Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Doc Fission posted:

I'm doing the Ginger Island content for the first time. I am not the best dungeon crawler in this game so how am I supposed to get to the 10th level? Please advise :cry:

Do you at least have the galaxy sword and two iridium bands? How do you heal? I always carry a stack of 20 gold star cheese with me on any dungeon dive. Keep an eye on your health and eat cheese in between monsters if your health drops below half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Playing for the first time in awhile and decided to try mods for the first time so I downloaded this collection of 400 of 'em and wow, it's surprising how significant the changes are. So many new characters, so much more everything, and I haven't even explored the added major areas yet.
On this same topic is there a way to download and install multiple mods at a time to the Steamdeck or would I need to download every mod individually to my PC then transfer them across to my Steamdeck mods folder via SSH?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2024

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The player character is always such an oddity in these games. Even when an HM / SoS game has a wealthy npc, they're usually like a stuffy aristocratic sort of old money. I want a legit rival

Give me a villager who holds a mirror up to my psychopathy. Have their house look like a hoarder on adderall. they can't hold a conversation because they're calculating the gold per day if they switch from sweet potatoes to carrots next fall.

They hold every record for fishing and they just booked Clint for a full week of tool upgrades

I must destroy him

Magical Melody is kind of like this. My Time at Sandrock and Portia have fellow/rival builders. They don't min-max to the same degree a player does, though Higgins is a spiteful bastard that it feels good to overcome. Mia is adorable and runs around scavenging the same way you do, which is a nice touch.

The problem is that the gulf between a new player to this sort of game and a player who knows what they're doing is massive; the ability to scale up one's operation to do more and more and more in the same timespan means that the rival will get lost in the dust, hopelessly outstrip the player, or have some sort of rubberbanding that gets seen through fairly quickly by players who pay attention closely. There's also a point where players let off the gas pedal, either intentionally or because everything has been maxed out.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Doc Fission posted:

I'm doing the Ginger Island content for the first time. I am not the best dungeon crawler in this game so how am I supposed to get to the 10th level? Please advise :cry:

Go early, bring food and Triple Shot Espresso. Especially food that gives speed and/or def buffs. (Crab Cakes give both!) I also stuff my pockets full of Sashimi (easy to get lots of with crab pots) and slam several of those down when my health gets low.

Also bring bombs. Lots of bombs. There are tons of rocks in the volcano and they take two smacks to break even with an Iridium Pick. Screw that noise! Blow them up.

Make a beeline for the top of the map. The exit is usually up there. Sometimes you'll have to hit some switches to unlock it and that sucks. Oh have a Warp Totem: Farm in your pocket so you can maximize your time available.

Seconding the advice to have the Galaxy Sword and Crabshell RIng, as well. The more damage you can do to the enemies and the less damage you can take, the better!

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Dirk the Average posted:

Magical Melody is kind of like this. My Time at Sandrock and Portia have fellow/rival builders. They don't min-max to the same degree a player does, though Higgins is a spiteful bastard that it feels good to overcome. Mia is adorable and runs around scavenging the same way you do, which is a nice touch.

The problem is that the gulf between a new player to this sort of game and a player who knows what they're doing is massive; the ability to scale up one's operation to do more and more and more in the same timespan means that the rival will get lost in the dust, hopelessly outstrip the player, or have some sort of rubberbanding that gets seen through fairly quickly by players who pay attention closely. There's also a point where players let off the gas pedal, either intentionally or because everything has been maxed out.

Magical Melody's rival character also just outright doesn't matter outside of them being kind of a dick in a couple early cutscenes. It's kind of a shame really, it would've been cool if they had done more with the idea of a rival farmer.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rivals do "rubberband" - almost definitionally. You're not really rivals with someone if you don't trade off wins and loses. Being able to meaningfully compete with someone and steal their best ideas to improve yourself is the entire point of a rivalry (aside from spite, I guess). The other options are the rival is a lame loser who thinks they're competing with you but you don't even notice because you're too busy winning, or you're the lame loser.

