Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Scarabrae posted:

So Twitch made a change to their app awhile back that if you chromecast to a TV you can only get 720p quality max, unsure if this is because they know that ads don’t run when chromecasting.

My new TV has Airplay built in so when I Airplay a Twitch stream from my phone instead I can scale it to 1080p and I still haven’t seen a single ad

so lol gently caress you amazon

avoiding ads should be illegal. :mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
addicted to growth.

can there be too much growth? NO!!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

In reality the owners of the fifty lovely apartments put vinyl plank flooring and Lowe’s endcap fixtures in, declare them to be “luxury apartments,” and price them slightly below the penthouses.

endcap fixtures like what?

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Apr 21, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean the cheap poo poo on the lane end caps, like titty lights and the bow front vanities that were all the rage a few years back. The cheapest stuff they can install that’s new.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Strep Vote posted:

Nah. I think the big thing people can't get over is how long it takes to get where you need to go without shortcuts. Money, time, life are all going to intrude on a daily and weekly basis and long-term changes take years to master. I have nothing but privilege in this department and I am still having to change my disordered habits to eat properly at 43. Capitalism makes us fat by overproducing what preindustrially was difficult to obtain (sugar and fatty red meat, mostly).

That said i discourage the use of weight loss drugs because the hard way is hard, but it's never as hard as the easy way.

hard things are hard

thanks obamna

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When Helen Cruz pitched her tent in a city park a few years ago and made it her home, she chose the location for one reason: She wanted to be close to the houses she cleans for a living but could never afford for herself.

“People see the irony of it,” said Cruz, 49. “I never looked at it like that.”

What Cruz didn’t realize then was that living in a park in Grants Pass, Oregon, would place her in the middle of a national debate that will reach the Supreme Court on Monday about whether cities can respond to a spike in homelessness by punishing homeless people.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

When Helen Cruz pitched her tent in a city park a few years ago and made it her home, she chose the location for one reason: She wanted to be close to the houses she cleans for a living but could never afford for herself.

What Cruz didn’t realize then was that living in a park in Grants Pass, Oregon, would place her in the middle of a national debate that will reach the Supreme Court on Monday about whether cities can respond to a spike in homelessness by punishing homeless people.

oh drat i wonder if they can. that’s crazy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol, the full time working homeless class. Of course that's a thing in the USA.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

we should all have the right to throw rotten pumpkins at this piece of shits face

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yelling at a homeless person to get a good job

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Idle Hands are the devil’s workshop

Idle Rich

:magemage:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The worst part about city housing is that being in a walkable area with lots of things going on and jobs, is genuinely one of the greatest things ever. We're just so mad about the concept of high density housing that we choose to blow the whole thing up? It's just so monumentally petty. And that's the common theme with everything these days.

When you dig into 90% of these things, the end result is someone, at some point, deciding that we "can't have nice things because [worst and most petty reason imaginable here]".

You dig down and the reason why people can't afford to live in the Big City is because some old rear end in a top hat decided he really wanted to walk around with a $400,000 Patek during the final 10 years of their lives.

It's like the butterfly effect but for enshittification. Some dude wants solid gold fixtures on his 9th guest house -> butterfly effect --> butterfly effect --> honest-work cleaning lady lives in a tent in the park

I truly believe that if we capped rental prices in America, it would fix like 70% of our problems. In my mind there is nothing more important. All roads lead back to housing. It really is that simple.

Here goes:
Cap the rent, assess a tax on multi-home ownership unless that owner is renting the properties at the established capped price. I think it's ok for people to own multiple homes, but they need to get taxed on it, or rent it out. And the default state for any additional owned housing must be that it is rented. Homes sitting empty? Tax heavily.

At the end of the day, I contend that the chief purpose of a government is to establish normative values, selectively bringing financial and societal goals/values into alignment. Basically, take a problem (the rent is too drat high) and then apply/remove taxation in a way that makes the common individual incentivized to carry the same goals, so that the individuals partaking in a given financial transaction want an outcome that is ultimately positive for the society.

Basically, if someone with money wants to use that money to achieve a return on investment, government must ensure that the maximum ROI achievable dovetails with what society itself wants for its own betterment. That's the goal. That's really all it is.

Any time money can be used to achieve a higher personal and/or institutional ROI at the primary expense of societal goals, that is a failure of government.

It's such a simple solution that economists (the court jester propagandists they are) spend most of their time shouting about literally anything else, and increasingly, just shouting from the highest rooftop they can that normal people with everyday experiences are loving idiots and don't understand what they see in front of their own eyes.

Taima has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Apr 21, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Scarabrae posted:

Idle Hands are the devil’s workshop

Idle Rich

:magemage:

Nominally idle rich are at an all time low, they're all playing genius working CEO like Elon musk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

God gently caress these rent laws. Hate it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its too drat high. we were warned

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

We built our society wrong, as a joke.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
New China take has dropped.
https://twitter.com/profplum99/status/1782018745801560508?t=WAAJnyI1dOf7-13UfVz-QQ&s=19

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Apr 21, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

china build a road where a chairlift should go

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bluey is brainwashing your kids
https://twitter.com/matthenryyoung/status/1781509676439314551?t=etBatrsW71tzdLrcG4ZbUg&s=19

Forgiving debt doesn't work!
https://twitter.com/conor64/status/1781796552346128728?t=_FXw6T-1skHOwEHSTVsydQ&s=19

What if the top 10% actually had it rougher?
https://twitter.com/besttrousers/status/1781034184707874991?t=rBt5bwlu8o9ZwPEBtwjbCw&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

They built this in 5 years lol. Doing something like that here in the USA would be left incomplete and forgotten after 30 years of planning and half-hearted construction.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Lol @ the take being something other than holy poo poo it only took 3 billion dollars and 5 years to build this insane thing that no other country could. Hmm wonder what the time/cost estimates are on the loving key bridge

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

death stranding 3 better be set in china

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

They built this in 5 years lol. Doing something like that here in the USA would be left incomplete and forgotten after 30 years of planning and half-hearted construction.

yup

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Real hurthling! posted:

death stranding 3 better be set in china

oh gently caress that would be incredible.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't keep up with Bluey continuity but they DO live in a gigantic beautiful house and the parents ARE very rarely shown working so

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

yelling at a homeless person to get a good job

Work from Homeless

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

yep. lol its taken california like almost 20 years and like 50 billion just to put down 100 miles of track in the desert across a bunch of empty farmland and still isn't going to be running till like 2040

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

He is very clearly saying the government shouldn't fun infrastructure so of course it leads to this exchange:
https://twitter.com/profplum99/status/1782076797682586004?t=FH_nqIcl6FeKD3--VfLd3g&s=19

One of the things I've noticed for the last couple of years is these finance and economy people have kind of reached the endpoint and no longer believe infrastructure should be built or maintained.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SKULL.GIF posted:

We're only estimating that it will cost 400 million and "18 months to 'a few years'"

We're not yet to the full grift stage of cost overruns and systemic delays.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Xaris posted:

yep. lol its taken california like almost 20 years and like 50 billion just to put down 100 miles of track in the desert across a bunch of empty farmland and still isn't going to be running till like 2040

Bakersfield: The Heart of California

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Phoenix has been ripping out its covered bus stop seating areas, officially in the name of "security", but it's really just cover for eliminating homeless sleeping and sitting areas. They also used them for shade in the summer, but now the homeless will have to try and shade on private property, at which point the police can be called to arrest them. Great city I live in.

That is amazing, but I would be absolutely terrified to drive on it. Not because of thinking it isn't safe, but just because I have mild vertigo and a fear of heights, and that would really gently caress with me.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

can we open the prisons and renovate them into a work/housing project for the poor?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

they can never conceptualize a world where the maintenance and upkeep of public systems isn't being done by companies trying to bilk the government for every last penny

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Just wait until neoliberalism infects them! Then they'll realize how infrastructure is bad! Like I do!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Scarabrae posted:

can we open the prisons and renovate them into a work/housing project for the poor?

the jails are full and the madhouses closed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wouldn't mind not having windows in the bedroom. I always have the blinds shut so I can sleep or use Linux in peace.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Also the Yaxi Expressway also seems to have toll booths, so I assume they're collecting money for future maintenance and upkeep, only this time it's actually going toward the expressway instead of having the majority skimmed off as profit as it would in the US.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

mawarannahr posted:

I wouldn't mind not having windows in the bedroom. I always have the blinds shut so I can sleep or use Linux in peace.
Having a windowless bedroom was a lifesaver when I was working until 2AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

mawarannahr posted:

Most building codes have a minimum of natural light for different room types. Had a client that ran into both ventilation requirements and natural light requirement problems with interior, windowless bedrooms, the solution was to leave a big gap between the wall and the ceiling of the living room and the bedroom. You call it a 'clerestory' so it seems the design is intentional.