Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Moon Slayer posted:

Get ready to get mad.

AITA for not inviting my mentally unstable cousin to my wedding

Now, there's nothing that conclusively proves they had booked a former plantation, but ...
I am utterly delighted that this person's wedding imploded. gently caress you and your bigotry, lady.
And it was absolutely a plantation- much like how she wouldn't outright *say* things because she Knew They Were Bad, she knows drat well plantations are bad and she wanted to get hitched at one anyway.

Verdict: :guillotine:

Shanghaied posted:

A heartwarming story in which a POC and a racist POS is brought together by the sheer stupidity of woman who doesn't believe in the concept of poison.

AITA for calling my mom's husband a piece of poo poo?
"Act your age! Now stop being difficult and help me poison the dog, poison is just an alarmist conspiracy!"

Verdict: :guillotine:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
"But what if just a poison the dog a little bit, as a treat?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like OP probably just shouldn't talk to his psycho mom who married someone who's so racist that he won't allow OP into his house but I guess I respect OP for just putting up with this bullshit to try to save the dog.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
e: situation addressed

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 21, 2024

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the OP and cousin's relationship was damaged in the past (for understandable reasons) and I think none of the responsible adults did anything to try to repair or maintain that relationship. further, come the wedding, they escalated the situation with threats even when the cousin had decided they would prefer not to attend anyway

I don't think the cousin ever received a valid invitation. OP sending her nonbinary relative an invite and highlighting that she insists they wear a dress and conform to a gender identity they absolutely don't identify with, is not the kind of invite that the cousin "decided to prefer not to attend." I mean, yes, I'm sure they don't want to attend, but that's because most people don't wish to crash a party they're uninvited to, and even though op used the magic word "invite", both op and cousin are clear how unwelcome at the event cousin is.

Family members not attending when their close relative they value is unwelcome is not escalating, that's also pretty normal.

I do agree with you that a ball was dropped earlier though, OP is a horribly bigoted and shallow person, it's beyond belief that her mother didn't notice this earlier and try to influence a better path.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

it would have been so extremely simple and easy for you to avoid misgendering that person simply by using the exact phrase seen a billion times in the post, "cousin", and yet.

I honestly didn't read the story and laffo thats what I get for going off OPs subject line. Lemme go tweak that post, feel free to edit the quote too.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 21, 2024

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't know if we're still doing 'best of' previous threads, but I was reminded of this one:

AITA for losing my temper at SIL after she ruined the meal I made?

quote:

My SIL (Ashley) is, for lack of a nicer word, obnoxious. She constantly does whatever she wants, even when you ask her not to. She thinks she's right above everyone else, even when she's dead wrong. And she's just got this very stereotypical baby sister attitude where she acts like she can do whatever she wants and nobody is allowed to be mad at her because "she's baby!" (yes that's something she regularly says). My husband says she's the youngest of their family so her acting that way is normal. But I pointed out I'm the youngest of my family and I've never acted that way. I don't like SIL but I've been polite and kept a peaceful relationship for my husband's sake.

Until today. Today was the first time since 2019 that my husband or I have been able to see our small friend group in person. We all got our shots 2 months ago and decided to meet up finally for dinner. I cooked while our friends either pitched in ingredients, made appetizers, or brought wine. I made pasta ravioli by hand, which was HARD. I made enough for me, hubs, and our friends. But after they arrived and we all caught up while I was finishing the food SIL showed up. She let herself in and greeted everyone happily. They know her and said hi, but I subtly asked Hubs what she was doing here. Turns out he'd mentioned the gathering to her and he guessed she assumed she was invited? I told him to tell her to leave, because she can't just invite herself like this. He said that would be humiliating for her and asked if she could stay. I was annoyed but agreed.

Things were fine at the start, I had a few sips of wine to relax and was about to plate everyone's food at the kitchen island and bring it to them but forgot parmesan so went to get it. I heard SIL say she'd help bring the food to the table, I said no thanks and to stay seated. My back was to her and she said something I missed because of the loud CLANG of a pot hitting the floor. I heard everyone gasp and I closed my eyes. I knew what happened but didn't want to look. When I did I just started crying. HOURS of work splattered on the floor. SIL said it was okay, it was "just some pasta, I'll buy more".

I lost it. I called her a stupid bitch that ruined the entire dinner because she refuses to listen. She started boo-hooing and I told her to shut up and leave. She ran out crying and I sat down to cry too.

Our friends consoled me and Hubs tried to say I went too far but our friends told him he was an rear end in a top hat and SIL was in the wrong. They helped clean and we ordered pizza. But after they left Hubs and I were flooded with calls from his family saying I was a horrible spoiled brat who made their baby cry over some stupid food. Now I'm just crying and feeling like garbage. Did I go too far? I don't usually get so angry or curse. AITA?

***edit-***Hubs said he understands I'm upset the food was wasted but he doesn't think my outburst was warranted and was actually kind of extreme. Tomorrow is his off day and I told him he's going to be making the dish like I did, by hand and on his own and then at the end we'll see if he thinks my 'outburst' was unwarranted.

***edit two-***welp! Hubs made pasta for the first time today! And it went much like I'd anticipated. He was all confidence and 'it'll be easy!' during the first 30 minutes. But towards the end of the first hour that disappeared as the burn in his arms really set in from making enough dough for almost 60 ravioli. I did not lift a finger to help him knead since I didn't get any help when I did it.

After the dough was done and wrapped up in the fridge he made the filling, which took another 40 or so minutes. Then the dough was brought out and he had to start crafting the ravioli, all by hand after rolling the dough out. Lord that went on for ages. Just rolling some dough out, cutting out squares, filling them and putting the top on, rinse and repeat until the dough and filling was all gone.

All in all the entire process from start to finish for him on his own took a little over 4 hours! :) And that's with us not actually COOKING any of the ravioli. Also he didn't make any sauce or cook any shrimp for the ravioli to be served in/with. Also he didn't prepare any salad to go with it. And when I told him this (that there was still more to do) he almost started crying.

He started saying sorry at the 1 hour mark and hasn't stopped apologizing since.

We had a long talk about his sister and the dinner she ruined, the other times she's pulled similar incidents (there's a lot), and how him and his family always let her get away with it. He says he knows how they treat her isn't normal and he doesn't like it but was raised to just 'go with the flow' regarding Ashley. But he said he's going to call her and tell her we need some space from her for now.

update?Hubs just got a message from his cousin of Ashley laughing and bragging about intentionally spilling the pasta to 'teach me a lesson' for being 'such a snobby bitch'. A handful of you all thought she did it on purpose but I didn't actually think she did until hearing her admit to it.

I have never seen my husband this pissed off before. Idk what's going to happen now...

Four months later...

(UPDATE) AITA for losing my temper at SIL after she ruined the meal I made?

quote:

Hi, everyone. So SO much has happened since the pasta fiasco that I'd honestly completely forgotten about this account until this morning. When I logged on I saw that I had a bunch of requests for an update so here I am. I was going to post this in an edit on my original post but it ended up being way too long. Someone said I should post it in the comments but they're locked so I decided to just make my own post and put a link to it in the original AITA post since I'm not sure how to do an official update post on the am i the ahole sub sorry.

So for the update. Like I said, a LOT happened since then. I'll try to remember all of it. But be warned I'm just going to put down everything as I remember it, and try make it in order. But its been like four months so I may not do it perfectly. Here goes:

