not-voting, I hear my dad's voice yelling, "People died so you can have that vote!"

It gives me this great mental image of civil war republicans rallying "for the abhorrence of any change deemed too radical"

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 21, 2024

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
"people died so you could have that vote" is wild when you think about it. Invoking legalised state violence as a defence of a system that arguably exists to stop illegalised violence *against* the state. I dunno maybe the most "well duh" thing I've ever said but it's never really clicked for me how succinct that little nugget is. Then you think about the people that died at the hands of the state directly and indirectly...

Crazy how these little things people just embed so many contradictions within them

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I still just have these mental images of parliamentarians having a mental breakdown over whether storming the castles is too radical for their true vision of, "incremental changes to the status quo."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Wonder if people ever use the inverse.

Come on now, private. People *voted* so that you could die. Don't let them down.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the latest findings from researchers of that most studied piece of 20th century art, mario 64. from the guy what done the other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXCVsDFiXA

I'm about halfway through, it's pretty great

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

feedmegin posted:

In about 1985 maybe. The non-Dem Liberals also exist and are weird iirc.

liberals are pretty consistent in their defense of human rights, they're just very flexible in their definitions of human

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu

sebzilla posted:

Wonder if people ever use the inverse.

Come on now, private. People *voted* so that you could die. Don't let them down.

As a trans person,

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

biglads posted:

Aren't you worried at all about the hordes of woke albanian trans-activists arriving on dinghies that are hiding just out of sight?

I have my Soros vaccine chip implanted so I can pass safely through the woke antifa BLM trans shari'a zone.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
So Gideon Falter - the man now demanding that the Commissioner of the Met Police resign - has got exactly what he wanted, right?
A bunch of news articles where he gets to shout about how antisemitic the Met are, in the absence of there having been any antisemitic behaviour of note from the march itself.

The Campaign Against Antisemitism obviously does good work (ignoring the fact that massive racist Ian Austin is an 'Honorary Trustee'; no double-standards from the CAA, no sir) but Falter comes across as a bit of an arse, to say the least.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

the latest findings from researchers of that most studied piece of 20th century art, mario 64. from the guy what done the other one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXCVsDFiXA

I'm about halfway through, it's pretty great

I still periodically think about that joke from the Bismuth video “to solve this problem, pannenkoek used his best friend pannenpaper to work out the solution” and chuckle

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

kingturnip posted:

The Campaign Against Antisemitism obviously does good work (ignoring the fact that massive racist Ian Austin is an 'Honorary Trustee'; no double-standards from the CAA, no sir) but Falter comes across as a bit of an arse, to say the least.

Do they? Genuine question as I was under the impression it was just another Israeli lobbying organisation with the primary mission of smearing left wingers.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I forgot to vote for police commissioner gordon, just found the bit of paper in a pile of rubbish.

Blue bin out tomorrow!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1781941023335190664

Keith the kunt posted:

Labour is now the true party of English patriotism

I have no time for those who flinch at our flag. The cross of St George belongs to all who love this country

...[snip]

:toot:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jakabite posted:

Do they? Genuine question as I was under the impression it was just another Israeli lobbying organisation with the primary mission of smearing left wingers.

CAA is about as partisan as its possible to be

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

LOL which country does he want to be PM of?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol the CAA are these idiots who tried to convince everyone that Roger Waters The Wall is actually a crypto pro nazi music show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It still makes me laugh (and despair; alternating) that Keith's entire campaign strategy is "let's get Tory voters to vote for us", which was a poo poo ploy even before Reform UK started ramping things up.