Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't know which thread this actually goes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6-kttHBLs

Just absolutely terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You hear their inner monologue which directly contradicts them being the killer.

Maybe they didn't know they were the killer?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Heavy Rain had the guts to make the killer be the only character who can't die no matter how bad you are. You can get shot at near point-blank in a grocery store robbery (there are multiple grocery store chase scenes), and the assailant then just wordlessly bails from the video game after he takes you out. Then the scene goes on like you didn't just get shot in the shoulder and a pleasant conversation ensues.

edit: This is a positive Little Thing, though. That takes confidence. I think Quantic Dream fumbled it but I genuinely can't think of any other video game that's tried secretly putting you in the bad guy's shoes as the third-act reveal and pulled it off. Are there any?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Apr 21, 2024

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Silent Hill 2 count?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Spec Ops the line maybe? that is more of a slow descent vs a quick reveal...

comedy answer: Braid

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

Heavy Rain had the guts to make the killer be the only character who can't die no matter how bad you are. You can get shot at near point-blank in a grocery store robbery (there are multiple grocery store chase scenes), and the assailant then just wordlessly bails from the video game after he takes you out. Then the scene goes on like you didn't just get shot in the shoulder and a pleasant conversation ensues.

edit: This is a positive Little Thing, though. That takes confidence. I think Quantic Dream fumbled it but I genuinely can't think of any other video game that's tried secretly putting you in the bad guy's shoes as the third-act reveal and pulled it off. Are there any?

The closest I can say without spoiling the game's story off-the-cuff is one of the Wadjet Eye adventure games does it well.

If you don't care about being spoiled; The specific game is Resonance.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CJacobs posted:

Didn't gears of war have a twist where you're the invader?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah the entire premise is hard to answer without spoiling everything but I honestly don’t think it’s that completely unheard of, lots of sci-fi stuff falls into that category (like at least one of the zero escape/nonary games visual novels by Uchikoshi is essentially that.)

for an low-impact example from a quarter century ago check out 9:05, playable here https://adamcadre.ac/if/905.html

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ilmucche posted:

I don't think much of a point is really made of it but it's not set on Earth, it's a colony and the Locust are probably native species, iirc.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think much of a point is really made of it but it's not set on Earth, it's a colony and the Locust are probably native species, iirc.

The one game I played was all about how the Locust were engineered by this one mad-scientist guy.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ilmucche posted:

Even the first game isn't really subtle about the parallels to the American MIC and the war for oil stuff creating tomorrow's enemies. TBF it's also not particularly deep or high art and more filled with cool action and pulpy stuff but it's there.

Hel has a new favorite as of 10:47 on Apr 21, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

bioshock infinite

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does ....Prey.... count?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Commander keen. In the first three epsiodes you're protecting earth from aliens, then in the forth epsiode on kid just goes flying off to alien planets and exterminating anything alien, and you realise oh the kids just a psycho.

Just a one guy Starship troopers. His granddad would be so sad about how much of a human first fascist his grandkid turned out to be. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Commander keen. In the first three epsiodes you're protecting earth from aliens, then in the forth epsiode on kid just goes flying off to alien planets and exterminating anything alien, and you realise oh the kids just a psycho.

Just a one guy Starship troopers. His granddad would be so sad about how much of a human first fascist his grandkid turned out to be. :(

Even the second and third episode have you discover the aliens are mostly being mind controlled by the real bad guys and then make it clear that does not stop Keen from using lethal force on them, including the women and children on their homeworld, one stage is flat out a school (and handily has the cipher key between the Universal Galactic Alphabet and English written on a chalkboard) filled with children!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Isn’t the Nameless One basically responsible for every bad thing that’s happened in the Planescape world for the past couple of centuries? Including all the personal tragedies of your party members?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(10 years old pretty mediocre third person shooter)
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified had a pretty good villain protagonist reveal at the end of the second act. It was probably the only thing I really liked in that game (otherwise it wasn't bad, just not good)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

dr_rat posted:

Keen 4-6 has a stun gun and the enemies are clearly seeing stars when shot.

He still stomps little yellow guys in Keen 6 and the flies in Keen 4.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of the Resident Evil light gun games has you as the bad guy but with amnesia.

Also Kotor, technically

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess depending on your interpretation one of the endings to Dark Souls I had you turn out be the bad guy. Or I guess both of them going by Dark Souls “jesus stop relighting the first flame you stupid gently caress” III. And also the Frenzied Flame ending of Elden Ring?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kennel posted:

(10 years old pretty mediocre third person shooter)
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified had a pretty good villain protagonist reveal at the end of the second act. It was probably the only thing I really liked in that game (otherwise it wasn't bad, just not good)

This game got so much more poo poo than it deserved. It was a perfectly fine game to get on sale and play

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It probably would have been received better if it hadn't been attached to the franchise it was and instead was just a new IP.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There was also the marketing/messaging that basically said "no one wants Xcom style games so we're using the license for third person shooters from now on." I am not sure that was ever true but it was definitely something a lot of people were concerned about.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

marshmallow creep posted:

There was also the marketing/messaging that basically said "no one wants Xcom style games so we're using the license for third person shooters from now on." I am not sure that was ever true but it was definitely something a lot of people were concerned about.

That's generally why people get up in arms when a franchise jumps genres, because it's hard to get feedback across that the players WANT the franchise, but not the game they're pushing. All that gets back in marketing data is either "Make Sequels of New Game" or "Nobody's Buying Franchise, Shelve It". Games like XCOM and Valkyria Chronicles 4 popping into existence were genuine pleasant surprises, because what was expected was The Bureau and Valkyria Revolutions to launch, die, and then their respective franchises would never be seen again because they sold badly.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a list of games that got spinoffs nobody wanted because they came at the expense of an actual installment.
  • Metroid Prime: Federation Force
  • Valkyrie Elysium
  • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Suicide Squad was a death of a thousand cuts. Nobody wanted to revisit the Arkham universe since it was finished. Nevermind that it was a live-service game that came too late, completely missed the point of them being a SUICIDE squad (like the 2016 movie), and people watching kinda wished they made a real Justice League game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nuts & Bolts at least didn't come at the cost of a mainline game; it was developed separately as its own thing, and then mid-development, they pasted the Banjo Kazooie IP into it to try to make it sell better. I don't know if something similar applies to Federation Force, but it wouldn't surprise me.

At least Nuts & Bolts is a good game in its own right, even if it isn't a "proper" BK game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thanks for the fun answers to my dumb question basically asking you to spoil games. I was just so curious and that's the only way to ask.

I came up with another one where you are secretly the bad guy but only if you aren't paying much attention: It's Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

Every one of the player characters, including Claptrap and Handsome Doppled Jack, is a villain who you fight and kill in Borderlands 1 and 2. Except for Athena, who quickly becomes a friend in one of the first game's DLCs.

You might not even remember them because they were such minor characters, but the devs did. A bunch of their skills and skill names foretell their lovely fates. One of the player characters, Wilhelm, becomes more robotic if you go down a specific skill tree, resembling his boss fight more and more.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:21 on Apr 21, 2024

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nuts & Bolts at least didn't come at the cost of a mainline game; it was developed separately as its own thing, and then mid-development, they pasted the Banjo Kazooie IP into it to try to make it sell better. I don't know if something similar applies to Federation Force, but it wouldn't surprise me.

At least Nuts & Bolts is a good game in its own right, even if it isn't a "proper" BK game.

Federation Force wouldn't be surprising, Nintendo's done that before. Even Splatoon was very nearly hit with the Mario IP during development.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like how many playable characters you can use at once in Arc: Twilight of the Spirits, I have 5 mainline party members with Darc now and all of them are used at once. And since one of them can mind control other enemimes that brings the total up to 7 because even when that's happening she can still fight on her own too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Skyrim there's keys formed like dragon claws almost exclusively found in dungeons with draugr. This keys goes to puzzle doors, but the solution to the puzzles are engraved on the keys. At first this seems like writing the code to your debit card on the actual card. But in-universe it's speculated that this is done intentionally, not to keep people out but to keep the draugr in. This is because it's believed that the draugr isn't sentient enough to figure out the puzzle. It's kinda like the fantasy version of "click here to prove you're not a robot".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

The head of the publisher flat out said that in an interview, that strategy games were outdated and shooters are what games are now.

CJacobs posted:

Thanks for the fun answers to my dumb question basically asking you to spoil games. I was just so curious and that's the only way to ask.

I came up with another one where you are secretly the bad guy but only if you aren't paying much attention: It's Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

Every one of the player characters, including Claptrap and Handsome Doppled Jack, is a villain who you fight and kill in Borderlands 1 and 2. Except for Athena, who quickly becomes a friend in one of the first game's DLCs.

You might not even remember them because they were such minor characters, but the devs did. A bunch of their skills and skill names foretell their lovely fates. One of the player characters, Wilhelm, becomes more robotic if you go down a specific skill tree, resembling his boss fight more and more.

IIRC you don't fight Aurelia but she's probably the most blatantly villainous of the lot. Ironically one of the ones who actively calls out Jack at the end, mostly because she's in it for fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here is an actual spoiler, this time for for 3: you're correct, Aurelia was created for PreSequel! So she was brought back as a main villain in 3. She is just as much of a queen on the other side of the conflict. The handsome doppelganger was also retconned back to life because the writers liked him so much!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The handsome doppelganger was also retconned back to life because the writers liked him so much!
Yeah, specifically as an ally and not an antagonist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/iQ23ffj.mp4
I've been having a good time with all the weapon abilities you get in Kirby and the Forgotten Land, but the best part is that you can use them on all the Waddle Dees you bring back to the central town :hellyeah:

Yes, they get up and shake it off a second later, who cares

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://i.imgur.com/iQ23ffj.mp4
I've been having a good time with all the weapon abilities you get in Kirby and the Forgotten Land, but the best part is that you can use them on all the Waddle Dees you bring back to the central town :hellyeah:

Yes, they get up and shake it off a second later, who cares

Don't bully the Waddle Dees, they're basically doing a customer service job and you are being a very bad customer. :colbert:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The most recent kirby games last few bosses were unexpected but interesting

Edit: their designs to be clear. Gameplay was fine too but the giant body horror monster wall was a surprise

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

Edit: their designs to be clear. Gameplay was fine too but the giant body horror monster wall was a surprise

The worst part of it was the final boss's final QTE where you have to both wiggle the analog stick WHILE mashing one of the face buttons. That was the most stressful QTE I've ever had to do, although what it resulted in was pretty rad.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Two Best Friends Play playing every single David Cage game and breaking down why they make no sense are about as thorough of an in depth analysis as you can get as to why he's such a terrible writer.

That studio would make better games without him but also it's his studio so it will never happen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shard posted:

Two Best Friends Play playing every single David Cage game and breaking down why they make no sense are about as thorough of an in depth analysis as you can get as to why he's such a terrible writer.

That studio would make better games without him but also it's his studio so it will never happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafXsOwj680

absolute classic, still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ZeusCannon posted:

That's been a thing in Kirby games for awhile, dating back at least as far as Kirby's Dreamland 3 (skip to about 40s in for the surprise):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1gAL6x4MI