Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I like that the flavour of king you get can utterly make or break a run.
I had a sweet rear end summoner build going but the king was the one that AOE attacks and retaliates, and gains hit for everything dying.
He mulched my 30 minions and erased my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DarkDobe posted:

I like that the flavour of king you get can utterly make or break a run.
I had a sweet rear end summoner build going but the king was the one that AOE attacks and retaliates, and gains hit for everything dying.
He mulched my 30 minions and erased my rear end.

Wait, is the final boss the same everytime? This changes everything...

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

Wait, is the final boss the same everytime? This changes everything...

it's always the King of Many Colours but it's a different colour every time and they have different abilities

sometimes you get one that hard counters your build and a cakewalk rapidly becomes a big problem

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had a really good Achra run until I foolishly decided to enter the blood void and its boss carved through all of my summon and then me.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the special endgame dungeons are such delicious, delicious traps. How can I resist clicking the cool special icon with more loot? My build is so strong! I'm also riddled with psyblasts now and dead. Oh well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I tried the Achra demo to find out what you were all talking about and bounced off it so hard. It's like someone said "let's take the 100% opacity of complex old school roguelikes and drop it into a 30-minute gaming experience, without reducing any of the complexity and dumping new poo poo you don't understand on you with every fresh run".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jedit posted:

I tried the Achra demo to find out what you were all talking about and bounced off it so hard. It's like someone said "let's take the 100% opacity of complex old school roguelikes and drop it into a 30-minute gaming experience, without reducing any of the complexity and dumping new poo poo you don't understand on you with every fresh run".

I found it helped to do a couple blind, stumbling runs until the synergies started to click

Half the fun is that process of figuring it out

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jedit posted:

Achra should really have a short, one window tutorial that says "in the beginning, pick one trigger type and stack it". That's the most basic strategy and from there other synergies will start to click.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mithross posted:

Achra should really have a short, one window tutorial that says "in the beginning, pick one trigger type and stack it". That's the most basic strategy and from there other synergies will start to click.

That's nice. What's a trigger type?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

My first successful dude was based on things proccing "on step." You might build on attacks, on summons appearing, on summons dying, on standing still, etc.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Jedit posted:

each ability activates when something happens. In many contexts, the causation for an event is referred to as a "trigger". If you stack a bunch of abilities that share a "trigger", you will (hopefully) make enough progress that you will start to learn the rest of the game. That sort of guidance isn't for everyone, I admit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I had a cycle one powerless run walk through and then get killed by the King because i didn’t have any cleansing of negative effects :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Diephoon posted:

My first successful dude was based on things proccing "on step." You might build on attacks, on summons appearing, on summons dying, on standing still, etc.

That's the thing, though. I played several runs without even knowing this existed. There's a level-up system that you're never told about. You don't even get told what the loving keybinds are. It's obtuse to a level where I have to assume the designer is either trolling or genuinely mentally ill.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jedit posted:

That's the thing, though. I played several runs without even knowing this existed. There's a level-up system that you're never told about. You don't even get told what the loving keybinds are. It's obtuse to a level where I have to assume the designer is either trolling or genuinely mentally ill.

The dev is a poet who decided to make a game.

I realize I’m quoting Jedit but good lord you’re a complete rear end

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

... are we still talking of Path of Achra ? Because the game tells you the keybinds constantly, they are integrated in the name of the actions on screen, apart from the Controls miniguide if you press Esc. And there is also a mention of leveling up on the 'Guide' entry of the Esc menu.

Also, I'm not sure how much explanation of what a trigger is the game needs:

"on Kill: deal fire damage." "on adjacent hit: deal fire damage". An explanation basically would say "when you hit some enemy adjacent to you, this skill deal fire damage on them"...

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 21, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Mithross posted:

This was what made me lose interest in Achra. It feels like 90% of the meaningful gameplay is just choosing what skills to level, then the actual stages are just “do [the thing that sets off your combo] until everything dies”. Sometimes you have prayers as a panic button, but sometimes they’re part of the combo or you need them unused so you don’t even get that. It gets very samey.

That was a while ago so maybe the constant updates have changed things since then though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:toot:

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Achra is fun but I feel it's basically an autobattler, something like Astronarch where it's all about going through keywords and proc effects and making a build around it with close to no tactical gameplay.

Not entirely unrelated, the recent Tome chat made me realise that Chronicles of Erranorth funnily enough is probably the game that scratches that Tome itch best of any other, by giving you lots of buttons/cards to push and a lot of open build options while also removing the chuff enemy problem by squeezing the map exploration part into nodes (no branching though) where you just go from one group of enemies to the next.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

does the demo not have the ingame guide? cuz it explains triggers and leveling up and stuff. there's also a controls screen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

O pilgrim felled by illiteracy thy did not heed the sacred words gifted by the Creator.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Groovelord Neato posted:

O pilgrim felled by illiteracy thy did not heed the sacred words gifted by the Creator.

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Patch of Achra

quote:

version 0.9.8.4 added Beastmaster
the "path to version 1.0" streak continues, thank you so much to everyone who has been putting in bug reports and feedback, it's very doable to continuously modify stuff right now

added Beastmaster, prestige class, 20 points in a beast familiar, summons a more powerful version of your highest-level beast familiar (poison, fire or ice)
Master Teleport now also triggers when any unit teleports, and deals damage to a random enemy when you teleport
Crystal Plating now applies meditate per point of inflex instead of dealing ice damage
other bug fixes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

does the demo not have the ingame guide? cuz it explains triggers and leveling up and stuff. there's also a controls screen.

I didn't see it, though of course that isn't the same thing. But if it's there, it's not placed to stand out.

E: I reinstalled the demo and found the guide and controls screen hidden away on the settings screen. So, not obvious.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 21, 2024

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The guide is in the demo and it is fascinating to me that anyone without the type of personality that thoroughly scours in-game menus would find turn-based roguelikes a genre of interest to begin with.

Burning Rain posted:

Not entirely unrelated, the recent Tome chat made me realise that Chronicles of Erranorth funnily enough is probably the game that scratches that Tome itch best of any other, by giving you lots of buttons/cards to push and a lot of open build options while also removing the chuff enemy problem by squeezing the map exploration part into nodes (no branching though) where you just go from one group of enemies to the next.

I'd love to be into that one but there's too much clunk in other places. I like that in ToME you either accomplish your objectives or you don't. In something like Erannorth nearly every turn or node has some sort of way to do it tactically worse but accruing permanent advantage and I'd really rather just test win/lose than sandbag for card xp or something that will pay off hours down the line.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Regarding Achra, I know it's asking a lot of a solo dev but I do hope he adds items that cross-pollinate between all flavours of build.
As is, there's some very distinct synergies that are itemized around (i.e. psychic + astral, fire + lightning, etc), while others do not exist at all.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mono-Life and Liturgist checked off...this was very slow but very safe

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I really like the third biome of Astral Ascent. So pretty.

Actually let me write a bit about the game. The design of Astral Ascent is clearly in the 'busy' category. Cluttered, you could say. Let's see if I can explain it:

Each character (four available) have a unique basic attack and a unique signature spell, with the latter having a longer cooldown. Left click and Q with keyboard, respectively. You also have the dash of course, and double jump for mobility. And to round up the attacks, you have the spell/ability button (right click). You have four spells always, but only one button not 4, so they work as a revolver, clicking on the button cast spell A -> B -> C -> D -> A, etc. You can change the order of the spells, if you want.
Spells need mana to be casted (the blue pips on the top left), mana is gained by hitting basic attacks.

Now, how do you make your build in the run? First, you can get/buy new basic spells and replace the initial 4, and upgrade them to level up their damage. But apart from that, there are lots of passives you get.
-You have four auras, that are four general passives. They can be upgraded, too.
-Each spell have four slots (4 max, and you need to pay to unlock 1-2 of them usually), and in the slots you place gambits, that are small passives for the spells. They usually have a trigger (on spell cast, on each hit, etc) and something they do.
-Both spells, gambits and auras have a 'type' (fire, ice, electricity, poison, neutral). If you put ice gambits on a ice spell, the spell gain a bit of extra damage. More importantly, you do synergies usually matching the auras type with the gambit type. Auras will give extra damage or extra effects to the things that gambits do.
-You also get a few passives (called the dumb name of prowess upgrades) on both the basic attack and the signature spell, you get 1-2 in the intermission between biomes, and one at the start, they also can have a type and are similar to the spell gambits.
-You also level up in the run but... honestly I'm not sure what it does. Gives you extra max hp/damage I think?
-Below the mana pips, you see some color icons, they are stat buffs you get from unlocking some magical stones or drinking elixirs at the store. +5% damage, +2% crit chance, +3% armor, +1 mana pip, that kind of thing.
-There is a short vertical bar on the top left too, it's the rage meter, fill it up casting spells (it needs a lot, so you won't use it more than 2-3 times) to summon a zodiac ally, if you have one. You can get one in special challenges.
-Not pictured here, but there is still one more passive you can get before starting a run in the base, from a selection of three that changes daily.
-Finally, on that screenshot there is still one more thing, the icon to the right of the auras row, on the bottom, that's a special passive/summon perk (an Echo) you can get if you are a bit lucky and a specific room appears on the run.

On that screenshot you also can see the three different currencies the game have for a given run, the crystals are the most similar to money, the keys are to open locked chest while you explore, and the stars buy health recharges or stat upgrades in the shop.

The game also loves to pamper the player with the metaprogression. You get a nifty animation when you die showing all the enemies you killed and how much mprog currency they give you, and then you are shown (pictured here) what new stuff you have unlocked at your base. Both the ingame achievement system, the memories and the auras also give you extra mprog currency.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jedit posted:

E: I reinstalled the demo and found the guide and controls screen hidden away on the settings screen. So, not obvious.

lmao imagine putting controls in the settings menu what a scrub dev

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Just noticed that in the latest update on the beta branch of Rift Wizard 2 you can now filter by attribute, which is an incredible UX upgrade that has somehow made me even more excited about how good it's gonna be when it comes out of early access.

Arpanets
Feb 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/ptychomancer/status/1781813214034190708

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The world is not ready for Qud

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jedit posted:

Don't suggest the developer is mentally ill because you can't work out how to play the game, Jesus Christ. That's lovely.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's obtuse

New to rogue likes huh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FURTHERMORE, have you heard about this BIZARRE system called VIKEYS? yuhjklbn!?!??!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I guess if you already don't like Achra it's pretty easy to find every little thing about it obtuse or dumb, but not being able to press one of the 6 buttons on the title screen is a new one.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

That's the thing, though. I played several runs without even knowing X, Y, or Z existed. There's a button system that you're never told about. You don't even get told what the loving buttons are. It's obtuse to a level where I have to assume the designer is either trolling or genuinely mentally ill.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I assure you that you do not, in fact, have to assume this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I didn't know DarkSydePhil posted on these forums.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I don't think the absurdity really comes through properly for anyone who hasn't played Achra, but the screen showing "hit this button for controls, hit this button for a guide" is a single user-interaction away from almost every game surface in Achra.

Main menu? -> Click the mobile-esque hamburger icon in the corner, it's one of the only things that is clickable.
You've left the main menu to create a new character? That's okay, the hamburger is still there!
Created a character and are now playing the game? That's okay, the menu is still right there, waiting for you.
Perhaps you haven't used a phone before and don't recognize the traditional icon for "this is a menu"? That's okay, the escape button also works in exactly the way one would expect!

In all of these cases, "controls" and "guide" are not hidden, they are the top two items on the subsequent screen, directly in the center.

The complaint is obtuse to a level where I have to suppose the poster was either trolling or....

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

I don't think the absurdity really comes through properly for anyone who hasn't played Achra, but the screen showing "hit this button for controls, hit this button for a guide" is a single user-interaction away from almost every game surface in Achra.

Main menu? -> Click the mobile-esque hamburger icon in the corner, it's one of the only things that is clickable.
You've left the main menu to create a new character? That's okay, the hamburger is still there!
Created a character and are now playing the game? That's okay, the menu is still right there, waiting for you.
Perhaps you haven't used a phone before and don't recognize the traditional icon for "this is a menu"? That's okay, the escape button also works in exactly the way one would expect!

In all of these cases, "controls" and "guide" are not hidden, they are the top two items on the subsequent screen, directly in the center.

The complaint is obtuse to a level where I have to suppose the poster was either trolling or....

the button that takes you to the skill screen is also on screen the entire time you are playing and when you have skill points it also has a big number on it. if you hover over it this message shows up:

clearly the product of a deranged mind which derives pleasure from trapping unwitting players in a twisted labyrinth of opaque game mechanics