Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure I buy that a multi billion $ company is trying to intimidate witnesses with middle school level pranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

KillHour posted:

I'm not sure I buy that a multi billion $ company is trying to intimidate witnesses with middle school level pranks.
Yeah, this feels like some dumbshit middle manager level thing, not orders from on high

Still speaks to the culture over there

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Epiphyte posted:

Yeah, this feels like some dumbshit middle manager level thing, not orders from on high

Still speaks to the culture over there

Feels more like the witness drove over a nail.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

AtomikKrab posted:

They don't do weird loving around things with their employees,
Other then adding true modern conveniences like computers for buying food court items and self checkout (legit good if you are only buying a few items), Costco has not done any weird loving around with their entire business in general, not just employees.

It is as consistent and reliable today as it was 30 YEARS AGO when my local store first opened.

Once the founder (?) CEO leaves/dies, as long as c-suite brain rot remains alive in America, that's when Costco will be hosed.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other costco fun facts.

Americanexpress used to be the costco credit card. but opps AX got to greedy with their cut and lost on of their biggest vectors into the AX card brand

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

PhazonLink posted:

other costco fun facts.

Americanexpress used to be the costco credit card. but opps AX got to greedy with their cut and lost on of their biggest vectors into the AX card brand

I'm still Real Mad about how AX hosed this up. The cashback system was amazing.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cheesus posted:

Other then adding true modern conveniences like computers for buying food court items and self checkout (legit good if you are only buying a few items), Costco has not done any weird loving around with their entire business in general, not just employees.

It is as consistent and reliable today as it was 30 YEARS AGO when my local store first opened.

Once the founder (?) CEO leaves/dies, as long as c-suite brain rot remains alive in America, that's when Costco will be hosed.

He literally just left in January.

https://investor.costco.com/news/ne...idend-Declared/

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

PhazonLink posted:

other costco fun facts.

Yeah I was just about to get an AMEX and whoops, my main reason for getting one went away

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just in time for them to finally build one where i live. fantastic :smith:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just in time for them to finally build one where i live. fantastic :smith:

Anything can happen, but I still believe in Costco until shown otherwise.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

No wonder their stock is going up :unsmigghh:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Silly Burrito posted:

Anything can happen, but I still believe in Costco until shown otherwise.

i have less than zero faith in c-suite shitheads, the costco ceo was an exceptionally rare exception. i'll be a lot more surprised if they don't gently caress things up, even if the new guy wants to continue with business as usual the shareholders have been screaming at them to change poo poo for decades and who knows if he has the spine or even the desire to fight back.

it'll be a bummer if and when they gently caress it all up, but at least it will be very funny.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I always thought Costco was private until right now

shareholders are the worst

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Costco going bad will be the sign that enshittification is truly baked in and can't be stopped.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

KillHour posted:

Really? Let me surprise you

eBay Inc. to Pay $3 Million in Connection with Corporate Cyberstalking Campaign Targeting Massachusetts Couple

www.justice.gov - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 posted:

BOSTON – eBay Inc., the global ecommerce company, has agreed to pay a $3 million criminal penalty for an August 2019 harassment and intimidation campaign targeting a Massachusetts couple in retaliation for their online coverage of eBay, and for its obstruction of the investigation that followed.   

eBay was charged criminally with two counts of stalking through interstate travel, two counts of stalking through electronic communications services, one count of witness tampering and one count of obstruction of justice and has entered into a deferred prosecution agreement. Pursuant to the agreement, eBay admitted to a detailed recitation of all the relevant facts about its conduct and agreed to pay a criminal penalty of $3 million, which is the statutory maximum fine for these six felony offenses. As part of this resolution, eBay will also be required to retain an independent corporate compliance monitor for a period of three years and to make extensive enhancements to its compliance program.  

quote:

“eBay engaged in absolutely horrific, criminal conduct. The company’s employees and contractors involved in this campaign put the victims through pure hell, in a petrifying campaign aimed at silencing their reporting and protecting the eBay brand,” said Acting United States Attorney Joshua S. Levy. “We left no stone unturned in our mission to hold accountable every individual who turned the victims’ world upside-down through a never-ending nightmare of menacing and criminal acts. The investigation led to felony convictions for seven individuals, all former eBay employees or contractors, and the ringleader was sentenced to 57 months in federal prison.”

Levy continued, “Today’s criminal resolution with the company imposes the maximum fine that the law allows under the statutes, holding eBay accountable for a corporate culture that led to this unprecedented stalking campaign. The corporate monitoring of eBay will be in place for the next three years and will ensure that eBay’s senior leadership sets a tone that makes compliance with the law paramount, implements safeguards to prevent future criminal activity, and makes clear to every eBay employee that the idea of terrorizing innocent people and obstructing investigations will not be tolerated.”  

