Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
lol

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1781821902593438069?t=ABGa5-FVNAezzIrHA1xKTA&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Anti-Hero posted:

Well…CDPR did not expect your average gamer to be all caught up in the previous installments and it showed when I played it. The ending(s) to TW2 were pretty much irrelevant to the main beats of TW3.

So regardless, it sounds like I can pop in to BG3 and be a-ok. Just gotta find a spare 200 hours.

The witcher 2 is why mages are hosed in witcher 3. Its witcher 1 thats kinda ignored (mainly cos outside the big twist its mostly a book rehash that wasng event meant to star geralt) He gets his memory back in 3 cos by that point all the books were translated and released everywhere

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arist posted:

Just got to the inverted castle in SOTN, this game rules

SOTN held steady as my #1 game of all time for 20 straight years, only to be recently edged out by Bloodborne. It's insane to me that SOTN started development as a 32X game, absolutely insane.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

As Oscar follow ups go, it’s not as bad as Catwoman. But still, you’re better than that Murphy.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Max Wilco posted:

Question that I may need to field in a different thread: what kind of TV would be well suited for a PS5? I've wanted to upgrade to a 4K TV for a while, and there are some smaller ones that don't run for too much. However, I don't know if there are ones that are better in regards to latency and whatnot.

Not sure what you mean by smaller because it’s difficult to find small TVs anymore that are 4k and support HDMI 2.1, which is the minimum for future proofing.

Best ones are the LG OLED C1 or C2, there’s really no contest. Unfortunately in my experience seeing a real OLED for the first time makes every other type of panel look like crap forever. You might be able to find the cx or a c9 for a fair bit cheaper at this stage.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You want the following features
HDR
120hz
Variable refresh rate (VRR) support
Auto low-latency mode (ALLM) support - some TVs call this 'game mode'
HDMI 2.1

They all usually go together but some models will have one or two of them missing to cut corners.
Do not get a TV with any of the above missing. And if you're gonna buy a TV, google the model before making the jump. RTINGs is fantastic for this kind of stuff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Update: drat, inverted castle got hands

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I think it's ok not to use spoilers for a 27 year old game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think it's ok not to use spoilers for a 27 year old game

its not actually. use em. games are eternal, not just for christmas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Apparently not correct
https://twitter.com/InsiderGamingIG/status/1781997960705749387

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

lol

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Arist posted:

Man. I was in middle school when SOTN came out. I was complaining to a friend that the game was super short and ending sucked and it blew my mind there was a second half. Game did not lead you by the hand to find it

Unrelated, I just realized in Fallout how the did Lucy know what a raider was in episode 1.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 21, 2024

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
It's a bummer that the AI in Queens Blood is so terrible. I want a challenge but the opponents are so non-aggressive that it's easy to steam roll them early and dominate the board.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

RTINGs is fantastic for this kind of stuff.

RTING is really cool, yeah. They also have screen calibration guides, which I recently used for the first time. If I got my eff off expensive dream tv I’d probably pay to have someone come in with special equipment to measure outputs and do the color calibration properly, but I used the 10 point color calibration values RTING had in their TCL 8 Series calibration guide and it, along with all the other recommended tweaks, caused a marked improvement in image quality.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

oops

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

Question that I may need to field in a different thread: what kind of TV would be well suited for a PS5? I've wanted to upgrade to a 4K TV for a while, and there are some smaller ones that don't run for too much. However, I don't know if there are ones that are better in regards to latency and whatnot.

LG OLED at 77" is on sale (last years model) the C3 often for about $1700, which is the perfect TV for PS5.

If you need a smaller one, the 65" is now on sale (again, last years, C3) is often on sale now as well, but usually not much lower than the 77" so it's hard to go smaller.

Avoid the B3 as it's not bright enough IMO for a primary TV, and if you can wait until the next big sale late this year, this years version, the C4, will be a better pick as it's even brighter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have a Portal and willing to share your thoughts?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone have a Portal and willing to share your thoughts?

Yeah it rules did you have any specific questions about it?

Best use cases are playing rpgs or indies on the couch/bed while a TV show plays.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

Unrelated, I just realized in Fallout how the did Lucy know what a raider was in episode 1.

how did the Master not find their vault either with how the door was like, right there in the open lol but eh what can you do, after 3 and 4, willing to let those tiny small bits fly away given how good the rest of it turned out to be. goggins all day, goggins all night. :letsgo:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Aipsh posted:

Not sure what you mean by smaller because it’s difficult to find small TVs anymore that are 4k and support HDMI 2.1, which is the minimum for future proofing.

Best ones are the LG OLED C1 or C2, there’s really no contest. Unfortunately in my experience seeing a real OLED for the first time makes every other type of panel look like crap forever. You might be able to find the cx or a c9 for a fair bit cheaper at this stage.

Well, the TV I'm using now is the Samsung LN37A550, which is 37", so something that's a bit larger would be fine. Something like an 80" would be overkill (as well as being expensive).

I'd like an OLED, though the OLED displays seem to be where the price shoots up heavily.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You want the following features
HDR
120hz
Variable refresh rate (VRR) support
Auto low-latency mode (ALLM) support - some TVs call this 'game mode'
HDMI 2.1

They all usually go together but some models will have one or two of them missing to cut corners.
Do not get a TV with any of the above missing. And if you're gonna buy a TV, google the model before making the jump. RTINGs is fantastic for this kind of stuff.

Quoting this so I can reference the feature list later. Thanks.

XtraSmiley posted:

LG OLED at 77" is on sale (last years model) the C3 often for about $1700, which is the perfect TV for PS5.

If you need a smaller one, the 65" is now on sale (again, last years, C3) is often on sale now as well, but usually not much lower than the 77" so it's hard to go smaller.

Avoid the B3 as it's not bright enough IMO for a primary TV, and if you can wait until the next big sale late this year, this years version, the C4, will be a better pick as it's even brighter.

Best Buy has the LG 42" C3 Series OLED evo for $1,000. It's got 4K, HDR 10, 120Hz, G-SYNC (I dunno if that falls in line with VRR and/or low-latency mode), and 4 HDMI 2.1 inputs.

I wasn't planning on buying a TV right away, so it's probably better to wait for a sale. LG's website lists the C4 42" at $1,500, so depending on how much the price gets cut, that'll be the one to get.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:yeah:
It is best to wait for the sales on oled tv:s.

I got my LG C2 77" for 2500 euros (3400 sticker price), last year.
The similar 55" would have been 1400 euros (1800 sticker price) and the new C3:s seems to be same price range now.

I wouldn't get C4 this year unless you really got money to burn. Better to get a bigger last years model that's on a heavy discount.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Stellar blade overnight trip report.

The game really changes once you finish the first zone and get to the town hub. The nier influence begins to show itself over the souls style once you start exploring the wasteland with side quests popping up everywhere and more freedom of movement and exploration without relying on unlockable shortcuts but instead plentiful quicktravel points.

So far character dress up seems to be the usual horny outfits that everyone expected, but I didn't expect hair customization as well. Some hair styles clash really bad with the ever present ponytail, but the option to shorten it helps a bit. Text logs out in the field not only drip feed out lore but also give you a bit of exp for each one you collect which can be very helpful in getting your skill tree filled out.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
I've found two TVs in the size range I want that have all the aforementioned features:

Sony: https://www.costco.com/sony-55%22-c...4000187490.html

LG: https://www.costco.com/lg-55%22-cla...4000153255.html

Recommendations? I'm thinking the LG but I'd have to pull the trigger on it today to get it for $1,400. Does the Sony have anything that justifies the $300 extra? Anyone ever compared the UIs?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
LG is top of the line, if you can get one at a bargain then do so

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just finished Rebirth.

G.O.M.L.

(Game of my lifetime)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Goodbye."

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am still a wreck. Keep talking about bits to Lvg and going over things in my head.

I cannot even. It was magnificent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I am still a wreck. Keep talking about bits to Lvg and going over things in my head.

I cannot even. It was magnificent.

I have so many questions about the story still, but I figure most of them are getting answered in part 3.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

VideoGames posted:

Just finished Rebirth.

G.O.M.L.

(Game of my lifetime)
I'm glad you liked it :)

It's definitely my Game of the Year, no matter what comes out for the rest of the year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rebirth is an incredible game and it was a joy watching veeg play it even if he literally never ever EVER learned to look at the bars on the bottom-right of the screen and would just check if he had ATB charges by going into the menu and seeing if he was able to do anything/was always surprised when he had a limit break available. I mean honestly, bloody hell

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I just finished the chicken sidequest, amazing payoff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Rebirth is an incredible game and it was a joy watching veeg play it even if he literally never ever EVER learned to look at the bars on the bottom-right of the screen and would just check if he had ATB charges by going into the menu and seeing if he was able to do anything/was always surprised when he had a limit break available. I mean honestly, bloody hell

Veeg is pure and innocent, so its hard to get mad about his sometimes questionable gameplay.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ryoga posted:

Stellar blade overnight trip report.

The game really changes once you finish the first zone and get to the town hub. The nier influence begins to show itself over the souls style once you start exploring the wasteland with side quests popping up everywhere and more freedom of movement and exploration without relying on unlockable shortcuts but instead plentiful quicktravel points.

So far character dress up seems to be the usual horny outfits that everyone expected, but I didn't expect hair customization as well. Some hair styles clash really bad with the ever present ponytail, but the option to shorten it helps a bit. Text logs out in the field not only drip feed out lore but also give you a bit of exp for each one you collect which can be very helpful in getting your skill tree filled out.

did they improve the combat from the demo at all

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Cloud just pushed her hand away like nothing. They kissed, they've gone Saucer"

edit; upon reexamination i mistook what veegy said, but i'm not changing it. my headcannon is set in stone :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you can’t turn off the ponytail, that obviously means it’s critical to the plot later on

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Augus posted:

did they improve the combat from the demo at all

The combat was already great so I’m interested to hear how you think it would be improved.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Flowing Thot posted:

The combat was already great so I’m interested to hear how you think it would be improved.

the dodge sucked, movement in general felt really stiff, and the animation lock on all your attacks made the bayonetta-style combos feel not worth engaging with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Augus posted:

the dodge sucked, movement in general felt really stiff, and the animation lock on all your attacks made the bayonetta-style combos feel not worth engaging with

let's see you try running in heels