Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

So I almost never use grenades against a pawn target, but they are fantastic for clearing obstacles.

Detritus which came with your map? Your no-skills dedicated hauler or cleaner can spend a day hucking grenades to clear that poo poo out of the way of your farms.

Ancient complexes prone to catching on fire? The Key To The Rim can handily make those indoors spaces the Outdoors, so heat buildup won’t burn and stroke out your combat team.

The only and only time I fought the mechanoid Queen, though, we ezered her by waiting around a corner and throwing half a dozen grenades right before she came into view, and then a second wave. Ate some injuries from fighting the other, faster mechs in the open instead of at our fortifications but no deaths, no lost limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I had a pawn with Go-juice Dependence in a coma for 2 weeks, and they were about to just die.
I had to send a caravan fairly far away to buy Neutroamine so I could manufacture Go-juice so they wouldn't die.

I saved your life, motherfucker!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Cog posted:

And yeah, I grabbed the pawn, we'll see how it goes. Unfortunately I'd already sold the Luci I'd found in the nearby ancient danger, so I guess it's time to go raid some complexes.

And this is why you leave a cryptosleep casket intact in the ancient danger for just such an occasion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a good way to set perishable vs non perishable storage zones? I'm still doing it manually each time, which isn't *that* big of a deal but it's annoying how the perishables are scattered all over the categories.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2294597530

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I had a pawn with Go-juice Dependence in a coma for 2 weeks, and they were about to just die.
I had to send a caravan fairly far away to buy Neutroamine so I could manufacture Go-juice so they wouldn't die.

that pawn's such an rear end in a top hat lol

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Are they a teetotaler or something?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Carcer posted:

Are they a teetotaler or something?

Yeah. I'm working on converting them.

QuarkJets posted:

that pawn's such an rear end in a top hat lol

I'd kick them out but having a friendly supersoldier on my team is very useful.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Jack Trades posted:

The fact that ideology still doesn't give imperial hussars an exception to the anti-drug precepts in the imperial ideology is ridiculous. Ideology is such an annoying mess. The Empire invented hussars and is the primary civ that makes and employs them!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Doesn't the "medical use only" precept include dependencies?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Broken Cog posted:

Doesn't the "medical use only" precept include dependencies?

My hussar imperial deserter still freaks out whenever he has to take the go juice which he has had to take for most of his life to keep from dying.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They may have a genetic dependency on go-juice but that doesn't mean that they have to be happy about it

e: "Medical" is a category for drugs for stuff like penoxycyline, go-juice is under the "Hard" category. So a Teetotaler with a Go-Juice genetic dependency is going to get sad whenever they have to meet their genetic need. All you can do is change their xenotype to remove the dependency

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 21, 2024

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

worm girl posted:

Ideology is such an annoying mess.

people having completely irrational mental hangups over stupid irrelevant bullshit and never being able to resolve even minor contradictions is very realistic tho

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ideology DLC adding a varying amounts of friction in practically every part of the game is actually cool and good.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Is there a good way to set perishable vs non perishable storage zones? I'm still doing it manually each time, which isn't *that* big of a deal but it's annoying how the perishables are scattered all over the categories.

I haven't found a penalty to making all food storage zones freezers that don't allow rotten items unless you put fertilized eggs in(vanilla, cookable but kills any chance of them hatching) or you put in rare items that emit heat(modded, cinderwasp bodies/eggs from Alpha Biomes is the only one I've encountered.)

This makes a storage area where you clear all, toggle rotten off, toggle the entire food category on, toggle fertilized eggs off and done. I believe this will avoid anything that could be spoiled by temp in beer production. You can add Herbal Medicine to it too if you don't want to think about the two year shelf time. This will make them store other long life food like rice and berries but my fridges are next to my cooking station anyway so good travel time gain. For deep immersion you'd add a dry goods storage next to both and at that point you care enough to manual, eh? There's also a few long shelf life drugs like ambrosia you could freeze with manual checks in the drug category.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Imo wort & hops should be in fridge, beer barrels not, ambrosia yes, beer itself eh, you shouldn't have pets or infants in there in the first place

Iirc brewing beer will die if overheated or frozen. It'll at least pause if too cold, so it should be in the kitchen anyway.

If you have egg boxes usually the animals will be able to crap their eggs into there and they won't be collected until the box is full

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
yeah fermenting kegs have a range of 7-32C
too cold or too hot for very long (there's a little bit of leeway but not much) and the batch is 'ruined by temperature'

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a good list of excellent QOL mods without tons of gameplay changes? I am cool with stuff that makes pawns less stupid but I don't need billy's 51 varieties of m16 mod or anything like that.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My keg rooms are always separate and beer should be chilled on principle once it's done and bottled. :colbert:

(There's also a mod that gives a benefit to doing so but for the life of me I can't find it.)

Heeeyyy, Hospitality and RT Fuse are back! Now if Rim of Madness: Bones would update I'd be missing next to nothing for the jump to 1.5

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

silentsnack posted:

people having completely irrational mental hangups over stupid irrelevant bullshit and never being able to resolve even minor contradictions is very realistic tho

This is like someone on purpose making a turbo-murder gun that kills people as painfully as possible and then getting angry about firing it since they're a total and complete pacifist.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Ok I am probably going to have the time to make buying anomaly worthwhile here in a little bit and I’m kind of loving the idea of a Hospitality/SCP Site combo run.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a good list of excellent QOL mods without tons of gameplay changes? I am cool with stuff that makes pawns less stupid but I don't need billy's 51 varieties of m16 mod or anything like that.

check carefully to see if these are updated to 1.5

Flesh Forge posted:

if you're just getting started don't do any content mods at all, but there are some extremely useful quality of life mods that I recommend to everyone, no particular order:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1662119905 - Dub's Minimap
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 - No Default Shelf Storage (you will pretty much always be adjusting shelf storage "things allowed" settings so it's better to start with them blank to avoid wasted work)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 - Cut Plants Before Building, avoids pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 - Better Workbench Management, lets you link crafting jobs to share settings between identical crafting tables, avoids a lot of repeated micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878346181 - Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, Drug & Operation settings, lets you save presets for any of these things that are rather complicated to set up, so you can avoid a ton of repeated finicky work
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 - Numbers, displays lots of statistical info about various things that you could find in other ways but with a lot less trouble, and centralized
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 - Replace Stuff, lets you replace constructions with different materials (e.g. you made a wall out of wood when you started, later on you have rock blocks and want to replace the wall) avoids immense amounts of pointless busywork
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 - Allow Tool, a collection of small UI tools that negates an immense amount of pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1874644848 - Character Editor, lets you edit characters (not necessary at all but useful)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 - Defensive Positions, assign colonists to groups that can easily be selected and drafted, and assign 1 to 4 positions for all colonists to report to when a key/UI button is pressed, avoids tons of micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1467764609 - Search and Destroy, allows drafted colonists to automatically move around to engage enemies rather than having to manually handle every guy's every step, avoids tons of micro
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2562730174 - Visible Raid Points, shows you exactly how raid size is calculated, to help you understand why you're suddenly getting 500 centipedes in every raid

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Where’s my mod that makes the meat invasion look like Zerg creep? :colbert:

Seriously though, looking forward to the inevitable reskins for Anomaly stuff. It’s all so grotesque and at odds with the vanilla art style, I can’t bring myself to play it yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carcer posted:

This is like someone on purpose making a turbo-murder gun that kills people as painfully as possible and then getting angry about firing it since they're a total and complete pacifist.

It's not enormously surprising that a society would create a servile caste necessary to uphold the power of the ruling class and then at the same time, instill deep internalized shame within them for doing the thing they're forced to do by that society, and also look down on them for doing it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LonsomeSon posted:

Ok I am probably going to have the time to make buying anomaly worthwhile here in a little bit and I’m kind of loving the idea of a Hospitality/SCP Site combo run.

There's honestly a lot of playstyles for previous DLCs that mesh really well with Anomaly. I've been having a blast with both my sanguophage and mechanitor runs.
It's a good DLC

For sanguophage especially, it felt very appropriate to have a corpse-eating tree in the garden, and a bunch of ghouls running around

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 21, 2024

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kestral posted:

Where’s my mod that makes the meat invasion look like Zerg creep? :colbert:

Seriously though, looking forward to the inevitable reskins for Anomaly stuff. It’s all so grotesque and at odds with the vanilla art style, I can’t bring myself to play it yet.

There's already one mod that replaced all the flesh stuff with plant themed reskins

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3227028689

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The DLC constantly makes me go "eww! Neat."

