Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how the heck do you keep nere alive?

ive tried five times and every single time he gets blooted into the magma

is it even worth keeping him alive?

If you really want to lean into it, keeping him alive and loyal to the Cult gets you an extra Parasite... which you can also get by killing him. Keeping him alive and getting him to abandon the cult has the worst rewards of any outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Zodium posted:

i kill his rear end every time. he drops stuff though so i don't want him in the lava either way.

He's a smug piece of poo poo who murders a terrified, powerless slave girl in one of the most horrible ways I can imagine (being dropped onto magma) right in front of her brother who thought he was about to be reunited with her against all odds, and had been desperately trying to dig her free of the cave in. Nere gets Hold Personed and slit from stem to stern, on sight, every single time I see that scumbag. If he has plot threads and rewards beyond that first meeting, I ain't ever gonna see em.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

SlimGoodbody posted:

If he has plot threads and rewards beyond that first meeting, I ain't ever gonna see em.

good news!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zodium posted:

i kill his rear end every time. he drops stuff though so i don't want him in the lava either way.

You can loot him in the lava, just give him a push.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Cavelcade posted:

You can loot him in the lava, just give him a push.

I did that in my playthrough as well. Only regret not being able to get the head for my mushroom friend.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ulvino posted:

I did that in my playthrough as well. Only regret not being able to get the head for my mushroom friend.

Jump someone into the lava with a good Strength stat and just have them throw his corpse back up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Y'know, it's really a shame that you can only have Astarion kill Gandrel in a cutscene if you don't know he's a Vampire. It's a fun little scene. "It WASN'T a good experience." "...That bad, huh?" "That bad."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Y'know, it's really a shame that you can only have Astarion kill Gandrel in a cutscene if you don't know he's a Vampire. It's a fun little scene. "It WASN'T a good experience." "...That bad, huh?" "That bad."

Oh weird... That explains things though, I guess. Since in my playthrough I was practically rubbing my hands together in anticipation, prodding Asty along, hoping he'd stab the guy and give me some drama to watch unfold. But I guess because I knew he was a vampire already, he tried keeping things casual with Gandrel. What a letdown! Ah well, I ended up talking to him again with my character, then had Asty backstab the guy mid-convo

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

finally got minthara without killing any of the tieflings. i love that she’s standing in halsins tent. what a dick. i love her

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

wizard2 posted:

You just kind of draw the Duegar's attention away from the magma and shut down the threats in priority with debuffs, death. As for keeping him alive? Is it worth it? No. Not particularly..but you DEFINITELY want his boots and possibly severed head as well, so try to keep him nearby.

Interestingly, it was revealed recently that Nere was originally intended to be a joinable Companion character, but most of his material was scrapped over the course of Early Access, which is why there's such a seemingly big production around him.

Huh, I can't imagine actually recruiting Nere, even on an evil run. On a run like that the gnome murder may not matter much but he's ultimately still the Absolute's lackey in a position of weakness. I'd have quite happily recruited Sazza or that weird-rear end cleric of Loviatar in the goblin camp, but Nere hardly seemed distinct from any other true soul.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Made it back to act 2 as I once again try to complete honor mode. A little confused because I reached the Inn and almost none of the Tieflings are there despite getting what I consider the "best" grove resolution in act 1??? Google tells me I must have forgotten to talk to Rolan and/or failed some dialogue check which drastically alters the course of their story. I don't remember one way or another so I guess that was it. Maybe I spaced out as I beelined other quests.

Not that fussed because my only goal is to get the stupid gold dice without regard for whatever ending that nets me. But man it is insane how many story branches there are. Didn't tell some random guy "stop being a dickhead" as you ran by? RIP several multi-act plot lines (and I assume the associated XP and loot) lol.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Made it back to act 2 as I once again try to complete honor mode. A little confused because I reached the Inn and almost none of the Tieflings are there despite getting what I consider the "best" grove resolution in act 1??? Google tells me I must have forgotten to talk to Rolan and/or failed some dialogue check which drastically alters the course of their story. I don't remember one way or another so I guess that was it. Maybe I spaced out as I beelined other quests.

Not that fussed because my only goal is to get the stupid gold dice without regard for whatever ending that nets me. But man it is insane how many story branches there are. Didn't tell some random guy "stop being a dickhead" as you ran by? RIP several multi-act plot lines (and I assume the associated XP and loot) lol.

drat that's rough. did you lose dammon?

learning summons can drink potions from the party tab has been game-changing. chaining potions of speed on my 27 str air myrmidon and deva while healing them up inbetween is insane.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No thankfully. I still have Dammon, Mol, and Alfira. That appears to be it though. No Mattis, no Rolan and his family, no Bex. Not sure what’s gonna happen if I reach the Moonrise jail or eventually sorcerous sundries

Barcus survived the Nere encounter which he did not on my last run so there’s that I guess. I was curious how that would proceed into act 3 but then I died so it remains a mystery. Does someone else appear to try and stop Wulbren from doing Faerûn 9/11?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

hmm .. not sure if worth continuing after locking yourself out of bex's cookies. maybe just restart.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
On a whim, and because I feel weird having three characters who basically fill the role of Hits Things With 2H Weapons Hard, I decided to see how Lae'zel would do as a Way of the Open Hand monk, with tavern brawler thrown in of course. With the setup I'm trying, she has a worryingly small health pool (less than even Gale's) and questionable defenses thanks to no armor, but mother of gently caress SO MUCH MOVEMENT SO MUCH SPEED SO MUCH DAMAGE. I threw the Sparkle Hands on her for good measure, because why not tack on +1 attack rolls and a bit of lightning damage? The alien lizard death tornado SHALL NOT REST. :black101:

Also, thanks to the power of mods, not only can I get something approaching the ghost-pale skin tone I was looking for earlier, I can also get much cooler horns. The blue spots on them glow and everything! they're also so long that it's a pain to get a decent screenshot, but that's the tax for looking weird and/or cool

yes it's an oddly specific look: I'm trying to kinda-sorta emulate the Xaela I used to play in Heavensward.

Anyways, I think I finally ran into the main storyline and THE ABSOLUTE, roughly 30 hours in. This scene was so jarring that Zehra had to go to camp to hang out with her emotional support best puppy ever i love him so much, and to make Astarion look even more foppish. (also he might be a Bard now, I think it fits his character nicely)

i forgot to turn his hat on

Then she made a new friend, and ruined a goblin's day. Halsin was in there too, but he's not as cute as the baby owlbear. :allears:

that last image is peak DARK SIDE POINTS GAINED

Then the lead cultist gave her a headache, so he got a death glare, then death. Sitting on the throne of the guy you just killed never gets old!

most of that fight was Astarion sniping the trash mobs from the rafters, while Shadowheart AOE'd and crowd controlled the entrance to his room and Lae'zel and Zehra beat the ever-loving poo poo out of Dror himself. Planning and scouting ahead...good?

Other things happened too, like the easiest spinning-tile puzzle ever, a Drow taking a nap, and a side trip to the Underdark for a noisy sword and some Paladin gear, but this is already too much image spam. Also, it was like 3:00 AM and, well, the tiefling party can wait for tomorrow. I was already having a great time with this game, and tweaking the basic companions to fill in gaps makes it so, so much more fun.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

loving these posts. owlbear cub is the best, I wish you could bring him along like scratch. :cheersdoge:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did everything in the owlbear cave as described on the wiki, but the cub didn't show up in the goblin camp :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You cannot have already made the Goblin Camp hostile and you need to long rest at least one day before the owlbear cub will show up.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The game never makes it clear how often you need to long rest to trigger specific cutscenes (spoiler: it's a ton more than a normal player would)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Martian posted:

I did everything in the owlbear cave as described on the wiki, but the cub didn't show up in the goblin camp :(

Zodium posted:

he can sometimes get stuck eating mom forever. if he won't move, use this console command.

code:
Osi.DB_FOR_BUGFIX_SendOwlbearCubToGOB(1)
this should send him to the goblin camp where you can proceed normally.

requires the script extender so console players are probably screwed.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Beasteh posted:

The game never makes it clear how often you need to long rest to trigger specific cutscenes (spoiler: it's a ton more than a normal player would)

More than a normal player would unless they're playing a sorcerer or wizard you mean.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

way more than that. there's a camp event for resting immediately after landing on the beach. i'm talking don't even take ten steps. they really need to make camp event notifications part of the base game.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

You cannot have already made the Goblin Camp hostile and you need to long rest at least one day before the owlbear cub will show up.

Yeah, I did this, but it wasn't there.

Zodium posted:

requires the script extender so console players are probably screwed.

Console, so indeed probably screwed. Oh well, can't have everything on the first playthrough. Goblins are all dead now, anyway.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Docjowles posted:

No thankfully. I still have Dammon, Mol, and Alfira. That appears to be it though. No Mattis, no Rolan and his family, no Bex. Not sure what’s gonna happen if I reach the Moonrise jail or eventually sorcerous sundries

Barcus survived the Nere encounter which he did not on my last run so there’s that I guess. I was curious how that would proceed into act 3 but then I died so it remains a mystery. Does someone else appear to try and stop Wulbren from doing Faerûn 9/11?

Lmao did you murder Barcus with an aoe? I’ve never even seen him get attacked.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

He dies to Nere’s legendary action pretty easily and you can’t always control it unless you make the fight much harder by not allying some of the duergar

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

hmm .. not sure if worth continuing after locking yourself out of bex's cookies. maybe just restart.

