Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
i just call people by their names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I thought this but a couple goons said "this is absolutely still a slur to a lot of us" so I quit saying it. But yeah, on the very rare occasion I make reference to anyone individually I just say whatever they say.

It's kind of important to me to stay as current as possible on terminology because I recruit and hire and supervise a lot of college students and need to be able to display allyship in whatever way I can.

In my experience there's never going to one monolithic agreement on terms to use- it varies in a granular sense on a person by person basis and even then it's still fluid. You def have to stay vigilant.

I have some gay buddies that use their worst slurs on me for comedy purposes, trying to get me to say it back. And another buddy in a similar circle would literally reach for a weapon if someone called him that.

I know some older gay women that are deeply uncomfortable with the word "lesbian", but the younger women are perfectly comfortable.

It's all really complex, changing, and usually requires a mountain of context to get right on a personal basis. But I say it's worth the effort.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Scags McDouglas posted:

I know some older gay women that are deeply uncomfortable with the word "lesbian", but the younger women are perfectly comfortable.

Lol I've got a late 50s lesbian friend and she very strongly identifies as a lesbian. Her wife who was a bit older very strongly did not consider herself a lesbian. It was pretty funny.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Jelly posted:

i just call people by their names

Stop grooming me

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
How long before this devolves into the Fae pronoun debate again?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Lifespan posted:

Stop grooming me

Watch out, I hear they have hella stds

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Donald Trump

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

kazil posted:

Donald Trump
don't use slurs

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Suffer the Sunday lulls to get to the Monday :lol:'s.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Steadiman posted:

don't use slurs

*Trimpf

gently caress gently caress gently caress how do I delete a post?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

kazil posted:

Donald Trump
big smelly if true

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Watch out, I hear they have hella stds
title purchaser acknowledging i'm a sex haver :smug:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

Donald Trump

*Farts

*Loud laugh track

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I thought it was made from chickpeas?

You're both wrong, it's made from egyptian peas

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

QuarkJets posted:

You're both wrong, it's made from egyptian peas

This is the Trump thread so I think you'll find it's made with chickpeas

on a bed

and there's a tape of it

it's real

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I love how the conspiracy right ramble on about 1984 and then give their own social media platform the most dystopian name.

(Ministry of) Truth Social!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

War Wizard posted:

I love how the conspiracy right ramble on about 1984 and then give their own social media platform the most dystopian name.

(Ministry of) Truth Social!

Peace Through Strength

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Truth is English for Pravda.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

The only time I ever heard anyone say LGBT out loud it was a joke in really poor taste and that dude got fired not that long after for unrelated reasons.

Far too many people who exclaim terms like that spit it out rather than simply state it. Their very saying it is a vehicle for their unchecked hate. I have people like that in my family. Where a seemingly innocent descriptor becomes their weapon against others.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Accipiter posted:

I would say that there are no labels whatsoever - for ANYONE - that are "great." But in those fewer instances where I go with "alternative lifestyle" I choose to use "alternative" instead of the more widely used "traditional" because "traditional" implies a deviation from normal, and gently caress the people who want to equate "straight" with "normal."

As well you should. Go forth, suck dick, and be merry.

See that's exactly what I mean. Simplicity. I'd be down with that except for the fact that there are also plenty of assholes that use it as a slur. I'm 100% in favor of a "taking the word back" situation though.

or you could just take everyones advice and shut the gently caress up about this. no one on earth cares about your take on this.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I like queer as a term. It fits me.

If I hear a stranger say it and they’re cishet then they’re getting punched though.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

im gay

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

emSparkly posted:

If I hear a stranger say it and they’re cishet then they’re getting punched though.

Get them

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

So is Donald Trump, former president of the United States of America

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I'm bored with that discussion now. It's redditesque

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

donald trump is gay for cheeseberders

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean have you actually seen Donald express real love toward a woman? I’m just saying…

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

emSparkly posted:

I mean have you actually seen Donald express real love toward a woman? I’m just saying…

Are you saying that love based on a piss fetish isn't real???

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

emSparkly posted:

I mean have you actually seen Donald express real love toward a human? I’m just saying…

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

The death penalty is outdated, barbaric, flawed, and wrong, and is a symbol of the totalitarian relationship between state and citizen, even if it's used against the most hated person in America, op.

ha ha electric chair goes bzzzzt

Waltzing Along posted:

Since we are talking about crazy lady. I ask again: why has she not been censured?

WHY NOT DONE

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I thought it was made from chickpeas?

The difference between a garbanzo bean and a chickpea is that Putin doesn't have a tape of Trump watching a garbanzo bean.

TNABuffalo
Apr 4, 2011

Toxic Mental posted:

What? Get out of here with this bullshit.

Donald Trump? President???

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Marjorie Taylor Greene calls on Johnson to resign after foreign aid bills pass: ‘If he doesn’t do so, he will be vacated’

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/21/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-calls-on-johnson-to-resign-after-house-approves-ukraine-aid/index.html

quote:

“Mike Johnson’s speakership is over. He needs to do the right thing to resign and allow us to move forward in a controlled process. If he doesn’t do so, he will be vacated,” Greene said on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures.”

quote:

It is still unclear whether Democrats will throw him a lifeline. But they have expressed a willingness to save Johnson, especially after he defied his right flank to move ahead with a foreign aid package that closely resembles a Senate-passed version.

CUT TO:

First Democrat publicly says he would vote to save Mike Johnson's job since massive aid push passes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/21/ro-khanna-mike-johnson-job/73404597007/

quote:

Progressive Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna, D-Calif. said he would support House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., if the lower chamber ultimately votes on whether to remove him from his job after passing foreign aid to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

emSparkly posted:

I honestly struggle a bit with how to fully describe myself and generally use queer to do so.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Trubisky social

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

emSparkly posted:

I mean have you actually seen Donald express real love toward any living creature? I’m just saying…

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"Yeah sure I'll vote to preserve Johnson's position... when pigs fly!"

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

i cannot think of many less interesting topics in the world beside "how other people identify". none of my business none of my interest and does not make for compelling reading

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Marjorie Taylor Greene calls on Johnson to resign after foreign aid bills pass: ‘If he doesn’t do so, he will be vacated’

Again, Marge had many, many chances to trigger the MTV. She has nothing. She isn't going to do poo poo. If people stopped sticking a billion cameras in her face she'd shrivel up and die.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Accipiter posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/21/politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-calls-on-johnson-to-resign-after-house-approves-ukraine-aid/index.html

CUT TO:

First Democrat publicly says he would vote to save Mike Johnson's job since massive aid push passes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/21/ro-khanna-mike-johnson-job/73404597007/

so do it already marge, stop barking and bite coward

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
Is there any truth to the rumor that Johnson 180'd on Ukraine aid as soon as he emerged from a SCIF? What's that all about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

emSparkly posted:

The only thing he expresses is a foul miasma of methane and sulfur when he falls asleep in criminal court

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i cannot think of many less interesting topics in the world beside "how other people identify". none of my business none of my interest and does not make for compelling reading

Then go down to MaraLago and get on a bullhorn and make Donald Trump truth his social because we're just scraping the bottom right now