Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice look at that Trichia. I agree the first one is some kinda Xylaria but i'm not very familiar with the smaller species

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
These are East Bay (Bay Area, California).

From oak/manzanita woodland
Galerina? maybe G. vittiformis?
el sobrante fungus-8049 on Flickr

??? So tiny!
el sobrante fungus-8078 on Flickr

From mixed woodland/abandoned house/cattle range
Coprinopsis/Psathyrella??
Wildcat white mushroom-7138 on Flickr

Wildcat bent mushroom-7146 on Flickr

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Mica caps have woken back up all week. I haven’t had a chance to get a picture, but mushrooms are something I love to see during rough times

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was told to post this here, it's a stump in my yard that has become encrusted with lichen and I really like the look of it. I could get the stump uprooted but I think I'll leave it like this at least for now.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Lots of beautiful turkey tails :allears:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

So lovely to see you this morning little guys

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Why's that dirt got teeth?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Hungriest zombies come out mouth first

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I just like fungus

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

So hyped

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Morchella punctipes, half free morel

Verpa conica, ‘conic morel’ I guess idk if it actually has a common name

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m so glad it’s happening again.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Are those Stropharia?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I think maybe just button mushrooms? I don’t know. They’re from this same patch from last year:

freeedr posted:

Button Mushrooms?

and a bit of the ol memento mori

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

the yeti posted:

Verpa conica, ‘conic morel’ I guess idk if it actually has a common name

wow, i've never heard of that species. If I saw it in the wild I'd assume it's some kind of smooth gyromitra. cool!

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

It’s been dry this April and I’ve not been out much.
I’ve seen a couple Verpa bohemica:

The single morel I’ve seen so far:

Some kinda inky cap?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Found this on the park across the street. Looks like someone else found it first.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Found this on the park across the street. Looks like someone else found it first.

Don’t take this ID to heart but yeah that looks a lot like an oyster someone took home with ‘em.

Hooplah posted:

wow, i've never heard of that species. If I saw it in the wild I'd assume it's some kind of smooth gyromitra. cool!

right? I pegged them as looking very similar to half free morels (Morchella punctipes) but the smooth cap and crispy crumbly texture is hella weird. If I didn’t know about genus Verpa I’d have gone to Gyromitra too.

Crocobile posted:

Some kinda inky cap?

Mica cap or close relative would be my guess, that color plus the ‘mica’ flakes on the cap are what lead me to that.

They do deliquesce though, so you’re on the right track thinking inky caps (another genus in the same family)

Found my first proper morel :neckbeard:
Morchella section morchella*

*M. diminutiva & M. americana are basically indistinguishable at this size, and there are probably other species in that section that are possible. It’s a complex genus with a lot of variability at the naked-eye scale.

And a really nice example of mayapple rust, Allodus podophylli

Someone in a cicada brood area go find us a specimen of the rear end eating sexually transmitted cicada fungus!

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 4, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My sister found some massive morels near the Indiana/Michigan border:

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

That story has a good morel

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Fuligo sp., probably septica

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Found some Suillus the other day, which led me to the Mushroom Expert page on the genus to figure out what they were, since they were clustered and lacked a ring like slippery jacks. I learned they have been shown to be host-specific, really incredible stuff. Mushrooms rule. I need to head back out to the hike and identify the pine they were on.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Common names are funny. Are your slippery jacks not in Suillus? That's what I call any Suillus, even the dry ones.

Also, any of you people bother eating them?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Common names are funny. Are your slippery jacks not in Suillus? That's what I call any Suillus, even the dry ones.

Painted Suillus (S. spraugei) yeah, but the ones with viscid caps aren’t worth the hassle of cleaning to me.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Yeah they’re in Suillus, I just used “jacks” cause they seem more common and are a little easier to ID.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Found a huge patch of Stropharia rugosoannulata, the common winecap. I would have picked them but these were the only three that weren't dessicated or trampled. These guys were textbook examples with the red cap and wheelspoke veil over the immature gills.

I moved into a new house a few months ago and will try to encourage some mushrooms to grow there. Stropharia is one of them, they seem easy to inocculate into mulch beds. Agaricus campestris or arvensis would probably be easy too, they grow in grass clippings. They'd like it if I mulched my lawn when I mowed it. I was thinking of essentially taking a huge spore print then mixing the spores with water and squirting it where I want the mushrooms to grow with a spray bottle. Also, if I'm lucky, maybe some morels will grow with all the fruit trees I'm planting. And the front yard has a bunch of dead, buried roots buried shallow, which is what Coprinus comatus likes. Maybe next year I'll have a shitload of homegrown mushrooms to post, wish me luck! If anyone has some pointers I'm all ears.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

The French Army posted:

Found a huge patch of Stropharia rugosoannulata, the common winecap. I would have picked them but these were the only three that weren't dessicated or trampled. These guys were textbook examples with the red cap and wheelspoke veil over the immature gills.

I moved into a new house a few months ago and will try to encourage some mushrooms to grow there. Stropharia is one of them, they seem easy to inocculate into mulch beds. Agaricus campestris or arvensis would probably be easy too, they grow in grass clippings. They'd like it if I mulched my lawn when I mowed it. I was thinking of essentially taking a huge spore print then mixing the spores with water and squirting it where I want the mushrooms to grow with a spray bottle. Also, if I'm lucky, maybe some morels will grow with all the fruit trees I'm planting. And the front yard has a bunch of dead, buried roots buried shallow, which is what Coprinus comatus likes. Maybe next year I'll have a shitload of homegrown mushrooms to post, wish me luck! If anyone has some pointers I'm all ears.

I'm in a similiar spot, down to the wine caps. Any suggestions on inoculating wild mushrooms into the semi-domestic backyard?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I think the big thing is having wood chips they like and keeping the moisture up. I’ve read that wine caps prefer hardwood chips but I’ve seen them grow in all kinds of woody landscaping material.

A note about trying to cultivate Agaricus species— since there are plenty of wild species and that genus is notorious for lookalikes make sure you don’t slip on your IDs even though you’re growing in your own yard.

(This generally holds true for all outdoor shroom cultivation but most of the outdoor species like wine caps and shitake are pretty distinctive)

As far as outdoor inoculation, I’m not sure if there’s consensus on how to do it in a lawn or field setting. I would suspect that aerating the area or at least mowing it short would give spores the best chance to get into the dirt and stay moist enough.

I would also want to know if you could ‘start’ a spore print on agar or a liquid media to get the growing started and then homogenize that and spray it (analogous to making a yeast starter if we have beer brewing nerds around )

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 16, 2024

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I should be good on the agaricus ID. There's a couple spots where they grow every year that I visit and pick. They are delicious and definitely 100% Agaricus campestris.

I don't think I'll have any problems with the wood chips either. The stropharia seem to love the mulch my company uses and I can get as much of the exact same type as I want. Watering will be easy too, I've got rain barrels set up.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I tossed mushroom caps under two different trees in my yard and sprayed with the hose and successfully inoculated both. Different though, because I don’t eat them. I just love lots of beautiful big mushrooms being in my yard. When I go out after a rain I often smell them before I see them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

To wit: