Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

Of course, these systems don't ensnare everyone - there are breakouts like you and me that sign on whenever and do whatever we feel like because we care first and foremost about having fun, not performing task checklists. However, it's also worth noting that we're the exception to the rule, and many people are very vulnerable to this kind of manipulation.

:hmmyes: You have a good point because I agree with everything you listed while at the same time having thought of none of it. It's gonna get even rougher with more dungeons, raids and exotic missions that they're really gonna have to address a lot of that stuff.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Completing all 8 legendary campaign missions gives you 20 free power levels, so if that doesn't come until post raid, then contest mode is gonna be set at like...the new power floor

What if they're just switching to a static delta system instead? From all the conjecture you've posited seems just as likely they're doing that along with maybe some "oh here's some special antichamp modifiers". Contest mode -35 delta does not seem out of the realm of what they'd do lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

:hmmyes: You have a good point because I agree with everything you listed while at the same time having thought of none of it. It's gonna get even rougher with more dungeons, raids and exotic missions that they're really gonna have to address a lot of that stuff.

Frankly, Engagement Over Entertainment is what has made me want to get out of game dev several times over the years. Many developers don't believe in simply making games good anymore, it's so common to see them structured in such a way that they build habits and monopolize brain capacity and generate metrics and all of this other bullshit. Daily quests and activity rotators and content drips are all designed from the ground up to keep players engaged, to keep them online, to prevent them from playing through everything and then going to do something else.

Thankfully I've never liked any of those systems, so I go through periods of getting sick of all of the bullshit and putting the game down for a while instead of getting addicted and never logging off.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That kind of unhealthy grind is something they are very outspoken against.

lol

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's true tho

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fight forever, Guardian

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Midnight Coup with explosive rounds feels really good in the hand.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I wonder if any of the TFS/Episode plans have morphed since this post last year

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/destiny-showcase-2023-recap

These two are particularly interesting, in hindsight:

On the matter of each Episode's 6-week Acts
"Legendary weapons, additional Artifact perks, and 200 Pass ranks split across the three Acts. The first 100 ranks and their rewards will be available during the initial Act of each Episode, and the second and third Acts will each have 50 more ranks. It’s a similar idea for the Artifacts perks: the first Act will have 25 available and establish a particular meta, then the two following Acts will unlock another five perks each"

Hopefully that's a new ROW of artifact powers each act, and not a new column. That would be lame if the real juicy artifact perks weren't available until the final 6 weeks of each 18 week episode.
Timegating the seasonal legendary weapon pool is certainly a choice.
100 -> 200 season track rewards probably means more fluff. I can't imagine it means two armor ornament sets instead of 1. Kinda lame to have four of the ornaments unlocked but the Helmet is locked behind Act 3

On the matter of power level
"While many activities will still scale with player Power, the campaigns and free roaming destinations will no longer ask you to level up to experience them as they are intended. This way, the story of The Final Shape and Destiny 2's other expansions will always feel fair and exciting, no matter your Power level"

That's great that I won't have to use a ton of Upgrade Modules every mission of the Legendary Campaign, but also sounds like they're using the Neomuna Plan for patrol zone power :negative:

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Gotta get those engagement numbers up, timegating is cheap and easy way to do it. That’s why everything is super timegated besides the launch.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still don't play on continuing after Final Shape, so it doesn't really matter to me. We'll see if they stick some sort of a landing though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBA Starblade posted:

I still don't play on continuing after Final Shape, so it doesn't really matter to me. We'll see if they stick some sort of a landing though.

Wellllll, final shape and Echoes are apparently highly interconnected. The campaign's 7 missions are reportedly somewhat of a prologue for Echoes. The Pale Heart zone isn't even fully 'Live' until a few weeks of Echoes content

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Wellllll, final shape and Echoes are apparently highly interconnected. The campaign's 7 missions are reportedly somewhat of a prologue for Echoes. The Pale Heart zone isn't even fully 'Live' until a few weeks of Echoes content

Lmao

The Next To Final Shape

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is that the case? I thought the 8th mission is a post raid thing, and I think they talked about there being stuff in the pale heart post raid/campaign, but I wasn't clear that was Echoes? (Neomuna had some post campaign stuff, albeit not big.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Echoes is literally week 2 of TFS, and is "important for getting a cohesive and satisfying story experience", so I would say yes.

I don't mean to split hairs on what is part of TFS and what is part of Echoes (especially murky since TFS Standard includes Echoes), but we will definitely need to log in for more than Week 1 to fully experience the final shape SKU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Oxyclean posted:

Is that the case? I thought the 8th mission is a post raid thing, and I think they talked about there being stuff in the pale heart post raid/campaign, but I wasn't clear that was Echoes? (Neomuna had some post campaign stuff, albeit not big.)

Hot off the presses:

https://twitter.com/catamykx/status/1781408835783311364?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

https://twitter.com/catamykx/status/1781408838278930850?s=46&t=DT925tMY54SwGEv9vbPHUw

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just realized that people who log in to play the TFS Campaign on Saturday are probably gonna immediately get the Raid-Completed spoiler cutscene

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Has anyone else had the 'bonus round' happen after the boss round? About 5 or so tormentors spawned in, but we suddenly had mayhem uptime on our abilities.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Has anyone else had the 'bonus round' happen after the boss round? About 5 or so tormentors spawned in, but we suddenly had mayhem uptime on our abilities.

Yes and just once, no clue what caused it. Score or time presumably but it wasn't a terribly notable run by either standard.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm under the impression it's random and doesn't seem to give anything extra besides recharging your bits tbh. It's fun tho. So many Blade Barrages :kimchi:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Gets you a ton of progress on the “kill those guys in Onslaught” triumph, at least

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I've done the bonus round a few times, and IIRC, you get extra brave coin for each tormentor kill. I think most I've killed in a round is like 6, but usually get 5, so it's like half a weapon roll. Again, assuming I'm remembering correctly.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I just keep hearing good things about mayhem.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

el B posted:

I just keep hearing good things about mayhem.

like what?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Turn your monitor on.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man this last campaign boss fight against Calus on legendary is bullshit. Bullet sponge tormentors add zero to the gameplay and I can't believe Bungie is making an entire faction around such a lame enemy.

And to make this fight even worse there's a million directions to get knocked off of.

I also don't get the limited revives when legendary gives such lovely rewards. I'm just doing it for the rank up, because the LIghtfall story/campaign blows rear end.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Mustang posted:

Man this last campaign boss fight against Calus on legendary is bullshit. Bullet sponge tormentors add zero to the gameplay and I can't believe Bungie is making an entire faction around such a lame enemy.

And to make this fight even worse there's a million directions to get knocked off of.

I also don't get the limited revives when legendary gives such lovely rewards. I'm just doing it for the rank up, because the LIghtfall story/campaign blows rear end.

Run strand so you can use the grapple to recover. There are grabby points all around so you get the instant refund. The super also does a bazillion % extra damage to him. Linears or HMGs against the tormentors. But yes it does suck and literally all of us hated it on release too.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
lmao I had forgotten about the grapple, I've been using strand but with mothkeepers so I've been spamming moths everywhere for my grenade instead

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Stay on the starting platform after clearing the trash from it, only jump off to the sides temporarily to avoid Calus' orange bullshit. Use your primary to whittle Calus down and save your special/heavy. When the tormentor spawns, use a blinding GL to keep it docile and kill it quickly with a machine gun. You can take as long as you want to damage Calus in the first phase, he's not really a threat.

Once you enter the second phase, Calus takes much more damage from all sources, especially Strand. Dump all the damage you have into him and then grapple punch him until he falls over.

I don't know if it still works, but you used to be able to cheese the second phase by staying outside the bubble and grappling on top of it. You don't get teleported in and you can shoot Calus while only the psions can shoot you back.

It's still not a fun encounter and pretty anticlimactic, imo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Run strand so you can use the grapple to recover. There are grabby points all around so you get the instant refund. The super also does a bazillion % extra damage to him. Linears or HMGs against the tormentors. But yes it does suck and literally all of us hated it on release too.
It didn't help that when you were doing the campaign initially you didn't have a proper strand build and had to do with whatever random poo poo you got from activating the strand node. I assume it just gave you the abilities, no aspects or fragments.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Mustang posted:

Cheese it by hiding under the steps for the first phase and plink away at the enemies. Then hop out on to the outer walkway to trigger the final phase, and as the bubble forms, grapple up to the top, outside of it. Standing on top of it you can fire down through it to finish off the boss. This is The Official Correct Way to fight Calus.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 21, 2024

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

IkeTurner posted:

Cheese it by hiding under the steps for the first phase and plink away at the enemies. Then hop out on to the outer walkway to trigger the final phase, and as the bubble forms, grapple up to the top, outside of it. Standing on top of it you can fire down through it to finish off the boss. This is The Official Correct Way to fight Calus.

Steps cheese got patched, it's now much harder to get there. Key for me was controlling the tormentors with suspends, blinding, whatever. Pop their shoulders so they charge and when you can see the whites of their eyes, suspend em and blast em. Once you've killed them Calus dies fast enough.

You can shoot down his orange seeker projectiles and just step forward to avoid his blast the platform attack.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

It didn't help that when you were doing the campaign initially you didn't have a proper strand build and had to do with whatever random poo poo you got from activating the strand node. I assume it just gave you the abilities, no aspects or fragments.

You get one aspect and I believe one fragment for the last two missions whenever you activate strand in them. Depending on your class they're of pretty varying usefulness but it's something, I guess.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
The main issue was it depended what exotic/Build you were running. It absolutely juiced your ability Regen so if you were running like star eaters or hoil you just buzzsawed through, but if you were running something subclass specific well sucks to suck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Calus takes huge extra mega massive damage from Strand abilities.

You're meant to use your grapple melee and super on him so that he dies in a minute or two

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Calus takes huge extra mega massive damage from Strand abilities.

You're meant to use your grapple melee and super on him so that he dies in a minute or two

Seriously, Tangles gently caress him up real, real bad.

Also, I'm telling you, for the Tormentors, USE IZANAGI'S BURDEN. You can abuse the walkways to keep them far away from you in a straight line and you can just pop them very safely.

If you're a Hunter, use Assassin's Cowl. Free healing and invis on every grapple. Same with Warlocks and Karnstein.
If you're a Titan........I dunno how Titans can abuse Strand for infinite health. Presumably some kind of very fancy hat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Titans can run solar and wear Lorely Splendor! Even when you activate fake strand mode, you are still running solar technically, and so you'll poop out a nice healing sunspot any time you get wounded or cast your barricade!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Presumably some kind of very fancy hat.

:smug:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MJeff posted:

Seriously, Tangles gently caress him up real, real bad.

Also, I'm telling you, for the Tormentors, USE IZANAGI'S BURDEN. You can abuse the walkways to keep them far away from you in a straight line and you can just pop them very safely.

If you're a Hunter, use Assassin's Cowl. Free healing and invis on every grapple. Same with Warlocks and Karnstein.
If you're a Titan........I dunno how Titans can abuse Strand for infinite health. Presumably some kind of very fancy hat.

Banner of War is, imho, the very fanciest of hats.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sadly you don't get to pick the aspects & fragments of your choosing for the LF Campaign

A discussion of "What is the best healiest strand build?" is gonna differ from "what's the best build for the calus fight?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You could if you beat it on normal, unlocked all of Strand, then went and did it again on Legendary, but that seems like more effort than just....doing it on Legendary.