So SIL bragged to her and Hub's cousin (Brenda) that she ruined the dinner on purpose
Hubs went to confront his family, SIL denied everything til Hubs played the recording.
Hubs banned SIL from our house until she apologized to me sincerely and reimbursed us for all of the wasted food.
SIL went ballistic, sobbing and throwing a massive tantrum until MIL tried calming her down and scolding Hubs for 'choosing some floozy over your blood family'.
Hubs apparently flipped and called out his family on their weird babying of SIL, saying they'd made her into a spoiled monster. This just started a huge screaming match between all of them before Hubs said he wasn't speaking to them for the foreseeable future before storming out.
That's when he called me and told me to block all of his family and before I could hang up I started getting tons of calls/texts from all of them just saying the most hateful stuff to me.
All of my socials (from my personal insta to my work email) were bombarded with hate until I managed to block all of them (but it took weeks for them to all stop).
The only people in Hubs family who weren't harassing us were his paternal grandparents, his maternal grandmother, a few of his cousins on both sides, and his paternal aunts/uncles. Actually I think all of the hate was from his maternal side though not all of them.
After blocking them all things were peaceful until a few weeks later our friend's (Kelly) car was vandalized really bad when she stayed at our house for the weekend. I'm talking the sides were keyed, all the tires were slashed, the windows were spray painted, and they even tore off the tag and shoved it down into the driver side door where the window slides down.
We checked the doorbell cam and it was SIL and BIL. Seems they mistook Kelly's car for mine (I lent my car to my mom since hers needed new tires and I could use Hubs if needed) since both Kelly and my car are black.
Needless to say we called the cops and Kelly pressed charges on both of them. Thankfully with the video evidence she said she was able to make a no fault claim against Ashley (who had insurance) and Kelly got her repairs paid for (though barely..).
SIL and BIL getting arrested caused a huge rift in Hubs family between those who don't think it was necessary that they be arrested (most think they should have just paid for repairs out of pocket) and those who think they got what was coming to them. Also the arrest cost BIL his job at a university? Hubs cousin Brenda who is keeping us in the loop told us that anyways. We didn't look into it.
Brenda also informed us that during the whole family drama thing it was revealed that Ashley is only their half sister. According to the maternal grandmother anyways. Seems she verbally tore MIL to pieces after MIL insinuated SIL 'hadn't done anything to deserve this treatment'. Brenda said their grandmother said "You felt bad that your husband didn't love her because he knew she was just your shameful affair baby! So you loved her more than your other kids in some twisted effort to make up for it! And you pulled your other kids into doing it too and all you did was succeed in spoiling her rotten!"
Brenda told us more but that part is what really stuck in my mind. Honestly hearing all of that was unbelievable for me. I had no idea this level of drama was buried in my husband's family. Then again neither did he. And all of this snowballed from a ruined ravioli dinner.

Hubs and I have decided to distance ourselves from that part of his family for now. After handing Kelly a copy of the video of SIL and BIL tearing up her car we more or less washed our hands of dealing with them all. And I've been way less stressed lately, Hubs too that we've both noticed. So not a terrible end?

Not sure who will see this update but I'll be logging out of this account after a while since I think everything is mostly over. Thanks for reading and extra thanks for everyone who sent me so many kind messages after my first post. It made me feel a lot better. :)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Laying it on a little thick there isn't she

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The Chad Jihad posted:

Laying it on a little thick there isn't she

Yeah you have to portion your raviolo filling carefully or it won't cook evenly.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

mystes posted:

I feel like OP probably just shouldn't talk to his psycho mom who married someone who's so racist that he won't allow OP into his house but I guess I respect OP for just putting up with this bullshit to try to save the dog.

I cannot imagine the type of person who has a mixed race child and marries someone who is openly racist but also she’s too stupid to understand the concept of poisoning so

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hubs

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

AITAH for leaving my perfect boyfriend because he’s Christian?Advice Needed

quote:

322 points 1,032 comments submitted 3 months ago by Avian_Alien to r/AITAH

It’s not JUST the religion differences, but it’s the biggest part.
I’m too upset to go in to FULL detail right now but the gist of it is this.
I (F20) met my now ex boyfriend (M20) of seven months because the longer we were together the more I realised that if we stay we would only hurt each other in the future by trying to have a family.
I have always picked awful, drug addicted, abusive men in my life, my family and friends agree with me on that wholeheartedly. But this new guy let’s call him Lucky, Lucky was completely different in the sense that I chose him a little bit at random, and I met him in a much different way to how I met all the other men I’ve dated. Not to mention he’s from another country, very sweet, is very traditional and actually asked me to be his girlfriend instead of it just happening.
But Lucky was Zionist Christian, I wasn’t bothered by this and thought it could really interesting and that he may even give me some new looks on life. This didn’t happen, it only got worse and worse with more and more little things he said. Fast forward a month or so and we’re talking about our plans for the future some more and how we want to raise children. We both want to have kids and also adopt.
I did not realise that he was THIS religious. He’s a creationist, and he wants me to also go to church with him and the kids as well, he wants a wedding in a church and he wants to go weekly yada yada… I can’t do that. I also can’t stand his rudeness and his attitude towards some of our gorgeous Australian animals but I’m not gonna get in to that in this post…
Edit: I forgot to add that other than all this, he’s just perfect. He’s gorgeous, he’s so smart aside from thinking we didn’t evolve in to humans, he’s multilingual, he’s traditional, he wants almost the same future as I do and is happy to let me homeschool. Also another important thing to mention is that he lets his cat outside. The first cat he and his family had disappeared and allegedly died and so they replaced it immediately with a kitten that they are already letting outside like the last one.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My [22F] left-wing boyfriend's [31M] life has been taken over by conspiracy theories
(self.relationship_advice)

quote:

My boyfriend has always been a left wing guy. Part of what I liked about him is that he believes in things and has been involved in various good causes. However, the combination of Bernie losing the dem primary and COVID seems to have changed him into a completely different person and I’m scared of who he has become. He started following supposedly far leftist people on and reading various weird conspiracy sites, it started off relatively small like how he kept going on about how Biden was a corporate stooge or how Warren was a plant by the DNC to take away votes from Bernie; stuff where maybe there was an element of truth but where a narrative of maliciousness was created where there wasn’t really. It kept getting more extreme though; when the BLM protests started he wouldn’t get involved with any of the protests despite having been involved before with them and everyone asking him to.

When our POC friends tried to educate him on why the protests were important he kept saying that BLM was CIA backed and it was designed to alienate the working classes from each other. Whenever anyone would explain that the there’s literally no evidence for that and that he was basically repeating a far right conspiracy he literally calls us all sheep and that we're blinded by our 'ideology'.
From there he has really spiralled, he refused to vote for Biden and called him a rapist and kept pushing all of those discredited Ukraine stories. Whenever I tried to show him how that was discredited by the NYT he called me an ‘idiot’ for believing the NYT and that it was democrat propaganda. He said he didn’t vote for Trump but it honestly wouldn’t surprise me; right before election day he posted this big rant on facebook about how Biden was a puppet of the neocons and the ‘military industrial complex’.

Some other conspiracies he now shares include:
9/11 was planned by a sinister cabal of people in government, the military and the CIA (according to him the CIA is basically responsible for everthing that happens everywhere)

Corbyn (british left wing guy accused of being anti semitic) was set up by ‘powerful Zionists’
Literally every Epstein conspiracy ever even ones that contradict each other

A certain very famous and beloved film director is the head of Hollywood pedophile group that basically includes 90% of famous people (he keeps accusing famous people of being pedos or being friends with epstein)
I know these are all massive loving neon red flags, but I think that this year has basically destroyed his mental health and I feel like I can’t leave him like this because it will just lead him to spiral into a really dark place. To his credit, he hasn’t really got into the coronavirus conspiracies, he says that he is neutral, though he has recently started saying that the drug companies were exaggerating their vaccine results to inflate their share prices so I’m really worried he’s falling down that rabbithole as well.

Has anyone else dealt with this, and has anyone else managed to save a loved one from this conspiracy madness?

Any similarities between this post and real life posters are entirely coincidental

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Butter Activities posted:

My [22F] left-wing boyfriend's [31M] life has been taken over by conspiracy theories

Any similarities between this post and real life posters are entirely coincidental
Look, first of all, we only have a 4 year age gap..

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

AITAH for leaving my perfect boyfriend because he’s Christian?Advice Needed

If you thought his takes on Australian wildlife are bad, ask him about palestinian war casualties

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Take out the age gap and flip the genders and I might be legit concerned my husband is a redditor

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sounds like he got hooked on Jimmy Dore

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

I also can’t stand his rudeness and his attitude towards some of our gorgeous Australian animals but I’m not gonna get in to that in this post…

NTA, don't date anyone who doesn't respect the cassowary

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Girlfriend has a secret conversation every morning and it’s making me crazy

quote:

My girlfriend (26f) and I (32m) have been dating for a few months. My work switched to full home working recently so I started staying over more and things have been great - apart from one issue. When I used to stay over and get up early for work my gf would stay in bed until after I left. As soon as I started working from here she became an instant early riser, always getting up maybe twenty minutes before me. When she asked me about it she says she just likes “a quiet coffee” in the mornings. I got up early a couple of times, made fresh coffee and handed her a cup so we could enjoy it together but wherever I sit, she would go and sit elsewhere. This has been really getting to me so I pressed the point and said it would be nice to sit together in the mornings. It didn’t go great and when I tried to sit with her the next day (I am seeing red even as I type this) she went in her office and locked the door behind her. She did this several days in a row last week and when I try to bring it up she says she doesn’t want to talk about it. Yesterday was my day off so I stayed in bed, waited till she got up for her ‘quiet coffee’ and I crept up to the office and as I suspected, she’s talking to someone. She was speaking very softly so I couldn’t make it out but it sounded like an intimate conversation. I’ve barely spoken to her since and don’t know what to say - how do you address this when she refuses to even speak about it? What is she getting from another relationship when I am with her 24/7 the last two weeks? I do have a small camera I could put in her office, I know it’s wrong but this is driving me crazy and if I need to confront her it will be easier with all the evidence.