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

There's already one mod that replaced all the flesh stuff with plant themed reskins

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3227028689

Yessss, thanks! Looks like I’ll be able to play this sooner rather than later.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Carcer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdhwTXwhA4c

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Carcer posted:

That analogy doesn't seem apt at all, a person born into the empire probably didn't ask to be a Hussar so this person is actually mad about having a genetic dependency that they really don't want. "gently caress my genes and gently caress you, just let me die"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear to god they flipped some internal switch on Randy with this last expansion. In the last ten hours of my stream I hit two toxic fallouts, a volcanic winter, 5 blights, 5 malarias, 3 plagues, 6 flus, several quad raids/animal insanities within a 3 day span, and all my pawns break at the drop of the hat due to all the anomaly stuff on top of it. Just absolutely brutal with pretty much zero good events in the mean time.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Did you start your run before the patch that integrates anomaly with the base game? I had a similar experience, like they patched the game and every event I missed happened all at once. Especially the sickness, I had pawns with both malaria and flu, it was pretty touch and go.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sokani posted:

Did you start your run before the patch that integrates anomaly with the base game? I had a similar experience, like they patched the game and every event I missed happened all at once. Especially the sickness, I had pawns with both malaria and flu, it was pretty touch and go.

That could be it

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

That analogy doesn't seem apt at all, a person born into the empire probably didn't ask to be a Hussar so this person is actually mad about having a genetic dependency that they really don't want. "gently caress my genes and gently caress you, just let me die"

My Hussar has addiction dysphoria but we can’t afford gene reassignment surgery

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Skip abductee came with a triple rocket launcher :eyepop:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
so it turns out later cultist raids can have the cultists come with death refusal, meaning they stand back up once after dying with their injuries healed

and if you capture them before they use it, you can harvest multiple sets of their organs, or harvest their vital organs without giving colonists the "organ murderer" negative mood!

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Ok Rimworld thread. Last time I came in here, before Anomaly was released, I asked if Royalty and Ideology were worth it. I believe I got input from people on both sides that may have liked one but not the other and came away from it thinking maybe I should grab both but ended up just playing more Helldivers and forgetting about it. I'll try to dig through my history and find it but this thread is generally insanely helpful with people who like to share.

My general playstyle is "shut in" I guess. I don't do a lot of quests because I don't have a lot/any experience with caravans and never really broke out of my shell to try them too much. I prefer the 5-man primitive start and like trying all the different biomes as they all offer generally unique approaches at first.

With Anomaly now out, I kind of wanted to regauge what people would recommend and maybe the order of recommended acquisition and what each uniquely bring to the table.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For isolationist colonies I would say biotech is good cos it adds kids and more types of dudes to fight/integrate/build supersoldiers out of. Also vampires are fun.

Ideology lets you make different types of colonies, good if you want to vary your experience without having to necessarily do much, also if you want to really never leave your gooncave you can facilitate that by making your guys hate being outside.

Royalty is still mostly some quests, content, and the empire. I think it's a good addition but lower on the list I guess.

Anomaly adds a lot of varied new content and threats for you to engage with, the majority of which do not require caravanning, you probably want to play shut ins anyway cos going outside is horrible. Also a bit of paranoia with the threats that visitors and new joiners can bring with them.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Jelly posted:

Ok Rimworld thread. Last time I came in here, before Anomaly was released, I asked if Royalty and Ideology were worth it. I believe I got input from people on both sides that may have liked one but not the other and came away from it thinking maybe I should grab both but ended up just playing more Helldivers and forgetting about it. I'll try to dig through my history and find it but this thread is generally insanely helpful with people who like to share.

My general playstyle is "shut in" I guess. I don't do a lot of quests because I don't have a lot/any experience with caravans and never really broke out of my shell to try them too much. I prefer the 5-man primitive start and like trying all the different biomes as they all offer generally unique approaches at first.

With Anomaly now out, I kind of wanted to regauge what people would recommend and maybe the order of recommended acquisition and what each uniquely bring to the table.

Biotech is the big one if you don't have it, new weird people and tons of weird genes to make your own special snowflake xenotype that is dependent on flake to survive. Also mechanitor and new mechs they can control.

Ideology has some playstyle things, weird not-religions that make people love being in mountain bases and growing fungus to eat, or don't care about corpses, or research slow/fast. Just a shitload of little things to tweak your playstyle in small or big ways.

Royalty probably has the least "stuff" but it does have psycasts, and the empire and its victory method.

Anomaly is by far the biggest DLC in terms of things it brings to the table, but they're almost entirely dangers or things to deal with, most of it is entirely gated behind activating it first though.

AdamVS has been asked this question a lot, and I agree with his answer that going in reverse release order, except for anomaly, is going to get you the most stuff for your currency amount.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Biotech is the one expansion I already have and agree it was a great one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
nthing that Biotech is the one you really want, Ideology and Royalty are situational, and Anomaly is basically postgame hardmode content for experts.

Rimworld is a game though where you mostly will still get the full experience without any of the DLC. When you've played it to the point it feels passé then you can add a DLC or two and get re-hooked