It gets even more cursed because somehow every honor mode run the owlbear cub aggros on me during the fight. I don’t kill him because I am not a monster but he never shows up at the goblin camp either. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, I’m not targeting him or splashing him with AoE. Never had this issue on lower difficulties. But it is a bummer

E:

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah pretty sure it was Nere’s legendary that took him out. This time I immediately landed hold person so he didn’t get to do poo poo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I would simply not attack mama owlbear

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

the voice actors really are giving the fans what they want

https://twitter.com/hhaeresis/status/1782150720541663419

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This game made me feel bad about killing an owlbear. :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

after blowing up the foundry, it was time to face gortash. during the failed burglary attempt in his office at the beginning of act 3, I had killed his guards there in a close and exciting fight, so I thought it was only fair to leave my summons behind. level 1 karlach was allowed to come along with a couple of invisibility potions for cathartic purposes, but this was between me and enver.

except it wasn't. the annoying fucker had most impolitely gotten himself four new banites, who took advantage of my being distracted with taking dramatic pictures to hide themselves behind pillars and furniture. I wasn't having any of that, especially with all the traps in the office active, so I decided to take the fight into the bust room, which also conveniently clustered them up.

after an arrow of many targets and a regular shot, my hat was fully charged, my eyes were glowing, and everyone got hit by confusion. gortash used his one of his legendary resistance charges, which was pretty ideal. the confused banites proceeded to beat each other up real good. a couple arrows of humanoid slaying plus regular shots finished them in two rounds. at last, it was between me and gortash in a dramatic rooftop battle.

he actually put up a good fight once he activated Avatar of Tyranny. I got hit by one of those big hands and it must have rolled near maximum damage. at least I took over 100 through my universal resistance potion, and I felt loviatar's love for a moment there, but in any case, I got through it, and with his legendary resistance charges eaten up, it was time for the fatality move. good try, but this was only ever going to end one way. I shrunk gortash back down with a scroll, and unceremoniously tossed his rear end off the tower.

good riddance. 🖕

Docjowles posted:

It gets even more cursed because somehow every honor mode run the owlbear cub aggros on me during the fight. I don’t kill him because I am not a monster but he never shows up at the goblin camp either. Not sure what I’m doing wrong, I’m not targeting him or splashing him with AoE. Never had this issue on lower difficulties. But it is a bummer

you need to kill owlbear dad before owlbear mom.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Reveilled posted:

Huh, I can't imagine actually recruiting Nere, even on an evil run. On a run like that the gnome murder may not matter much but he's ultimately still the Absolute's lackey in a position of weakness. I'd have quite happily recruited Sazza or that weird-rear end cleric of Loviatar in the goblin camp, but Nere hardly seemed distinct from any other true soul.

i have never tested but apparently if you interact with the cleric while buck naked you receive an extra bonus to charisma and constitution and some interesting dialogue with shadowheart and astarion who are both apparently very into the entire process

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

i have never tested but apparently if you interact with the cleric while buck naked you receive an extra bonus to charisma and constitution and some interesting dialogue with shadowheart and astarion who are both apparently very into the entire process

Shadowheart and Astarion offer their commentary regardless, though only one of them. For the bonus to the checks, you just need to remove your Armor. Gloves and boots and hat and stuff can stay on.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

you need to kill owlbear dad before owlbear mom.

Dang it! Oh well once I botch this run I should be able to get him next time lol

And hell yeah eat poo poo Gortash

BlazetheInferno posted:

Shadowheart and Astarion offer their commentary regardless, though only one of them. For the bonus to the checks, you just need to remove your Armor. Gloves and boots and hat and stuff can stay on.

Just an aside you lose the buff if the character that got it dies. As opposed to other effects that persist through rests like the Zaith'isk or whatever. Kinda sucks. (skill issue, simply don't die, duh)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

personally i feel like you look more naked if you just have boots and a hat on but that’s just mho

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a few "permanent" buffs that will vanish if you have the misfortune of dying. Loviatar's Love is one, Githrezai Mind Barrier from Act 2 is another. Stupid imp in the House of Hope blasted my Sorc off the platform on the last run. :argh: Araj's explosive blood potion might also wipe on character death, I don't remember.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The finale transition erases buffs doesn’t reset weapon uses and takes away the portent die for divination wizards.

Like a tailor made gently caress you to my character :argh: That is a shelved project while I wonder how the gently caress you turn that off for the next run.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Black Noise posted:

The finale transition erases buffs doesn’t reset weapon uses and takes away the portent die for divination wizards.

Like a tailor made gently caress you to my character :argh: That is a shelved project while I wonder how the gently caress you turn that off for the next run.

do portent dice not refresh with a long rest potion?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Nope. Made a point to drink them all right before the climb since there is no pod on the higher difficulties.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Black Noise posted:

Nope. Made a point to drink them all right before the climb since there is no pod on the higher difficulties.

oh, that transition. that sounds like a bug. I don't remember losing buffs on my first honor game, and my tactician test save doesn't lose buffs either. only in the morphic pool -> upper city transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I’m talking about the pool. The way portent is applied it’s a hidden status effect and the scene wipes those. Rude as gently caress since we were full strength :colbert: