Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

Thundarr posted:

My pawn just got his griffon badge when we came down the waterfall and saw a griffon taking a drink from the river. It looked up and saw us, then immediately slid the one pixel further into the river that was enough for it to brine itself.

And weirdly, he just returned from another player but when I checked that player's profile they hadn't been online for 19 days. So how did my pawn get released?

Invisible mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vermain posted:

i'm genuinely shocked that there's that many people who haven't played fallout 4 who had a passing interest in the TV show, given that it's the most normie-rear end game i can think of outside of, like, sports titles

I'd say a more accessible game is precisely the sort that would get a surge of interest following a popular media tie-in.

FO4 is also in that sweet spot where it's old enough that almost any pc and the current console gens can run it, but not so old that modern quality of life features would be missing. Not to mention people could have gotten it dirt cheap or free and just didn't get around to playing it until the show -or are replaying.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

is giving the godsbane to the scientist the only thing you can do with it because that just seems like the worst idea ever

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yup. And in NG+ you can't just use the completed godsbane you already have, you have to go through the whole dance of making a new one, so you can have multiple

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i have no idea what any of that means

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yup. And in NG+ you can't just use the completed godsbane you already have, you have to go through the whole dance of making a new one, so you can have multiple

You can at least use it to open the door. Also I had someone gift me one which was funny.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

You can at least use it to open the door. Also I had someone gift me one which was funny.

I was about to ask about that, I saw you could gift it, but I never tried. I'd guess you can only do that on NG+, though?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

I was about to ask about that, I saw you could gift it, but I never tried. I'd guess you can only do that on NG+, though?

I got it on ng+ so yeah that might be true.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

2 of the post game bosses just never showed up, oh well. sure was dragon's dogma. 2.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im right at the climax of the game and this has been the greatest game i ever played probably and im excited for endgame surprises and ng+

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Endgame surprises, you're in for a treat

Just don't get your hopes up for ng+

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Endgame surprises, you're in for a treat

Just don't get your hopes up for ng+

My hope is to play this excellent game again with 6 different classes

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh yeah then strap the gently caress in, Arisen

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Picayune posted:

Also, in re: the Sphinx, after successfully answering all ten riddles, there's a super easy (if expensive) way to kill her. After she unlocked the last normal-sized chest, I didn't open it. I walked around behind her - because you aren't supposed to hit her in her human parts, which the stupid fragile vase actually refers to, if you look at it - and carefully put the arrow of unmaking in her lion butt while she was still reclining and not moving. She got unmade (and seemed kind of happy about it, honestly, because it was like I was solving the eleventh and final riddle) and then I opened the last small chest and also the big one.

Gonna quote myself to say that this no longer works, ack! I completed the Sphinx on NG+ today and as soon as she had unlocked the final chest for me, she said goodbye and stood up to leave without waiting for me to open the final chest. I unmade her right quick but she was on the move when I did it.

Either they fixed the way this works in one of the patches that hit between my first and second playthrough or it just works differently on NG+ because she remembers what I did to her last time and wanted to see if I could handle it if she changed things up. Either way, looks like you can't count on this any more.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Picayune posted:

Gonna quote myself to say that this no longer works, ack! I completed the Sphinx on NG+ today and as soon as she had unlocked the final chest for me, she said goodbye and stood up to leave without waiting for me to open the final chest. I unmade her right quick but she was on the move when I did it.

Either they fixed the way this works in one of the patches that hit between my first and second playthrough or it just works differently on NG+ because she remembers what I did to her last time and wanted to see if I could handle it if she changed things up. Either way, looks like you can't count on this any more.

I think theres one particular riddle that makes getting the final chest much harder if she randomly gives it to you last

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picayune posted:

I don't think they changed it, but it's touchy:

She always started to leave before you opened the final chest, but there was still a bit of time to attack her in the air to start a fight. It takes a couple hits to actually aggro her and put her into fight mode though - if you unmake too early it might not necessarily make the combat trigger happen and even though she's "dead", she still just leaves

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Picayune posted:

I have still not done any sphinx stuff, but this does lead me to ask. Does the 8 wyrmcrystal cost single unmaker arrow the dragonforged sells even in the early game (along with a portcrystal, hell yeah) just not work to bring, and only the one from a riddle chest counts? I may be misunderstanding the timing involved in the question though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 21, 2024

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I have still not done any sphinx stuff, but this does lead me to ask. Does the 8 wyrmcrystal cost single unmaker arrow the dragonforged sells even in the early game (along with a portcrystal, hell yeah) just not work to bring, and only the one from a riddle chest counts? I may be misunderstanding the timing involved in the question though.

It works fine, the arrow isn't actually needed at all, it just makes it a lot easier.

The only trick to the Sphinx fight is that you aren't allowed to attack her in her human parts (if you do she'll get mad at you and leave). You can damage her with any weapon and win the fight conventionally so long as you stick to this restriction. The arrow just allows you to win instantly and since she gives you one as a reward for an earlier riddle, it seems natural to want to use it

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you use an Art of Metamorphosis on your pawn, can you change their voice? I decided to try an incense on him to see if that would improve his warrior-ing, and well, the voice it gave him would just lead me to throw him off a cliff and leave him there.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

If you use an Art of Metamorphosis on your pawn, can you change their voice? I decided to try an incense on him to see if that would improve his warrior-ing, and well, the voice it gave him would just lead me to throw him off a cliff and leave him there.

you can, which really makes me wonder what the hell the point of the incenses are when they're vastly more expensive than art of metamorphosis

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They're more immersive

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol that the game just sort of randomly chucks Trickster at you. What a trick!

e: Lol I can wakestone these bandits that jumped me. Well, I won't, but it's neat that I can

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 21, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The trickster meister skill is good lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you’re out there, Aramek, your sorc pawn is amazing but I really wanted those griffon parts and your meteor swarm or whatever just reduced it to ash

definitely want to try sorc myself though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also my pawn is about 1-for-75 launching me when I need it, and has sent me careening off cliffs a half dozen times when I get near him at the wrong time in combat

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

also my pawn is about 1-for-75 launching me when I need it, and has sent me careening off cliffs a half dozen times when I get near him at the wrong time in combat
yeah launch is just a trap

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're just helping you fly into free

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
logistian plummeted to my least fav spec after they turned all my rippened apples to dried fruit, my import export scheme, ruined

FuckLacedFusillade
Jan 21, 2005
Legendary Dark Knight
OK, can confirm that you are allowed to eat 81 out of the 82 beetles in the game. Weird it isn't 80 as that would give you a nice round +12kg to carrying capacity, but whatever.

Also a funny thing happened with the Pawn Quest I has setup. I set the Sphinx Smasher badge to be earned when I rested and had the Unmaking Arrow set as the reward. I figured people might use my pawn to get a free arrow after using one to kill the Sphinx. Instead, I rested again about 30 minutes later and 4 fake Capcom hires happened and I immediately earned the badge! I'm not sure what happened, was it a glitch or the result of setting something as valuable as the Unmaking Arrow as the reward or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

can I launch my pawns up to things? will they do stuff up there like release ladders or collect poo poo and open chests? I could burn a skill slot on that when I do warrior/fighter

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Lol I can wakestone these bandits that jumped me. Well, I won't, but it's neat that I can

There's a decent chance that this was just an NPC party that was dressed in a way that made you think they were bandits (and after your first attack they actually aggroed).

I thought this same thing happened to me at one point, but if I'm being honest I probably actually made the first attack and just assumed "the group of bandit-looking guys who suddenly appeared in front of me are enemies."

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Ytlaya posted:

There's a decent chance that this was just an NPC party that was dressed in a way that made you think they were bandits (and after your first attack they actually aggroed).

I thought this same thing happened to me at one point, but if I'm being honest I probably actually made the first attack and just assumed "the group of bandit-looking guys who suddenly appeared in front of me are enemies."

I know exactly what this is - in the quest where you're chasing a guy to find the location of the bandit lair, two of the bandits who attack you early on are named NPCs for some reason. I found this out because I tried to loot them after they attacked me and dicovered that the game will let you Wakestone them and had a similar reaction.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah those guys. A solid half of Battahl so far has been things just sort of happening lmao

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Subjunctive posted:

can I launch my pawns up to things? will they do stuff up there like release ladders or collect poo poo and open chests? I could burn a skill slot on that when I do warrior/fighter

Sometimes! I've thrown pawns across gaps or up stuff and they've opened chests and kicked down ladders.

Ytlaya posted:

Could also be bandits that were/are used as npcs in a cutscene. The game gave me the option of wakestoning the corral snake guards Hugo siccs on you.

E: yep we're talking about the same ones.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

efb

Subjunctive posted:

idk if they will open chests(probably), but they will kick down ladders.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

efb

they do, but they dont get seeker tokens!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

efb

i've had pawns levitate up to places and open chests, but never kick down a ladder (mainly because i never gave them the opportunity tbf). but it's entirely luck if they decide to do any of that based on their looting priorities

Honest Thief posted:

they do, but they dont get seeker tokens!
they will pick up seeker tokens they just need to learn to do that, i think it takes them seeing you pick up 100 or so?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've had pawns levitate up to places and open chests, but never kick down a ladder (mainly because i never gave them the opportunity tbf). but it's entirely luck if they decide to do any of that based on their looting priorities

they will pick up seeker tokens they just need to learn to do that, i think it takes them seeing you pick up 100 or so?

I've never once seen a pawn pick up a seeker token, despite having 200+ of them. They just mark them on the mini map with a "I wonder what that is over there" comment.

But I've reviewed a map multiple times and can't find any that I haven't picked up despite being 7 short of the (completely, stupidly useless) +discipline ring, so I'll be kinda mad if random pawns snatched some of the tokens and vanished into the ether with them.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Pawn inventory goes to your storage when they leave, so no, they won't have stolen them, but it might be worth checking your storage just in case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sadly no tokens in there either. Just a map full of icons that I all have a clear memory of picking up, so my brain is lying to me about some of them. That'll teach me for not metagaming them with a checklist right from the start, I guess.