“Today’s settlement holds e-Bay criminally and financially responsible for emotionally, psychologically, and physically terrorizing the publishers of an online newsletter out of fear that bad publicity would adversely impact their Fortune 500 company. It also puts in place some much needed checks and balances to ensure an overhaul of e-Bay’s corporate culture by requiring it to implement a revamped compliance and ethics program designed to prevent the recurrence of the appalling conduct we uncovered in this case,” said Jodi Cohen, Special Agent in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation Boston Division. “No one should ever feel unsafe in their own home, and while this settlement cannot erase the significant distress this couple suffered, we hope it will deter others from engaging in similar conduct.”

According to eBay’s admissions, between approximately Aug. 5, 2019 and Aug. 23, 2019, Jim Baugh, eBay’s former Senior Director of Safety and Security, and six other members of eBay’s security team targeted the victims for their roles in publishing a newsletter that reported on issues of interest to eBay sellers. Senior executives at eBay were frustrated with the newsletter’s tone and content, and with the comments posted beneath the newsletter’s articles. The harassment campaign arose from communications between those executives and Baugh.  

Baugh and his co-conspirators executed a harassment campaign intended to intimidate the victims and to change the content of the newsletter’s reporting. The campaign included sending anonymous and disturbing deliveries to the victims’ home, including a book on surviving the death of a spouse, a bloody pig mask, a fetal pig and a funeral wreath and live insects; sending private Twitter messages and public tweets criticizing the newsletter’s content and threatening to visit the victims in Natick; and traveling to Natick to surveil the victims and install a GPS tracking device on their car. The harassment also featured Craigslist posts inviting the public for sexual encounters at the victims’ home.

The victims spotted the surveillance team and contacted local police. After learning of the Natick Police Department’s investigation, Baugh made false statements to police and internal investigators, and he and his team deleted digital evidence related to the cyberstalking campaign and falsified records intended to throw the police off the trail. 

The seven convicted eBay employees and contractors include Baugh, who was sentenced to 57 months in prison in September 2022; David Harville, former Director of Global Resiliency, who was sentenced to 24 months in prison in September 2022; Stephanie Popp, former Senior Manager of Global Intelligence, who was sentenced to 12 months in prison in October 2022; Philip Cooke, a former Senior Manager of Security Operations, who was sentenced to 18 months in prison and 12 months of home confinement in July 2021; Stephanie Stockwell and Veronica Zea, a former Manager of Global Intelligence and a contract intelligence analyst, respectively, who were each sentenced to one year in home confinement in October and November 2022.  Brian Gilbert, a former Senior Manager of Security Operations, has pleaded guilty and is awaiting sentencing.   

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Someone going on Sunday Morning TV and saying "I serve with some real scumbags. Matt Gaetz, he paid minors to have sex with him at drug parties. Bob Good endorsed a known neo-Nazi. These people used to walk around with white hoods at night, now they’re walking around with white hoods in the daytime.” probably isn't news.

The fact that it's coming from a republican member of the House (from Texas, no less) is. We're a far far distance away from the days of the so-called "11th commandment", being "Thou shalt not speak ill of a Fellow Republican"

I'd joke that Reagan is spinning in his grave, but considering (waves at the last few years, people carrying water for Putin in Congress, etcetera).. if that was possible, the fucker would have spun so fast he would have reached escape velocity a long time ago, and would be somewhere around the orbit of Jupiter right now.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it'll be a bummer if and when they gently caress it all up, but at least it will be very funny.
We can't say "I told you so" to our bosses, but we sure can to our corporate overlords.

I don't like that it's the only coping mechanism, but what else can we do?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

KillHour posted:

Feels more like the witness drove over a nail.

Maybe but I can't blame them for being skittish when another whistle-blower ended up dead in a "suicide"

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe but I can't blame them for being skittish when another whistle-blower ended up dead in a "suicide"

He very likely actually did commit suicide

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Professor Beetus posted:

Costco going bad will be the sign that enshittification is truly baked in and can't be stopped.

this is not a joke

if costco falls to the same pressures that have made everything worse in our lifetime, that's pretty much game

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Probably, but whistleblowers and witnesses only get one life to find out if that's true or not.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fart Amplifier posted:

Is there evidence that has come to light that convinced you?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

I share your intuition (if that guy really thought Boeing was trying to kill him, why just tell people he's not suicidal, why not do everything in his power to stay in front of a camera and avoid isolation whenever possible. Sounds like a suicidal guy who found a vengeful alibi).

But the thing is that "Boeing very likely did not murder the guy who tried to do the thing I'm trying to do" is actually not reassuring at all. If I were a Boeing whistleblower I would be paranoid as loving hell right now, and rationally so.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I share your intuition (if that guy really thought Boeing was trying to kill him, why just tell people he's not suicidal, why not do everything in his power to stay in front of a camera and avoid isolation whenever possible. Sounds like a suicidal guy who found a vengeful alibi).

:confused: Boeing Whistleblower Warned Family Friend 'It's Not Suicide' Before Death

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Yeah that's what I'm referencing. If you really think a massive corporation is trying to kill you and make it look like a suicide - wouldn't you want to prevent it, not just prevent people from thinking it's a suicide but actually prevent yourself being murdered?

So you'd go to the lawyers you're already working with and say, hey, I think I'm in danger here, let's figure something out. At least a buddy system or something - don't be along for a second longer than necessary. Don't drive alone, done hang out in your car alone, etc. But that's where they found this guy - in his car, alone, by himself, where he either was murdered or committed suicide. If he really thought Boeing was trying to kill him, then it seems he accepted the death as totally inevitable. Frankly that shows so much apathy to his own self-preservation that when he said he wasn't suicidal it was incorrect. So that story seems implausible/unrealistic to me.

The story that makes sense to me: man's career has been ruined because he took a stand against his evil workplace's willful disregard for human safety. He is depressed and anxious, feels Boeing is going to beat him, is coming after him personally. He's in the middle of a grueling deposition where his personal credibility is being attacked by lawyers who are real-deal sharks. It's extremely stressful and demoralizing. So he figures out that he can exit his whole life situation as a martyr rather than as a suicide perpetrator, and in a way that actually draws enormous negative attention onto Boeing. That story makes total sense to me.

Obviously I am just an internet guy and the crime should be investigated by an actual team of detectives who should seriously pursue the possibility that it was exactly as the victim warned, a murder to silence him and threaten future whistleblowers. I just personally think it probably wasn't that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah sure, just like Putin's enemies are allergic to windows

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

Is there evidence that has come to light that convinced you?

The family thinks it was suicide, the stress of the trials had been causing physical and mental health issues, and the investigations so far have confirmed it was suicide.

A person at some point allegedly saying they weren't going to commit suicide doesn't mean their suicide is actually a murder.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

multi-hour depositions are a FANTASTIC way to feel suicidally depressed in an acute timeframe. you can get savagely grilled for seven hours before you hit most states "upper limit" on how much a person is allowed to be subject to that particular mind torture, at which point you may discover this is more a loose guideline and more may yet be on its way

i got put through some depositions in which i was a straight up squeaky clean individual with nothing even remotely compromising or disqualifying about my character that the opposition could dig into, but they still felt like the mental version of worf's torture stick trial strung out for fuckin hours. dont wanna know what it was going to be like for a critical whistleblower in a potentially $jillions case that a major corporation desperately wants to fuckin destroy you in to protect itself

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

If this occurred in China, where someone 'committed suicide' after blowing the whistle on a massive company that was vital to national security during a trial, would people just uncritically accept that it was a suicide? Or is the US an extra pure and noble state where this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

celadon posted:

If this occurred in China, where someone 'committed suicide' after blowing the whistle on a massive company that was vital to national security during a trial, would people just uncritically accept that it was a suicide? Or is the US an extra pure and noble state where this sort of thing doesn't happen.

If there's zero evidence that it was something else than suicide, then who cares?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

i would probably wonder about it either way but with the understanding that the limits on what i can expect as vetted, credible reporting or legal review is massively different between the two

if it was russia though, for instance, i wouldn't bother wondering about it much

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

celadon posted:

Has anyone uncritically accepted it? People have posted their reasons why they agree that it seems like he committed suicide, which implies they actually put some critical thought into it.

Staluigi posted:

i would probably wonder about it either way but with the understanding that the limits on what i can expect as vetted, credible reporting or legal review is massively different between the two

if it was russia though, for instance, i wouldn't bother wondering about it much

Yeah, pretty much. It isn't like vengeful suicides aren't a never-thing. Remember in the Bush era when that census guy was found dead after telling everyone he'd never commit suicide and that if he died someone murdered him, and his body was staged with a note indicating he was killed for being a census taker?

He had, actually, committed suicide.

It's fine to be suspicious and desire answers, but there doesn't seem to be much here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Also worth noting that he died after he had already given his testimony which, while not proof in and of itself, in conjunction with everything else makes it less likely that a targeted hit would make much sense.

While we don't KNOW it was a suicide, it seems the much more probable answer at this point.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Regardless of who killed him, Boeing is clearly at fault

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

celadon posted:

He blew the whistle years ago, and the trial is long over.

Unless you're just going to believe any conspiracy, you need credible evidence

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
After Epstein you can't blame people for casting doubt when the person who says "If I die it's not a suicide" passes away suddenly.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

After Epstein you can't blame people for casting doubt when the person who says "If I die it's not a suicide" passes away suddenly.

You can always blame people for believing conspiracy theories without credible evidence

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can always blame people for believing conspiracy theories without credible evidence

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

He blew the whistle years ago, and the trial is long over.

Unless you're just going to believe any conspiracy, you need credible evidence

I'm not sure why you keep saying misinformation about this, you've been corrected on it several times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

He literally died the night before he was expected to give more testimony in a deposition. Not sure people are brought in for depositions for trials that are long over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Do y’all who think the Boeing whistleblower wasn’t a suicide because he said he wouldn’t do it also think that John McAffee was murdered?

“I won’t” is, as I sadly know first hand, exactly what people prepared to do it say. And as other people said, he was under immense, unbelievable stress arrayed against one of the most powerful MIC giants of all time.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 22, 2024