Tldr girlfriend gets up every morning for a secret conversation, won’t discuss it with me, and it’s driving me crazy

AITA for wanting to know who my girlfriend was speaking to every morning?

quote:

I noticed recently that my girlfriend was avoiding me in the mornings, only for a short period of time but every single day and insisting she just wants a quiet coffee on her own. I happened to hear her talking to someone during one of these morning sessions and obviously wanted to know who she’s talking to every single morning. Today when she got up and went to make coffee I took her mug and wouldn’t let her have it, I was only joking at first but it turned worse with her saying “Just give me my mug!” and I lost my temper and said “Just tell me who you’re loving cheating on me with!”

This is where I think I’m the rear end in a top hat maybe because it was some thing she’s been doing every day since her dad died almost a year ago, she talks to him every morning while she drinks her coffee. Just chats about her day or whatever. Obviously I backed off right away and sat down i told her it’s fine and she should keep doing it, I want her to and I just needed to know. I just thought she was talking to some other guy. She shook her head and said it was just a silly thing and she couldn’t keep doing it now she had to talk about it. I don’t know why me knowing what she’s doing makes a difference and would have avoided this whole thing. She seemed sad but she was smiling so I went in the bedroom but just a minute later I heard her crying really, really hard. I went back and she was saying he’s gone now, he’s really gone so I said are you talking about your dad and she just got up and ran out the door. She has not answered my texts and then about an hour ago her brother came to the door and called me a loving rear end in a top hat and worse, I honestly thought he was going to hit me. He took some of her stuff and said she won’t be home tonight. I never meant to upset her and it is not unreasonable to want to know who your partner is talking to every morning, I am sorry she got upset but am I really in the wrong here?

Going to be homeless because my girlfriend won’t talk to me

quote:

My girlfriend and me had an argument last week over coffee of all things, it got out of hand and she went to stay somewhere else to cool off. Now she is only speaking to me through her brother who hates me anyway so I don’t have any chance to set things right. He is saying I need to move out in three days so she can come home but I have nowhere to go and can’t get a place of my own so fast. I know if I could talk to her we could get past this but everything is going through him and I am sure he is twisting her words and mine to keep us apart. She has blocked me on everything and her phone is here so I can’t call or text her. What can I do to get past her brother who is trying to keep us apart? I need to set things straight or I’m going to be homeless.

edit: she has taken some leave from her job but her work phone and laptop are here so I could possibly use her job to convince her to speak with me.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
Australian wildlife is prima facie proof against the existence of a loving god

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

I cannot imagine the type of person who has a mixed race child and marries someone who is openly racist but also she’s too stupid to understand the concept of poisoning so

My MIL has three mixed race children and was openly racist both in front of and directly about them, my FIL, and the extended family right from the start.

Unsurprisingly they're all no contact now. This one doesn't even tickle my surprised meter.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

quote:

To his credit, he hasn’t really got into the coronavirus conspiracies, he says that he is neutral

Staying neutral regarding COVID-19. You know, just hasn't made up his mind about a thing that actually happened. This is to his credit, you see.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sanford posted:

edit: she has taken some leave from her job but her work phone and laptop are here so I could possibly use her job to convince her to speak with me.]

Go for it champ!!!!!

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Sanford posted:

Girlfriend has a secret conversation every morning and it’s making me crazy

AITA for wanting to know who my girlfriend was speaking to every morning?

Going to be homeless because my girlfriend won’t talk to me

This guy goes fully mask off in the end huh.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The Alchemist posted:

This guy goes fully mask off in the end huh.

Pretty much lol.

lmao dead dad aside, they have been dating for "a few months," but are already living together. And he's been "with her 24/7" lol? Maybe she just needed twenty minutes to herself each morning to get the gently caress away from the OP lol.

I suggest the OP impersonate his ex to get hold of her phone records to get to the bottom of all this!

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The comments deserve a post of their own.

quote:

No the house belongs to her although I have a key and do live here full time
~
I don’t drive and don’t have much money right now. Also I need internet access for my job and I have been using a laptop that isn’t mine. I need to talk to her or I’m finished, I know we can sort this out buther brother is deliberately preventing it
~
I haven’t got anywhere else to go, I am not using homeless lightly. I have not been contributing so far as I am trying to deal with the lease on my old place but I was planning to very shortly. My girlfriend owns the house outright so I wasn’t shorting her by not contributing to rent or anything.
~
We have been together a few months, I have been living here a few weeks due to a problem with the lease at my old place. One of the problems her brother has with me is because his friend’s dad owns my old building so it’s obviously nothing to do with me and his sister, he’s just being a dick. I don’t have a lot of stuff, probably a suitcase of clothes and a few other items. I’ve not been able to collect my stuff from my old apartment. My big problem is having no access to a computer as I can’t do my job without that and I have been using a laptop here. I only have about $400 right now and another $70 in cash.
~
I had a dispute with the landlord and he won’t let me collect my belongings.
~
You would get on well with him as you are both so determined to take the worst possible view on everything
~
Are you just making up your own story here? I fell out with the landlord so I moved out, a totally normal thing to do. This is completely unrelated and I have given her brother no reason to have a problem with me, ever.
~
I broke the lease on my apartment so I can’t go back there. It is very hard to get anywhere here without a reference and I doubt I have enough for a deposit. Most of my money is tied up in various deals right now and I would take a big loss if I tried to pull it back.
~
Her brother has threatened to literally drag me out if I am not gone by Wednesday
~
I am genuinely looking for advice on how to get round her shithead brother and make her listen to me. This is not a big argument and we can settle it easily I just need to talk to her! What am I meant to do just go oh gently caress her brother says it over I’ll just pack my poo poo and go live in a park?
~
Her brother is bullying though? Standing between two adults using his physical size to stop them from talking to each other. He is the one that has used abuseive language, he is the one that has threatened violence, he is the one who is threatening to make someone homeless. If I posted this from the other side “I am a landlord and I am using my brother to make someone homeless in three days and refusing to let them speak ” you guys would be all over it. How is this advice

Bolding mine, my favourite bits.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 21, 2024

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

How do you even find that?! I mean I look for a lot of content in this thread, but a 3 year old post with 5 upvotes and 13 comments? How did you even come across it?

Content: remember this year old food post?
AITA for buying lower grade steaks when my in-laws visit and serving my mom and dad Wagyu.

quote:

My wife and I live far away from both of our sets of parents. We visit them a couple of times a year and they visit us about the same.

My mom and dad love food. They will buy pounds of garlic and leave it in a rice maker for a month to make black garlic. They plan their vacations around amazing restaurants.

My in-laws are lovely people but boiling chicken drumsticks is fancy for them. And they refuse to eat steak that isn't well done.

I discovered this the first time I went to their home for dinner. I wasn't even asked how I like my steak. Everyone got a well done steak.

It took me years to convince my wife to try a medium rare steak. Now she loves them.

I bought some beautiful prime steak for them when they came over when we moved in together. I made theirs medium well, and I died a little inside. Her dad took it back to the grill and destroyed them. So now I buy Select grade meat.

I've been buying some excellent quality Wagyu for when my parents visit. Not every single time. Maybe once a year.

My wife says I'm being an rear end in a top hat by not treating both families the same.

I don't think I should waste money on great food for them when I know how they will treat it.

Literally 13 months later:

quote:

A year ago a bunch of people gave me crap for buying cheap meat for my in-laws and getting high quality meat for myself and my family.

If you will recall that is because my father-in-law likes his steak to be turned into shoe leather.

So I decided to treat him and my MIL this time around. We visited with my folks for Easter and we went to visit my in-laws the next weekend.

I brought A5 Wagyu steaks for the two of them. And just nice rib eyes for my wife and I.

I reminded him that these steaks are super rich and are meant to be eaten rare. He said he knew what he was doing.

Anyways he set his smoker on fire. I will not be providing Wagyu for them again. It is literally like setting $400 on fire.

I swear the in-laws are cartoon/sitcom characters.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Ask him what he thinks about Caleb Maupin.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
See if you can spot the Golden Child

AITAH for announcing our pregnancy at my brother's wedding after he proposed at mine.

quote:

My brother said he was going to propose at my wedding. I told him no. That it was a day about myself and my wife and we did not want any distractions.