Higgins makes a good rival precisely because he's rubberbanded. At the start, he should crush the starter player with his higher tech workshop, but doesn't. Mid-late game, Higgins should completely cease to be relevant because he has fewer, lower tech furnaces. But he remains relevant, and will take contracts away from the player if they leave them on the board the entire game. He's fantastically fun to hate and compete with. The fact his workshop never visibly upgrades barely detracts from the relationship with him.

Higgins proves the effectiveness of a rival is really all about the writing. (That Yan is less interesting as a rival also effectively supports the same conclusion from the opposite direction). The mechanics of how they stay relevant seems to have a pretty minimal impact on most players' enjoyment.

I'm absolutely the kind of person who notices and frets over inconsistencies like that, but even I enjoy stealing Higgen's single bronze bar every morning long after I've moved on to steel.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Does anyone have any opinions about Ridgeside or East Scarp? I'd like to see how the big areas are but don't know if/how badly they might clash with the original townsfolk/tone of the base game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Avoid Ridgeside. Cringe and awful.

East Scarp is fine, and pretty modular so you can add a bunch of extra content to it you might like. I’d only add it if you’ve played playthroughs with SVE and just need more stuff.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There was a train passing through the valley, and for once I was on my horse and close by. I got there when the train was just coming out of the tunnel. Nothing fell off. What should I have been doing to make it drop stuff?

Also, Visible Fish is much less cheaty than I realized. It simply shows you what fish are in the water that time of day, not where to cast.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Slingshot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pierson posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about Ridgeside or East Scarp? I'd like to see how the big areas are but don't know if/how badly they might clash with the original townsfolk/tone of the base game.

East Scarpe might as well not exist until you get Minecarts given the time commitment it takes to get there. One of my only faintings in my last playthrough was because I tried to get back to my farm through the upper woods area which you cannot do unless you have a copper ax or better.

The people in the base mod seem fine. One lady runs an inn and is interested in baking. One seems snooty but it seems she's just lonely underneath and runs a flower shop. There's a widower father with a young daughter who is awkwardly inserted into the Jas, Vincent, Penny trio. I saw there was also a mod that adds Fievel from Fievel Goes West which is bizarre.

I honestly haven't spent all that much time there but most of my experience with it is that it makes Gems and Sea Shells much easier to acquire and quests that require you to greet everyone almost impossible without dedicating a whole day to running around.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
question: has anyone had issues with rain days not registering multi-harvest crops as watered?

I had an issue where some crops didn't give me harvests on time and too few harvests in that month but know I watered them. I checked and it would amount to missing all days in the month that it rained to get the #. I also reloaded a backup with a upcoming harvest the day after a rain day- watering them on that day produced a harvest the next day, whereas not watering them didn't.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There was a train passing through the valley, and for once I was on my horse and close by. I got there when the train was just coming out of the tunnel. Nothing fell off. What should I have been doing to make it drop stuff?

Also, Visible Fish is much less cheaty than I realized. It simply shows you what fish are in the water that time of day, not where to cast.

There’s only one unique item from the train, it’s the Leprechaun shoes. You don’t have to be there when the train passes, you can get the items later, but they despawn over night.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The main problem with all these mods is I can't keep track of all of the potential wife candidates.

I guess the game occasionally freezing for like ten seconds is a distant second.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cartoon Man posted:

There’s only one unique item from the train, it’s the Leprechaun shoes. You don’t have to be there when the train passes, you can get the items later, but they despawn over night.

Ohhhh. So I can just show up after the train and scoop things up? Is it plausible that the train just sometimes doesn't drop something at all?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I can't keep track of all of the potential wife candidates.

Zesty posted:

Slingshot.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ohhhh. So I can just show up after the train and scoop things up? Is it plausible that the train just sometimes doesn't drop something at all?

Yeah items dropping doesn’t happen every time, it’s rare.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Doc Fission posted:

Not sure if it’s time or health you’re running out of, but sleeping on the island to get an early start on the dungeon can help if it’s time. If it’s health, then the crab shell ring someone mentioned, also the slime ring you get for killing 1000 slimes makes you immune to them and is very useful. Both might take some grinding or cheating to acquire

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The player character is always such an oddity in these games. Even when an HM / SoS game has a wealthy npc, they're usually like a stuffy aristocratic sort of old money. I want a legit rival

Give me a villager who holds a mirror up to my psychopathy. Have their house look like a hoarder on adderall. they can't hold a conversation because they're calculating the gold per day if they switch from sweet potatoes to carrots next fall.

They hold every record for fishing and they just booked Clint for a full week of tool upgrades

I must destroy him

Yeah someone like Paul in the Pokémon anime. Just doing completely normal min max strats to point out how completely at odds with the intended message of the games they are

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Turned in all the artifacts and minerals but couldn’t find the last one that was missing. It was the drat Dino egg. Forgot to turn it in after hatching a dinosaur.
:argh:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Meanwhile I can’t get the Amphibian Fossil to drop for the life of me. Probably going to have to make a few treasure totems before giving up and just spawning one.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

hopeandjoy posted:

Meanwhile I can’t get the Amphibian Fossil to drop for the life of me. Probably going to have to make a few treasure totems before giving up and just spawning one.
I've found a couple on the island just wandering around, it seems to spawn a lot more reliably there (or maybe I'm just luckier there)

e: I just looked it up and even in fossil spots deposits it's still a .8% chance yikes, I was just lucky

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
We're in year 2 and no ancient seed yet, which is going to hold up the community center. We could also do a sweet gem berry, but that'd have to wait until fall.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

We're in year 2 and no ancient seed yet, which is going to hold up the community center. We could also do a sweet gem berry, but that'd have to wait until fall.

You can grow the sweet gem berry in your greenhouse

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mederlock posted:

Which would be unlocked by the Rare Fruit bundle. A cruel paradox.

I think I ended up buying like 10 rare seeds in my Y1 just for giggles. Chickens pay out a lot!

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Zesty posted:

The bugs in the early floors of the mine can drop them, if you didn't know that already - I got my first seed when doing Willy's bug meat special order.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mederlock posted:

Guess what that bundle unlocks.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Guess what that bundle unlocks.

I've never played with the remixed bundles and didn't realize that :cripes:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It's fun to mix it up, at least. Anything to stretch the game a bit more.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah items dropping doesn’t happen every time, it’s rare.

Well, bugger that for a game of Parcheesi.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Zesty posted:

At winter year 1 and same, also doing 25% farm product prices so no money to unlock desert bus yet

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Where the hell do I find dragon teeth? I read that they appear near dragon bones in the volcano I have seen a few of those but without any dragon teeth near them

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Leal posted:

Where the hell do I find dragon teeth? I read that they appear near dragon bones in the volcano I have seen a few of those but without any dragon teeth near them

That's where they have a chance to spawn. They can also drop from the monster that swims in lava.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kill the guy who pops out of the lava to spit fire at you, they drop them sometimes

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I finally repaired the boat after forgetting about it from most of year two.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Avalerion posted:

That's where they have a chance to spawn. They can also drop from the monster that swims in lava.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Kill the guy who pops out of the lava to spit fire at you, they drop them sometimes

Thank you, I got one that my stingrays asked for. I hope they repay the favor soon

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The good news is that you need 10 for the island obelisk, 5 for the miniforge, and 1 per island warp totem. Save fifteen and then never worry again, once you build the obelisk the totems arnt needed anymore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I got my first ancient seed on Y1 Spring 3. I've got two more chilling in a chest waiting for the greenhouse unlock. Wish I could mail em to you.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Stardew Crossing when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

HopperUK posted:

I got my first ancient seed on Y1 Spring 3. I've got two more chilling in a chest waiting for the greenhouse unlock. Wish I could mail em to you.

Why wait, drop those in the soil now and start propagating more seeds in a seed maker. Put some speed grow down too. You’ll have all of summer and fall to grow fruit every 7 days, even more with speed grow. Feed every fruit to a seed maker and you’ll fill the greenhouse in no time once it’s ready.