My mom lost her poo poo. She said that he wanted family he night not see again for a while to be a part of the proposal. I said I did not give a poo poo and that if he did it I would have him kicked out.

He did it. And my mom said if I tried kicking him out she would leave too.

I just remember seething inside.

My brother got married last weekend. Instead of a welcome to the family toast I used the time to announce that we were expecting our first baby.

My mom was upset but my grandmother told her to sit down and shut up. We spent most of the reception talking to family we would not see again for a while about our coming baby.

My mom says I was an rear end in a top hat for taking attention away from my brother on his wedding day. She got really mad when I reminded her that she threatened to leave my wedding if I kicked him out after he proposed. I have the screen cap of the text messages.
Excellent revenge, OP. Also, that grandma kicks rear end.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Sanford posted:

I have not been contributing so far as I am trying to deal with the lease on my old place but I was planning to very shortly. My girlfriend owns the house outright so I wasn’t shorting her by not contributing to rent or anything.
~
Most of my money is tied up in various deals right now and I would take a big loss if I tried to pull it back.
~
If I posted this from the other side “I am a landlord and I am using my brother to make someone homeless in three days and refusing to let them speak ” you guys would be all over it. How is this advice

Ahaha so good lol.

How much you wanna bet his primary reason for moving in with her was because he couldn't make rent because of his "deals," and was evicted from his old place and the landlord is holding his poo poo until he pays up?

Also your ex is not your landlord my guy, you haven't been paying her rent lol.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The term I've seen for dudes like that is "hobosexual" - someone whose relationships are primarily driven by how quickly they can move in with that person and start mooching off them for housing/food/transportation.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
The "deals" are either NFT or some other MLM scam

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

NGDBSS posted:

Ask him what he thinks about Caleb Maupin.

The greatest leftist thinker of our generation?

The Alchemist posted:

The "deals" are either NFT or some other MLM scam

He's waiting for Bed Bath & Beyond shares to go to the moon.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

FMguru posted:

The term I've seen for dudes like that is "hobosexual" - someone whose relationships are primarily driven by how quickly they can move in with that person and start mooching off them for housing/food/transportation.

But what do the women get out of these?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The Alchemist posted:

r/relationships: But what do the women get out of these?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

FMguru posted:

Oh, I've heard them called "drummers"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Alchemist posted:

But what do the women get out of these?
A boyfriend.

I get the sense that these dudes prey on women who are a little bit withdrawn, social awkward, and lonely, and hit them with 50,000 candlepower of attention and love bombing, and they are so dazzled by having a guy who is totally into them just drop into their lives that it takes them a while to notice that they're being used.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

FMguru posted:

A boyfriend.

I get the sense that these dudes prey on women who are a little bit withdrawn, social awkward, and lonely, and hit them with 50,000 candlepower of attention and love bombing, and they are so dazzled by having a guy who is totally into them just drop into their lives that it takes them a while to notice that they're being used.

Her dad just died and he’s six years older. Just saying.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A small update to that story about that awful woman who blew up her wedding because she couldn't stop being a transphobic piece of poo poo: A BORU editor managed to spot what appears to be the OP's sockpuppet account where she publicly supported OP and insulted all of OP's critics.

Comments were deleted but preserved here: https://undelete.pullpush.io/r/TrueOffMyChest/comments/1c35em9/comment/kzf0vjt/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Some examples:

quote:

I just don’t like assholes in our community as a bi woman. Like we don’t want whiny babies who police what people can and can’t do. Plus the cousin sounds like a psychopath. The Barbie incident!!! The incident of throwing a temper tantrum because she didn’t want to go the beach but also didn’t want them to leave without her. Now the wedding. It’s a vicious cycle with HER.

quote:

Dude. Enough. The cousin is an rear end in a top hat. Who cares what she calls the cousin? Ok?? THAT’S NOT THE POINT.

quote:

Nope. I just don’t side with assholes like the cousin. ROSE needs to realize she is mentally unstable and def in the wrong here.
The Barbie incident!!!

Sanford posted:

Her dad just died and he’s six years older. Just saying.
Yeah, he knew exactly what he was doing when he targeted her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Alchemist posted:

If you thought his takes on Australian wildlife are bad, ask him about palestinian war casualties

What was his take on the Emu War?